One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-26 11:02:17

miskas

The Minoan farming layout.

Greetings Strangers.
I come from an Island of Mediterranean. At the start of our civilization, our resources were limited so my tribe got in love with efficiency.
After years of farming, we saw that the most important variables in farming are Harvesting time, the field of view capacity, re-planting time, noob friendly seed laws. Regarding these Variables, we invented the Minoan Farming layout!
it is possible for an experienced farmer to be able to work alone in this and produce for all the tribe.

here is the format without sparing any resources to achieve maximum efficiency.
You can do it with half the water pouches and carts as well but you will need one more laborer to bring water and do composts.
https://prnt.sc/iwhpy1

seed law is one seed per row.
Instead of the seeds being picked from baskets we also use backpacks so with one full backpack you can replant 8 tiles in a matter of seconds.

Suggestion: never do waiting whenever you finish what you were doing get prepared for the next phase of farming.
You can also cycle your seeding tiles with baskets of carrots or even a simple carrot on the ground. It usually makes people that come from flanks to find it easier to eat from the dropped carrot on the ground instead of your future seeds.

With this layout our tribe advanced and now has achieved great numbers of people and wealth. We now hope to make a new colony hereby incorporating with the strangers of this land. Friendly regards from our metropolitan city back in Crete. 51fb2c44cedb96e055944380b68692c4.jpg

Last edited by miskas (2018-03-27 07:20:12)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2018-03-26 13:03:14

MaKroW

Re: The Minoan farming layout.

Can you do an in-game screenshot? I don't understand the excel.
Looks promising nevertheless, thanks !

#3 2018-03-26 13:19:18

mikekchar

It appears to be alternating rows of empty baskets and carrots, with the left most column of carrots being left to seed.  Around the outside of the box is as written.  The key to the chart is a bit hard to notice, but essentially anywhere you see "-3" its an empty basket and anywhere you see a "5" it's a row of carrots.  I'm most curious about the significance of -3 and 5 and what it has to do with the Minoan culture...

Edit: Ah -3 indicates it can hold 3 things and 5 indicates there are 5 carrots.  I get it now!

Last edited by mikekchar (2018-03-26 13:22:18)

#4 2018-03-27 00:13:32

draequine

TL;DR: Dope Farm Layout, but seeding inside the farm is always risky, and are you outlining this farm with wooden flooring so that its easier for later generations to get the point of this farm?

I myself am a firm believer in being able to take stock of a farm at a glance, but I also hold the utmost importance in idiot proofing. Seeding on the farm can never be consistently upheld without someone constantly crying out about it and keeping a basket of carrots available for starving members who can't keep track of their hunger. I appreciate this layout for making full use of field vision and maximizing basket availability.

I have my own farm layout that I've been working on that focuses on being an easy to recognize modular chunk. 9 rows of 3 carrot fields, which are arranged in 4 pairs ending in the ninth. Outline it with wood flooring which are flanked with boxes. Wood floors are where emptyish baskets belong. Now, beyond the ninth row is a fenced off area where seeding plots belong, along with baskets containing ready seeds in case of incidents or reseeding.

I feel that rows of three when farming carrots work better because it fills five baskets, four of which fill a box while leaving one out can save a hungry villager running back from a long journey.

Your farm is definitely better in terms of efficiency and works great with a lead farmer who knows the rules associated with it, but I can see it falling victim to a lack of proper understanding from new settlers rediscovering it who decide that it's just a long farm and begin their cycle of farming without any proper guidance

Not that my layout is immune to that either, but it is my belief that by making clear distinctions with flooring and fences people are more likely to get the point or, failing that, a later more experienced farmer can easily fill in the gaps.

I hadn't considered using backpacks to hold seeds! It makes perfect sense!

Board footer