One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-10 16:07:52

SpiritBomb32

The problem with communication

There's a big issue with talking to people in this game, players in groups talk over each other (literally the text boxes) so players can easily ignore or just miss important details. The red text box of a victim of murder really helps distinct the player and what they are saying a bit better.
In real life you could say, "Hey can you help me with this." And they can say sure or whatever and help you with it. But in Ohol It's more like you chase the guy while shouting hey hey hey while hoping he notices you chasing him for 5 min and bothers to stop. Even then expressing things like can you help me with x or something and they have to follow you and its 10x more complicated.

Voice chat pls?

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#2 2019-10-10 16:34:19

jinbaili83

Re: The problem with communication

No chance, voice chat would be immersion breaking.

Try doing /yoohoo and shouting person name and hope they see it.

Mabye this could be a comand feature? Only targeted player would get some sort of notification like pointing arrow or see diferent colour  speach bubble.

Last edited by jinbaili83 (2019-10-10 16:40:13)

#3 2019-10-10 16:51:01

Dodge

Yeah also when you write a new text it instantly overrides what you previously said.

So if you say "follow me to the bakery"

Then say "quick"

You will only have the time to read "quick"

There should be some delay for text before it gets override by the next one.

#4 2019-10-10 16:58:42

Twisted

I don't think voice chat would be a good idea. I personally like chat the way it is (word limits and all).

One thing that I think could be improved is to make chat boxes overlap less. If you're talking to a person that's standing on an adjacent tile you often have to move away a bit so your speech bubbles don't cover each other up.

#5 2019-10-10 17:46:39

BladeWoods

It's a little thematic though like you're talking over each other cause there's too many people in too small of a space talking.

Maybe each player could have a 'voice' in a unique randomly generated color or pattern or just line thickness that their text boxes or edges of text boxes or text characters get so we could distinguish each other by voice. But I'm not sure how that would look, might look really terrible.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-10-10 17:47:03)

Board footer