a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-27 03:36:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Is 63 hours long enough for you?

Still two fams left:

S2WodVi.png

I'm guessing that we're nowhere close to oil scarcity, though.

#2 2019-09-27 04:22:52

fug

Re: Is 63 hours long enough for you?

We're not.

I think three days is the bare minimum. I'd like to see a week at least for each and every rift if possible. Maybe have a small eve window every day to allow people who only care about lineage name to exist?

I don't think respawning items is reasonable but maybe having new families would help. To put in perspective towns lasted weeks before the arc system and to be honest a few weeks is too long for most places before wearing off the novelty.

Arc needs to last long enough to care about it but be fresh enough for new eves to make a claim.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2019-09-27 04:42:25

Grim_Arbiter

+1 to fug

A chance for ONE new family, even if every 24 hours, would alleviate the two family dilemma.

Made me think maybe there should be a set limit on the arc.

If the the reset just happened at like 7500 years regardless, I don't think people would mind. Especially if there was some kind of reward for making it to the end. What the reward would be, I have no idea.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-09-27 04:55:17

fug

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

+1 to fug

A chance for ONE new family, even if every 24 hours, would alleviate the two family dilemma.

Made me think maybe there should be a set limit on the arc.

If the the reset just happened at like 7500 years regardless, I don't think people would mind. Especially if there was some kind of reward for making it to the end. What the reward would be, I have no idea.

Retiring names is a cool idea imo. If you last to the end of the arc maybe your Eve name gets on a "high score." For example: if Eve boots lives long enough you can't use the name for X amount of time while having a special section of the site devoted to you. This makes the name special along with those that helped you.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#5 2019-09-27 04:56:28

Dodge

I dont think new Eve's should spawn after the window, having only one true beginning like we had in human history feels right.

But i would really like to see genetic mutation and the ability to create new families.

Like a very low percent chance to give birth to someone with a slightly different skin color.

#6 2019-09-27 05:45:40

DestinyCall

I don't see any problem with adding more Eves.     

Before the Eve window was implemented, we had new Eves spawning pretty much all the time, they were just more spread out.      Having a larger Eve window at the start of the arc to "seed" the rift with families is good.    I like that once the Eve window closes you need to focus on keeping families alive, instead of starting fresh villages.    But if we want the arc to be able to continue for a longer period of time (and personally, I would love to see it last a week), then we HAVE to have some way to slowly increase the number of families over time.     Families will naturally die off over time for one reason or another.   Without some way to balance the die-offs, the arc will end long before it HAS to end.

#7 2019-09-27 05:46:31

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I think 3 days should be minimum. 4-5 Would be more ideal.

I don't think we can get much further without another Eve window happening though.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#8 2019-09-27 06:04:03

Dodge

Well we only need more Eves because the end condition is based on number of families, which is a weird condition if you think about it.

Why would the world abrubtly end because there is less than x number of families, it doesn't make much sense.

Also the current end feels very unsatisfying, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s78ojvPOqFU

Everything going well, prospering civilisation, plenty of food, next thing you know you're naked and the engine you just made is gone.

Doesn't really feel like how the end of the world should be.

#9 2019-09-27 07:38:38

CatX

Dodge wrote:

Well we only need more Eves because the end condition is based on number of families, which is a weird condition if you think about it.

I agree. Can we have marriages soon? A wedding could include two people (from different, peaceful families?) both saying (or writing on a document, with the aid of two elders perhaps) "I am <new last name>", and thus a new family could be created.

#10 2019-09-27 07:56:13

StrongForce

There should be an incentive to keep the arc going.
Some kind of bonus the surviving familys gets if they have reach a new high score in arc length.

Baby dance!!

#11 2019-09-27 08:14:52

Don Holm

A week is an ideal time to actually enjoy our lives to the best, we got plans to connects towns and building huge monuments, I love experimenting having enough resources to build monuments and completing big plans and not just "surviving" and hardworking to not starve, we deserve some time to enjoy our hard work.

#12 2019-09-27 08:49:20

Twisted

~63 hours means that there will be 2-3 complete map wipes every week, which is absurdly high. The apocalypse wiping everything out just like that is such a feels bad moment, it makes me want to stop playing every time it happens to me.

Sure, pre-rift we had fewer towns survive that long, but sometimes towns survived a lot longer. Every time you spawned somewhere you worked your hardest because the livelyhood of that town depended on you. If you did well you gave it a higher chance of lasting longer, and towns that people cared about could even last for weeks, all while giving people who enjoyed the early civilizations to actually play in those as well. You never knew what kind of life you were going to get.

Now it's all kind of pointless since you know that no matter how much you try that town will be gone forever three days from now - heck, it'll probably be gone by the next time you log in tomorrow. And to make things worse, there's no more town variety across the map - unless you play really early on in the arc you will spawn in a big walled off city with plenty of resources, a newcomen pump or an engine, with a lot of clutter everywhere. It's the same freaking thing every time. I really miss having life variety. sad

#13 2019-09-27 08:57:42

MrShuriken

Twisted I absolutely agree!
However, I think if we want variety now we're gonna have to start it ourselves, go to the middle of the map and start an abandoned town, let's try that out

I do agree something has to be done, yet I feel we as the players could do something here

#14 2019-09-27 08:59:55

Whatever

The best game ever does not need any resets.
It is always fun, challenging and diverse and never gets boring

#15 2019-09-27 09:13:51

Dodge

Whatever wrote:

The best game ever does not need any resets.
It is always fun, challenging and diverse and never gets boring

What game are you talking about?

I would be curious to know your references

#16 2019-09-27 09:48:18

Whatever

@Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm doing this to make the best possible game of all time, eventually.

source: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 202#p69202

#17 2019-09-27 09:50:13

Thaulos

My ideal arc would be a multi week arc to be honest. Even if you have to restart the server for updates every week, you could just repopulate the current arc map with new eves on a new eve window.

No need to reset everything so frequently.

Things do get boring when every required mine engine, diesel engine, oil rigs, etc are already done. But the solution in my opinion isn't so much to just add more objects to craft but instead promote player created content. We need new and recursive ways for players/towns/lineages to interact. If we could achieve that the game would be extended almost indefinitely pending lack of resources.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-27 09:52:16)

#18 2019-09-27 12:35:57

Spoonwood

First, as a matter of fact, the legendary city of San-Cal, which I know Pein remembers and I think some others remember, which only ended because of the bigserver change (Jason's changes killed it, not griefing), lasted more than 63 hours easily.

63 hours is too long.  The ideal arc time is 0 hours.  No arc should ever have existed, shouldn't exist now, and shouldn't exist in the future.

It limits potential player population and not just for technical reasons.

It makes griefing too easy.

It constrains exploration.

It leads to the staleness of the same towns over and over again.

It lessens potential civilization building and parenting opportunities, because there exist fewer families, and fewer Eve camps.

It's opposed by the most viewed player of the game on YouTube, and since he's playing on Twitch again, the most viewed player on Twitch.

The arc should end.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2019-09-27 14:50:03

DestinyCall

Didn't San-Cal last for weeks or months?    63 hours is less than three days.

I feel like the frequent resets are a crutch.   They are taking the place of an infinite map without improving gameplay.

#20 2019-09-27 15:22:15

The_Anabaptist

Jason,

If the premise of the game is 1 minute of gameplay = 1 calendar year, then a 63 hour arc would represent 3780 years.

For the current state of civilization / technology represented in the game, imho, that is probably reasonable. 
However, if you are still planning to scale up to the modern era, I think you should be building for either x3 or x4 the current 63 hour arc as a final goal to mimic humanity's current span of civilization from Stone Age to Atomic Age.

The_Anabaptist

#21 2019-09-27 16:42:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm still interested in WHY fams are dying out.

Why do we get down to 3 fams so quickly?  That happened within the first 6 hours.

Then after that, the TREE family lasted 1.5 days before croaking.  And looking at their full family tree, what happened?

https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ … id=2097941

Nothing special, it looks like.  Look near the bottom and find HOPE TREE.  She lived to 60 and never had any BBs.  Why is that?

So it seems like BB distribution is STILL to blame.

I don't think we need new Eves injected, if the original families (there were 10 of them) survive longer.

The point is, we're getting closer and closer.  67 hours is much better than what we used to have, right?

Yes, I agree that it should last more like 5-7 days.  But NOT with only 2 fams left.  5-7 days with only 2 fams left would be stale.

So maybe I need to take some more extreme measures with the BB distribution.  Round robin is obviously better than random, and ensuring that each fam gets girls if they have <3 potentially fertile girls alive is a huge improvement.

But maybe we need to go further.

Maybe the BB distribution should actively prop up dying families.  Maybe when a BB is born, we look at the fam with the fewest people left, and the BB goes there.

I worry that if we have 9 fams, things will get really thin at night.  Each fam would have something like 3 people.  But fams would still die out (when their women age out, or they mess up), and we'd get to whatever steady fam count state the player population can actually support.  I just don't EVER want a fam dying out for reasons beyond player control.

Notice that fams always die out during the nightly decline.  Even the Tree fam died out the second day as night approached.

My vision for this is more like 6 fams surviving for 5-7 days at least, or maybe even longer (but the weekly update will mess it up, and start a new Eve window..... maybe that's the goal?  See if you can all live 7 days, and live THROUGH the update, so that you get a second Eve window after the update.  If you do that, the map could potentially go forever.)

And yes, I'm still trying to make the best game of all time, eventually.  It's hard!

#22 2019-09-27 16:48:39

Thaulos

If you check the last generations you can see that most of them were killed by their own family. It was internal griefing. As usual.

#23 2019-09-27 16:52:04

Thaulos

Screenshot-8.png

You can continue adding girl threshold births and improving birth distributions ad nauseum that you will still have the same issue.

#24 2019-09-27 17:28:17

DestinyCall

Maybe the internsl griefing problem will be less severe now that the curse system is getting a reboot.

#25 2019-09-27 17:49:30

miskas

if internal griefing persist to be the reason families end you could increase cursing days duration OR
add a new mechanic, so people share their cursing lists. By saying BLESS YOU to a player, you curse one player of his list.
Meaning this the People that are approved will have their cursing effect buffed and their judgment could be used to protect others.

ps: Bless uses one curse token

Last edited by miskas (2019-09-27 17:52:06)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Board footer