One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-29 18:29:55

Lava

Your losing player yet you dont seem to care. Why?

Over this update tons of forum users have said their farewell to the game until it gets fixed or they said it perm. His player base has dropped significantly yet he's still adamant on pursuing this update. The success of the Liz and Holly family should tell you something. NO ONE wants to be in a cage!!! only reason people are even going into hammers is because they either want to trigger reset or save the server. Listen to your player base!! Liz town is doing so well and is looking so good while the Hammers have been purged over and over but they still keep coming back.

If your going to do this, iron has to be way more abundant for players to actually escape that place. Or make another option to exit the rift.

#2 2019-07-29 18:33:22

arkajalka

Re: Your losing player yet you dont seem to care. Why?

Moneys have been milked no need to improve, better to let it die fast for new money machine.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2019-07-29 22:49:55

mrbah

I think this smaller scope will allow jason to inspect more precisely what mechanics are troublesome.

Before the update, when a wild ressource was too hard to aquire, you could always grab a horse and get it from the wild.
Now player's can't mitigate flaws, so jason can see them better.

at least that's my theory.

#4 2019-07-29 23:10:34

Morti

mrbah wrote:

I think this smaller scope will allow jason to inspect more precisely what mechanics are troublesome.

Before the update, when a wild ressource was too hard to aquire, you could always grab a horse and get it from the wild.
Now player's can't mitigate flaws, so jason can see them better.

at least that's my theory.

Problem with this idea, the change has lead to panic which has changed player's behaviors.
In the smaller areas players consumed more wild food and worked less.
As the area grew, some began working harder, while others were under the impression they needed to continue consuming any food in sight before anyone else got to it.
It's just not a good measure of behavior, in relation to consumption of resources in a given area, when that area is forcefully limited.

Not to mention the behavior of people who want to exert their own limitations by selectively altering certain resources; cutting maples, staking berry bushes, culling muflon, etc..

#5 2019-07-29 23:13:25

Morti

Even knowing that the stones were limited, and would be in demand for wells, cisterns and tools, I saw a much greater number of sharp stones in the limited area, suggesting the same player, or group of players, was purposefully cracking them on hard rocks just to make them useless as plain stones.

#6 2019-07-30 00:46:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Lava, remember that the rift has been with us for 4 days.  That's less than 1% of the 465 days that this game has been running.

If some people are SO NERVOUS that the game is ruined, and 1% of days spoil 99% of days for them, well... they aren't very loyal fans of the game, are they?

And they are in a tiny minority.  There are 89 active players right now, which is higher than usual for a Monday afternoon.  No big crisis in sight.

844 unique people played the game yesterday.  A few people saying their "permanent" goodbyes after they played for 100s or even 1000s of hours is nothing.

I know you want to believe there's a crisis, but there isn't one.

Remember, I'm not doing this to make everyone as happy as possible right NOW, in this moment.  I'm doing this to make the best possible game of all time, eventually.

There is no way to do that without bold experimentation.

70,000 people have played this game, but only 844 played yesterday.  Where are the other 69,000 people?  They left long ago.  Why?

Because the game wasn't good enough yet.  The game gets boring for most people after about 20 lives.  There's not enough player interaction, or interesting stories emerging.  There's no long-term arc or meaning.

The game not being good enough is the main problem here.  So keeping the game the same, to make a few vocal people happy, is just not going to work.

The game needs to get way better.

So do I care about losing players?  A little bit.

But I'm much more concerned with making a truly amazing game.

OHOL is NOT truly amazing yet.  It's pretty damn amazing, but not there yet.  It will be, though.

If I eventually make a truly amazing game, I will win all those players back 1000-fold.

A truly amazing game will make even 70,000 players look like small potatoes.

#7 2019-07-30 01:27:48

RedComb

jasonrohrer wrote:

The game not being good enough is the main problem here.  So keeping the game the same, to make a few vocal people happy, is just not going to work.

The game needs to get way better.

So do I care about losing players?  A little bit.

But I'm much more concerned with making a truly amazing game.

OHOL is NOT truly amazing yet.  It's pretty damn amazing, but not there yet.  It will be, though.

If I eventually make a truly amazing game, I will win all those players back 1000-fold.

A truly amazing game will make even 70,000 players look like small potatoes.

You are taking the old adage of dancing with the one you brought and flipping it on its head.

You have zero respect for the people who put their money, time, and passion into loving this game.

Marginalizing them by calling them "a few vocal people" and playing off their loss like it's small potatoes says everything about what you think about your players and what they contributed to this game.

You had a faithful, passionate, unique fanbase and forsook them for some pie-in-the-sky dream of all the players flocking to your game after some magical point is reached where it's an amazing game.

Here's the truth: The really great thing about this game, and the thing that made it special and amazing was its COMMUNITY, not your recent hair-brained and half-baked design choices.

Have fun iterating your way to hosting a ghost town, all the while waiting for eternity for legions of new players who will never arrive.

#8 2019-07-30 01:51:55

Potjeh

It doesn't matter how amazing a game is if it gets a bad reputation, players simply won't give it a shot.

Board footer