One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-13 23:31:20

arkajalka

Warmongering and drama...

I dont know what it is that people like in war and drama. Constantly people are making knifes and warswords, creating drama in the village.

No one really builds anything, or if you do it just get ruined by few morons that are pro war.

Whats the point in genes, when you can drop in a second from top 100 to bottom cause of warmongering siblings. There needs to be some way to differentiate from these people. Just like the donkey town thing. You should have somekinda karma score or something like that depending on how many kills you commited. The counter meter could be the babyes you give birth to/aunt birth.

I freaking miss the good old dayes of carrot farming. Nowdayes this game is just beating people with knifes and warswords and i highly dislike it.

First there were mosquitoes and now theres freaking warswords

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#2 2019-07-14 05:40:10

ollj

Re: Warmongering and drama...

when you die by weapon just write: "curse jason hoer"

i noticed more people hammer knifes into shears since the mermerscoreboard ranks you not by your skill but the lack of skill and greed of your traitor-siblings to not stab each other.

i disharmed the bell city by hiding roughly 20 of its arrows, and 10 of its bows, which should help keeping its multi-family peaces.
i oversupplied cities i do not like, by making 6-12 arrows for them.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-14 05:42:58)

#3 2019-07-14 11:28:56

MultiLife

Hahah, "war". It's just genocide for the luls. And yes, I've multiple times whined over the drama people think is great; it's crappy, not interesting at all. There is so much bad drama. Some think they are some amazing storytellers and roleplayers and then go around slashing people who did nothing and were going to do nothing.

Ahh, the feeling of 6v1 where the 1 is me, a teenager, snaring bunnies in savannah when a 6-man genocide party stops to kill me, and then goes to kill people from the village. For the luls. Nothing else.
Ahh, the moment when I come back to my lil' early generation village, seeing the unarmed last girl turned into a murder grave, with another next to her, presumably her fertile mother. Both killed, for the luls. Nothing else.

When everyone could curse everyone, people who are in these genocide parties couldn't just go and kill villages. They'd get cursed, killed, and sent to donkey town as a punishment. But nah, stream sniping, must solve THAT, when it wasn't even an issue people would complain about... And now we can't curse people from other families, and sword has a magical advantage against foregners, so duh, that's what griefers use now. Take the sword, kill anything that you can touch and no curses, perfect! Rinse and repeat.

I feel that there is a bunch of people grinding the genocide fest nowadays, the same people get born, grab a sword and try to recruit others to go with them. Some do, there are always people who are bored and people who are likeminded with those kinds of "genocide mongers".

And then we, the people who do not enjoy this "drama", see our families die for the luls of a few randoms, can't punish them with donkey town, are stuck building things only to see them become the center of griefing, and see our relatives die to genocides.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2019-07-14 12:44:07

arkajalka

Was thinking of ways how to counter this by hard labour.

Making shears and sounds good. Also thought about forging every iron ingot piece laying around as your everyday tools, hoes, shovels, chisels, froes, you name it. It creates a problem tho, you dont have the ingots for the pump pieces. I havent yet bothered to myself to build one, so what im thinking is.... What basic parts do you need for pump the most. Its the piston blanks right? (and pipes ofc, but wont be needing to make those as you get em from warswords) Maybe some pump god could point me out what to make of the pipes. Lathe and bore them?

Getting rid of bows needs more convoluted plan.

First you need to slay every goose living in ponds near your city to starwe the city out of arrow making materials. You can't get rid of all the flints, skewers or the snares as they are needed also in other activities in town, but feathers serve no other purpose than arrow making.

After that you get the bow and all the arrows and start running around in the wild shooting big game, aka bisons. Just put a one arrow in it so the arrow sticks. Bears would be option too, but it creates just another problem.

Also spam nursery tools to counter the rando kill.

If we have even few capable peacelovers doing this, you can pretty much starve the game out of war materials XD

Well this is what i made up so far. Gimme your thoughts and ideas pls. Im on a mission to get rid of WAR!

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-14 12:50:48)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#5 2019-07-14 13:34:21

breezeknight

let me answer to those complaints with the words of the holy Jason Rohrer :

jasonrohrer wrote:

On Sunday, a very busy day, there were 6171 deaths, and only 211 murders.  97% of the deaths in the game were peaceful.

689 people lived to old age on Sunday.

Yes, 3x more people lived to old age (which is relatively rare, only 11%) compared to the number of people who were murdered.

The claim that the game is absolutely overrun by murder and war is false.

(And yes, that video is great....)

....as ONE facet of the game.

That should happen sometimes.  It should be one of the stories that is possible.

This game is meant to be an "infinite unique situation generator."  Not all those situations should be peaceful.  3% non-peaceful seems like an okay amount to me.

The fact that such invasions are totally preventable is also really important and ignored by everyone who complains about this.

so let me also paraphrase for you :

your perception in the game DOES NOT COUNT

your view of the gameplay is IRRELEVANT

statistically speaking you as a single player ARE NOTHING,
even if over the course of months dozens of players wrote as you write, you still DO NOT COUNT
your view of the gameplay is not aligned with the view of Jason Rohrer & ONLY THAT VIEW counts, infinitely

- - -

#6 2019-07-14 14:42:29

MultiLife

breezeknight wrote:

let me answer to those complaints with the words of the holy Jason Rohrer :

jasonrohrer wrote:

On Sunday, a very busy day, there were 6171 deaths, and only 211 murders.  97% of the deaths in the game were peaceful.

689 people lived to old age on Sunday.

Yes, 3x more people lived to old age (which is relatively rare, only 11%) compared to the number of people who were murdered.

The claim that the game is absolutely overrun by murder and war is false.

(And yes, that video is great....)

....as ONE facet of the game.

That should happen sometimes.  It should be one of the stories that is possible.

This game is meant to be an "infinite unique situation generator."  Not all those situations should be peaceful.  3% non-peaceful seems like an okay amount to me.

The fact that such invasions are totally preventable is also really important and ignored by everyone who complains about this.

so let me also paraphrase for you :

your perception in the game DOES NOT COUNT

your view of the gameplay is IRRELEVANT

statistically speaking you as a single player ARE NOTHING,
even if over the course of months dozens of players wrote as you write, you still DO NOT COUNT
your view of the gameplay is not aligned with the view of Jason Rohrer & ONLY THAT VIEW counts, infinitely

- - -

Let us dreaaaaammm!
It was really interesting when someone took that and calculated and compared how much that amount of violence fares in our world, and it ended up being multiple times worse than the deadliest country in the world. Sadly my brains don't remember the numbers but it was really interesting.
And I must repeat myself, I'm personally fine with occasional murder and killing, but I'm not fine with loopholes that people abuse. That's my only issue, currently. Swords having magical power against foreigners, they are jugglable so you can drop it and grab it again, being used as pointless genocide tools because they are ez to use. Plus curses not affecting foreigners, and twins+ having no weakness. Loopholes, I say! And no way to disarm people but by killing.
I want to believe, though. I want to believe Jason will ultimately find a way to fix these. It's just slow because he is alone and he is a thinker, and wants to do and think other things than what we whine about.
It's just sad that people seem to take my points as attacks or some kind of minmax pacifist ramblings, although it's not like that. I just find glaring loopholes and want to fix them, like a crooked frame on a wall. It was so good not long ago, so good! Occasional stabbings and deaths, but it was manageable, punishable.

arkajalka wrote:

Was thinking of ways how to counter this by hard labour.

Making shears and sounds good. Also thought about forging every iron ingot piece laying around as your everyday tools, hoes, shovels, chisels, froes, you name it. It creates a problem tho, you dont have the ingots for the pump pieces. I havent yet bothered to myself to build one, so what im thinking is.... What basic parts do you need for pump the most. Its the piston blanks right? (and pipes ofc, but wont be needing to make those as you get em from warswords) Maybe some pump god could point me out what to make of the pipes. Lathe and bore them?

Getting rid of bows needs more convoluted plan.

First you need to slay every goose living in ponds near your city to starwe the city out of arrow making materials. You can't get rid of all the flints, skewers or the snares as they are needed also in other activities in town, but feathers serve no other purpose than arrow making.

After that you get the bow and all the arrows and start running around in the wild shooting big game, aka bisons. Just put a one arrow in it so the arrow sticks. Bears would be option too, but it creates just another problem.

Also spam nursery tools to counter the rando kill.

If we have even few capable peacelovers doing this, you can pretty much starve the game out of war materials XD

Well this is what i made up so far. Gimme your thoughts and ideas pls. Im on a mission to get rid of WAR!

Well, you need processed iron to make newcomen pumps, and you want fractional distiller too. You want a lot of tanks for the oil rigs so you can farm kerosene. One large city could have multiple oil rigs, multiple newcomen pumps in further springs and endless tanks for all the kerosene. Tools are great but take more space than stacks of steel. I don't know, I don't think we can starve a place from resources used for weapons. Life finds a way, players find a way. I just want to be able to punish people who abuse loopholes and make playing miserable to others. It was great before cursing got nerfed to "family-only" and war swords were added. Cursing kept griefers in check (power to the majority) and when we had weapons that can hurt anyone equally we had no loophole that would enable pointless genocides.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2019-07-14 14:55:30

arkajalka

Well the state that this game is in at the moment in my eyes is something that i dont want to be part of. Either we find a solution or ill just quit cause its so far from what it used to be. I believe im not the only one. Im still trying tho. Had one run today. A kiddo released 7 bears on the village as i was 60...

Been in few games that died out, and usually the mass mobs of murderers are the mark of the beast--> Old legends tire out of working hard for something that is lost so easy --->no one takes care of the cities-->murder mobs get bored--> game dies.

GIVE US A WAY to differentiate from the bad genes! (and also a way to deal with mosquitoes)

Board footer