One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-31 22:24:00

arkajalka

My experiences from life at rift.

So basically i took as my objective to live 3 lifes(bb starwation doesn't count) and try my best to make the village prosper and take the rift experience open hearted with no grit. I won't take part in any war or that kinda shenannigans, just passive dalai lama lifestyle trying to make good things hapen for the society. This is what happened.

First life.

Was born outside of village to a mom munching bananas. She took me back to the town. People were spamming sad faces and literally everything was in scrambles, the fire wore out, the town was out of water, every berry bush, pie and all edible you can think of had been eaten out.

There was some light at the end of the tunnel tho, the town had a diesel engine ready to set go as soon as there were oil and the town was fenced out with property fence. So as my first action i had to run out of town fast and get some food, luckily the property fence was open as people didn't pass on the ownership. I found a berry bush just in time to not starve, found few more berries near swamp area. So now that i had found water and a source of food i would deliver all those goodies back to town. Went to town, grabbed bowl and headed back to berrybushes got some food next to ponds. Went back to town and grabbed empty bucket.  Filled the bucket and tryed to get back to town, but the fence was closed and i could not get in. My sis came to the gate aswell with berries in bowl. Now we both were fenced out of the town with water and food, literally what the town needed desperately. In time a lady let us in and i rushed to the languishing berries and watered them, back to pond and a new bucket. Hauled that to the "bakery" and made dozens of pies.

Now that the most critical point was secured i could breathe. Saw there was all stew ingredients ready to be made and made a pot of stew. By that time some people had broken the property fence some how. Well i couldn't care less as long as i can get out of town and haul some goodies in. Hauled many baskets of soil back to town and some skewers, tilled some soil and planted carrots wheat and some milkweed.

Then group of foreigners rushed to town and started to swing their swords, i only knew location of one bow and shot one invader, but as you get slowed with the bow hit the other people with swords got me before i could hide behind a tree and continue my revenge spree.

TLDR Borned to town with no food or water, made food and got water and resourses--->murdering foreigners killed everyone cause people broke the fence somehow.

Second life

Borned into a village that had everything ready for starting to boom big. Sheep pen, berry field, bakery, the forge and foods. Everything was set to go.

As a first task i breeded some more sheeps out of wild berries. Found a knife and made sheeps skins for all the towns people as we already had medical supplies. Now the girls wouldn't have to run dem tiddies open.  Got some mutton made on the go also. Then a fully clothed man with a pie in a backbag came to the pen and died infront of me out of starvation. Well thanks for the bag i guess. Pie was handy too.

Roamed the nearby surroundings. Catched some bunnies, found a lazy backbag makers den (five skinned rabbits and a twopieces of cut rabbit fur) and hauled that to town. There were lots of bunnies in the town and i lit a fire and cooked some with a lady. Made few omelets also on the go. Made few pies and cooked a turkey. Well everything seemed good now. Smith was working and someone was already building up a property fence to protect us.

There was a free cart laying around so i thought id get some baskets and clay for the town as it seemed we lacked some good old pottery. Hauled some wheat to the village as i was making the baskets. Then headed south out of the town. There were 2 bears on the loose. The first ones didnt get me and i continued my way to find a some clay and munched some bananas on the road. Then out of a sudden another freaking bear and this time it got me. RIP. Shame i didnt get in time to the town to tell about the cart.

TLDR made some sheepskins for dem ladies and headed out of town to scavenge, died to bears

Third life.

Borned to the family line that killed me at my first birth. Well no grit so im just gonna work my ass off. As usual as a kiddo i munched some berries and checked out the outlay of the city. Everything seemed good, berreis were doing nice and dem bautiful ladies were baking sweet sweet pies and cooking stew/broth. Went to say "wasup" to the smith and asked if he needs anything. Well iron of course and rubber. Iron is gonna only happen by accident when you roam out of the town and encounter it and rubber didn't feel doable at the moment as i didnt have a knife and the town needed desperately more buckets.

Well again a man dies infront of me in full gear, sweet thanks i guess. I think to myself that the town needs more buckets to ever make that rubber happen. So i decide to roam into the wildernes. Armed with the good old sharpie i start to venture forwards. The landscape is filled with bears. Its freaking dangerous to roam out there. Now that i know better i would prefer a cart with bearkill kit when roaming, but that was not doable at the moment and i was too little anyways to do any of that cart stuff. So i roam the landscape. No milkweed in sight. Then all of a sudden i encounter a small temporary camp.

Theres another man from my family line there too and he has begun to farm milkweed. I decide to tag along and help him on his task as roaming the lands didnt seem to profit any rope for the incoming bondage parties.  So we haul tons of soil and tag team water with bowls and make a huuuge milkweed field. I make some pottery on the go and eat some shroomies. We let all the milkweed grow up and  hang in the rare miracle of milkweed field. We both are getting super old now and decide we must venture back to the town with all dem sweet ropes. All dem ladys gonna go crazy over the bondage parties we can have now!

So we get back to the town and meanwhile we been farming tons of rope the town has cycled into the withering berryfields of doom. No one is taking care of the berries, making any pies and everything has been eaten. So there we both stand as old dudes in middle of huge amounts of rope and starve to death.

This life was actually pretty sweet and i liked it, but THE RIFT delivers at the end with its missery, depression and purposlessnes.

TLDR Made ton of milkweed, came back to town and starwed

For brieff glimpses life was actually sweet, but all in all the rift makes you wonder if you could do something else with that rope and a sturdy treebranch.
milkweedparadise

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-31 22:47:03)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#2 2019-07-31 22:46:22

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: My experiences from life at rift.

I'm still working on it, of course, but this doesn't seem that out of line.

As for why the berries were dying at the end of the last life, and what that had to do with the rift, I'm not sure.  Sounds more like they weren't taking care of them.

Currently, folks have beaten the record by around 2 extra hours from last time, and it seems like there are still at least 3 families alive in there, so that's good.  I do imagine that players will get better and better at this as a group over time.

#3 2019-07-31 22:51:20

arkajalka

Not saying its rift fault that the berries got neglected, but somehow this seems to be more common than the fields actually blooming.

Also i have almost 800 hours in this game and if the life is that hard for me you can imagine what it is for people who arent that experienced.

Guess the berry fields of doom is mainly cause people run out of water and most people cant take a bucket out of town and fill it from pond. Also thing that i noticed is that we have so freaking many bears that it would be sweet if there was some other way around them too. Like lets say bear traps. You could put those on the town entrances. Would make bear grieffing harder, also new ways to kill bears would encourage people to venture off and kill wild roaming bears for their skin.

Having arrows to kill the constant bear attacks also comes with the downside that the arrows are easily used on people too.

Also new ways to transport water would help a lot too. Like lets say you could make a huge water skin backbag out of leather, which would hold one bucketfull of water. This would encourage people to haul more water to the town from outskirts and that way prevent the withering that tends to happen.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-31 23:02:22)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#4 2019-07-31 23:11:50

Potjeh

Make dogs fight bears. Something like three dogs to kill a bear, and two die in the process.

#5 2019-08-01 02:02:56

ollj

i like how english loses all its remaining irregular verbs fastert han most other languages, and "borned" is jut such a cute word.

Last edited by ollj (2019-08-01 02:03:11)

#6 2019-08-01 06:38:13

arkajalka

ollj wrote:

i like how english loses all its remaining irregular verbs fastert han most other languages, and "borned" is jut such a cute word.

Well english aint my native. My own language is much more blunt, straight forwards and plain, with little nyances. Maybe thats  part of the reason why its losing these "irrelgular verbs" so fast as its spoken/written by people who dont speak it by native. So everything irregular just drops off.  Ain't a spelling contestant, but still can prolly spell better than most muricans.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-08-01 06:40:50)

#7 2019-08-01 08:49:06

MrsDuckGirl

I have a similar story :
I was born in a kicking town, engine is set up, there are baskets full of pies... Only a few berry bushes are languishing, i can't see any bucket around so, okay, I go on a rope mission. I leave the town with only my pants on. Quickly, I find a backpack, wooden shoes and a rabbit fur coat for me, and a lot of clothes that I can't take. I pass by a lot of arrows and bows hidden behind trees, I found two knives and a broken horse cart. Great ! I'll first get a rope to repair the horse to bring all clothes to town. Obviously, no more wild milkweed but I find a spot near swamps, with a bowl of milkweed seeds, a stone hoe, clay bowls and other usefull stuff. Okay, let's plant four of them, while they grow I can explore more. But there's only three seeds... It's gonna be a bit longer than expected. And here comes a man to who I explain what I'm doing. He hands me a milkweed stack. Omg thank you, just what I was missing ! Then he suggested we plant more milkweed to have a bondage party. That sounds fun, I accept.

Here starts our ant work : all by hand, one brings wild soil with basket and backpack, the other separates with a bowl, one makes rows with the stone hoe, the other plants, we switch roles, we made a chain to water the plants (I was laughing hard when we were switching empty bowls with bowls of water) as we had no well but some pounds south.
At then end, we got around sixty milkweeds. We filled our backpacks, two extra backpacks I had found previously, and one basket (btw Arkajalka next time, bring the bp instead of basket as it holds one more item) and went back to town.

Only to find a bunch of starving half-naked people, running over bones everywhere inside the city and its dry berry field, raw pies, kids shouting F... I fell like hanging myself with my ropes.
During all our farm job, we fed ourselves with berries, two or three rows of carrots, bananas, cactus fruits, and 3-4 bites of pie. And there was some food left when we left our farm. How did we last ? We were yumming (I assume Arkajalka was too). We didn't have a big variety of food, but even a small chain is better than nothing. One berry, one berry from a bowl, one carrot, start over. You'll last longer than eating three berries from the bush.

Since the rift update, it's even harder to teach newbies. They die quickly because they forget to eat, stand on desert tiles  or one of us just get killed by grieffers/foreigners. We live under preassure and emergency, and it too much ends in a bloodbath. That's not really fun.
I won't talk about all the stuff hidden behind trees. In this life, I saw maybe six bows and ten arrows hidden in the wild, and I haven't explored that much. No wonder why there's no rope for bucket.

I personally think the rift is way too small. I don't like it because I don't like being trapped, yet it's way too small.
I made some quick mathematics with the towns Slinky and I built on a low pop server. The city I built alone sprawls out on around 100x80 tiles. I started by walking more than 400 tiles to find a good spot (I wanted a hudge biome with a few of non-removable objects). I have dug and used all the big rocks over two hundred tiles around the city. Trees too, I even planted more. I tapped all the iron veins 300-400 tiles around. The city looks like a city, it could probably host 10-15 people and I spent around 80-90 hours on it. So, that's something a familly could easily do, as long as people are working. And many do, and many explore far.
The kitchen Slinky built in the south city is only a 12x5 buildings, with six doors. That's 34 stones, 72 logs (for floor only), more than one chisel, four mallets. The southern city is even bigger than the northern one, no need to say we have explored even farther than 400 tiles around. They are 600-700 tiles far appart, that's 2-3min by horse. Not far at all.

It seems to me that there's even less big rocks since yesterday, with the new biomes generation. What means less big buildings. Well,  if famillies/cities have to last three days anyway, I don't really see the point of building them.

Those are my disjointed thoughts about the rift. If it remains that small, it removes some creativity.
With that map size, people meet too early and fight too early. And too much.
Also, 21 related girl kids ?! To what we add maybe 10 men ? More than 30 people in a single familly, isn't it a bit too much ?

Quiet lives like the one we had are too rare. So "thznk you" again, Arkajalka !
aS7Iz4Y.png

#8 2019-08-01 09:19:24

Grim_Arbiter

Quick little story

I was born in a reallllly bad eve spot, that wasn't even my original eves.. it even still had bones of the previous residents lol. but I tried to salvage it. My last girl cousin gets old and only has boys. It basically just me and my nephew left at camp and I told him to get what he could and head south east ( where I saw the most signs of civilization) I shot off ahead of him because I honestly didn't know where it really was, and wanted to see it before I died. It ended up being further than expected,  but I ended up finding a relatively advanced town for the time..but they were being swarmed by bears. I lured 3 bears out of the south of the town and went to lure the ones in the north when I saw my nephew again, he made it! Unfortunately I think we came at the same time as the bears, and we might have caught the blame. After I died of old age they killed him sad but his killer ended up getting mauled by a bear right after as as some karma.

We may have been the perfect cover for an internal sabotage.. but it was still cool to travel like that and meet up with him again in another village.

Sorry they weren't nice to us, but they were going through a lot.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2019-08-01 10:11:31

Psykout

arkajalka wrote:

Also new ways to transport water would help a lot too. Like lets say you could make a huge water skin backbag out of leather, which would hold one bucketfull of water. This would encourage people to haul more water to the town from outskirts and that way prevent the withering that tends to happen.

Or just make full rabbit skin water pouches containable. Four in the pack and three to four carried in the basket/extra backpack carried with you, similar to how you can carry two piles of dirt using backpack now. Water carrying was definitely a job in early/tribal communities.

#10 2019-08-01 13:09:54

arkajalka

Ye deffo was yum chaining. Even bowl trick with berries helps a lot(eat one from bowl). Occasional hardcore berry munch to full hunger from a bush. Surviving doesnt take much, but famine strikes guick if you neglect the berries. Spam too much sheep food for clothes and dont make any soil-->huge time cap till more soil transforms-->languishing berry bushes for ages...

The bowl chain was so freaking good XD.

Board footer