One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-23 20:04:12

Whatever

My first Apocalypse

Yesterday an apocalypse happened and it removed all my beautiful roads.
So i thought myself, ok whatever lets try to make another apocalypse again as fast as possible. ( i have never done one before )

First i choose a nice place and bring some stuff there:

bzLHHbl.png

i hide the tower behind a tree, i already have 2 endstones.

I then build walls and doors (with locks) and get one more endstone:

vG6XOt6.png

( Ziv if you are seeing this the endstone on the floor is you, i was BEAR PIZZA smile )

I especially build the doors infront of snow, so they are harder to block (but this design is not perfect)

Next i place the last endstone and build a property fence around it:

MXpilpz.png

This makes it impossible for me to get in but everyone else also cant get in.
I also lure a lot of bears to the area to kill unwanted visitors.

Now the end tower is ringing like a bell and everyone on the server can hear it.
My plan is to keep the fence up and reapair it until the tower is ready for the last sacrifce.

The first person who finds it is ollj, he posts an image on discord, i then talk with him in private and he starts helping me defend it.
Many more people come and try to take it down:

ve5H7k4.png

they successfully get trough the fence, by placing a stone wall before it so i couldnt repair the fence.

then i get more support from the group that did the last apocalypse, i join the their discord and they come to help me. ( Yikes and DarkDrak )
also some random (unknown) people show up and help protecting it.

we successfully defend it, the tower is now ready and Yikes offers herself as the last sacrifice:

DfLjxEb.png

and everything resets again:

vu9Gdtg.png

This apocalypse happend ca 29 hours after the last one.
I put the first endstone down ca 3 hours after the map reset.
I then timed every stone so i can do it as fast as possible, i even changed my sleep schedule a bit for it.

How long will it take for the next apoc to happen?
This game could be played like a speedrun, how fast can we make apocalypses?

Last edited by Whatever (2019-07-23 20:11:28)

#2 2019-07-23 20:08:21

Tarr
Banned

Re: My first Apocalypse

>Speed running apocalypses again

OH NO NO NO.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-07-23 20:16:31

BlueDiamondAvatar

For the messed up bell signals... I've created a github issue. 

Whatever and team... your observations are especially useful in diagnosing, since you actually know what the status of the endtower was at various times.  (That is, they probably would be if Jason ever notices the github report...)

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/363

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-07-23 20:39:07

AmberA

When I was a new player I though the apocalypse was awful but now that I've been playing longer I can appreciate the fun factor of both sides; being a creator or defender. Compared to building a city (which gets repetitive) this can be an interesting challenge to more advanced players. A night or two ago I was in a city that needed a pump because we'd run out of water but we had people building a car instead. Most likely the city was going to fail because of it but they wanted to help stop the apocalypse and they'd use the car to get there.

I hear the apocalypse sound but I've never gotten an arrow. How do you know where the tower is located?

#5 2019-07-23 20:41:19

Grim_Arbiter

+1 on blue diamond

Yall would have had a harder time without half of the players thinking that the bell was the boy who cried wolf.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-07-23 21:14:20

ollj

I confirm this story. good summary.
private chat was long 5 hours, were both native german, so it was more bilingual fun.

the property fenche was a risky rush, 2 people constantly had to run to it and repair the fenche and to kill all the younglings that got too close to it.

5 hours before apocalypse i noticed babies getting born within 1k distance (as my mom had the bad luck of me being one such baby), one mom, 2 kids, i kill the mom, who had a knife and asked me "what are you doing with that arrow", she knew i was returning with a bow, but failed to evade or counter. my older brother fails to kill me with a bow while i munch betties and dont starve. and then they all get suicidal.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … stones.jpg

4 hours before apocalypse, i find a more developed base 800 tiles from the tower. so i killed all sheep there, hid axe and hid file, stole 3 hammers and the smithy-thingy in a cart, to set that outpost back by 1 hour, so it only had war swords 1-2 hours before apocalypse, way too late, way too far away. and the base was then exposed and griefed/warsworded by many. all this could easily have ended in donkey town. its like 6 stars in GTA.

3 hours before apocalypse,2 more fertiles (other than me) started giving birth right next to the endtower property fenche, and they sure wanted to wait till the fenche could be broken. (wll, actually, i was likely first fertile who gave birth when i went there 5,5 hours before apocalypse, my daughter only reached age 10. and [whatever] claimed to be her murderer.
i killed 2 of those fertiles next to apocalypse tower with a bow, and anyone else next to it was just too old to manage to break the property fenche, or identified as "stranger to be hushed away for 10 minutes till that stranger dies old"

2 hours before apocalypse, things get weird. one mom walled herself in in a property fenche witrh 3 berry bushes, i supüpose in an attempt to make me commit to as sid, and well, that just worked for her. or just really dumb asshat slavery suicide griefing.
and we grow from a team of 2 to a team of 5, as far as i could assume.
10 minutes before apocalypse, 2 of the apocalypsers get born to  mom who says "sory im likely a bad mom, im gonna stop the apocalypse". but her method was odd, she just ran AWAY from the apocalypse tower for a distance of 2k, this in the end was a cheaper way to make us sid, or  waste our time, by acting dumb, but actually delaying the apocalypse by almost 5 minutes?

---

very risky rushing move, that was almost failing 4 times within its last 5 hours.
sure makes for emotional gameplay and good promo videos, if you fast forward the 30 minutes of traveling and growing old to age 13.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … _brave.jpg
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … ot_207.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ … flower.jpg

so heres a hint: if your want to expose a tower with more people getting born next to it, getting within 300 tiles of it is just suicidal for a fertile player, it gets spotted and dies quite fast, and 2  players with bows may not be enough to make a colony near an endtower.

i toyed around with building snowman as very short term walls around the property fenche, but it just wasnt worth the building time.
this shure makes greedy property fenches blockable till starvation though.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-25 11:18:19)

#7 2019-07-24 03:32:58

testo

Congrats everyone, maybe someday I can be a part of it.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2019-07-24 03:40:42

Bob 101

I kinda wish things would survive after an apocalypse.

#9 2019-07-25 16:00:55

DarkDrak

Bob 101 wrote:

I kinda wish things would survive after an apocalypse.

Yeah, i wish it was like culling: wiping out tecnology but leaving roads and buildings

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

Board footer