One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-26 23:53:56

Claudio_f5

I am so... so sorry...

So, our village got attacked by a bear and I, by sheer luck, managed to cage it inside a house.

I got a bow and a single arrow, so I stand watch in front of the door to dissuade anyone who thought to set the bear free.

This kid arrives and she offers to open the door for me while I try to put the bear out of his misery.

We need 2 more arrows tho, and the kid goes on a quest to find them.

Miracolously, she comes back with them after some time.

"You're amazing kid!", I say , while I was getting old standing watch in front of that damn door.
"I'm doing my best" she responds "this place is amazing!".

The kid drops the arrows on the floor and I think she should be the one to attack the bear while I try to lure him away... I'm old and I had few minutes left to live anyway...

I right click to drop the weapon... and I kill the kid by accident...

I'm shocked and few seconds later I die of starvation...

I'm feeling so bad right now... That kid was so nice, helpful and excited and I murdered him...

If you, by chance, read this forum... I am really, really sorry kid... I wanted to pass on to you my legacy as a "Bear Watchman", but I failed in the worst way possible...

I, at least, hope she realized it was an accident...

#2 2018-03-27 00:52:51

Lexyvil

Re: I am so... so sorry...

God I love this game for how the people we meet seem to only be a one time experience and we get to have stories out of each life. Kind of like Dwarf Fortress, where one round of game has a unique story to tell. RIP Kid.

Last edited by Lexyvil (2018-03-27 07:31:22)

#3 2018-03-27 06:51:45

Thorware

Yep, I had a very similar experience accidentally killing a loved family member when trying to pass on my knife. All because right-click is used for both dropping and killing. I feel like it should be left click to attack with a weapon. Makes more sense to me. Then you never accidentally kill when trying to drop the weapon.

I once even killed a person I couldn't see because they were invisible due to desync, I was just trying to drop the weapon.

Then again, if it's left-click, you will end up accidentally killing people when you're just trying to walk around. Maybe that's worse?

Pressing a special key to attack would fix the accidents, but add weird confusion to a purposely minimal interface.

Perhaps murder should require confirmation. Right-click once and you raise the knife/aim the bow. Right-click the same target again and it is killed. Right-click elsewhere or left-click and the weapon is lowered. I like this solution best.

#4 2018-03-27 11:03:25

Baker

Mother: "Son, I'm very proud of you"

Me: Thanks Mum, I'm doing my best"

Mother: Soon I will be dead, I'm going to give you an importent job"

Me: "What is it"

Mother: I've been carrying this knife for many years, I used to protect this town from griefers. Now that I'm dying I need a replacement"

Me: I'll do my best Mother

Mother: "Here take this knife and use it wisely"  *Stabs son*

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#5 2018-03-27 11:17:58

OxPower

That legit happened to me, old man told me it was my turn to be on knife duty and stabbed me... pretty funny actually the whole family was standing around. I wonder how that went after I was gone.

Board footer