One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-17 01:07:14

jade-storm

I know that it’ll never happen but what if..

Ocean instead of rift? Like the world was just a bunch of big islands? It would be hard to code though. But like we could have bridges.

Bridge idea:
The oceans would be too large to cross in some areas. But there could be spots with 1-3 tiles that you could cross. And you could make 1-3 rope/wooden/steel bridge pieces.

Rope bridges last half an hour to one hour, wooden last 3-5 hours, and iron last 10-24 hours?

Rope bridge piece takes four pieces of rope, and can be cut down by an elder.
Wooden bridge piece would take two planks, four long straight shafts, and two rope, can not be removed from a crossing point.
And iron bridge piece would take two steel cords, a flat rock, four steel pipes, and a rope.

All can be disassembled before putting on the crossing point.

It’s probably a stupid idea but I’m really bored.

#2 2019-09-17 04:36:57

Rabbitmelon

Re: I know that it’ll never happen but what if..

It is an interesting idea.

Islands could be used in a way to separate things and people. Maybe different islands have different biomes/plants/set up. They produce different goods and they each have their own value. This could make trading work because each island is its own world, already set up. For ex, one island has mangos, but no rose madders. If they want that dye, people are forced to trade.

Immediate problems are that if that happens, people will just randomly cross bridges, carrying seeds whatever and spread them and they lose their value. If some islands are not developed enough, players from other islands can just take over the island, this kills trading.

But let's say there are two developed islands, side by side. I feel like the end result is all-out war because the natural boundary (permanent) can encourage nationalism to one's island. Or people feel bored because it's the last two islands and they just want reset. LOL

This game is very team-work based so I would rather work with others than go all-out wars.
So...
Let's say one island has a lot of iron mines, but not a lot of tarry spots and the other one has a lot of Tarry Spots, but no abundance of iron mines. The islands can only continue living through trading. The remaining people will just scavenge until the last resources.

It doesn't have to be islands.

Different amounts of resources can be scattered across a large map life the rift. It's more interesting when it comes to finite resources.

Maybe the cluster of iron mines will become a war zone. A large powerful group might take over it.

Sadly, this might not be satisfying to players who prefer eve runs because it's hard for eves to go up against a very developed civilization.

But Jason is looking for a future with war and trading. I think clusters of resources can change the dynamics.

#3 2019-09-17 06:02:07

breezeknight

not as long Ropes are made from Milkweed

where is the farmable Hemp ?

& what's with Cotton ?
farmable Cotton ?
Cotton Thread ?

in any case
EVERY addition or change which doesn't address directly any killing instruments would be a good move

& the Rift is probably just a quick version of oceans,
though the miniscule confinement within Rift & within Fences as well, is horribly claustrophobic

i didn't play the game already before Rift, Rift just reassured that i should stay away from playing

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-09-17 06:02:41)

#4 2019-09-17 07:20:28

Baker

What if we had boats instead.

Boats will become shipwrecked unless they land on a dock. So you need to bring stuff with you to help you build a new town, As a reward, you will be safe from the next apocalypse. Once the apoc happens, Eves will move over to nearest inhabited island or stay the same if nobody has moved.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

Board footer