One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-10 18:20:03

Anandamide

Newcomen pump broken?

So iv'e been away for a few months, was doing an eve chain to play with the new updates and I had two charcoal pumps get exhausted on the first go around, it then makes me disassemble them and wont let me upgrade it to the kerosene pump. Am I just unlucky or am I doing something wrong?

#2 2019-07-10 18:34:32

ollj

Re: Newcomen pump broken?

theres a wide variety of bug cases, pups with infinte wetnees that never need fuel have existed.
the game uses a lot of pink noise, with "20% chance to continue for free, 80% chance to halt, each time", which has an infinitessimal small chance to run forever for free.
the problem with pink noise is, that it can be semi-infinite loops, that may tend to gridlock/jam/stackheap, and any simple rng can have its issues of predictability or being in a dead null-state, and jason keeps things simple, for being alone, anbd for his fast custom network/database protocol.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-10 18:36:42)

#3 2019-07-10 19:08:03

sigmen4020

You are just unlucky. There's a 5 % risk that the newcomen pump will break after you take out the last bucket of water. This includes newcomen pumps too. The only thing you can do at this point is get a diesel pump or make wells out of other spring sites nearby.

You can use a kerosene pump to get more out of the limited newcomen uses but that's pretty much it.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-07-10 19:09:32)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-07-10 19:29:44

Tarr
Banned

Kerosene pump is basically dead content at this point because of how water works.

Basically you get to the basic newcomen pump, proceed to rush out the diesel pump and then live with that. If your newcomen fails before diesel you just go to the next closest spring or die off if people are lazy. Making a kerosene newcomen is just a waste of time and should instead be used on making the diesel pump or getting the iron for it.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-07-10 19:51:58

sigmen4020

Tarr wrote:

Kerosene pump is basically dead content at this point because of how water works.

Basically you get to the basic newcomen pump, proceed to rush out the diesel pump and then live with that. If your newcomen fails before diesel you just go to the next closest spring or die off if people are lazy. Making a kerosene newcomen is just a waste of time and should instead be used on making the diesel pump or getting the iron for it.

I still think that the kerosene pump has its limited uses. For example if a town has finished the oil grind and doesn't have diesel yet. As long as a town already has oil the kerosene is fairly cheap. It only costs one steel bar and one rope (though it does require two runs of the multitool so I guess you can add 2 buckets of water and 3 baskets of charcoal as well). It is way better than the charcoal pump in terms of numbers.

One can of kerosene requires 2 baskets of charcoal, and a kerosene can has 6 charges.

A kerosene pump effectively gives 4 buckets every time (I'm deliberately not counting the last bucket since you should always put that back in the pump). So in total you get 4*6=24 buckets of water worth two baskets of charcoal. 12 buckets worth for one basket of charcoal.

Comparing that directly to a charcoal pump you get two buckets of water for one basket of charcoal. So you get 6 times more water by using the kerosene pump compared to the charcoal pump.

All I'm saying is that it has its uses (albeit limited ones). I have used a kerosene very effectively on the big server in the past filling something like 5 cisterns without it breaking.

I wouldn't necessarily classify it as dead content. That category is where stuff like the radio, railways, dogs and pigs belong.

#6 2019-07-10 19:57:19

Tarr
Banned

sigmen4020 wrote:

I still think that the kerosene pump has its limited uses. For example if a town has finished the oil grind and doesn't have diesel yet. As long as a town already has oil the kerosene is fairly cheap. It only costs one steel bar and one rope (though it does require two runs of the multitool so I guess you can add 2 buckets of water and 3 baskets of charcoal as well). It is way better than the charcoal pump in terms of numbers.

One can of kerosene requires 2 baskets of charcoal, and a kerosene can has 6 charges.

A kerosene pump effectively gives 4 buckets every time (I'm deliberately not counting the last bucket since you should always put that back in the pump). So in total you get 4*6=24 buckets of water worth two baskets of charcoal. 12 buckets worth for one basket of charcoal.

Comparing that directly to a charcoal pump you get two buckets of water for one basket of charcoal. So you get 6 times more water by using the kerosene pump compared to the charcoal pump.

All I'm saying is that it has its uses (albeit limited ones). I have used a kerosene very effectively on the big server in the past filling something like 5 cisterns without it breaking.

I wouldn't necessarily classify it as dead content. That category is where stuff like the radio, railways, dogs and pigs belong.

My line of thinking is by the time you have oil done you should pretty much be ready to slap the diesel engine into whatever well you've got at the time. While sure you get better mileage from the kerosene upgrade you both have no idea how much longer until RNG claims the well + the diesel engine is incredibly simple to put together at this point with most of the time probably being spent on converting the bars/prepping the attachments in the first place. The rubber can technically be a hangup as that'll divert your attention but most the time I just ask someone to do that while I rush out the engine bits.

So you're not wrong that it's still useful but I standby the idea that you should basically never make one at this point. It's too easy to skip from newcomen pump to diesel engine without needing to stop at the kerosene newcomen step. If you're at the point that you need to do newcomen it's a rough patch.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-07-10 21:26:34

sigmen4020

I agree that it only has its very niche uses. Most of the time I've used it is to try and break the newcomen faster (when we already have a diesel engine ready once it breaks). You gotta admit that it is faster to use kerosene pump since you can run it repeatedly without the need of endless baskets of charcoal. But I suppose you could just use a well outside the main city. The only problem I have with that though is that it requires kind of a restructering of the town, since other spring sites aren't ussually located conviniently near the farms (usually requires road to be time effective).

I still wish that it would be more of a natural middle step in the water tech tree as a opposed to a completely optional one, which it is right now.

Also it's not like it's that expensive once you have oil as I mentioned before.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-07-10 21:29:41)

Board footer