One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-25 17:24:22

miskas

Game lacks of worthy Communication - Feedback to Jason

I play from the time we all ate only carrots and...I find communicating information unpractical, timely, too limited

character limit progression is too slow.
(at least give me a bonus if I have Good Genes)

Communication is useful in crisis but that's when you don't have the time to do it!

Teaching others requires you to be Old enough to have big character limit but also requires the city to be prosperous cause you will both not work and just eat from food reserves.

To share map info you first have to explore Map, then write it on paper that needs 72 steps and can't contain much! ( why can't craft a map? or an editable paper cause all I find are used for chit-chat.)

Lack of city blueprints! Building roads, walls, the whole city design needs coordination. One man cant build it right away but could craft the blueprint for others.

Finally... why no Numbers, and only words?

Cooperation not only needs time to communicate but also requires time to search for a Willing and Able person.
Vision range is limited but via sound, you could call for someone to come to you from further away while you keep doing your job without to have to risk your production time roaming for help.
Having a scream with a long cooldown to call when lost in the wild or need help doing a task (smithing) or anything that you don't know or can't do it alone.
Bonus if wounded: scream help manually and auto appear the name of the perpetrator.

I don't know If I am the only one but whenever I play including myself I rarely see people exchange useful information that will end in cooperation, coordination or anything useful for the village. Most of the times players go to autopilot doing what they think they need to do. There is chat don't get me wrong but only to say TY, ILY, bye, GL and other chit-chat staff.  Meaningful Communication needs more words and time than a simple chit-chat talk and with the current system is hard to be done.

You said from the start you need stories, but stories need communication, cooperation, and quests. Give us the tools to achieve those and you will have your stories.

Last edited by miskas (2019-07-25 18:04:09)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-07-25 18:56:46

Dodge

Re: Game lacks of worthy Communication - Feedback to Jason

I agree that there is a lack of meaningful conversation in the game, most lives are "HI BABY" "GL" autopilot, then finally "BYE"

I had some very good cooperative lives which made them much more interesting and memorable than the usual ones.

I really dont think the charachter limit is a big issue and if you stand by a fire or have clothes then you have time to talk, even in the wild there is usually enough food to last the time required to have a conversation.

I really think that the main issue is that there is no actual reason to communicate or cooperate, since you can do everything yourself, why waste time to elaborate some strategy or plan to do something when you could do it yourself faster.

Right now the game is all about being fast, crafting fast, getting ressources quickly etc.

And not really about organization,strategy,communication,planning and so on.

But if you would actually need others to make something then communication would be an important part of the game.

A skill system with jobs could make you actually need others and communicate to have a successful village.

Everyone could still do all the basic stuff and survive but if the smith does the farming for example he would waste a lot more ressources than if the farmer was actually farming and the village would die very fast, but if everyone communicates and organizes then the village would thrive and an economy would start to take form.

If you could make a backpack yourself but it only lasted 20 minutes before decaying and the backpack that the tailor made would last 3 hours, would you not trade with him for his backpack instead of making it yourself?

That's the beginning of a meaningful and interesting conversation and not just "HI", "TY","ILY", "BYE".

#3 2019-07-25 19:16:36

Saolin

I have mixed feelings about the communication in this game. On the one hand, time is a very limited resource, so being able to communicate more effectively would really help. A lot of times communication is too effortful and also hit or miss on whether it will even be responded to in a useful way.  On the other hand, the limited communication makes interacting a lot more cute since often players will just type a few key word instead of a full proper sentence. It tends to come across in a cute way which compliments the cute graphics of the game.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-07-25 19:25:02)

#4 2019-07-25 21:16:40

ollj

its intentional to have limited communication capability.

and you easily underestimate nonverbal communication methods in ohol.

the "jobs board" letters proves surprisingly effective, especially within multi-family cities.
i still wait for "haiku baskets" of 3 notes that are semi-haikus, where 3 letters form a sentence/poem puzzle, to convey more abstract and more modular intentions.
and the letters are short enough to form more sentences by permuting them differently, a bit like the npc-wtalkitalkie-grunts of [half life].

one example for a 3 letter haiku is  "shitzy settlement" "fifehun free cloth" "northeast stones"

so far i only found some multi-letter epos stories. thats some nice culture, but it easily turns into an incomplete mess.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-25 21:21:45)

#5 2019-07-25 23:42:49

Laskara

90% of communication that helps players coordinate is happening in the discord specifically because it's nearly impossible to coordinate ingame. I agree this is a problem. I think the automatic scream of a perpetrator's name would help reduce the murder/greif cycles as well, since everyone would know who was responsible and the entire town wouldn't start a stabbing spiral to find the "Real" greifer.

Board footer