One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-24 04:34:51

Kailied

How does new player spawning work?

I've heard a few different things, some say it's random, some say it's within a certain distance or other players on the server.. But what about if you're the only one on, spawned as eve, nobody else was on, how does the game randomly calculate where to put you?

#2 2018-03-24 08:49:59

Go! Bwah!

Re: How does new player spawning work?

I went through the code, and it looks like it goes like:

* if there are any Eves of fertile age who aren't marked as bad mothers (!), you are born to a randomly-chosen one, but more likely to one who is "fuller";
* otherwise, you are an Eve
*** if there are any babies, you are spawned next to a randomly-chosen one
*** otherwise, you are placed near a camp (see below)
***** if you have ever created a camp, you are placed near one (the last one you created, I believe?)
***** otherwise if anybody has created a camp, you are placed near it (but quite a bit less than if it were your camp)
***** otherwise you are placed near (0, 0) (but again quite a bit less than if it were your camp)

A "camp" appears to be marked when an Eve dies at sixty, and its location is determined by the object placements that Eve made throughout her life.  It looks like the "center" of those placements with some weighting happening.

There were some things I didn't chase down completely, but I think that's how it all works.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#3 2018-03-24 10:28:11

Kitaelia

Go! Bwah! wrote:

* if there are any Eves of fertile age who aren't marked as bad mothers (!), you are born to a randomly-chosen one, but more likely to one who is "fuller"

Wow this is truly fascinating! Has anyone found in the code what exactly designates an Eve as a bad mother? Like does she get a negative mark for every baby of hers that dies? And on the flip side.. If an Eve is feeding every single baby that pops out of her does that increase the chances of you spawning as one of her children? I am very curious about this!

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#4 2018-03-24 11:50:55

Kailied

But what about if you are completely alone is what I'm asking? Otherwise very interesting stuff, and no I didn't die at sixty as eve.

#5 2018-03-24 12:01:19

Laura

When i spawn alone in the nowhere i carry the Baby and run ...

When i spawn alone in an Abandon City with no Food and try to rebuild it, i let the Babys
die, until i have enough Food for two.
Then the kid can grow. If we two have enough a new Baby can come.
When this is bad, we should rethink about it.

#6 2018-03-24 20:26:09

Go! Bwah!

Kitaelia wrote:
Go! Bwah! wrote:

* if there are any Eves of fertile age who aren't marked as bad mothers (!), you are born to a randomly-chosen one, but more likely to one who is "fuller"

Wow this is truly fascinating! Has anyone found in the code what exactly designates an Eve as a bad mother? Like does she get a negative mark for every baby of hers that dies? And on the flip side.. If an Eve is feeding every single baby that pops out of her does that increase the chances of you spawning as one of her children? I am very curious about this!

Sure, I omitted that to stay brief, but the code counts how many children of yours are dead (really, your total children minus your alive children) and then compares it to a limit based on server population: 2 + numPlayers / 3 with a ceiling of 10.  So if there are 10 players and you've let six or more children die, you're a bad mother.

The comment regarding the population-based limit says:

// lower the bad mother limit in low-population situations                                                                                                                                       
    // so that babies aren't stuck with the same low-skill mother over and                                                                                                                           
    // over

I wouldn't say that you have an increased chance of popping out of a good mother exactly, since the limits are so high and I suspect the "bad mother" clause only gets triggered rarely except on very low-population servers.

It's probably more relevant how well-fed the Eves are.  If you don't want babies, stay hungry!

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-03-24 20:39:19)

#7 2018-03-24 20:29:55

Go! Bwah!

Kailied wrote:

But what about if you are completely alone is what I'm asking? Otherwise very interesting stuff, and no I didn't die at sixty as eve.

Then the last bit comes into play:

*** otherwise, you are placed near a camp (see below)
***** if you have ever created a camp, you are placed near one (the last one you created, I believe?)
***** otherwise if anybody has created a camp, you are placed near it (but quite a bit less than if it were your camp)
***** otherwise you are placed near (0, 0) (but again quite a bit less than if it were your camp)

If you're literally the first person to play on a server, or if nobody has lived to 60 on that server yet, you'll spawn near-ish (0, 0).  If people have lived to 60 (and the server is just quiet now), you'll spawn near-ish the most-recent camp.  If you have lived to 60, you'll spawn near your most-recent camp.

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-03-24 20:30:40)

#8 2018-03-24 23:16:51

Kailied

Ah, ok I didn't quite understand that, thanks! Again, very cool stuff, had no idea the game's spawning was so complex. :D

#9 2018-03-25 06:13:57

fragilityh14

I didn't think there was any reason it matters if you starve at 59.

So it prefers sending you back to the same camp, and that's why you end up with your mother as your baby? i thought it was supposed to be more random than that. i like the idea of being in a lot of new places, though the game doesn't have that many real cities yet and with the low server population there aren't that many places to end up.

And i ran forever as an experiment, like a whole lifetime, only to find the game is infinitely large. Anyway, I was told there's some sort of radius for feral eves based on the location of all of the manufactured items so you spawn in a general center area.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

Board footer