One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-22 00:30:29

DestinyCall

How to Make a Yum Shrine

"Where there is Yum, there is Life."

- High Priestess of the Sisterhood of the Yum

If you have felt the power of Yum and wish to share it with others, consider building a Yum Shrine in your next village.   It is fun and easy!

Step 1:  Location, location, location ...

Yum foods need space.  So a lot of yum foods need A LOT of space.   Look for an open area that is relatively free of obstructions and not too close to important village structures, like the forge or bakery.   I prefer several screens of open space in either direction so I can organize foods more easily.   It should not be too far from the village center, but a little distance is good because it will decrease random foot-traffic, which lowers the chance that non-yummers will eat the rarer foods without taking the time too appreciating their yumminess.  True believers will make the pilgrimage to the shrine, while the rest should find the bakery more convenient.

Now that you know where, it is time to start building.   

Step 2:  If you build it, they will come.

The Yum Shrine serves as a beacon to the faithful, lighting the way to greater food diversity.    The goal is to create a simple but unique structure that will serve to anchor yum foods in one part of the village so they can be found and consumed by those who appreciate their yumminess.   My preferred design is three adobe pillars in a simple triangle, centered around a mango tree.   The adobe pillars should be plastered to prevent decay. 

To construct, gather six balls of adobe, three blocks of limestone, and a mango cutting.   Adobe is made from combining clay with tule reeds or straw.   Or by digging up a tule base, before it decays.  Use stakes and a round rock to form corner stakes, then add two pieces of adobe to make an adobe pillar.   Next, take the limestone to the forge and fire it to make quicklime.   Add a bowl of water to form plaster.   Apply the plaster to the pillars to turn them into beautiful white pillars.   Next, plant the mango cutting.   You can gather a tree cutting by using shears on the tree.   Mango trees are found in the jungle.   Consider gathering palm kernels, bananas, or tomatoes while you are here.

Once the mango tree is planted and watered, the Shrine is ready to receive offerings.

Step 3:  Avengers assemble!

Before you make anything yourself, check to see what your village already has available and consider gathering additional supplies and planting some yum crops.  It is important to use what is available.  Not only does it save on gathering time, but it will help to de-clutter the village.    Do you have a cow?  Stew crops?  Tomatoes, onions, potatoes, cabbage?   Tools for sauerkraut?  Has anyone started making a rare yum food, but didn't finish?   Are there random eggs scattered around town?  Any domestic geese?   Do you have a pig?

Also, it is a great idea to gather clay and produce a bunch of fresh plates/bowls/crocks at this point.   It will make your job much easier and prevent problems caused by too many occupied bowls/plates.   Likewise, if you can make a few extra buckets, that is always a good idea for lots of reasons.

Gather what you can and move the foods to the shrine.   As you travel around the village, let people know about the shrine and its purpose.   Next, assemble raw ingredients together for cooking.   Prioritize good simple foods over wasteful complex foods.   The options available to your village will vary according to tech level, resource/tool availability, and past cooking efforts.

Here is a list of great choices that should be possible for most villages:

Mutton pie
Rabbit pie
Carrot pie
Rabbit carrot pie
Roasted mutton
Cooked rabbit
Bowl of carnitas
Bread
Popcorn
Bowl of berries
Omelette
Whole milk
Skim milk
Buttered bread
Three Sisters Stew
Baked potato
French fries
Turkey slices
Turkey broth
Cooked goose

Step 4:  Get cooking!

At this point, you have built the shrine and organized a diverse array of food items around it.   But there is still more work to be done.   Chances are high that your village does not have some of the foods listed above.   If that is true, your next task should be obvious ... create more yummy foods!

Popcorn and bowl of berries are quick and easy.   Carrot pie and rabbit carrot pie are also straight-forward.   Make some bread, if you have a knife.   Roasted mutton and cooked rabbit are simple, but be careful to not use up all the meat.   It is more important to mass-produce meat pies, so only do relatively small batches of cooked meats as supplies allow.   Immediately move cooked meat to the Yum Shrine to discourage consumption by non-yummers.  Do not leave cooked mutton in the bakery!   It will disappear in a heart beat.   If you have raw pork, turn it into carnitas while roasting the rabbits.  If you have domestic geese, cook them too while you are at it   You will need an axe, a tree stump, and quick reflexes to slaughter the goose.  Or a bow to hunt wild geese.   

Remember to gather eggs from wild geese and hunt the geese in any pond located too close to the village.   Wild geese do not return once they are gone and they will also vanish if the pond is emptied by heavy water use.  So be sure to hunt the geese in the closest ponds quickly, before the water runs out.   Geese in more distant ponds can be farmed for free eggs.  These eggs can be cooked to make omelettes or incubated in poop to generate renewable domestic geese.   Domestic geese can be fed surplus corn to generate more eggs.    Make a box near the shrine to store extra geese more efficiently.   

Plant a corn field and make sure to let the corn dry - it is a valuable source of much yum - popcorn, stew, milk, butter, eggs, geese, tortillas, etc.

If you do not have potatoes yet, find a wild potato in grasslands and plant some potato.  You will need a shovel to harvest, but it gives three yum options.   Produce a row for baking and another row for french fries, if you have palm oil.

Every village should also have stew plants - squash, beans, corn.   To make stew, you need a crockpot, bowls, plates, a flint chip, a round stone, and either a hatchet or an axe.   First, harvest the squash using flint chip.  Put squash one a plate and smack it with a hatchet to break it open.  Remove the seeds and either plant them or store in a bowl for later.  Then dump the squash chunks into a crockpot.   Next, harvest dry beans into a bowl until it is completely filled.   Smash the beans with a round rock, then pour them onto a plate to remove the husk.  Put the cleaned beans back in a bowl and add water.   Drain off the water and pour the clean, soaked beans into the crockpot.   Lastly grab a dried ear of corn.  Put it into a bowl and use a flint chip to make a bowl of corn kernels.   Add the corn kernels to the crockpot to make dry stew.  Add a bowl of water to finish the stew.    Then use kindling to make a small fire near the Yim Shrine.   When the fire burns down, place the raw stew on hot coals to cook.

If your village has a cow and enough spare buckets ... milk the cow!!! Twice!  Once for whole milk and a second time to get skim milk and butter.   If your village does not have a cow, consider getting one.   But it will probably be a task for another life, since getting a cow takes time and coordination.  If you have limited time, consider creating a free range domestic cow first.   Later generations can move the cow closer to the village.

To make a free-range dairy cow, first you need a bow and at least two arrows.  Also bring one bowl, two ears of corn, a flint chip and a rope.   It helps if you have a cart.   Otherwise, it will involve two trips.   Head out to the prairie and search for a bison.   If you come across any turkeys or boars while looking for bison, kill them too.     When you find the bison wait until it has a baby, then kill it - you will need to shoot twice.      Prepare a bowl of corn kernels by putting the dry ear of corn into bowl and using the flint tip (or a knife)Use the rope on the baby bison to capture it, then immediately release the baby bison and feed it the bowl of corn kernels.

The baby will grow up into a domestic bison.   Make another bowl of corn and wait until the bison generates a baby cow.   Feed the baby cow to gain a free-range dairy cow.     Before feeding it, you could use rope to move the cow closer to your village or bring it all the way back.  Keep in mind, when allowed to free range, cows will tend to follow people and they will get in the way of working villagers, so it is generally  best to leave them to wander outside the village fence or to put the village cow inside a pen.   But please avoid mixing cows and sheep in the same pen.  Cow pens can be very small  because you only need one cow usually.   Take the time to build a proper cow pen, before moving the calf inside the village.   If you are in a hurry, free-ranging is a viable alternative.   Just remember where you left the cow and milk it occasionally.

On your way back from cow hunting, try to gather a wild turkey.    Turkeys can be shot using a bow, then de-feathered using a flint chip or knife.   The turkey is large, so it can be stowed in a cart or carried on your head like a hat when returning home.  Put the raw turkey on a plate and put it into a hot adobe oven.   Be sure to cook all other oven items (pies, bread, potatoes, palm kernels, rubber, etc),  BEFORE adding the turkey into the oven.  Once it is cooked, remove the turkey and carry the whole bird to the yum shrine before carving with a knife.   Once carved, the bird will be stuck in place until all slices have been served, so plan accordingly.   Use an empty plate on the carved turkey to get a slice.   When all slices are gone, don't forget to grab the drumstick for an extra yum point!   Then return the bones to the plate so the carcass can be used to make turkey broth.

Check local swamps for pork.  Kill wild boars using a bow and harvest the meat using a knife.  Cart the meat back, then roast in a bowl over hot coals to make carnitas.   If you run low on wild boar meat, consider building a pig pen.   Just be careful ... domestic boars are deadly.   Follow the same method as with cows and allow the baby boar to free-range.  Then kill the domestic boar and feed the baby.   Again, do not mix pigs and sheep.   It is better to make a dedicated pig pen and avoid over-feeding.  You will usually only need 1-3 pigs, since they are only needed for meat production and carnitas are limited by the availability of bowls.    Do not farm pigs inside the village until nearby wild pigs have been depleted.   It isn't necessary and takes up valuable space.   If you want, consider leaving domestic pigs free range in swamps for future generations.   They are safer than boars and easy to capture, if needed.

Some yum foods didn't make it on my list for a reason.   They are too complex to make quickly or too costly to produce ... or both.   These yum foods should not be made or grown, under most circumstances, but if rare yum foods are already present in the village, they can be offered to the shrine to be used for yumming.  Just remember, efficiency always comes first.  A high yum multiplier makes costly, time-consuming foods better, but it makes inexpensive, low-waste foods GREAT.   When cooking yum foods for general consumption, you should be focused on producing a variety of quality high-efficiency foods that can be safely eaten by everyone ... and avoid foods that are too costly to produce at scale.   There are more than enough good options available, so the worst foods can be safely avoided without sacrificing food diversity or breaking your chain.

Step 5:  YUMMMMM!

Congratulations!  You have completed a beautiful Yum Shrine and filled it with delicious foods to please the tongue and feed the soul.   Feel free to take a break and bask in the glories of a x18 yum chain.   

You earned it!   

May the Yum Gods smile upon your efforts and bless you with a million new flavors.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-22 03:02:13)

#2 2019-09-22 01:04:42

Saolin

Re: How to Make a Yum Shrine

Praise Be!

#3 2019-09-22 01:40:04

Coconut Fruit

I didn't read all but I just wanted to say that I wish there was a way to make a gate that only people with yum higher than 5 would pass. No noobs would eat our precious yum foods anymore.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2019-09-22 01:48:33

DestinyCall

Position your Yum Shrine behind a property fence and only grant access to people who can quickly recite the last three foods that they ate.   You could weed out most of the fakers

#5 2019-09-22 02:33:05

testo

All food is equal to the eyes of the YUM.
No more discrimination on the poor shuckle corn and green beans. Embrace the berry pie family. Repent from your efficiency sins.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-09-22 02:57:16

DestinyCall

Yum is math.   Math says you are wrong.   I'm sorry, but you will not live long enough to justify eating a single ear of raw corn, let alone fresh corn, green beans, and berry pies all in one life. 

It's not your fault.  You don't have enough time.   Maybe you can pull it off in 2HOL ... but not in OHOL.    Death breaks all yum chains in the end and your chain will break before you make back the resources you wasted with your unfortunate food choices.

Most importantly, there's no reason to dirty your lips with bad foods when so many better foods are readily accessible in most villages.   Please do not bring shame upon your fellow yummers by allowing yourself to be tempted down a dark and flavorless path.   

Stay in the light of the Yum and eat wisely for a better tomorrow.

#7 2019-09-22 03:26:39

testo

Yum is not math. Math says yum is useless anyways. I will live my hour by my work, and if my work makes it for a single plant of corn and green beans, then they are justified.

It is not about guilt, it is about a choice. Death is nothing but part of the one hour, efficiency is the big lie not death the big problem. No town has ever died because of bad efficiency. Nobody dies because you didn´t optimize the soil usage, not even during the dark ages of the one week Arc. Hundreds of players old and new berry much all their life and I should feel ashamed for 1 single shucked corn and a taste of green beans that power my 1 hour yum chain? Nonsense.

For every 6 gooseberry munched in the farm my 1 corn/1 greenbeans per life is justified and even more so if I am the one working for it. So next time you want to shame me go with your lesson to the berry farm and preach there. And then, since you pray to the optimal god above your head, once you have managed to erase all the berry munchers, start eating only mutton pies and milk. And once you have sealed your bonding with the dreaded optimus, you can come here and tell me about how amazingly great it is to maximize good food and abandon yum. Until then, shaming food you call "bad" is only hate and discrimination.

LONG LIVE SHUCKED CORN!! FREE THE GREENBEANS!! NO MORE OPRESSION TO THE BERRY PIE FAMILY!!

Last edited by testo (2019-09-22 03:31:50)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2019-09-22 05:14:05

DestinyCall

Towns die all the time due to poor efficiency.   They use too much water keeping a huge berry patch alive.   They waste soil on crops that never get eaten.   They spend too much time on useless pursuits and not enough time on productive ones.     Short-sighted and selfish actions are harmful.  They can have a real impact on village survival.   Every minute, we make decisions that affect the people around us and the ability of our village to keep on living.

Villages live or die on the efficiency of their inhabitants and the choices that they make.   Poor choices lead to poor outcomes.   Better choices lead to better outcomes.   Less time spent on food production, fewer hungry children, more babies surviving to adulthood ... a well-run village is a happy and thriving village.

I do not warn people about the dangers of "bad" foods to scare them or shame them or make them feel guilty about how many ears of corn they have eaten in the past.    I'm trying to enlighten players so they can make wiser choices in-game.   When people work together more efficiently and make smart decisions, we all benefit. 

Both in yum and in life.

#9 2019-09-22 06:19:56

Thaulos

Any way we can start forcing players to be efficient?

Maybe we should start fencing berry farms haha

#10 2019-09-22 06:29:53

DestinyCall

Why stop there?   Fence the whole food production network. 

Berries and carrots behind property fence with wooden boxes arranged along one side to allow supplies to be rapidly transferred to the adjacent sheep pen.   Wheat is planted beyond the sheep pen, used to make compost for the compost cycle itself, but mostly for growing corn.  Fields and fields of corn.

The corn is dried in slot boxes then used to feed a stable of milk cows.    A large milkweed farm supplies ample rope to produce more and more buckets to feed the growing populace.

Buckets of milk are kept around the central fire and distributed around town in key locations to feed the hungry and the talkative.   Meat pies are baked and distributed to the food stations to feed the working adults.    The entire system is maintained by three or four people working in coordination.   When they reach forty, a replacement is found among the younger villagers to keep the milk flowing.

#11 2019-09-22 07:50:58

Thaulos

It might be partially Jason fault tbh.

In the tutorial you are taught on how to eat wild food and berries. It is not obvious for new players they should be eating something else other than berries. Specially as that is also the best food to eat at the time the child is dropped onto them by the mom.

I've witnessed the complete mental disconnect where new players learning how to bale pies still run out of the kitchen towards the berry bushes whenever the alarms start ringing, even after they finish baking some pies and they are available.

There is no time to think when alarms go off. Eat or die, and everyone knows where the berries are.

I try to teach people to eat pies but even I end up going for a bunch of berries every now and then.

We might need to think of something we can do that is easy and provides results. The 3x3 berry fields on the corners of a spring has been adopted by much of the community and allows for much better bowl fillings. Maybe we can figure out something that could work into changing people's behavior towards food.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-22 07:54:21)

#12 2019-09-22 11:02:39

CatX

Thaulos wrote:

In the tutorial you are taught on how to eat wild food and berries. It is not obvious for new players they should be eating something else other than berries.

Good point.

In the end, the food that saves the village from famine is the food that's being eaten... Milk is worthless if people don't recognize it as food.

I would like it if all containers with edibles could have the same color, or some other distinguishing mark. If you're used to seeing pale blue bowls of berries, for example, it might be easier to recognize that a pale blue bucket contains drinkable milk.

Also, I'd love the ability to attach a ladle to crocks of food and buckets of drinkable liquids. That way, people wouldn't have to run around searching for empty clay bowls before they are able to eat.

#13 2019-09-22 11:26:10

CatX

As for the yum shrine, how about a new container, a "table of yum"? It could occupy two tiles, but contain 10 visible edible items, and only edible items. It could be used to display wealth and abundance - and as a way to teach new players what can be eaten. Place a table of yum next to the berry fields and fill it with goodies.

Why not just use a slot box? Because the slot box will quickly be used for other things, plus it is not recognizable as something containing food the way a table is.

#14 2019-09-22 11:28:59

QuirkySmirkyIan

I really like this yum shrine idea and I'm going to add it to a town right now! I probably won't fence it off because I don't have good short term memory and I probably couldn't even remember the last two foods I ate lmao.

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#15 2019-09-22 11:52:01

DestinyCall

QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

I really like this yum shrine idea and I'm going to add it to a town right now! I probably won't fence it off because I don't have good short term memory and I probably couldn't even remember the last two foods I ate lmao.

My sarcasm voice sounds a lot like my regular voice, so I should probably mention that I don't actually think it is a good idea to put up fencing to protect your Yum Shrine against bad eaters.  Everyone is welcome at my shrine, because we are all equal in the eyes of Yum.

What I DO recommend is that you make an effort to inform and educate visitors about the purpose of your shrine and how to eat unique bites of food individually to extend their yum chain.   You can expect some foods will be eaten the "wrong way", but that is okay.   Since the foods you provide are good, high quality foods, they can be replaced more easily than rare yum foods and they are good to eat, even without any yum bonus.

You might want to add a "special garden", protected by a property fence, where the lowest quality, highest cost rare yum delicacies are prepared in secret and kept away from the greedy mouths of unbelievers, only granting access to frequent visitors to the shrine ... but that is a much lower priority than raising general public awareness regarding yum and teaching people to make a variety of good foods that can be freely distributed to all villagers.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-22 12:41:58)

#16 2019-09-22 21:36:39

arkajalka

DestinyCall wrote:

Position your Yum Shrine behind a property fence and only grant access to people who can quickly recite the last three foods that they ate.   You could weed out most of the fakers

Also get a arrow to face for hoarding foods behind property fence.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#17 2019-09-22 21:57:47

DestinyCall

arkajalka wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Religious persecution!!!

#18 2019-09-24 09:53:20

testo

DestinyCall wrote:
arkajalka wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Religious persecution!!!

Talking about fencing the full production network to prevent people from eating what you don´t want them to eat and calling religious persecution. Never seen that IRL.

- Jack Ass

#19 2019-09-24 09:57:34

sigmen4020

testo wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Religious persecution!!!

Talking about fencing the full production network to prevent people from eating what you don´t want them to eat and calling religious persecution. Never seen that IRL.

DestinyCall wrote:
QuirkySmirkyIan wrote:

My sarcasm voice sounds a lot like my regular voice, so I should probably mention that I don't actually think it is a good idea to put up fencing to protect your Yum Shrine against bad eaters.  Everyone is welcome at my shrine, because we are all equal in the eyes of Yum.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

Board footer