One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-01 00:28:17

Coconut Fruit

Cross-family cursing while at war

Just saw some murders with swords. Some people cursed others for killing. What's the point of war if you are afraid that someone will curse you when you do a kill?
I think it should be impossible to curse someone who is in war with you.
Moreover I think cross-family cursing should be available only to families in peace otherwise what's the point of making fences if you could just curse anyone that comes to your town and take your stuff? I mean, stealing from other families towns shouldn't be considered as grieffing since we have fences to defense - it's bad behaviour but not grieffing IMO.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2019-10-01 01:51:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Cross-family cursing while at war

Yes, I will take another look at this issue this week.

Swords only work when you are at war.

I'm not sure about curses.  Seems like they should not work when at war, but what about when neutral or at peace?

When neutral, there's still such a thing as a good neighbor, right?  When you curse someone, you say, "I don't want to play with you in the future."  So if someone is stealing from the other village, maybe you don't want to play with that kind of person.

The same goes, really, for war, right?  I feel like I really want to leave it up to each player.

It's kinda like... what kind of game do you want, folks?

If you think war is just within the game, then don't curse the warriors, right?  But if you hate war, then you can state that preference too.

But if you can curse everyone, then what's the point of declaring war?  Well, swords are much easier to kill with than knives, right?  Currently, that's the last facet of war.

(The war/peace state not affecting curses make a lot more sense now that curses are personal.  Before, when curses guaranteed a fixed-length sentence in d-town, there was a grave danger of both sides cursing each other in a war, which would have really sucked for whoever was targeted on each side.)

#3 2019-10-01 03:11:25

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm not sure about curses.  Seems like they should not work when at war, but what about when neutral or at peace?

When neutral, there's still such a thing as a good neighbor, right?  When you curse someone, you say, "I don't want to play with you in the future."  So if someone is stealing from the other village, maybe you don't want to play with that kind of person.

You wouldn't curse good neighbors. If someone is stealing from the other village and you don't like it you can curse him if he is in your family. If someone is stealing from your village that means your village has bad defense. It's survival game, isn't it?

jasonrohrer wrote:

The same goes, really, for war, right?  I feel like I really want to leave it up to each player.

It's kinda like... what kind of game do you want, folks?

If you think war is just within the game, then don't curse the warriors, right?  But if you hate war, then you can state that preference too.

Concept with war, peace and being neutral is very nice and fits to this game perfectly IMO. I'm pretty sure you won't remove it so people have to deal with it anyway. If someone doesn't like war he can avoid fighting and focus on defending, cursing is wrong thing to do only because he doesn't like war.

I would suggest to allow cursing only your family and families in peace.
Probably allowing to curse all Eves despite of war/peace state would be also good idea since we had many Eve grieffers.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#4 2019-10-01 04:03:38

fug

The thing is there's only two times where its ever beneficial to declare war in the first place.

1. There are enough families that losing one doesn't matter OR the Eve window is still open so a new family pops up anyways. Because you are going to potentially shift from your family to the family you attack you are just shooting your foot to ever attack another family. To harm another is to harm oneself which is just incredibly shortsighted of anyone playing like that. So unless you are locked to a family or always blocked from joining a family you're at war with there is never a sensible reason to declaring war on others except muh arr-pee.

2. You are actively trying to end the arc. This just means you're trying to do a reset which has low value as most the time arcs are ended very prematurely due to people wanting to Eve or do early game. The only way to really remedy this is sprinkling Eves in every once and a while like we've seen twice this arc or just setting the reset condition to be a timer instead of the family condition.

Having cross family curses matters because without them we seen the rise of people who specifically spawned as Eve just to attack places (Most arcs until recently specifically suffered from this and before that they'd spawn in with swords and just massacre towns.) I could honestly due without war because my god the sword has a history of being absolutely dumb. If you've never seen the video of me killing 16 people second handedly with the nerfed sword (can't attack every 10 seconds) or before that the original butter knife sword with Michael Punch I recommend checking that out.

I think its fair being able to curse people trying to raid because honestly I don't want to be around those kinds of people. Lazy, shortsighted, and likely just trolls. No reason to want to be around people whose idea of a good time is senselessly killing in "a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building."

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2019-10-01 04:41:08

Coconut Fruit

I can think of a situation where there are only three families left and two of them have 3-4 towns and one of them has only one town. It could be beneficial for the family with one town to conquer another, that would increase chance of surviving drastically - war could help in conquering a town.
The thing is we have no real purpose. Family that survived an arc won't be remembered since we have no such thing as "winners of arcs" tab in main site onehouronelife.com. There is no reward and therefore no motivation to be the last surviving family right now, so yes, making war is more like troll tool than actuall thing with purpose.
Maybe it would be cooler to do only temporary peaces when both families need help but in the end every family was aiming to be the last surviving family.

Wars could be fun when there was real purpose and reason to do them.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#6 2019-10-01 05:10:18

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I can think of a situation where there are only three families left and two of them have 3-4 towns and one of them has only one town. It could be beneficial for the family with one town to conquer another, that would increase chance of surviving drastically - war could help in conquering a town.
The thing is we have no real purpose. Family that survived an arc won't be remembered since we have no such thing as "winners of arcs" tab in main site onehouronelife.com. There is no reward and therefore no motivation to be the last surviving family right now, so yes, making war is more like troll tool than actuall thing with purpose.
Maybe it would be cooler to do only temporary peaces when both families need help but in the end every family was aiming to be the last surviving family.

Setting the doomsday clock two minutes to midnight doesn't help your family survive at all. All you're doing by conquering another town/lineage is moving those players from lineage B to lineage C or A in the situation where you kill off one of the three lineages. There's still going to be 40-60 players the only difference is you've moved the game closer to end game which is the opposite of beneficial for your lineage as you're likely to then die off once the Eve window reopens as players spread into the many new roots of Eve lineages. So unless your only goal is to reset the server there's literally no benefit in the current game to remove a lineage (except explained in my other post where another lineage can take its place or your sole goal is to reset the arc.)

This is also not a battle royale game if you haven't noticed. Making random lineages winners in an arc doesn't suddenly make the game more fresh or exciting, it just means some trolls finally sniped off the other last standing lineage.

If you wanna play fortnite instead of ohol I recommend downloading any of the battle royale games on the market. You want ohol where its more sensible to kill? Go play Rust.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2019-10-01 13:48:28

Potjeh

War shouldn't even be a thing.

#8 2019-10-01 14:07:36

Coconut Fruit

fug wrote:

Making random lineages winners in an arc doesn't suddenly make the game more fresh or exciting

I don't know, to me it does a little.

I'm peaceful player, I almost never participate in wars. Tho I prefer to consider this game as a survival rather than "a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building". A little action is always good IMO, otherwise it would be boring.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#9 2019-10-01 14:43:38

Thaulos

While I agree that war is a potentially necessary part of the game, I am of the opinion that it will only work in a town based system.

Lineages as a social group are deprecated and have made no sense in many months. Without the transition to town based societies wars will feel gamey at best, broken at worse.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-10-01 14:44:29)

#10 2019-10-01 16:28:25

Saolin

Coconut Fruit wrote:

You'd be better off trying to assimilate the single town family into one or more of the other towns. Killing off one to take it over would just cause bad blood and a desire for revenge, escalating the situation.

For me the drive is to keep the arc going and families surviving, not to be the last surviving family, I don't really care about that. You'll be a part of a lot of the families anyway through an arc.

Board footer