One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-20 07:30:14

Mr meeseeks

Twins

Twinning is a great feature of the game, but it's abused by griefers far too often.

Two or more griefers working together can really wreak havoc on a town.. And it's more difficult to curse and banish them because curses are divided between two people...

I think if cursing one twin counted for both of them it could cut down on twin griefers..

If your twin gets cursed, so do you..

Just an idea..

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#2 2019-08-20 12:41:39

sigmen4020

Re: Twins

Good luck convincing Jason of implementing this. This exact idea has already been brought up hundreds of times.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-08-20 12:54:12

CatX

It seems that with the Rift, griefers don't need to be twins anymore. They find each other easily on the limited map.

#4 2019-08-20 13:38:38

The_Anabaptist

Rather than messing with the curse system, could the option to be a multiple be disabled if you have been in Donkey Town within the last week be a solution?

The_Anabaptist

#5 2019-08-20 18:10:26

Jk Howling

Curisng one should apply to both, and if one is killed, the other should die as well (called Sudden Broken Heart Syndrome), both of which he spoke of and was going to add to them when he initially put twinning into the game. They never made it.

Now it's better to just abandon twins/etc than risk keeping a pair of griefers, because often by the time you recognize them as griefers, they've already done enough damage to harm your town/family for the long run.

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2019-08-20 18:55:41

Mr meeseeks

Jk Howling wrote:

Curisng one should apply to both, and if one is killed, the other should die as well (called Sudden Broken Heart Syndrome), both of which he spoke of and was going to add to them when he initially put twinning into the game. They never made it.

Now it's better to just abandon twins/etc than risk keeping a pair of griefers, because often by the time you recognize them as griefers, they've already done enough damage to harm your town/family for the long run.

I agree. I often starve twins because it's just not worth the risk. It's unfortunate, though, that a lot of non-griefers die that just want to play with a friend

I'm Mr Meeseeks look at me.

#7 2019-08-20 21:59:03

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I can't remember what happened to broken heart syndrome, other than it being a bit of a mess to implement, and I figured most twins would suicide at that point anyway (they want to play together, that's the point, right?)

Regarding cursing both (or all four) in one breath, yes, I'll add that.

#8 2019-08-20 22:12:29

Angel Carrillo

Jason, maybe it could be like "Curse the Queenie twins." Or quadruplets, or triplets.

#9 2019-08-20 22:26:57

Jk Howling

jasonrohrer wrote:

I can't remember what happened to broken heart syndrome, other than it being a bit of a mess to implement, and I figured most twins would suicide at that point anyway (they want to play together, that's the point, right?)

Regarding cursing both (or all four) in one breath, yes, I'll add that.

"They want to play together" is not the point, especially not for griefer twins.. it's more "hey look this family literally can't do shit to us if we work together haha lets kick their asses."

What reason would any twin/multiple griefer ever have to suicide if their partner/s die, when their sole purpose is to do as much damage as possible? If anything that'd be a minor setback at best lmfao. It's basically "Oh no, someone stabbed my twin, well I can just stab him and call the guy who killed my twin a griefer and laugh as the uncoordinated family curses them to Donkeytown while I get off without issue :'D"

It's basically a 2-3-4 VS 1. They have the advantage of coordinating together through outside and more efficient means such as discord, while everyone else is working anonymously through an extremely limited text function. They have the immediate advantage in almost every situation.

Unless you want more communities to rise where players abandon any baby that isn't in their Discord call (which has been happening, and many people have complained about) it's going to continue to be common practice to abandon paired children solely based on the fact that, if they end up being griefers, they have the advantage and can do much more damage any single player could.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-08-20 22:28:00)

#10 2019-08-20 22:35:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

For griefers, broken heart would be good.

But for non-griefers, it would be bad.  Say you're a new player to the game who is playing with your friend, but not using voice chat.  You get separated, and are busy working on different tasks.  Then your twin is eaten by a wolf and dies off screen. Suddenly you die too, for no apparent reason?

Maybe all twins are using voice chat, and I can just assume that this is true.

Broken heart can also be a temporary state that you get stuck in (like holding a bloody knife) that will cause you to starve to death if you don't get help.  This would be better for non-griefers.

#11 2019-08-20 22:37:10

CatX

Jk Howling wrote:

They have the advantage of coordinating together through outside and more efficient means such as discord, while everyone else is working anonymously through an extremely limited text function. They have the immediate advantage in almost every situation.

I agree. I don't play with mods, and it is extremely hard to know what's going on outside my own little bubble - if I'm trying to get something useful done that is.

#12 2019-08-21 06:33:14

Jk Howling

jasonrohrer wrote:

For griefers, broken heart would be good.

But for non-griefers, it would be bad.  Say you're a new player to the game who is playing with your friend, but not using voice chat.  You get separated, and are busy working on different tasks.  Then your twin is eaten by a wolf and dies off screen. Suddenly you die too, for no apparent reason?

Maybe all twins are using voice chat, and I can just assume that this is true.

Broken heart can also be a temporary state that you get stuck in (like holding a bloody knife) that will cause you to starve to death if you don't get help.  This would be better for non-griefers.

Except, by your logic, the other twin would simply suicide in that case, since "they want to play together, that's the point, right?"

If the point is playing together, the newbie would obviously suicide so they can play with their friend again, right? And that's actually true in a vast majority of non-griefing twins- another reason some players often abandon them from the start, because what's the point of raising them when if one dies, the other just suicides? That's simply a waste of resources. But that's not the issue at hand, nor is it something solvable by your intervention.

I think it would be in very few cases where the other twin doesn't purposely suicide after their partner dies, excepting griefers, though.

However, one possibility for this would simply making Broken Heart Syndrome only activate when one of the twins is actively killed by another player- that is, stabbed with a knife/sword or shot with an arrow. They get the same death slowdown and inability to hold items as their injured twin, are saved if the twin is saved, and die if the twin dies.

That way, they're rendered no harder to take down than a singleplayer griefer. They no longer have the advantage of having the other person/people there to retaliate, but dying by accident (starvation, wild animal, etc.) would give them the option to stay in the occasional event that they'd want to.. It would return control to the players, as killing is currently the only option we have at our disposal for ridding our town of griefers.

It wouldn't be foolproof, I suppose. Players could still starve before succumbing to their injury, or if they're close to a wild animal, overwrite their wound with a bite wound and die to that. But it'd be a fairer playing field than what we currently have, which is p much nothing.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-08-21 06:34:06)

#13 2019-08-21 06:49:31

CatX

Jk Howling wrote:

However, one possibility for this would simply making Broken Heart Syndrome only activate when one of the twins is actively killed by another player- that is, stabbed with a knife/sword or shot with an arrow. They get the same death slowdown and inability to hold items as their injured twin, are saved if the twin is saved, and die if the twin dies.

That way, they're rendered no harder to take down than a singleplayer griefer. They no longer have the advantage of having the other person/people there to retaliate, ...

Also, they wouldn't have the advantage of being able to heal each other during the slowdown.

Board footer