One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 16:17:53

Ellesanna

My Fear

So I have been on a few month hiatus from this game after the weird temp update that made it so you couldn't survive without clothes. I got really frustrated with it and decided to take a break for the sake of my temper and sanity- and also to see if things would change and the game would be enjoyable to play again. Every couple of weeks I would check up on the forums and updates and see what was going on. Yet, it seems with every week more and more people are less satisfied with the game.
People also no longer seem excited about updates but are instead dreading them- no longer do we see updates as new fun content but instead another disappointing or difficult add on to the game. Even people who are still hopeful only look forward to updates to see if they remove or fix features from previous  updates in the past.

This is not good.

As said in previous posts, I loved this game and the potential it has shown but the direction it is currently going is opposite what drew people in in the first place. It saddens me greatly that so many people are having their love for this game sucked dry. I just wanted a cool game full of family members bonding, working hard, and learning together how to survive in the wilderness. What we have now are mounds of baby corpses and hard to understand mechanics that are impossible to teach new players about before they perish. We have chaos, despair, confusion, and anger all the time with little to no hope.

It is still possible to turn this ship around and get back to what made this game fun and interesting in the first place. But really, it is all up to Jason and whether he gets the message. I understand being a game developer is difficult and I really hope he hasn't thrown in the towel on this game- I couldn't imagine trying to come up with and implementing new content for such a complicated game.

What do you guys think?
-Elles

#2 2019-07-27 16:29:51

Spoonwood

Re: My Fear

Ellesanna wrote:

As said in previous posts, I loved this game and the potential it has shown but the direction it is currently going is opposite what drew people in in the first place.

Tarr's post elsewhere on the story arc makes it sound to me like every single core concept, even the multiplayer aspect, has gotten wrecked by this update.

I wouldn't put any faith in Jason.  He doesn't listen to anyone... not anyone who understands things well, and really no one at all.  It only seems to get worse in that respect/become clearly that Jason just doesn't have a clue about listening, especially to criticism.  He also won't hire help, and that almost surely indicates that he has severe problems in working with others.  So, the game getting better just ends up relying too much on him, and his track record of making good updates is full of rather clear failure in terms of game goals.  That might not be so bad, since baseball hitters don't get on base most of the time or advance their teams progress.  However, the game's number of players have never reached anything remotely close to what they were since the steam update.  This isn't exact, because not everyone plays on steam, but it's useful: https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All  If you look at the server numbers consistent, for the past few months, at best they have stagnated.

As I write this about 12:30 P. M. EST on a Saturday afternoon, bs2 has had 45, 40, 47, and I think 51 players.

Jason's latest update, and the very concept itself limits how many people can play at once artificially.  Even if things weren't so bad as they stand right now, such limitations aren't consistent with a game that can grow in terms of it's playerbase over the long-term.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-07-27 16:30:40)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-07-27 17:00:51

Dodge

Just enjoy the ups and downs of that crazy rollercoaster ride and stop worrying so much, he wont stop until he makes "the greatest game of all time."

Who knows what the game will look like in 1 month, 1 year, more???

#4 2019-07-27 17:02:46

RodneyC86

Dodge wrote:

Just enjoy the ups and downs of that crazy rollercoaster ride and stop worrying so much, he wont stop until he makes "the greatest game of all time."

I dunno man, I'm kinda losing hope now. The game is slowly turning into an Eldritch abomination. It's mutating way too fast way too much way too soon.

Also this update is extremely newbie unfriendly.

#5 2019-07-27 17:13:25

Dodge

RodneyC86 wrote:
Dodge wrote:

I dunno man, I'm kinda losing hope now. The game is slowly turning into an Eldritch abomination. It's mutating way too fast way too much way too soon.

Also this update is extremely newbie unfriendly.

Too soon? We've been stuck in the old meta for months, tbh i was getting bored with it, spawning in an end game town with everything already done, making pies or tending berries for a whole hour because nothing really meaningful to do or challenging.

Have you played the new update?, did you get bored during the lives you lived?

Also it's only been less than a day since it's out, lots of balancing and issues to fix.

"Also this update is extremely newbie unfriendly."

Not going to disagree on this one with you, but it's not the first time it happenned and it always got fixed like the temp update that was messy at first but now the reason we dont live naked in desert edge anymore.

#6 2019-07-27 17:20:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

RodneyC86 wrote:

The game is slowly turning into an Eldritch abomination.

IT"S ALIVE< IT"S ALIVE!

THE LUNATICS ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM NOW.

On a more serious note, I'm completely off my rocker.  I've gone crackers.  There are bats in my belfry.  I'm not playing with a full deck.  The lights are on, but no one is home.  I've taken leave of my senses.  I've lost my marbles.  There are rats in my attic, gators in my sewer, and pigeons in my plumb-cake.  I've gone stark raving mad.

MAD, I TELL YOU, MAD.

Are you feeling entertained yet?

HOLLA' TWENTY-DOLLA'

#7 2019-07-27 17:21:16

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Such ups and downs are NOT a way to have long-term growth in a playerbase.  The gameplay can have some issues over time, sure.  Bugs can exist or other un-desireable results.  But, if the majority of the gameplay has severe downs for people on a consistent basis, I don't see how a game will grow long-term.

Also, when is criticism ever valid to you?  There's no reason to suppose that criticism and pointing serious problems is any more true than praise a priori.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2019-07-27 17:23:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

OH, BUT YOU"RE SO WRONG< AS ALWAYS SPOONY_WOONY

UPS AND DOWNS< PARTICULARLY DOWNS< ARE THE VERY BEST WAY TO GROW A PLAYER BASE>

LOOK THIS UP ANY TIME IN THE GAME DESIGN BIBLE>  IT WILL TELL YOU PRONTO< KK?

#9 2019-07-27 17:24:03

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

The game is slowly turning into an Eldritch abomination.

IT"S ALIVE< IT"S ALIVE!

THE LUNATICS ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM NOW.

On a more serious note, I'm completely off my rocker.  I've gone crackers.  There are bats in my belfry.  I'm not playing with a full deck.  The lights are on, but no one is home.  I've taken leave of my senses.  I've lost my marbles.  There are rats in my attic, gators in my sewer, and pigeons in my plumb-cake.  I've gone stark raving mad.

MAD, I TELL YOU, MAD.

Are you feeling entertained yet?

HOLLA' TWENTY-DOLLA'

85 people as I write this.  Then I see 88, then 87 on bigserver2.  The numbers should give you pause for humility, not this "I am the greatest" posture, which only has uses in trying to intimidate other people.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-07-27 17:25:30

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

OH, BUT YOU"RE SO WRONG< AS ALWAYS SPOONY_WOONY

UPS AND DOWNS< PARTICULARLY DOWNS< ARE THE VERY BEST WAY TO GROW A PLAYER BASE>

LOOK THIS UP ANY TIME IN THE GAME DESIGN BIBLE>  IT WILL TELL YOU PRONTO< KK?

Even supposing you correct, where are the ups?  I don't see ups since shortly after the Steam Relase: https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All  Not even that concept works out as warranting your attitude.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-07-27 17:25:44

jasonrohrer
Administrator

CRITICISM IS NEVER VALID TO ME< EVER< EVER< EVER>  I NEVER LISTEN< AND I NEVER LEARN A DAMN THING FROM MY PAST MISTAKES>  THAT"S HOW DUMB I CAN BE>  THE DUMBEST EVER< BUT ALSO THE MOST BRILLIANT EVER>  A BUNDLE OF CONTRADICTIONS LIKE THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN>

SO PLEASE KEEP THE INVALID CRITICISM COMING>  I EAT IT FOR BREAKFAST< LUNCH< AND BRUNCH>

#12 2019-07-27 17:28:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

THAT"S THE BIG SECRET TO MAKING A GAME THAT MAKES MORE THAN A MILLION DOLLARS WITH A BUDGET OF $0 DOLLARS:

YOU HAVE NO UPS< ONLY DOWNS>  PLAYERS HATE UPS< AND THEY WILL SPEND THEIR MONEY ELSEWHERE IF YOU HAVE TO MANY UPS>  PLAYERS LOVE DOWNS>  THE MORE DOWNS< THE MORE MONEY YOU MAKE>

THAT"S THE OTHER BIG SECRET ABOUT ME THAT NOBODY KNOWS>  I ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY MONEY MONEY>  TRYING TO MAKE THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME IS A LIE>  I"M TRYING TO MAKE THE WORST GAME EVERY< BECAUSE THE WORST GAMES MAKE THE MOST MONEY>  JUST LOOK AT IFART ON IPHONE AND COUNT THE SALES NUMBERS SOMETIME>  NEXT WEEK"S UPDATE:  OFART>  THAT"S OHOL WITH FARTS IN IT>

#13 2019-07-27 17:30:57

jasonrohrer
Administrator

oh crap, my shift key just broke.  i'll have to get a new keyboard to continue this discussion.

#14 2019-07-27 17:37:28

Whatever

lmao

#15 2019-07-27 17:37:46

BladeWoods

Just use caps lock

#16 2019-07-27 17:37:57

Ilka

Sigh. Well, maybe you just have enough of this game?

Maybe game was not as succed as you expected?

So that you do not have to worry about new updates every week, have you decided to discourage players?

There are no players, no problem.

You can start to make next game. 

If that's the case, just say it honestly and stop spoiling what you've done.

This is of course the so-called conspiracy theory, but I can not understand your behavior, Jason.

#17 2019-07-27 17:38:01

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Happy to be of service, Whatever!

I've got to earn my keep somehow, and game design clearly isn't it.

#18 2019-07-27 17:40:05

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ilka, what you are peddling is not mere CONSPIRACY THEORY.

No, it's the all-mighty cousin, CONSPIRACY FACT.

You are right.  You've got my number.  You've figured me out.  The jig is up.  The eagle has flown.  The war is over.  Okay, everybody go home and read Breakfast of Champions before it is too late.

#19 2019-07-27 17:41:02

Potjeh

Yup, lots of Down's going on here.

Last edited by Potjeh (2019-07-27 17:44:31)

#20 2019-07-27 17:41:59

Ilka

LOL.  You're a kid.

#21 2019-07-27 17:46:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Nothing but downs.  The game has only gotten worse since day 1.  That is the big secret to having a game that's still selling well after 15 months.  Make it worse and worse, and the players will stick around.

Whenever I go back and play on the time machine server, I think, "Now THAT was a game.  An amazing game!  Where did it go?  And what idiot ruined such a masterpiece and drove it nose-first into the lake?  Oh wait, it was me."

If you want a taste of this unspoiled brilliance, before I ruined everything, it's right here for you, included for free with your $20 purchase:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6250

DON"T WORRY BE HAPPY

#22 2019-07-27 17:47:11

Whatever

jason chill and play some OHOL

#23 2019-07-27 17:48:00

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Oh yes, you're right, I should.  The server is fixed now.

I had stopped playing for a while because of baby hell.

Board footer