One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-24 17:04:56

Karrots

bEcAuSE iT'S roLePLAy1!11!!!!!!!11!!

Alrighty folks, we're at it again. This story starts with a fella we're going to call Bob.

Bob was building a property fence south of town. I ran into this cage while I was shooting turkeys. I figured, judging by the soil and small size it was a milkweed farm and let him be.

Turns out, no.

Bob was just a greedy little prick. He started planting his own berry farm and hogging tools, but it was too late. He died young in his property fence without passing it on to anyone, leaving all of his good clothing and grave trapped inside this ugly box blocking lower expansion of the town.

A few boring years of berry farming, cooking, and building later I notice someone is building a cage next to Bob's. I learned my lesson the first time. I break the fences and, what do you know, the builder's friend says "aw, someone broke the slave cage."

That's right. Not even trying to hide it, he flat-out admits it is a slave cage. And forgive me if I am wrong, but that is obviously griefing. So I steal their fences and move them into the yellow biome, not really a hiding spot but to just delay them a bit. This is where the builder catches me and starts demanding I stop. I tell him property fences are bad, and I was informed this would be a slave cage.

Which he admits. (From here on I'm going to descend into madness, warning you ahead of time)

Yet SOMEHOW he doesn't consider it griefing, because it's *roleplay* and "roleplay is a huuuuuge part of this game"

He then goes on to excuse it as being roleplay, because it's roleplay, roleplay roleplay roleplay. And we're ruining roleplay by being "too serious" which therefore ruins the game.

Okay, I can use that logic too. Advancing civilizations are a huuuuge part of OHOL. Your roleplay is in the way of civilization advancement. By not being serious enough, you are ruining the game.

And then he goes on to talk about well it's "not that bad" because he was going to feed his slave and ask the mother if she wants to sell her child into slavery, and they could always figure out how to escape if they don't want to.

What type of idiocy is that? The whole chain of logic is completely ridiculous. The person will NOT be able to fully enjoy the game. And you say it's "not that bad" because you ENJOY roleplay. But some player who goes afk for a moment could awake to being locked in a cage for your enjoyment. They don't want to rp, they aren't having fun. You've wasted their time and a life so you could find enjoyment in locking them away for no real reason.

Please explain how that is not griefing.

If you want to roleplay above all else, go play a roleplay game. Stop putting your enjoyment first at the expense of other players. By the way Jason, I would love if property fences were more balanced. Like if they started to swiftly decay as soon as the last owner dies. But y'know, suggestions are bad and all so I doubt you'll ever see/consider this.

Can't blame a girl for trying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#2 2019-07-24 17:08:04

YannaChan
Banned

Re: bEcAuSE iT'S roLePLAy1!11!!!!!!!11!!

Karrots wrote:

Alrighty folks, we're at it again. This story starts with a fella we're going to call Bob.

Bob was building a property fence south of town. I ran into this cage while I was shooting turkeys. I figured, judging by the soil and small size it was a milkweed farm and let him be.

Turns out, no.

Bob was just a greedy little prick. He started planting his own berry farm and hogging tools, but it was too late. He died young in his property fence without passing it on to anyone, leaving all of his good clothing and grave trapped inside this ugly box blocking lower expansion of the town.

A few boring years of berry farming, cooking, and building later I notice someone is building a cage next to Bob's. I learned my lesson the first time. I break the fences and, what do you know, the builder's friend says "aw, someone broke the slave cage."

That's right. Not even trying to hide it, he flat-out admits it is a slave cage. And forgive me if I am wrong, but that is obviously griefing. So I steal their fences and move them into the yellow biome, not really a hiding spot but to just delay them a bit. This is where the builder catches me and starts demanding I stop. I tell him property fences are bad, and I was informed this would be a slave cage.

Which he admits. (From here on I'm going to descend into madness, warning you ahead of time)

Yet SOMEHOW he doesn't consider it griefing, because it's *roleplay* and "roleplay is a huuuuuge part of this game"

He then goes on to excuse it as being roleplay, because it's roleplay, roleplay roleplay roleplay. And we're ruining roleplay by being "too serious" which therefore ruins the game.

Okay, I can use that logic too. Advancing civilizations are a huuuuge part of OHOL. Your roleplay is in the way of civilization advancement. By not being serious enough, you are ruining the game.

And then he goes on to talk about well it's "not that bad" because he was going to feed his slave and ask the mother if she wants to sell her child into slavery, and they could always figure out how to escape if they don't want to.

What type of idiocy is that? The whole chain of logic is completely ridiculous. The person will NOT be able to fully enjoy the game. And you say it's "not that bad" because you ENJOY roleplay. But some player who goes afk for a moment could awake to being locked in a cage for your enjoyment. They don't want to rp, they aren't having fun. You've wasted their time and a life so you could find enjoyment in locking them away for no real reason.

Please explain how that is not griefing.

If you want to roleplay above all else, go play a roleplay game. Stop putting your enjoyment first at the expense of other players. By the way Jason, I would love if property fences were more balanced. Like if they started to swiftly decay as soon as the last owner dies. But y'know, suggestions are bad and all so I doubt you'll ever see/consider this.

Can't blame a girl for trying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Im a roleplayer, but I think its not ok to do something like that if the person does not wish to roleplay with you, like you said, its griefing and you can't force people to roleplay with you. You can ask the person if they want to and if they say yes then go ahead.

#3 2019-07-24 17:55:45

arkajalka

Jailing/imprisoning players is the worst kind of grieffing. Atleast when you kill someone you let him out of his missery.

Just insta stab these so called "roleplayers".

No questions asked.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#4 2019-07-24 18:12:40

schmloo

Yes, using roleplay as an excuse for griefing is dumb. It can be answered to anything, like:
"haha im roleplaying a sheep-hater, I kill any sheep I see lol. those darn sheep right?"

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#5 2019-07-24 18:22:55

AmberA

Agreed! This is one of the worst kinds of griefing. Even if the child was ok with being locked up for roleplay, it's most likely still griefing the town. That's because if the child is "pretending" to be scared and begging "for roleplay" then others don't know that and will react as if it's a real person stuck in there. Now if both parties are open to others about it being roleplay and they don't harm anyone else then go for it, have fun.

#6 2019-07-24 23:21:17

Laskara

to be fair, you're roleplaying too, not ruining his roleplay. you're roleplaying as someone who understands slavery is wrong and that people who want to take slaves are shitty human beings. smile

#7 2019-07-24 23:56:06

ollj

its not idiocity, except your own, if you fall for the lies of an asshole griefer thief.
and when it comes to lies and abuse of power, people often lie to oneself as a way of making lame excuses like "lesser evil" bullshit, and these lies are the most persistent ones.

the simple solution to this is more bears, and a pinch of sarcasm.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-24 23:58:53)

Board footer