One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-02 15:18:00

Lava

Can you implement a sound when peace is declared maybe a text effect?

This would help to know if peace is declared across everyone on either family. Since many families branch out into different towns

#2 2019-08-02 15:20:48

Aurora Aurora

Re: Can you implement a sound when peace is declared maybe a text effect?

Why would anyone go trough so much effort to take a little horsie for like 20 minutes just os they can declare peace with a village theyll never meet. Thats dumb

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2019-08-02 15:22:12

Lava

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Why would anyone go trough so much effort to take a little horsie for like 20 minutes just os they can declare peace with a village theyll never meet. Thats dumb

You have to know their language in order to declare peace so its not dumb

#4 2019-08-02 15:22:39

Aurora Aurora

Lava wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

You have to know their language in order to declare peace so its not dumb

..english?

#5 2019-08-02 15:26:12

Lotus

different families don’t speak the same language anymore, aurora

#6 2019-08-02 15:28:56

Aurora Aurora

Lotus wrote:

different families don’t speak the same language anymore, aurora

Did the chinese take over?

#7 2019-08-02 16:48:33

jasonrohrer
Administrator

There's a language filter, so when they type english, you see it as another language.

You have to say PEACE together as elders in a mutually-understood language for it to work.  This implies a lot of very hard language teaching effort OR several generations of coexistence (so you now speak a common language through osmosis).

However, the effect IS worldwide, so you're right that there should be a global notice about it.

Like a little note paper at the top of the screen which says:

PEACE BETWEEN SKY AND EIS

And then later if broken:

WAR BETWEEN SKY AND EIS

I will probably just use the tutorial note system for it, including the bell sound.

This could be used for other notices as well.  I might add a general NOTICE protocol that the server can use to inform people of whatever, including CHILDREN OF MEN mode, or a message that I want to tell everyone.  Would be cool!

There could also be hourly progress notes about the arc, which would be great.  "Arc has been running for 2160 years."

This is very cool, and I will add it.  Hopefully today.... but maybe not until after my vacation!

#8 2019-08-02 16:52:53

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Definitely need a noise. My mom and an old man were trying to do it and they both said peace in each other's language, but we weren't sure if it worked and we didn't want to "test it"

Same thing happened me with and an old man. We said it several times, but we just weren't sure.

YES EVERYONE WHO ATTEMPTED WERE OVER 55.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#9 2019-08-02 17:25:30

Saolin

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Last night I was in a fenced village and we realized we had no girls. We discussed what to do and someone found a mother and daughter to invite in. We declared peace in each other's language. We also gave them our last name too, so not sure if peace is redundant in that case.

I was thinking a noise would be good to confirm that it worked, but I suppose if its global, having a notification play across the screen is a better idea.

#10 2019-08-02 22:41:07

Psykout

I would like to also have a sound effect and color change to the chat bubble. Even if you change the tooltip some might notice and still stab with a knife or use a bow. The extra notification and easier to notice chat will let everyone know "this guys' cool"

Also exchanging peace should be easy. Whoever decides to exchange it types out peace, the other person sees a five letter word and repeats it and boom. It will still come down to a little bit of trust since knives and arrows are fair game.

The way I see some interactions going down, cart wheeling explorer comes up to gate and emotes /love. Perhaps he places his pack on the ground to show, mean no harm. He is given the passcode and he repeats and brings his goods into town and everyone knows the new guy has been given a clear.

#11 2019-08-03 05:34:22

Saolin

Psykout wrote:

Also exchanging peace should be easy.

It is easy, only thing is the age limit (55+) might be too high.  In the experience I gave previously, , while my family was typing "PEACE", I saw the other family saying "FEIRE" repeatedly.  I typed it, and shortly after I saw the Mom saying "PEACE" in my language.   The thing is, I'm pretty sure I was in my early 50s and the woman was ~40, so it probably didn't apply anyway :S

#12 2019-08-03 17:44:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Done in this update already!

Also when peace is broken again (via mutual elder WAR declaration).

#13 2019-08-03 22:39:59

Carrot-Seedling

Saw the "1300 years this arc" paper in my corner. Works good!

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#14 2019-08-04 23:50:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, this is a general purpose system for notifications.

I'll try not to go overboard, but I may use it for other things in the future.  For example, when the last member of a long-lived family dies out.

#15 2019-08-05 10:50:52

FulmenTheFinn

jasonrohrer wrote:

You have to say PEACE together as elders in a mutually-understood language for it to work.  This implies a lot of very hard language teaching effort OR several generations of coexistence (so you now speak a common language through osmosis).

I've triggered peace as an Eve with other Eves, so generations of coexistence is by no means required; just say "peace" in their tongue, exactly the way you see it, and have them do the same in yours. This can easily be accomplished through voice comms, in-game notes or just common sense.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I may use it for other things in the future.  For example, when the last member of a long-lived family dies out.

That'd be pretty neat.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#16 2019-08-06 12:39:51

MistressZues

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Definitely need a noise. My mom and an old man were trying to do it and they both said peace in each other's language, but we weren't sure if it worked and we didn't want to "test it"

Same thing happened me with and an old man. We said it several times, but we just weren't sure.

YES EVERYONE WHO ATTEMPTED WERE OVER 55.

Now that you know when peace is declared @only if you were alive when it happened I think a different text color or a highlight should be used on those who your family has peace with. So those born after or who just didnt see the ding of Peace can know that drawing their sword wont work an they should try to make nice.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#17 2019-08-06 13:02:21

sigmen4020

FulmenTheFinn wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

I've triggered peace as an Eve with other Eves, so generations of coexistence is by no means required; just say "peace" in their tongue, exactly the way you see it, and have them do the same in yours. This can easily be accomplished through voice comms, in-game notes or just common sense.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I may use it for other things in the future.  For example, when the last member of a long-lived family dies out.

That'd be pretty neat.

Please don’t give him any ideas of nerfing the PEACE function. I haven’t really seen it get used, but anything that removes a war swords killing potential is a good thing in my book.

Also if it’s easy to get PEACE that way it’s also easy to do WAR, since both functionalities use the same concept. It works both ways.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-08-06 13:03:31)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

Board footer