One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-18 19:45:48

Karrots

Sharing isn't Caring. Give me back my wool, Karen.

This is going to be rant-ish, warning you now.

I get sharing makes sense because we have to work together and friendship is magic and all that jazz...

BUT

There are limits to what I want to share. Village tools? Sure. Tool I made out of iron I found and forged in the forge I made at my outpost? Nope.

Clothes from some dead guy? First come first served. Dyed dress and crown I spent my whole life making? Not happening.

Some thread I happened to find? Go ahead. The rope I spent waaay too long scavenging for to make that damn bucket for the well you all keep failing to upgrade? No.

The point is you need to ask. Even if you don't, it should be obvious. If someone spent time making clothes, you're an a-hole for taking it. If someone spent time getting berries and carrots to feed a sheep, don't take it to toss it into your pie. And when they ask for their stuff back, don't take up that "sharing is caring and we're all working together" attitude. If it was for the village I would've left it in the wardrobe for the babies you moron. You're just greedy. You are driving me insane. Was going to play a few more rounds but not anymore. So sick of making something myself and getting it snatched up by some asshole. Even if I hide it. And I can't get a damn backpack to put it in because you keep stealing my thread, furs and snares.

You win, I'm done for now. See you next Saturday when Jason (hopefully) dishes out some new content to drag me back into the game.

#2 2019-07-18 20:24:48

MultiLife

Re: Sharing isn't Caring. Give me back my wool, Karen.

Worst is when someone
A: takes medical needle and thread and either uses them up or leaves them in some random place.
B: moves the pad bowl or takes all the pads in their apron.

This literally kills people. A med station can get its own. Leave the backup pads alone, it’s fine to have both.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-07-18 23:06:25)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-07-18 20:39:15

DarkDrak

That's so relatable.

So many times i spent a whole life getting nitre, paper and, if im lucky, even sulfur to get 8 bowls of sulfuric acid to use for a radio.... and the next life im there someone used up one or two of those for making pictures. So they gotta get replaced now. Goddemnit Karen, find your own nitre.

Or when you make a ridicolous amount of trips from the berry farm to the sheep pen as a kid to make some clothing and all the fleece keeps disappearing mistiriously.

Or when you drop your cart for literally ten seconds to drop a baby off at the fire and the cart is already gone. Extra frustration if you spent time making it from scratch.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#4 2019-07-18 20:45:12

arkajalka

People care about clothes and backbags too much, thats why i make dyed cloaks and not even black.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#5 2019-07-18 21:01:00

Lum

You'd think people like you would learn to better hide their stuff if it keeps getting stolen by noobs. I understand you're complaining and I agree with your points but what's the purpose of venting here, considering most noobs don't venture on the forums (which is also the reason WHY they remain grounded in their noobish ways in the first place)

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#6 2019-07-18 22:31:45

schmloo

Couple days ago, I fed a bunch of sheep to make an apron in a deep well -> Newcomen transitioning town. Small but not too small pen, no slot boxes. Had a backpack but used it for essentials, so only a slot for the biggest yarn ball.

Sheared em all one-by-one, put them to one side away from everyone. Several people immediately swoop in to take the balls of yarn for thread. Asked someone to “Feed your... own sheep... pls” when I returned to the pen to see her shearing and spindling the fleece I grew (pretty sure she saw me do it), and she replies, holding her kid, with “jesus”.

You see someone feeding sheep, don’t shear what they’ve fed. Ask them first. If you can’t wait for them to finish, tell them how many you’ve fed each time you feed one. At least that’s what I do.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#7 2019-07-18 23:09:55

MultiLife

schmloo wrote:

Couple days ago, I fed a bunch of sheep to make an apron in a deep well -> Newcomen transitioning town. Small but not too small pen, no slot boxes. Had a backpack but used it for essentials, so only a slot for the biggest yarn ball.

Sheared em all one-by-one, put them to one side away from everyone. Several people immediately swoop in to take the balls of yarn for thread. Asked someone to “Feed your... own sheep... pls” when I returned to the pen to see her shearing and spindling the fleece I grew (pretty sure she saw me do it), and she replies, holding her kid, with “jesus”.

You see someone feeding sheep, don’t shear what they’ve fed. Ask them first. If you can’t wait for them to finish, tell them how many you’ve fed each time you feed one. At least that’s what I do.

I’d probably at that point succumb to making a property fence and drag a lamb there to feed and shear.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-07-18 23:10:24)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-07-18 23:11:33

MultiLife

Also buff wool. Some stuff is stupid pricey with them. Bundle of balls of thread from one fleece pls.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-07-18 23:11:59)

#9 2019-07-19 06:19:40

testo

I learned it the hard way, save wool in your bp if you want it to be yours. You should always make a bp first if you are interested in gearing up btw.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#10 2019-07-19 07:01:34

Legs

This is why I consider a backpack to be the most necessary item. It's the only significant personal inventory item. You can't do anything meaningful without one. Even if you want to make your own backpack using a basket, someone will just steal your basket and mats. If you don't get a backpack as a baby you're either spending 20 minutes in the plains at least or your entire life in town as some kept wife. Maybe in an ok town there are elders you can mooch off of but if I spawn and there's 1 pack in town I'm so gone.

Loco Motion

#11 2019-07-19 15:29:50

Saolin

It can be annoying sometimes, for sure. Try to think ahead and limit your exposure.  For example one time, before I died of old age, I was passing a backpack w/knife to a trusted daughter, but some kid read the situation and ran up and snatched it. I was annoyed at the time but it could have been prevented if we took an extra second to go somewhere less crowded. If you have something important for a task, leave it where you can see it or put it where few will. Cut up your rabbits at the edge of town and bring the ball and thread with you before laying out the backpack. Feed all your sheep, then shear them all at once after gathering the supplies. I'm not saying this will prevent it 100%, because it won't, but at least putting those extra steps makes it so someone who just happened to be walking by with a ball and thread in their BP doesn't come across a ready to make backpack to give to their baby while you're out looking for a ball and thread yourself.

Also, realize that people can't read your mind. And have patience. It's not always obvious if someone is using something or if it's just sitting there waiting to be used.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-07-19 15:31:18)

#12 2019-07-19 16:00:42

happynova

Saolin wrote:

It's not always obvious if someone is using something or if it's just sitting there waiting to be used.

This bears repeating, I think.  It's often impossible to know whether someone just sat an object down a moment while in the middle of using it, or if it's been lying there uselessly for generations.  I know some days it seems like whichever conclusion I draw, it turns out to be wrong.  If I figure someone is using it and leave it alone, it'll still be there half my life later when, dammit, I could have been making use of it.  If I pick it up to do something with it, someone will come along two seconds later and be annoyed.

More than once, I've found myself thinking it'd be nice to have any way to know how long something has been sitting where it is.  Maybe Jason needs to invent dust. smile

#13 2019-07-19 20:48:21

Peaches

> Forum complains when Jason adds property fences
> Forum complains that people touch the things they're working hard on
> Forum wonders how to fix the issue, keeping people away from their hard work

Maybe a.... barrier of some sort might help you?

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#14 2019-07-19 20:58:05

schmloo

Peaches wrote:

Hm yeah, but the big ol’ problem that’s been raised many times is: how do you make sure the person you pass it down to isn’t going to use it as a trap/hoard?

One idea I can think of is using an adobe pillar failsafe in the corner. People must know how to remove it however. It also sort of removes the whole idea of enforcing personal property - if someone wanted to break into your property and take everything for the town because they’re commie scum, and don’t respect glorious capitalist ideals, they can.

#15 2019-07-19 21:13:50

ollj

a knife to the chest wins every argument in this game of null defense and only instakills.

#16 2019-07-19 21:15:24

ollj

MultiLife wrote:

Worst is when someone
A: takes medical needle and thread and either uses them up or leaves them in some random place.
B: moves the pad bowl or takes all the pads in their apron.
This literally kills people. A med station can get its own. Leave the backup pads alone, it’s fine to have both.

lack of pads dont kill people.
knifes dond kill people.
people dont kill people.
me luring ten bears at the same time kills people, all of them.

#17 2019-07-19 21:17:30

ollj

i once carries 4 empty plates in my backpack.
someone thought it were 4 knifes, and wanted me to give up some of my knifes and turn them into shears.
i dropped the backpack and we had a laugh.

if you want to look dangerous, always have an empty plate in your backpack.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 21:18:32)

#18 2019-07-22 00:12:02

Peaches

schmloo wrote:
Peaches wrote:

Hm yeah, but the big ol’ problem that’s been raised many times is: how do you make sure the person you pass it down to isn’t going to use it as a trap/hoard?

One idea I can think of is using an adobe pillar failsafe in the corner. People must know how to remove it however. It also sort of removes the whole idea of enforcing personal property - if someone wanted to break into your property and take everything for the town because they’re commie scum, and don’t respect glorious capitalist ideals, they can.

You don't need to pass it down if you just use it for your own personal projects, once you die those are done. If somebody intends to use fences as a trap, they'll build their own anyway.

#19 2019-07-22 00:33:23

schmloo

Peaches wrote:
schmloo wrote:
Peaches wrote:

You don't need to pass it down if you just use it for your own personal projects, once you die those are done. If somebody intends to use fences as a trap, they'll build their own anyway.

Okay say you don’t pass it down. When you die, the gate devolves back down into an unapproved gate fence. Just needs hammering with a stone. Some kid aspiring to rekindle the slave trade can come along and hammer that, then there you go. The triangular trade is back in business.

#20 2019-07-22 04:00:26

Peaches

schmloo wrote:

Okay say you don’t pass it down. When you die, the gate devolves back down into an unapproved gate fence. Just needs hammering with a stone. Some kid aspiring to rekindle the slave trade can come along and hammer that, then there you go. The triangular trade is back in business.

Let's say you do as you're suggesting and never build a fence at all and some kid comes along, aspiring to rekindle the slave trade.

He makes some fences, waits the few minutes it takes for them to be ready while he prepares whatever else he needs, and then does his dirty deeds anyway, regardless of whether he had to make his own fence or not.

Exactly as I said in the post you've quoted; people who want to use them for nefarious purposes will do it whether you build the fence first or not. The point still stands that if you make your own steel tools or farms that you dont want people messing with, fences are what you should use. That's why they exist.

That's like saying you should never make a knife or bow because, somewhere along the line, little Billy is going to come along with the intent to kill the entire family and he might use the tool you made. Or, perhaps you should never put doors on buildings, because what if he makes a lock and locks people in??? God forbid an in-game tool (fences are a tool in this regard) see any use, right?

#21 2019-07-22 12:07:03

schmloo

Peaches wrote:
schmloo wrote:

Let's say you do as you're suggesting and never build a fence at all and some kid comes along, aspiring to rekindle the slave trade.

He makes some fences, waits the few minutes it takes for them to be ready while he prepares whatever else he needs, and then does his dirty deeds anyway, regardless of whether he had to make his own fence or not.

Exactly as I said in the post you've quoted; people who want to use them for nefarious purposes will do it whether you build the fence first or not. The point still stands that if you make your own steel tools or farms that you dont want people messing with, fences are what you should use. That's why they exist.

That's like saying you should never make a knife or bow because, somewhere along the line, little Billy is going to come along with the intent to kill the entire family and he might use the tool you made. Or, perhaps you should never put doors on buildings, because what if he makes a lock and locks people in??? God forbid an in-game tool (fences are a tool in this regard) see any use, right?

If he has the ability to use that tool to block someone (or several people) from playing the game for an hour, fences should never get built to prevent it. That’s the safest option. Comparing knives and bows to property fences doesn’t make sense as knives and bows are used in tech progression and food production, where fences are tools for unquestioned greed. If they could be overridden somehow it might be okay, but if you see a fence being built it’s best to just remove the proposition all together or knock it down, at the risk of being stabbed.

They exist, but that doesn’t mean that they are useful or safe for towns. Once I actually made several people properties in one town, and low and behold, the town crashed into the dirt.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-07-22 12:07:32)

Board footer