One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-09-16 19:00:27

Coconut Fruit

Re: The curse system needs attention ASAP

Mr meeseeks wrote:

He can't fix griefing, no one can. There will always be belligerent ass holes that want to have fun ruining your fun.

When I was new to the game I thought that with enough curses I would go to donkey town permanently. I was like "I will never grief and get any curses". We had very little grieffing back then when donkey town was a thing.
Solution for grieffing is very simple. Hopefully we won't see this 1 day or less donkey town joke punishment. It should last for at least 3 days.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#27 2019-09-16 19:18:38

DestinyCall

Once upon a time, Donkey Town was a time-based punishment that was measured by hours played IN GAME.   So if you were cursed into Donkey Town, you might need to play eight HOURS in DT before you would get out.   The more curses you racked up, the longer the punishment and the lower the threshold for being sent into purgatory.   And since the duration of your stay was based on time played in the game, you actually had to accept the punishment and play alone for a while before you were allowed back into society with other players.    You couldn't just go play another game for a few days and check back to see when you were free to grief some more.     

I liked to think this time apart might have actually encouraged some people to reconsider what they did to get themselves sent away.   They might come to appreciate the value of community and recognize how much they took other people for granted.   It is actually a lot of work to do everything by yourself.   It is not as much fun when you have to build everything from scratch and make every single thing, instead of just finding it laying around the village for you to use.    And it is really disappointing to log back in and realize that all your hard work from the night before is gone now so you must start from scratch.   

Donkey Town is an amazingly fitting punishment for griefers.    If no one wants to play with you in their village, then you get to experience the game without other players.   No victims to kill, no towns to vandalize, nothing but open wilderness and whatever you choose to build in the hour before you die, old and alone.   People complained about DT, because they didn't want to go there by mistake if they were cursed for the wrong reasons.   But people that deserved DT complained about it the most, because it was a real punishment and it made it harder to play the game the way they wanted.   It forced them to consider what other people might think of their behavior before they acted.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-16 19:23:44)

#28 2019-09-16 20:00:49

CatX

Maybe the penalty should be to stay in Donkey Town until the arc ends.

And perhaps a few curses should be enough to send someone to DT.

#29 2019-09-16 20:23:06

DestinyCall

If the penalty resets when the arc ends, there would be very little deterring griefers from going nuts at the end the arc, since the penalty would be very short.  As long as they do enough damage before they are banned, the arc ends and they can go right back to griefing.    It would also incentivize players to grief the arc to force the reset so their griefer friends were "freed" from Donkey Town.   And we would likely see an explosion of renewed griefing at the start of every new arc as the previously banned griefers were allowed to play again, all at the same time.   They could celebrate their release by hunting Eves and shooting female babies.

I think that the best option is to link duration of DonkeyTown punishment to curse score.   Higher penalty for higher lifetime curse score, divided by total game time to prevent veteran players from being overly-penalized for accumulating occasional curses over many lives.     And to have that penalty worked off by IN-GAME hours of play, rather than real world time passed.   So they don't get a 48 hour "time-out" from OHOL, that lets them come back into the game refreshed and ready to grief some more.   They actually have to work off the time alone in DT or on a separate DonkeyTown server, completely separate from the main game space.   They can still play OHOL.   They can still have access to Jason's servers.   But they don't get direct access to more victims.   They don't play well with others, so they don't get to play with others.   

Once they play enough hours in DT, they are free to be reborn on BigServer again and maybe they will be fine.   If they don't draw a lot of negative attention, they can play how they like again.   Maybe they will play normally.   Maybe they will go back to griefing.   It is their choice.  If they are able to reform and stop getting cursed all the time, their hours played will accumulate while their lifetime curse score remains stable.   This will .. very slowly ... lower the penalty should they end up back in DT at some point in the future.

#30 2019-09-16 21:56:25

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

Once upon a time, Donkey Town was a time-based punishment that was measured by hours played IN GAME.   So if you were cursed into Donkey Town, you might need to play eight HOURS in DT before you would get out.   The more curses you racked up, the longer the punishment and the lower the threshold for being sent into purgatory.   And since the duration of your stay was based on time played in the game, you actually had to accept the punishment and play alone for a while before you were allowed back into society with other players.    You couldn't just go play another game for a few days and check back to see when you were free to grief some more.     

I liked to think this time apart might have actually encouraged some people to reconsider what they did to get themselves sent away.   They might come to appreciate the value of community and recognize how much they took other people for granted.   It is actually a lot of work to do everything by yourself.   It is not as much fun when you have to build everything from scratch and make every single thing, instead of just finding it laying around the village for you to use.    And it is really disappointing to log back in and realize that all your hard work from the night before is gone now so you must start from scratch.   

Donkey Town is an amazingly fitting punishment for griefers.    If no one wants to play with you in their village, then you get to experience the game without other players.   No victims to kill, no towns to vandalize, nothing but open wilderness and whatever you choose to build in the hour before you die, old and alone.   People complained about DT, because they didn't want to go there by mistake if they were cursed for the wrong reasons.   But people that deserved DT complained about it the most, because it was a real punishment and it made it harder to play the game the way they wanted.   It forced them to consider what other people might think of their behavior before they acted.

Just to point out that griefers actually cared about the old DK as was shown several times in this forum. Not so easy to grief for a life when you have to live alone for 6/8 to do that. New system is useless.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#31 2019-09-16 22:11:46

CatX

DestinyCall wrote:

If the penalty resets when the arc ends, there would be very little deterring griefers from going nuts at the end the arc, since the penalty would be very short.  As long as they do enough damage before they are banned, the arc ends and they can go right back to griefing.    It would also incentivize players to grief the arc to force the reset so their griefer friends were "freed" from Donkey Town.   And we would likely see an explosion of renewed griefing at the start of every new arc as the previously banned griefers were allowed to play again, all at the same time.

Yes, but if there are few griefers compared with regular players, and if ending up in DT was relatively simple, then the griefers would be weeded out and the arcs would last longer. Even a griefer on a quest to save their friends would quickly be sent to DT if all it took was two or three curses.

One problem with that approach though is that regular players might find themselves in DT more often. Anyone who was cursed by mistake, or by ill will, would be punished along with the griefers. But it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make to help rid the game world of griefers. If I found myself outside the Rift from time to time, I might even see it as an adventure.

However, I also agree with those who say that the old system seemed to work better.

#32 2019-09-17 16:23:58

BlueDiamondAvatar

Just popping in to say I completely agree.

1) the glitches in the curse system need to get fixed ASAP
2) the length of a curse's impact needs to get longer.  Lots of people only play one day a week, so let's make curses last at least a week.
3) people need to be able to stun others and lock em up.  Even if this happens to some people unfairly... its an interesting story, right?

I'm not big on the tarring and feathering, just because I can see our griefer twins using that against innocent people.

But MORE tools for players with good intentions would be great. I like the idea of a stunning weapon that only impacts people with a bloody knife.  How about just a Long Shaft?  We already use it as a club on seals....  And there is usually one hanging around the smithy/nursery/bakery zones anyway.  It would expand the amount of time for people to pass judgement on someone who has killed, instead of rushing to kill them while they are still in cooldown.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

Board footer