One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-24 09:03:56

Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus' mod: item breakage

So, I made a suggestion post on the subreddit about a simple way to implement items breaking and why it should be considered. TL;DR having tools made of different metals is meaningless because all items are permanent, which is boring, and bored people turn to griefing.

Then I thought, well, if it's so simple, I should have a go at it myself. So after a few hours of tinkering (and refamiliarising myself with C++, god damn those pointers), I have finished my mod. At least, the code part of it anyway.

It's available here. I have updated all of the transitions in my own forked data files to utilise the new breakage chances, but by and large all they do is break completely. So this means that every so often, your sharp stone/hatchet/clay bowl will disappear when you use it, but there are some other transitions; your arrow might lose its arrowhead when you retrieve it from a beast, or your tongs might break down into kindling or what-have-you.

Long term I plan to introduce a whole lot of content that will utilise this new code, with things like copper and bronze, weapons and tools becoming blunt and needing to be sharpened and forging being more involved and interesting when working towards the highest tech (steel).

That's going to take me a hell of a long time, especially because I'm no artist, but maybe someone else out there can make use of this code change.

Note that if you run the pullAndBuildTestSystem.sh script, it will pull my forked OneLife source code and also my forked OneLifeData7 files with the updated transitions, which means that if you run the server and join it, items will break when you use them (occasionally).

There is no update required to the client, so if someone wanted to host this version of the server, anyone will be able to play on it without needing to download or install anything different.

I have no idea how Jason implemented the object picker/displayer in the editor, so I had to settle for the broken actor and broken target (the thing left in your hand and the thing left on the ground after a transition, respectively) fields just being input fields where you type in the ID number of the object. It's not hard to figure out what to put there using Kazetsukai's crafting guide.

The chance value is a probability, so from 0 (never break) to 1 (always break).

I haven't fully playtested the values I've put in the transitions yet, I've only tested that it works.

#2 2018-03-24 09:17:38

sammoh

Re: Uncle Gus' mod: item breakage

Hey, cool. I like this. Nice job.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#3 2018-03-24 10:00:29

NBonaparte_BG

as the images I sent a week before, metals u wants to add to the server has to be invented in real world in the ancient era (4000bc-500bc) to make it more sense(because OHOL's currently having a technology tree of mid ancient era)
If u want me to post an analyze of the currently unlocked technology comparing the real world ancient history, uncle, plz press 1.
If u want me to organize an entire recipe for u, uncle, plz press 2.
If u want me to criticize your ideas and give feed backs, uncle, plz press 3.
If u want me to really help u with your ideas by advertise it to other server owners, uncle, plz press 4.
If u want me to improve your main ideas, uncle, plz press 5.
If u want me to really help Sammoh, uncle, Plz press 6 and I rather to kill myself than helping him.
Plz press the number you want.

- By Naples Bunoparte "Historian Extrodinaire"

#4 2018-03-24 21:32:55

Uncle Gus

Well, I have my own plan for items and tech tree; maybe I'll write it up in Google docs or something, but for now I'm just pretty much gonna do my own thing. Cheers.

#5 2018-03-26 21:54:13

Uncle Gus

Update: I have added copper to the game. At this stage it is effectively a like-for-like replacement for steel, with the exception of the file. Copper files don't make sense since the metal is so soft, so instead there is a whetstone that spawns in the rocky biome and is used instead. I have removed iron ore. Copper ore (malachite) spawns in the rocky biome and is mined with a sharp stone or pickaxe.

I have yet to implement the item breakage data for the new items; I'm going to crunch some numbers and work out what I think makes sense for a first cut.

I don't have a server to host this on, so you will need to run it on your own server if you want to use it. I have also not play-tested anything beyond mining the malachite, so be wary!

#6 2018-03-26 22:57:29

ryanb
Website

Uncle Gus (or anyone else making a mod), you may want to also fork Kazetsukai's crafting guide on GitHub. You can change the process script to download your own Git repo and then it will generate a version of the site using that. Since it uses GitHub pages you can deploy your fork without worrying about hosting it.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#7 2018-03-27 00:11:25

Uncle Gus

Oh nice! I'll do that.

Another update: Breakage data is in for the transitions. So, in theory, copper is completely implemented in the game now, and replaces steel. Now I just need to test it...

#8 2018-03-28 09:42:55

Uncle Gus

I've just been playtesting my mod and... I think it's pretty cool. I found and fixed a few bugs, and from a fresh start and almost two lives I managed to craft the copper ax and test it out. The breakage system works great. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to test out the rest of the copper tools and also the tin smelting process.

I want to make a visual distinction between the sharp and blunt versions of the tools, but it works fine without it for now.

Everything is going smoothly so far. I might even host a server eventually.

#9 2018-03-28 16:14:54

Bobas

Very well, great job, thanks.
I'm interested in everything about items
Items on Odealo are cheap, you have a lot of them. Most likely they will be available tomorrow evening, so it's URGENT. That's how I bought rocket league items. Some of them were won from crates such as Tirumph Crate, Victory Crate, Velocity Crate, everything especially Triumph Crates you can buy on Odealo. Besides, on Odealo there is a great article about the contents of Triumph Crates.
Objects are objects that only look nice. Their practical application is negligible, with the exception of hats. Caps change the shape of our vehicle, thanks to which the ball is completely different.
Good advice is to set up your item so that you play well, all Rocket League items and Triumph Crate can be bought here: Buy Rocket League Items

Last edited by Bobas (2018-04-03 14:53:10)

#10 2018-03-28 18:54:12

Uncle Gus

I have forked this repo and once I figure out this problem with node-gyp, I hope to have a website showing the items in my mod.

#11 2018-03-29 03:57:07

Uncle Gus

ryanb wrote:

Uncle Gus (or anyone else making a mod), you may want to also fork Kazetsukai's crafting guide on GitHub. You can change the process script to download your own Git repo and then it will generate a version of the site using that. Since it uses GitHub pages you can deploy your fork without worrying about hosting it.

Okay, I got the node-gyp thing working, thanks for the help there!

Now I just need to figure out what you are talking about when you say "GitHub pages"...

#12 2018-03-29 04:00:43

Uncle Gus

Wow, that was actually really easy. Okay, here is the tech guide for my mod. Bear in mind that I haven't updated the appearance of any of the bronze items, so they look exactly like the copper ones, or the steel ones if there is no copper equivalent.

Behold! https://unclegus.github.io/onetech/

Board footer