One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 17:52:45

schmloo

Irreversable, Significant or Hard-To-Recover-From Griefing Techniques

Unfortunately a lot of things in the game are very vulnerable to being abused and exploited. I noticed that a quick change was made to staking wild bushes as soon as the problem was communicated somewhat properly. I'll state a list of exploitable features, and any additions are more than welcome, encouraged in fact, as I don't want this just to be a biased list just of what I've seen. I'll edit and add them to the post so people can avoid having to scroll through tonnes of comments.

My suggested fixes may not be the best options. There's probably no point in adding them into the post, but it doesn't hurt to have them here.

Griefing Techniques:

Cutting down every maple (or useful) tree in an area.
- Cause: Cutting down large numbers of trees is too easy.
- Effect: Town is deprived of long shafts (required for tool handles and thus general productivity), kindling (a backbone resource of an industrious town) or rubber trees (an important resource for water technology).
- Possible fix: Brief slow movement after using an axe, like after using a weapon.
- Possible fix: Trees require 2 chops with an axe (possibly time-delayed between each use). branches still grow on half-chopped trees.
- (lilbogrusboi) Possible fix: Maple seeds don't decay.

Two or three people wiping out entire villages with swords.
- Cause: Sword combat cannot be countered, even with a brief cooldown. Swords are too simple to craft, resulting in the capability to mass-produce as many swords as flat rock and iron availability, and click-frequency allows.
- Effect: Many generations of hard work and development, and overcoming challenges is easy cut short with low-intermediate knowledge of smithing, and minimal skill in "combat".
- Possible fix: Give swords a decay like any other tool, and allow blocking. Decay happens on kill and block.
- Possible fix: Make people who contribute more to society more wieldy with swords. More tasks completed = higher strength points (per life), with some advantage over people with lower score.

Purpose obstruction with Newcomen towers.
- Cause: Tower with pump kit can not be taken apart, making it a more costly but guaranteed method of making an impassable and unmoveable barrier.
- Effect: Fenced-off towns can be blocked in by Newcomen towers and adobe oven bases. Also allows for making bell towers unusable and unreachable.
- Possible fix: Allow pump beam kit to be removed from the Newcomen tower.

Growing a large amount of non-recyclable veggies, like tomatoes, and intentionally producing clutter.
- Cause: Tomatoes and onions don't decay, and can't be recycled. They are also currently only used in one or two rarely used recipes, that requires one clay bowl.
- Effect: An ungodly amount of clutter. Slot boxes aren't an option as they'll just make more.
- Possible fix: Give more recipes for onions and tomatoes, Allow a range of vegetables to be used as a substitute for carrots or berries in composting.

(ollj) Taking plates from the forge and filling them with turkey slices.
- Cause: Turkey slices can't be removed from a plate.
- Effect: Plate's can't be recovered for a while, hindering smithing for tool production and water technology progression.
- Possible fix: Turkey slices can be removed from plate and stacked like carrots? In fact, maybe many other small food items can do this, such as piles of berries or corn cobs?

(ollj) Flooding a town with weapons to incite violence, and cause a town to kill itself.
- Cause: Simplicity of crafting knives in developed towns, and arrows in towns with much untouched wilderness and grassland resources. Inability to reverse crafting of arrows.
- Effect: Towns that end up with many idle players who feel that they don't want or need to work, and are looking for things to do that they'd not normally do in earlier, more work-demanding towns will often turn to killing each other for the lols. Arrow wounds are exceptionally hard to heal and be taught how to heal, so unless there is an experienced player in the town many people will die if shot by an arrow. Not only in late towns however -- many stabbings are followed by a wave of stabbing the stabber, then shooting the stabber, then shooting the shooter... etc. This would often eventually lead to many/all of the towns girls getting involved and dying.

(ollj) Blocking text when the victim of a murder is trying to prove innocence.
- Cause: Text bubbles overlap when speaking.
- Effect: A victim of a killing can't prove their innocence, resulting in a potential hard worker and/or fertile girl dying at the hands of someone intentionally utilising it.
- Possible fix: Dynamic text bubbles that organise themselves to fit on screen?

(Tarr) Smithing parts that can't be recycled, in order to waste iron.
- Cause: Many parts can't be recycled.
These include: Crude piston, Crude cylinder, Empty fuel tank, Boiler, Wick housing, Precision cylinder, Fuel injection nozzle, Fuel nozzle body, Steel rod, Cam shaft, Crank shaft, Thin steel rod, Drill bit.
- Effect: The same effect as running out of iron, except much earlier --
- Possible fix: Make these items recycleable

(Tarr) Intentionally scrapping multiple-steel parts.
- Cause: Multiple steel parts, such as lock and Key, and diesel engine parts that include 5 bars-worth of iron are recycleable
- Effect: Wasting and faster decay of iron and steel in a town.
- (Tarr) Possible fix: Remove the recycling of multiple-steel parts.
- Possible fix:Allow for reversing crafting of engine parts to be recycled individually.

(Tarr) Filling bowls with irreversible materials  such as carnitas.
- Cause: Carnitas and such can't be removed from bowls
- Effect:  Creates clutter and lessen the availability of bowls in a town.
- (Tarr) Possible fix: Empty into trash pit or be eaten with spoon.

(AmberA) Poking many bears and bringing them to a city.
- Cause: Poking a bear cave does not kill you.
- Effect: Griefers will poke multiple bear caves in an area and bring them all to a city for the purpose of killing everyone.
- (AmberA) Possible fix: Poking a bear cave is an instant bite.
- (AmberA) Possible fix: Bear caves not spawning within X tiles of each other.
- (AmberA) Possible fix: Bears already die with 3 arrows but maybe if can bleed out, maybe 3 minutes with 2 arrows and bleeding out in 8 minutes with just 1 arrow.

Technique.
- Cause:
- Effect:
- Possible fix:

I'm sorry I couldn't provide image evidence of the techniques. If anyone has any, could you quote the part in the post and send it, as it would help to highlight the problems even further. Thanks!

Last edited by schmloo (2019-07-27 18:48:12)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2019-07-26 18:16:42

ollj

Re: Irreversable, Significant or Hard-To-Recover-From Griefing Techniques

filling too many plates witrh turkeys, sure its a population boom, but that attracts raiderrs, and that kills the city,as their steel production lacks plates.

flooding a family with knifes or arrows. not a thin anbymore in barrle royale mode, but with great power comes great irresponsibility and a lot more murder.

killing someone much younger, and overwriting anything he says with "its okay he wanted to die"

#3 2019-07-26 18:23:09

Tarr
Banned

Last night was different because players forced him to deal with the issue right away vs having him leave it on the back burner for months. It's starting to become increasingly clear the only way to get bugs fixed is to rampantly abuse them to a point where

Kerosene wick housing cannot be recycled
- Cause: Jason forgot to put in the transition
- Effect: Able to ruin a bunch of steel without being able to recover it.
- Possible fix: Put in the transition.

Key and lock blank can be recycled in one crucible
- Cause: Jason fixed on transition but left this one in as well.
- Effect: Able to very easily start deleting steel bars.
- Possible fix: Remove the transition.

Can't remove carnitas from a bowl
- Cause: Jason hates bowls
- Effect: Bowls become stuffed useless as they're filled with carnitas
- Possible fix: Empty into trash pit or be eaten with spoon.

Anyways I could go through all these ways to grief things but unless people are actually doing it in game on a massive scale he isn't going to care. We need wild and cRaZy changes to keep the game fresh

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-07-26 18:32:38

lilbogrusboi

The first solution to the axe is not that good.
If you had to wait 60 seconds to chop down another tree that would be terrible and people would most likely die of starvation while chopping down trees.
But then having to chop down a tree twice is not going to stop griefers. They will just chop down every single tree just a slight delay.
The solution in my opinion should be to have maple seeds not decay if in a bowl (like milkweed) that way you could keep a bowl of them in a locked door or something then replant. Not ideal but another solution

I'm still lagging

#5 2019-07-26 18:59:40

schmloo

ollj wrote:

filling too many plates witrh turkeys, sure its a population boom, but that attracts raiderrs, and that kills the city,as their steel production lacks plates.

I'm not sure that's irreversible... since you can just eat the turkey. It's more of an advantage than a disadvantage having more food. The solution is doing the common process of making sure people don't take things from important workstations.

ollj wrote:

flooding a family with knifes or arrows. not a thin anbymore in barrle royale mode, but with great power comes great irresponsibility and a lot more murder.

Knives can be recycled. Maybe flooding a town with arrows gives an atmosphere of violence, but it also prepares the town from you bear griefers.

ollj wrote:

killing someone much younger, and overwriting anything he says with "its okay he wanted to die"

You can just move around, and keep spamming up arrow+enter. I'll add it in but it's not a priority in my personal opinion.

#6 2019-07-26 19:03:54

schmloo

lilbogrusboi wrote:

The first solution to the axe is not that good.
If you had to wait 60 seconds to chop down another tree that would be terrible and people would most likely die of starvation while chopping down trees.
But then having to chop down a tree twice is not going to stop griefers. They will just chop down every single tree just a slight delay.
The solution in my opinion should be to have maple seeds not decay if in a bowl (like milkweed) that way you could keep a bowl of them in a locked door or something then replant. Not ideal but another solution

Oh god no not 60 seconds, literally like 5-10 seconds paired with the double hit. I know it won't stop them but it'd give them a chance. But yeah like I said, please build on the ideas as mine are quickly thought up. The non decaying maple seeds however can act a lot like tomatoes, but on that line of thought maybe planted maples don't dry up soil?.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-07-26 19:58:12)

#7 2019-07-26 19:04:19

Laskara

schmloo wrote:
ollj wrote:

I'm not sure that's irreversible... since you can just eat the turkey. It's more of an advantage than a disadvantage having more food. The solution is doing the common process of making sure people don't take things from important workstations.

I actually see where ollj is going with this, the turkeys take a very long time to eat and require at least one free plate and a knife so it takes a while to gets the plates back even if you have both and in the meantime your city can't make any more steel if you pull this off successfully enough, but I haven't actually seen turkeys used for greifing ingame yet

Last edited by Laskara (2019-07-26 19:04:56)

#8 2019-07-26 21:36:23

AmberA

Poking many bears and bringing them to a city
- Cause: Poking a bear cave does not kill you.
- Effect: Griefers will poke multiple bear caves in an area and bring them all to a city for the purpose of killing everyone.
- Possible fix: Poking a bear cave is an instant bite.
- Possible fix: Bear caves not spawning within X tiles of each other.
- Possible fix: Bears already die with 3 arrows but maybe if can bleed out, maybe 3 minutes with 2 arrows and bleeding out in 8 minutes with just 1 arrow.

#9 2019-07-26 23:32:05

BladeWoods

None of these are new problems and there's many more like them, but it seems all the game's problems with clutter and destroying resources have been made far worse by the limited map.

Many of them can be fixed and have been issues in github for months.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-07-26 23:33:38)

#10 2019-07-26 23:33:22

Tarr
Banned

BladeWoods wrote:

None of these are new problems and there's many more like them, but it seems all the game's problems with clutter and destroying resources have been made far worse by the limited map.

I mean I guess you can just dump trash outside of the border now with teleportation. Why clutter your town when we can just throw it over the wall lel.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer