One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-23 20:29:59

draequine

Organization methods to Strive for. (Or just spam fences people)

Here's a few layouts I've seen that are just fantastic, and why they are amazing.

Carrot farms in rows of three flanked by a box and baskets.
Three fields fill five baskets, four of which go into the box for shipping to pie maker while one keeps starving runners from panic scrambling to get a carrot from a crowded area.

Fenced off seeding plots NEAR the farm.
Doesn't matter how many times you say it, someone is always going to take from the seeding plot if they are about to die or have clumsy button fingers and once your seeding plot is missing a carrot everyone just assumes it is fair game.

Fencing a juniper and maple tree.
I have spent decades trying to make a fire in a deforested town.  Only you can preserve forest fires.

Keeping a pie oven and a bowl/plate Making kiln semi close the Smith forge and charcoal making kiln in a spacious area.
Both sides need their space, they both need fire,  and four Adobe structures should discourage people from placing down more.

Keeping a fence between them!
It's not just a nice distinction between them, it also acts as a firebrand holder.

Fencing a single wheat field in the wheat farm.
Just have a single seeder guys.

Fence the domestic berry farm, keep a cistern and a basket of water pouchs and bowls.
Use nothing but corner posts except for one entrance  positioned torward wheat farm.

Build cistern and wells in pairs. Keep the well fenced off with a bucket between it and the cistern.
(This is one of the less complex well use methods I've come up with): The well fills the cistern full, if you empty the cistern, give back the last water and open the fence. Fill the bucket with that water and check if the well will take it. If it does, take it back and leave the full bucket in the spot and close the fence. A watered bucket means the well is filling back up. If the well doesn't take the water, you are free to refill!

Keeping sheep pen AWAY from carrot farm, with a two spaced airlock that has a box as one of the walls, and located near the compost farm.
Sheep eat carrot fields, airlock usually prevent this but they need a space to put down what you are bringing in and out so you can close the fences/doors, and if you use a box as a wall for the pen to get around this, it's only a matter of time before someone turns it into a sledge and frees the sheep.

Fence fencing the fenced fences!
Did I mention how much I love fences? They don't use clay or composting materials, tearing them down doesn't use them up, in a pinch you can take a long shaft from them, the only thing grieves can do with them is quickly deconstruct them which is far better than blocking everything with Adobe bases. Sure they can't offer the temperature effects that built walls do, but that system is still super wonky imo.

That's all the cool styles I've been thinking through, what about you guys?

Last edited by draequine (2018-03-25 22:07:13)

#2 2018-03-24 04:51:23

Gemedes

Re: Organization methods to Strive for. (Or just spam fences people)

TLDR: Use fences to keep noobs from doing noob things.

#3 2018-03-25 23:16:29

Kitaelia

Re: Organization methods to Strive for. (Or just spam fences people)

I like it! This has given me a lot of neat ideas, thank you. smile

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

Board footer