One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-08 06:35:02

WheresMyOh

Murdering someone for breaking your yum chain is super not ok

(Looking at you, Jose Thunder!)

I get it. Force feeding is annoying and inconvenient. However, there are WAY more innocent reasons why its done than malicious ones. If someone has been standing still for a while and may die of AFK hunger, a misclick, etc...sometimes its just an honest mistake that you were fed a berry while standing in the middle of a berry field, ya know? Going all knife crazy on someone for that is just a real a-hole move. 

This game is supposed to be about community, family, and societal development - not freaking min/maxing your yum stat. Geez people.

#2 2019-07-08 06:44:55

Thaulos

Re: Murdering someone for breaking your yum chain is super not ok

If it happens to me and I know you did it maliciously you will either get a curse or a stab, or both.

#3 2019-07-08 06:57:53

AdelaSkarupa

I say if you made he chain once, you can do it again. Don't be petty.

#4 2019-07-08 08:09:01

Tarr
Banned

AdelaSkarupa wrote:

I say if you made he chain once, you can do it again. Don't be petty.

People who actually yum do it pretty seriously. It would be the same thing as stealing resources or hiding something you've been working on for a chunk of your life. While accidental feedings are a thing if you're walking around with food in your hand you should almost never actively feed other players unless they've got yellow fever or something. Most players aren't going to be running in town starving to death and if they are they're either new (there's plenty of red flags for this which is someone you might want to feed) or they're sick and need help.

Just don't feed people unless you're teaching them or they're shouting F or they're a little baby. There's no reason to do it and more than likely you're going to eventually annoy someone who has spent time yumming.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-07-08 08:28:09

RodneyC86

People need to be taught to not run around with food in hand. I never accidentally fed anyone because I don't run around with food in hand

#6 2019-07-08 09:33:01

testo

It´s not that hard not to feed others. Don´t feed if not asked, is that simple. Also, did you say the magic words? If it was an honest mistake you apologized and didn´t start an argument did you?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#7 2019-07-08 10:07:05

HumboldtStoneHoe

People who yum are actually junkies.

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#8 2019-07-08 10:36:23

Thaulos

Still hoping Jason revisits the non breakable yum chain suggestion.

#9 2019-07-08 12:59:53

AdelaSkarupa

Thaulos wrote:

I do yum chain. I don't think it should be unbreakable. If it were, there would be no point to it. You could just eat and eat until you happen to get a bonus.

I guess I'm just too forgiving. If someone wrongs me IRL, I forgive quickly. Must be why I don't have an issue with force feeding.

#10 2019-07-08 13:42:25

Carrot-Seedling

Why does anyone want to spend forever yumming? I bought this game to have fun, and AFAIK you guys did too. Passive yumming doesn't require kills because nobody cares. The only case a broken yum chain is bad is the last fertile female, and nobody would stab anyway because babies hate murder graves.
Stabbing people over little things is annoying. Heck, wasting my ingredients for obscure one pip foods is annoying. Don't do either please.

Thaulos wrote:

Yes, that was a good idea. Better for everyone. If someone tells me "oh but it's a surveevul gam' then go look at the whole of the late game.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#11 2019-07-08 15:09:40

MistressZues

Carrot-Seedling wrote:

Why does anyone want to spend forever yumming? .

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4918220 https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7196

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#12 2019-07-08 16:08:53

Peaches

I enjoy yum chaining, it adds something to work towards on top of all my goals. Instead of mindlessly eating the same pie, I have to stop and think about what I need to eat next. The extra babies I get out of it are especially nice! I try to bring different food types towards nursery areas to help out expectant mothers when I can.

And it helps when I need to explore for resources in tiny settlements, I've only been bitten by mosqitoes a handful of times (I'm thinking single digits) since properly learning how to avoid them and each time was far from home. My yum chain helped me live through it.

But I don't have an issue with the occasional forced feeding. It happens, I know I've mistakenly fed people once or twice while making pies or standing in crowded spots while eating. Lately, sure, forced feedings have gotten to a point where it's been once per game, but it's nothing to get furious over.

Restarting my yum is annoying, yes, but I don't get so mad as to think "they broke my yum chain, they don't get to play the game here anymore!!!!! REEEE-" It's just as easy to walk up to the person and be all "Hey! fyi It's super rude to feed people, you could break a yum chain they worked hard on and some people can get violent about it"

If you stab someone over a feeding, they're going to think "wow what a griefer" as they die regardless of what you say, because they're probably new. You can say "you fed me," "dont feed me," or "you broke yum," but that's not going to mean anything to the truly new. All they know is that they were murdered over a berry. They'll do it again next life because they think they're being nice, or because they dont realize that clicking people with food is feeding.

If you calmly explain yourself, they might actually learn from the experience and you won't have to deal with it again from them if they didn't know before. Their reaction can be telling; understanding for the truly new (or clever) or something like "lol" or "whatever" from the truly malicious. If they do it again at that point, after the warning, then go ahead with the stabbing.

Last edited by Peaches (2019-07-08 16:15:02)

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#13 2019-07-08 18:18:39

ollj

you looked at my cart, thats it, ten bears for you !

#14 2019-07-08 20:33:35

AdelaSkarupa

Peaches wrote:

I enjoy yum chaining, it adds something to work towards on top of all my goals. Instead of mindlessly eating the same pie, I have to stop and think about what I need to eat next. The extra babies I get out of it are especially nice! I try to bring different food types towards nursery areas to help out expectant mothers when I can.

And it helps when I need to explore for resources in tiny settlements, I've only been bitten by mosqitoes a handful of times (I'm thinking single digits) since properly learning how to avoid them and each time was far from home. My yum chain helped me live through it.

But I don't have an issue with the occasional forced feeding. It happens, I know I've mistakenly fed people once or twice while making pies or standing in crowded spots while eating. Lately, sure, forced feedings have gotten to a point where it's been once per game, but it's nothing to get furious over.

Restarting my yum is annoying, yes, but I don't get so mad as to think "they broke my yum chain, they don't get to play the game here anymore!!!!! REEEE-" It's just as easy to walk up to the person and be all "Hey! fyi It's super rude to feed people, you could break a yum chain they worked hard on and some people can get violent about it"

If you stab someone over a feeding, they're going to think "wow what a griefer" as they die regardless of what you say, because they're probably new. You can say "you fed me," "dont feed me," or "you broke yum," but that's not going to mean anything to the truly new. All they know is that they were murdered over a berry. They'll do it again next life because they think they're being nice, or because they dont realize that clicking people with food is feeding.

If you calmly explain yourself, they might actually learn from the experience and you won't have to deal with it again from them if they didn't know before. Their reaction can be telling; understanding for the truly new (or clever) or something like "lol" or "whatever" from the truly malicious. If they do it again at that point, after the warning, then go ahead with the stabbing.

I second all of this. Carrot-Seedling called it passive yumming and that's what I do. If there are yums available, I will take them. But if I have to get a bow, run into the wilderness, shoot a goose, pluck it, bake it, cut it, plate it, eat it... I'm not doing that. Except maybe in certain occasions where this wouldn't be so time consuming or I'm not busy. And if I'm one of the last females, yumming becomes a high priority. But in general, it's nothing to kill over.

I love that you suggested explaining calmly so they will learn. In one town recently, we needed a hoe to replant the wheat farm. They said "There's a stolen one in property fence north!" While they were trying to figure out what to do, I went to the property fence people and said "Excuse me. May I please borrow your hoe? I will bring it back." And what do you know,  they let me borrow it. And when it broke while I was finishing the massive wheat farm,  I made another and returned it.

Try manners first. Believe it or not, it usually works.

#15 2019-07-09 06:02:13

FulmenTheFinn

People on these forums like sharing their in-game stories, so here's mine related to this topic:

Not long ago, a bit after the swords update, I was quadding and one of us in the squad was feeling belligerent, wanting to invade a foreign town. Sure enough, we soon came across some foreigners. It was just a colony, but it was set up very close to our town. I felt pity on them and decided we should not raid anyone that life. But then they started feeding me berries, crashing my 30-40 minutes of yum chaining... That day every man, woman and child of that colony and then their home town was put to the sword, snuffing out their entire lineage, all because one or two of them thought force-feeding berries to a foreigner was a brilliant gesture of goodwill.

I still felt sorry for them, as we had just lived a full 60 minutes as quad mothers in their home town the previous life; we were probably slaughtering our great-grandkids. But oh well, such is life in the wasteland.

I guess the lesson to be learned here is don't force-feed people, you'll never know what might happen.

What comes to killing people in your own family for force-feeding, that alone as a reason is a bit extreme, and one should assess their behaviour and productivity as a whole before jumping to drastic conclusions.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#16 2019-07-10 06:37:11

Villas

Totally agree.
Today a woman shoot my daughter because she accidentally force feed her stew.
At least the woman got 5 curses, I hope she got sent to donkey town.
A lot of players are new-ish, they know how to play, but they don’t know a lot. Most of them don’t yum, they accidentally (or intentionally) feed someone, but they don’t know it is bad (because generally it is not, ‘cuz most of players don’t yum).

If you teach them, they will learn.
But if you threaten them, they might get pissed off and do it on purpose again and I don’t think it is a reason to kill. A reason to curse, may be. Don’t be rude in-game, teach them and they will stop I bet.

I very often see people in-game saying “If you do it again, I kill you”. They’re not teaching, they are just trying people’s patience, starting a silly fight.

When someone kills because of a chain-breaker, I insta curse/kill them. Unless the chain-breaker is a griefer (doing something bad, besides force feeding someone who threatened them).

#17 2019-07-10 16:16:02

ollj

some people just want to murder every fertile and any lie or false-flag excuse is just fine for that.

#18 2019-07-11 19:38:31

The_Anabaptist

Genetics encourages short term thinking when feeding others.

(Playing devil's advocate here) If you are in my lineage, why would I care about your yum chain?  All I care is that you don't hit 0 food bars and dying young, thus impacting my genetics score negatively.  Therefore, why shouldn't I feed you now and ensure that you are at max pips, rather than risk your starvation?

If you seriously want to yum chain, you better enjoy life away from social people and plentiful food sources.

The_Anabaptist

Board footer