One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-15 08:22:54

DestinyCall

The curse system needs attention ASAP

The Bean family was just wiped out by a griefer that kept returning, life after life, to harass the town, so we are back down to two families.   The current arc is only 886 years old (<15 hours).   I doubt it will reach 1000 years.    This is the third arc in a row that has lasted less than two days.

The current curse system does not appear to be doing an adequate job of deterring griefers or preventing them from re-offending.   Is it even working at all?   I feel like I'm cursing the same griefers over and over, but it has no effect.

#2 2019-09-15 08:39:23

Whatever

Re: The curse system needs attention ASAP

Look here:
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/441
https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/383

Its possible for cursed players to spawn back into the Hell Cell

#3 2019-09-15 08:57:13

DestinyCall

Hmmmmm .... well isn't that nice.

At least I'm not crazy for thinking the curse system is broken.    So basically, we are back to the early days of the Rift, with feral eves and griefer raiding parties wiping out towns.  I don't blame people who give up on this game.

#4 2019-09-15 09:09:26

Mr meeseeks

DestinyCall wrote:

Hmmmmm .... well isn't that nice.

At least I'm not crazy for thinking the curse system is broken.    So basically, we are back to the early days of the Rift, with feral eves and griefer raiding parties wiping out towns.  I don't blame people who give up on this game.

We're not... Have you actually played? The rift is far more functional that it was... In time, I'm sure it will be a big improvement...

The curse system was meant to curb griefing... Obviously, it failed.. It will likely become more balanced.. And I don't think most people want a game with absolutely no griefing since it adds drama and excitement...

If you want absolutely no conflict... Ya basic!

Go play a my little pony game... I'm sure you can find one...

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#5 2019-09-15 09:28:34

Dodge

The curse system is just a band aid anyway, what we really need is to fix the underlying issue of why griefing happens or in other words make the game more interesting so players dont resort to griefing for a cheap trill.

And also implement a stunning and jail mechanic so those who do crime can be put in jail and spend the rest of their life to think about their actions, in other words make them unable to play if they commit crime.

#6 2019-09-15 09:32:16

Twisted

Cursed players spawning as an Eve inside the rift needs to be fixed ASAP.

I also think that the 48 hour area ban for cursed players is way too short. Unless you play the game literally every day cursing kind of feels a bit pointless. It should be at least double that IMO.

#7 2019-09-15 09:35:04

DestinyCall

Mr meeseeks wrote:

We're not... Have you actually played? The rift is far more functional that it was... In time, I'm sure it will be a big improvement...

Yes, I have played.   

In my last life, I was born into a town that was being actively griefed by a player riding a horse who repeatedly stole supplies and destroyed stuff.   We lacked weapons and the town fence had decayed in a few places, so we were effectively defenseless, except for cursing (which apparently does nothing anyways).    I decided to leave as soon as I could hold a bowl of berries, in the hopes that I could find a different town, because it was clear that we couldn't defend our town without a secure fence and critical supplies were already gone due to the horse griefer.   

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate any nearby towns and ended up circling back around to my home village in time to see the last of my family die, mauled by bears which now roamed freely inside the broken town fence.   At this point, I was now fifteen and was starting to have babies.   My search for a better town was a failure, so I decided to make the best of what I had ... a town filled with bears and dead people. 

I raised ten children in that bear-infested, heavily griefed town.  Working together, we managed to clear out the bears and started to repair the damage done to the village.  While retrieving stolen supplies from the griefer's stash, I found an untapped iron vein and was planning to gather iron before I died.  Things were starting to look better for the first time since I was born into this cursed life.   Until the original griefer came back, reborn as one of my own children, and released a horde of domestic boars in the middle of town to kill off their own siblings.   Then they shot the last of my granddaughters, ending the Bean line.   I died at sixty, surrounded by the bodies of my dead children and the dead boars and the dead griefer. 

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5283382

The Bean family was one of the last three alive in the arc and the griefer celebrated when he killed our last girl because he had "won".  It didn't matter that we killed him.  He already had what he wanted.    Three days ago, I joined the arc five minutes after reset and witnessed the Eve camp I was born into get wiped out by a pair of twin Eves, killing people with bows.  Again, I was the sole survivor of my family, because no matter how many times we killed them, they kept coming back to pick off more people.   Based on reports from other players, these same twin griefers were responsible for killing off the final family that triggered the arc reset.   

So yes ... I've played.   Have you?       

The level of griefing in this game is really intolerable.    I'm not interested in a life without conflict, but I am looking for a game about parenting and building civilization.  Not bear-dodging and child murder.   You like to grief sometimes to spice things up.   I do not like to grief and find it really horrible to deal with griefers every life. 

It is not dramatic or exciting.  It's fucked up and depressing.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-15 10:23:30)

#8 2019-09-15 10:48:19

Baker

I don't think anyone actually ends up donkey town, Just moves the problem to another village. Maybe outside the rift this would be more effective but in the rift you can reach any town.
During the late-game, Griefers just need to choose a side and eliminate the weaker town for a reset.

I'd rather just have the rift last till every family had died out or an apoc ritual. Then have it so you get lineage ban if you receive chain curses from the same family. Sure, There would likely be war but towns matter more than family. It'd be easy to lineage ban griefers late-game resets would be much harder.

Add a smaller rift to D-Town. Let normal players spawn there with full gear and horse so they can hunt the griefers for fun. (Joke)

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#9 2019-09-15 14:17:02

Ilka

I really wish I could eliminate at least this ....... very toxic individual.

Do you know him? 

He is the one who always boasts in the last words: "I killed 10 people", "I killed the XY family".

I have the impression that the whole damn rift is a playground for one kid with problems.

And I hate rifts, I hate fences, I wish that the good old days of the game came back.

However, I do not believe that this is possible.

The player base has changed too much.

#10 2019-09-15 14:31:53

sigmen4020

Ilka wrote:

I really wish I could eliminate at least this ....... very toxic individual.

Do you know him? 

He is the one who always boasts in the last words: "I killed 10 people", "I killed the XY family".

I have the impression that the whole damn rift is a playground for one kid with problems.

And I hate rifts, I hate fences, I wish that the good old days of the game came back.

However, I do not believe that this is possible.

The player base has changed too much.

Are you talking about this person:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5239535

Seems this is the kind of person this game is for now. What a shame.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#11 2019-09-15 15:19:53

Mr meeseeks

DestinyCall wrote:
Mr meeseeks wrote:

Yes, I have played.   

In my last life, I was born into a town that was being actively griefed by a player riding a horse who repeatedly stole supplies and destroyed stuff.   We lacked weapons and the town fence had decayed in a few places, so we were effectively defenseless, except for cursing (which apparently does nothing anyways).    I decided to leave as soon as I could hold a bowl of berries, in the hopes that I could find a different town, because it was clear that we couldn't defend our town without a secure fence and critical supplies were already gone due to the horse griefer.   

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to locate any nearby towns and ended up circling back around to my home village in time to see the last of my family die, mauled by bears which now roamed freely inside the broken town fence.   At this point, I was now fifteen and was starting to have babies.   My search for a better town was a failure, so I decided to make the best of what I had ... a town filled with bears and dead people. 

I raised ten children in that bear-infested, heavily griefed town.  Working together, we managed to clear out the bears and started to repair the damage done to the village.  While retrieving stolen supplies from the griefer's stash, I found an untapped iron vein and was planning to gather iron before I died.  Things were starting to look better for the first time since I was born into this cursed life.   Until the original griefer came back, reborn as one of my own children, and released a horde of domestic boars in the middle of town to kill off their own siblings.   Then they shot the last of my granddaughters, ending the Bean line.   I died at sixty, surrounded by the bodies of my dead children and the dead boars and the dead griefer. 

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5283382

The Bean family was one of the last three alive in the arc and the griefer celebrated when he killed our last girl because he had "won".  It didn't matter that we killed him.  He already had what he wanted.    Three days ago, I joined the arc five minutes after reset and witnessed the Eve camp I was born into get wiped out by a pair of twin Eves, killing people with bows.  Again, I was the sole survivor of my family, because no matter how many times we killed them, they kept coming back to pick off more people.   Based on reports from other players, these same twin griefers were responsible for killing off the final family that triggered the arc reset.   

So yes ... I've played.   Have you?       

The level of griefing in this game is really intolerable.    I'm not interested in a life without conflict, but I am looking for a game about parenting and building civilization.  Not bear-dodging and child murder.   You like to grief sometimes to spice things up.   I do not like to grief and find it really horrible to deal with griefers every life. 

It is not dramatic or exciting.  It's fucked up and depressing.

Yes, it's unfortunate when people allow griefers to destroy so much.. This never happens in my towns because I quickly end griefers.

The curse system does need to be fixed... We do need more balance.

This is an extreme example, and partly the fault of your town for not defending themselves... I'm sure it will be fixed as he finds more solutions..

#12 2019-09-15 15:31:04

Mr meeseeks

I did have a somewhat similar experience last night... Probably the same griefer. I was born in to a decimated town.. The difference? I made sure I found and killed the griefer with my mom. We didn't take chances, we killed all potential griefers. We worked together to rebuild the fence and town, and we were thriving once again. It was one of the most interesting and fun lives I've had.

#13 2019-09-15 16:08:13

DestinyCall

How nice for you.   We killed our griefer too.   

They were the last member of the Name family, which died out shortly before I returned to Bear Town.  We made weapons, we fixed the fence.  It didn't matter.   The dead griefer was reborn as one of my children and griefed the town from within.   We killed him again ... and it didn't matter.  He had already killed Bean family in his last attack.   If that attack had failed, there would have been another and then another.   

Griefers do not have to build a functioning village or work together to survive.  If they die, the game gives them to a new village with a brand new identity and the freedom to start griefing immediately.   Death isn't a punishment.   It is a Reload button.   They just have to find the same village again, life after life, and break things until they win by attrition.   Steal all the buckets, kill the sheep, eat the last carrot, burn up all the firewood, steal the iron, hide the pads ... how long before the town can't bounce back fast enough?  Good luck building a diesel engine to save your town from a water/iron shortage while a griefer messes with the forge area.

It is so much easier to break than it is to build up.  OHOL's long and complex crafting systems make for interesting co-op PvE gameplay, but they also create dozens of critical bottlenecks that can be easily exploited by a clever asshole.  Sabatoge the right things and a town will be in serious danger of dying out long before most players are aware that something is wrong.   Even if you know that your town is being targeted by an active griefer, your options are limited to keeping them away using fences or killing them for a short reprieve ... and then killing anyone else who acts sketchy for the rest of your life, because killing the griefer just gives them a new name and a younger body somewhere else in the finite map.   

If you know where a town is located, you can easily walk back to the same town by the time you are old enough to pick up a bow.   Or you can just grief where ever you are born to spread the pain.   Every time someone dies because of your efforts, you "win" and people die a lot in OHOL.   How interesting. How fun. And so much easier than staying alive.   

No wonder we have serial griefers who kill towns, life after life.   There is no risk and the adrenaline rush of being sneaky and trying to kill as many girls as you can before you get caught must add to the sick enjoyment for them.

#14 2019-09-15 21:04:50

Mr meeseeks

DestinyCall wrote:

How nice for you.   We killed our griefer too.   

They were the last member of the Name family, which died out shortly before I returned to Bear Town.  We made weapons, we fixed the fence.  It didn't matter.   The dead griefer was reborn as one of my children and griefed the town from within.   We killed him again ... and it didn't matter.  He had already killed Bean family in his last attack.   If that attack had failed, there would have been another and then another.   

Griefers do not have to build a functioning village or work together to survive.  If they die, the game gives them to a new village with a brand new identity and the freedom to start griefing immediately.   Death isn't a punishment.   It is a Reload button.   They just have to find the same village again, life after life, and break things until they win by attrition.   Steal all the buckets, kill the sheep, eat the last carrot, burn up all the firewood, steal the iron, hide the pads ... how long before the town can't bounce back fast enough?  Good luck building a diesel engine to save your town from a water/iron shortage while a griefer messes with the forge area.

It is so much easier to break than it is to build up.  OHOL's long and complex crafting systems make for interesting co-op PvE gameplay, but they also create dozens of critical bottlenecks that can be easily exploited by a clever asshole.  Sabatoge the right things and a town will be in serious danger of dying out long before most players are aware that something is wrong.   Even if you know that your town is being targeted by an active griefer, your options are limited to keeping them away using fences or killing them for a short reprieve ... and then killing anyone else who acts sketchy for the rest of your life, because killing the griefer just gives them a new name and a younger body somewhere else in the finite map.   

If you know where a town is located, you can easily walk back to the same town by the time you are old enough to pick up a bow.   Or you can just grief where ever you are born to spread the pain.   Every time someone dies because of your efforts, you "win" and people die a lot in OHOL.   How interesting. How fun. And so much easier than staying alive.   

No wonder we have serial griefers who kill towns, life after life.   There is no risk and the adrenaline rush of being sneaky and trying to kill as many girls as you can before you get caught must add to the sick enjoyment for them.

Yes. Kill any sketchy players... If they're guilty, you saved the town. If they're innocent, they'll learn not to repeat the action that got them killed.

The players need to step up and combat griefing just as much as Jason needs to fix the cursing system.

He can't fix griefing, no one can. There will always be belligerent ass holes that want to have fun ruining your fun.

#15 2019-09-15 21:26:53

DestinyCall

Killing sketchy people actually has the potential to trigger more griefing.   Being killed unjustly by someone who suspected you were a griefer is a very negative experience.  The kind of thing that might drive someone to hunt down the village where they were killed and take their frustration out on the entire family.

I prefer watching sketchy people and would prefer non-lethal ways to address minor behaviors.   Right now, if we want to stop someone from doing something, we can ask them to stop or we can stab them to death.  There's no middle ground.   It is a very polarizing situation.    I'd like to see additional ways to deal with people - like a weapon that can stun or disarm an attacker - or a "defensive weapon" that can only target someone who is already holding a bloody weapon.  This would make it much easier to identify the real culprit after a crime and decrease the cycle of violence that results in four or five people dying because of one murder.

Our player "tool box" for dealing with griefers is extremely limited.    Build a fence.  Arm yourself.  Watch everyone.   Stab anyone who looks sketchy.   Try not get get stabbed for stabbing someone sketchy ... repeat.

The game itself needs to provide some more options and it also needs to provide some kind of longterm consequences for people who have been routinely identified as disruptive by other players.    If someone has a sky-high curse score, they don't belong on BigServer2 with all the new players who are trying the game for the first time.   I don't want someone's first impression of this game to being watching their entire family get mauled to death by bears and wild boars.

#16 2019-09-15 22:44:46

Mr meeseeks

DestinyCall wrote:

Killing sketchy people actually has the potential to trigger more griefing.   Being killed unjustly by someone who suspected you were a griefer is a very negative experience.  The kind of thing that might drive someone to hunt down the village where they were killed and take their frustration out on the entire family.

I prefer watching sketchy people and would prefer non-lethal ways to address minor behaviors.   Right now, if we want to stop someone from doing something, we can ask them to stop or we can stab them to death.  There's no middle ground.   It is a very polarizing situation.    I'd like to see additional ways to deal with people - like a weapon that can stun or disarm an attacker - or a "defensive weapon" that can only target someone who is already holding a bloody weapon.  This would make it much easier to identify the real culprit after a crime and decrease the cycle of violence that results in four or five people dying because of one murder.

Our player "tool box" for dealing with griefers is extremely limited.    Build a fence.  Arm yourself.  Watch everyone.   Stab anyone who looks sketchy.   Try not get get stabbed for stabbing someone sketchy ... repeat.

The game itself needs to provide some more options and it also needs to provide some kind of longterm consequences for people who have been routinely identified as disruptive by other players.    If someone has a sky-high curse score, they don't belong on BigServer2 with all the new players who are trying the game for the first time.   I don't want someone's first impression of this game to being watching their entire family get mauled to death by bears and wild boars.

Very true.

Killing one griefer can easily turn in to a murder fest.

Angry vengeance griefers are the worst..

I like the idea of a non-lethal option to somehow incapacitate them, without actually killing them, until everyone can decide what to do..

Lol handcuffs?

#17 2019-09-15 22:50:02

DestinyCall

Mr meeseeks wrote:

Lol handcuffs?

We already have rope, you know.

A while back, I made a suggestion to allow clubbing someone with a long shaft to briefly stun them - being stunned would slow movement speed for 5-10 sec and force them to drop any held item (like a weapon or engine), similar to being hit by a snowball.   Doing so would break the long shaft and leave the clubbing player stuck holding the broken shaft for a short cool-down (at least as long as the player is stunned, perhaps a little longer - like five seconds of stun for the clubee and six seconds of cooldown for the clubber), so that a single person couldn't use a bunch of long shafts to "stun-lock" someone until they starved to death.    But a GROUP of people could totally beat someone to death with clubs, if they wanted them to not be a part of their village any longer. 

Alternatively, a stunned player could be tied with a rope to immobilize them for a short period of time.  Maybe one full minute.    Then the rope becomes loose enough to fall to the ground and they can run away, or maybe get bumped on the head again by a guard, if the trial isn't done yet.   Maybe while tied up, a player could be picked up and carried, so you could move them into a more permanent prison - or just build a prison where ever they happen to be tied up.   While tied up or stunned, you could feed the person to keep them alive while you decide their fate.  Or let them starve.  Or stab them.   Your choice, they are tied up.

Since the player that immobilizes the player is stuck holding the broken shaft for a short cooldown, they can't stun and tie up another person by themselves.   Two people would need to work together to tie up a third person.   

Obviously, griefers could also use such methods to immobilize, kill, or imprison regular players, so I don't think that this would be a REPLACEMENT for a functioning curse system.    If you are imprisoned unjustly, you could plead your case or curse the person who tied you up.    If someone routinely abuses these features, they could easily end up cursed by a lot of angry players and that should have some real consequence.    If you are only imprisoning people who deserve it, you shouldn't need to do it that much and shouldn't be at much risk of getting a bunch of curses thrown your way.   Also, it would be important to address the dangers of twins, triplets, and quads ... when players play together, they can do more damage and they are harder to stop, if they want to harm other players.

Another suggestion I've made in the past is the idea of a village militia.   The farmers rising up to defend the village when it is attacked.    The idea is that the majority of long-shaft iron tools - iron hoe, iron shovel, adze, pickaxe, iron axe, etc - could be used as lethal weapons.  BUT ... they can only be used to target killers - someone currently holding a bloody knife, bow, or sword.   You cannot target someone who is unarmed or holding a non-bloody weapon.   After the attack, the villager's iron tool becomes bloodied and he has the same cooldown as a knife user.   The idea behind this concept is that it increases the defensive strength of the average villager without raising the risk for random, unprovoked murder.    If someone kills your favorite sister right in front of you, then you can immediately retaliate using your trusty shovel.  But if you get pissed off at your other sister for being a prissy bitch, you have to go find a knife or bow to kill her.   You can't just bash her skull in with a wood-cutting axe.

This also means that if someone comes over to investigate the murder yelps, they can clearly tell that you were avenging your sister's murder, because the shovel CAN'T be used for first strike.   You didn't start the murders, but you did put an end to them.

I think that would be a significant improvement over the current state of affairs where you must have some weapons around in case someone starts killing people but just by having weapons around the village, you increase the risk of someone going rogue and killing randomly.   And it alleviates the situation where you are getting attacked and no one has a knife or bow handy to defend themselves, so you just end up getting picked off with no option to attack or defend or even run away!  It also lets you defend your village against coordinated raids or war parties.   The farmers can rise up with pitchforks and torches to drive off the griefer or to defend their homes and family from would-be attackers.   Maybe you could even integrate the village militia with the state of war.   In addition to targeting killers, you can attack anyone in a warring family using iron tools, but obviously they are not as strong as the war sword.   This would allow more people to be involved in the fight during a state of war.  Your entire village could go into battle and fight the entire population of the other village at once.

There are many interesting ways that we could deal with griefers, beyond our current options.   

But I'd also really really like to have a proper curse system that imposes real consequences on cursed players, so that the frequency of attacks could be reduced by removing high-frequency offenders from the game-space - either to somewhere outside of the Rift or to a separate DonkeyTown server.    A murder spree is dramatic and exciting if it happens once in a while, but it is not enjoyable to constantly deal with pointless violence and destruction.   I need a proper amount of peace and progress to be able to find any value in the occasional "exciting" lives.    When the balance is tipped toward griefing, I lose emotional investment and desire to play each time I spend an entire life dealing with a toxic level of griefing.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-15 23:35:55)

#18 2019-09-16 01:40:52

Mr meeseeks

These are great ideas. I would love to see something like it in the game soon.

#19 2019-09-16 07:11:26

FeverDog

Connect it to crafting.  Instead of killing them you have to craft tar and feathers and a rail to run them out of town on.  The tar and feathers persist through birth for some time marking them as the tarred and feathered griefer.

I quit playing out of boredom some time in later winter/early spring and just now came back.  After three weeks or so, I'm done again.  This past week or so it was 80% fail game to 15% revive the dying town game to maybe 5% everyone being productive.  This was primarily due to griefers.  And in response to "well, just kill the griefer": As Destiny says, it's so much easier to tear down than build up.  There are so many ways that a griefer can destroy a town without anyone noticing.  I don't mind the old school bear attacks because that did make things interesting and not a "my little pony" game but sheep slaughter or stealing tools or iron will not be noticed straight off and is no fun trying to come back from.  And I have to say that on top of the griefers you have plenty of idiots standing around doing fuck all and not noticing that the tools or iron or sheep are disappearing.  Nobody can do anything about that, I know, but this creates an additional vulnerability for griefers to exploit.  It wouldn't be so bad if all the carrots disappeared or the sheep died if more than one or two hard workers actually noticed.  Often you have a situation where people have no idea what the problem is when there's no shovel or buckets nor do they care.  So griefers plus lazy morons plus no effective punishment system plus current reset and rift system equals broken game.

#20 2019-09-16 07:42:58

DestinyCall

Well, we already have feathers, tarry spots, and fence rails ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riding_a_rail

Gather tar in a bowl from tarry spot to make Bowl of Tar.   Place on hot coals to make Hot tar.   

Gather three goose/turkey feathers into a different bowl.   

Use Hot Tar on immobilized griefer to make Griefer covered in Tar.

Pour feathers on Griefer covered in Tar to make Tarred and Feathered Griefer.

Use long straight shaft on Tarred and Feathered Griefer to make Grifer on Rail.

Team-carry the griefer out of town, while announcing their crimes.

The Tarred and Feathered Griefer can no longer interact with objects, like having yellow fever.     The effect persists until death.

Upon rebirth, the griefer is reborn as Tarry Baby.   

Same as regular baby, but marked as having been tarred and feathered in a previous life.    This effect persists until the griefer has played for sixty minutes in game.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-16 07:52:51)

#21 2019-09-16 08:18:49

Mr meeseeks

I saw tonight how bad the discord griefers are....

They are unstoppable...

They don't even necessarily play as twins.. But they just keep coming, and there is no way to stop them.

Their motivation seems to be ending the arc.

My town survived four boars, two bears, and several stabbings.. But idk what happened after I died.. I assume they will keep coming back until the town dies and the arc is ended... I'm fairly certain I gave birth to one...

#22 2019-09-16 09:27:23

sigmen4020

Mr meeseeks wrote:

I saw tonight how bad the discord griefers are....

They are unstoppable...

They don't even necessarily play as twins.. But they just keep coming, and there is no way to stop them.

Their motivation seems to be ending the arc.

My town survived four boars, two bears, and several stabbings.. But idk what happened after I died.. I assume they will keep coming back until the town dies and the arc is ended... I'm fairly certain I gave birth to one...

I think ending the arc is more an excuse than an actual motivation. These people were griefing even before the arc was a thing. The arc has just made it worse since they can now reliably find the towns they want to grief.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-09-16 09:27:53)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#23 2019-09-16 11:16:23

FeverDog

DestinyCall wrote:

Upon rebirth, the griefer is reborn as Tarry Baby.

Maybe not the Tar Baby which would be catnip to griefers who like to dabble in casual racism.  On the other hand, maybe if they were born a Tar Baby but couldn't move or speak and people could interact with it by smacking it around or sticking a limited amount of stuff on it, this might be an innocuous vessel for griefers to get their jollies.  Then again, it would probably just be a way for racist dickheads to get their own rocks off.

#24 2019-09-16 16:24:25

Ilka

sigmen4020 wrote:

Are you talking about this person:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5239535

Seems this is the kind of person this game is for now. What a shame.

Exactly, it's him. Why can't we get rid of this person?

Mr meeseeks wrote:

I did have a somewhat similar experience last night... Probably the same griefer. I was born in to a decimated town.. The difference? I made sure I found and killed the griefer with my mom. We didn't take chances, we killed all potential griefers. We worked together to rebuild the fence and town, and we were thriving once again. It was one of the most interesting and fun lives I've had.

I will quote a historical figure:
"Fisher: There will be no order in this country unless 750,000 bastards are shot.
Someone is skeptical about this: Do you think there are 750,000 bastards?
Fisher: It's okay. If not, we will choose from the honest. "

Mr meeseeks, congratulations on your sense of humor ...

Wait, wasn't that a joke?

As for ideas - anything, at the moment the level of griefing is unbearable.

#25 2019-09-16 17:29:19

DestinyCall

sigmen4020 wrote:

I think ending the arc is more an excuse than an actual motivation. These people were griefing even before the arc was a thing. The arc has just made it worse since they can now reliably find the towns they want to grief.

Exactly.    It is just an excuse. 

If the end condition was changed, they would find another - like claiming that Jason wants wars or that they need more content to remain sufficiently entertained or that they are avenging a wrong done to them in a past life by wiping out the entire family, generations later.

Griefers always come up with excuses and reasons why their actions are justified.  But the biggest reason is simply that they enjoy doing it and their fun is more important than anyone else's.   It does not bother them when they ruin hours of hard work in a matter of minutes.  It is our fault for getting so attached to our projects.   Our fault for making the mistake of caring about our children and our village and our lives.   

After all, it's just a game, right?

The griefer doesn't make that same mistake, so no one can hurt him.   His life means nothing, so his death is just an inconvience, not a tragic loss.   He feels joy in victory, but nothing for his family.

I wish Jason could understand that people like this have no place to be in OHOL.  They do not belong.  They add nothing of value to the game and actively lower the emotional impact for other players by reminding them that it IS just a game.  Being killed and sabatoged by griefers, life after life teaches experienced players to trust no one and not try to form real emotional attachments to our children in the game.   Why invest so much of yourself in a random stranger who might end up being the same person who killed all the sheep and released boars inside the town fifteen minutes ago?   

One Hour One Life IS "just" a game.   But it has the potential to be more than that.  Griefers, intentionally or not, would see that potential wasted.   Griefed out of existence, just like the village I spent an hour of my real life helping to build last night.   Such a waste.

Board footer