One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-26 18:29:28

Truthseeker

To those saying the game is "over" because griefers

I have played 50 lives and not once met a griefer, to my knowledge, this problem seems gravely overstated, I have much bigger problem with noobs "oops"ing the carrot seed row because nobody talks to anyone in this game, but I have never been murdered or witnessed a murder take place.

If you really think this game is over I have a solution, PM me your game key, I'll gladly give it to friends of mine who want the game but can't scrape together $20.

#2 2018-03-26 18:44:39

Eannatum

Re: To those saying the game is "over" because griefers

Keks. He's right, everyone. I've only rarely seen murders.

I tell my children, "suck ma mammal juice". Then they do and I get cornūy

#3 2018-03-26 18:47:01

Aname

i dont mind the murderering i just hate when people are blocking storage rooms with adobe ovens thats the kind of griefing i hate.

bcuz i almost never see murders too but i saw one time a super big village blocked with adobe ovens thats just sad

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#4 2018-03-26 19:01:47

EaterOfBerries

It is probably being overstated, but you might just be lucky. Recognize that there is a distribution of griefer experiences. In my ~60 games I have been griefed(witnessed mass murder) 3 times, in your ~50 games it was 0 times, likely some of those complaining have had a particularly bad stretch of recent games.

#5 2018-03-26 19:13:42

Uncle Gus

Hey, I've never seen China, are we sure it actually exists?

#6 2018-03-26 19:30:02

fragilityh14

It's sometimes difficult to know what happened. One time, someone came from another civilization carrying a bow and arrow, was friendly, and then said "see you later" then suddenly I died, and I believe someone else before me.

Another time, someone murdered my mom then my sister accused me even though I didn't have a knife, then she ended up being the one with the knife, and I kind of ran away and came back and she was dead and I took care of the knife the rest of the game. (I keep it in my backpack at all times if I have one.)

I think i've been in one more mass murder type situation.

I've wondered about letting you see the world for 30 seconds after dying? I know it kind of hurts the concept of the game. But when you die it's hard to know why or if it was an accident unless you see mass murder starting.

Another time, I was running to get water constantly and a village of only like 5 people were always starving but seemingly doing nothing, I ended up having to wait them out by berry bushes with a baby, because i was near starvation despite literally only being collecting water and foraging as I did it. It was later described to me that someone was intentionally wasting carrots. But I wasn't at the camp site enough to know what was going on.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#7 2018-03-26 19:51:41

Baker

Murdering is part of the game, People just have to be more careful weapons. Even with mass murder, Civs can recover. I was in a Big City that got massacred but an hour later someone came back as an Eve and it was back in operation.

What's BS is the fact that you can't remove ovens and trash pits, I'm pretty sure that will get fixed soon tho. Replanting Tree's would be nice too because Griefers and Noobs always cut down all the useful trees. I don't think griefing will be much of a problem as long as you can recover from it.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#8 2018-03-26 20:18:53

TrustyWay

Grieffers are really rare.

But mass murderer is common, if I don't hold the weapon, there is always a dude trying to kill. Most time was 3 killers on 3 games.

Maybe you guys aren't connected at the same time as the killer.

I am really sure this is one or 2 guys

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-03-26 20:19:41)

#9 2018-03-26 22:58:25

Goliath

Just because it doesn't effect you, doesn't mean it wont one day.
Griefing is a serious issue.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#10 2018-03-27 00:10:19

Avalikia

I've played maybe 15 lives (not counting infant deaths) and have been murdered once.  Which was really disheartening for maybe like an hour, but then I got over it.  I've had way more experiences of managing to live to an older age and reaching that bittersweet moment where you want to keep helping the village but you're about to die of old age - the pleasure of those moments more than outweigh the one griefer experience.

That being the case, I'm definitely not on the side of anyone who says the game is over, or anyone who wants to get rid of PvP.  I agree with the dev in that murder and mass murder is a thing IRL so it should be an option in the game.  I would like to see a few tweaks to the mechanics just to make it more fair, like making it easier to kill someone who is moving.  I also like the idea of something like a handcuffs item so that you have the option of stopping someone without killing them.

But other than stuff like that, I LIKE that the players are responding by having town guards and so forth - that's a very real world sort of solution to that kind of a problem.  Especially since I've seen and experienced more deaths by bears than by griefers - there is more than the one reason why you want to have someone protecting the village!

As for other kinds of griefing, I agree that they should be fixed.  I'm kind of mixed in my feelings about whether or not any of the natural resources should be recoverable if ruined (rabbit holes, ducks, etc.) but certainly anything manmade should be destructable.

Last edited by Avalikia (2018-03-27 00:15:30)

#11 2018-03-27 01:12:33

Auner

I agree with you that when people go 'this game is over' then you should probably go because-- you're obviously expecting a finished product and not this mutual adventure in playing the game and seeing it advance.

And I get it, it can get frustrating and you're like "OMG! DONE WITH THIS GAME!"

But I've always, always, always wanted a game like this where trolls and griefers are embraced. I want a game where we have warlords and stuff to worry about- and let trolls take that route in life if they chose. But I also think the game as it presently stands has zero balance in pvp.

- There is no defensive measures really beyond guards.

- There's no space to move forward. Arrows are a over-powered object in pvp right now-- why would anyone EVER make a gun if a bow does this much damage?

In my personal opinion I think pvp should be taken out of the game until it's actually figured out with some sense of balance so that it's fun for all players. To how that would look is beyond me, this is not a PVP game thus far-- but yeah, the present lack of balance does make it *abhorrently* frustrating.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#12 2018-03-27 01:26:09

MrMaxim3

Look at this screen:

https://screenhunters.com/Z5Zn6o

That why i hate griefers! He used shovels as well as joined sticks. To it he tore the floor out of wood as well as built non-degradable cookers on entries. Please do something!

It lent in order to be formed for murderers also system of the flaw. For example after the manslaughter for 24 hours they had in order to bloody track on the face.

(Sorry for english, this is from translator...)

Last edited by MrMaxim3 (2018-03-27 01:28:36)

#13 2018-03-27 02:49:40

kerfuffle

I have been murdered at least 10 times now. It pisses me each time but I've got more used to dealing with it now.  The part getting me now is the not being able to see the person killing people.  So many times I can't defend myself or my "family".  We just die out of the blue. Once that gets fixed I'll feel a bit better about the random idiots killing people.  Will be more of a level playing field.

#14 2018-03-27 05:45:33

sammoh

There are at least two custom servers that have violence and griefing disabled.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#15 2018-03-27 06:04:48

Erudaru

sammoh wrote:

There are at least two custom servers that have violence and griefing disabled.

Kudos to all the people who maintain custom servers, I'd love to try them all out.

But... I'm fine with violence and griefing, it's just that I want to have a fair chance at dealing with it.

#16 2018-03-27 06:09:50

EmmyGamba

Its not about having murderers, raids and griefers. Generally those things are fine and should of course stay a part of the game. I'm roleplaying a "bandit" myself sometimes and it always creates some interesting stories.

Its about how easily exploitable those mechanics are. Beeing able to just kill and destroy everything in your sight, die, respawn and then continue somewhere else should never be possible.

I'm pretty sure this game isn't supposed to be a place where "trolls and griefers are embraced"

Last edited by EmmyGamba (2018-03-27 06:35:45)

#17 2018-03-27 06:17:46

btn

depends what time-zones you play in a lot as well. the time i have to play when i get home from work (my only time, most days) is quiet server wise, so if anyone is griefing i seem to have a high chance of encountering them. i'm positive i've run into the same griefer nearly 4 evenings in a row now.

#18 2018-03-27 10:58:22

masamune0

I just realized but in the end it may be quite frustrating to be a killer griefer after a while, because when you grief, ok you wiped a village. But later, in a few hours or days, another population will come back to the village and revive it. You can never stop it.

#19 2018-03-27 11:28:37

Baker

It's not like murderers can't be stopped. Me and my Village were able to survive and recover from a murderer.

It started with some random blonde girl coming into town, when I saw her I instinctively moved around as much as I could. I quickly ran to warn my mother "There's a blond girl with a bow, be careful".  My Mother then witnessed the girl shoot an innocent villager, she grabbed her own bow and chased after the griefer. The Griefer quickly fled when she saw my mother, Mother chased the bitch out of town. Every few years the Griefer would comeback but was quickly driven out of town by my Mother.

This went on until my mother got old, Unfortunately, the griefer finally got the drop on her but it wasn't the end. I quickly grabbed Mother bow and chased her out of town once again. I tried to shoot her several times but I missed my shots. Me and the Others were finally fed up with the women. I had hoped she would give up or starve but it looked like wouldn't give up until the end.

The women came in one final time, This time an angry mob of villagers rallied behind me. We chased her for longer this time, We wanted her gone for good this time. Many of the Villagers would periodically yell stuff like "Fuck you" and "Die scum". I had 1 last arrow, I waited for her to stop and eat. It was the one time she stood still for a second, A very brief window to hit her. My last shot was finally a successful kill. We celebrated and headed back to town.

When we got back, It was as if nothing happened. Everyone got back to Farming, Pie Making etc. My Mother was reborn to me and I told her how we avenged her death, I had a few more kids. I told them all what had happened. I grew old, In my last few minutes of life, I told my Grandson about my younger days. I then died peacefully of old age.

Last edited by Baker (2018-03-27 11:30:52)

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#20 2018-03-27 22:01:52

veene

Truthseeker wrote:

I have played 50 lives and not once met a griefer, to my knowledge, this problem seems gravely overstated, I have much bigger problem with noobs "oops"ing the carrot seed row because nobody talks to anyone in this game, but I have never been murdered or witnessed a murder take place.

If you really think this game is over I have a solution, PM me your game key, I'll gladly give it to friends of mine who want the game but can't scrape together $20.

Truthseeker, makes one shitpost and disappears

Last edited by veene (2018-03-27 22:02:23)

#21 2018-03-27 22:10:13

Antichthon

MrMaxim3 wrote:

Look at this screen:

https://screenhunters.com/Z5Zn6o

That why i hate griefers! He used shovels as well as joined sticks. To it he tore the floor out of wood as well as built non-degradable cookers on entries. Please do something!

It lent in order to be formed for murderers also system of the flaw. For example after the manslaughter for 24 hours they had in order to bloody track on the face.

(Sorry for english, this is from translator...)

Aw, man. I made that city. Guess I'll have to do some cleaning up once oven bases can be removed.

#22 2018-03-27 22:16:53

Yogotronik

Baker wrote:

It's not like murderers can't be stopped. Me and my Village were able to survive and recover from a murderer.

It started with some random blonde girl coming into town, when I saw her I instinctively moved around as much as I could. I quickly ran to warn my mother "There's a blond girl with a bow, be careful".  My Mother then witnessed the girl shoot an innocent villager, she grabbed her own bow and chased after the griefer. The Griefer quickly fled when she saw my mother, Mother chased the bitch out of town. Every few years the Griefer would comeback but was quickly driven out of town by my Mother.

This went on until my mother got old, Unfortunately, the griefer finally got the drop on her but it wasn't the end. I quickly grabbed Mother bow and chased her out of town once again. I tried to shoot her several times but I missed my shots. Me and the Others were finally fed up with the women. I had hoped she would give up or starve but it looked like wouldn't give up until the end.

The women came in one final time, This time an angry mob of villagers rallied behind me. We chased her for longer this time, We wanted her gone for good this time. Many of the Villagers would periodically yell stuff like "Fuck you" and "Die scum". I had 1 last arrow, I waited for her to stop and eat. It was the one time she stood still for a second, A very brief window to hit her. My last shot was finally a successful kill. We celebrated and headed back to town.

When we got back, It was as if nothing happened. Everyone got back to Farming, Pie Making etc. My Mother was reborn to me and I told her how we avenged her death, I had a few more kids. I told them all what had happened. I grew old, In my last few minutes of life, I told my Grandson about my younger days. I then died peacefully of old age.

I've had a similar experience, I took over the pie maker position in my village while my sister was leading the farm.
Out of no where a lady comes out of the woods and murders my assistant.
I chase at her with my knife, but she gets away.

My sister sees me afraid I'm about to start killing people and I explain to her a women with black hair just killed somebody.
She gets a bow and arrow and we begin guarding the town.

The killer shot at least one other person before my sister got her with the bow, but at least we avenged the victims and protected the village.

#23 2018-03-28 03:01:44

Portager

Look, people need to look towards the future here.

The longer this problem continues unabated, the more dire the consequences that will likely arise. Three weeks ago I was happily playing this game with no serious griefing incidents, then a slow trickle of incidents began, and slowly that trickle has turned into a raging flood. Through that time, my enjoyment factor has also decreased markedly. Based on the number of threads in these forums on this topic, I can tell that I am not alone. If something is not done to balance out the pvp mechanics, eventually many people's enjoyment will diminish to the point that they no longer play the game. This could end up being disastrous for the long term stability of this game.

The bottom line is that we need something to balance this mechanic out, so that people can still murder if they want to, but the ease of committing the task is not an easy one click process.

Board footer