One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-07 01:25:28

schmloo

Losing faith

When I first bought the game several months back, I loved the concept. The promise of a continually-advancing civilisation with constant updates was the main draw-in for me. I don’t remember being taught much in-game, but it was a while ago so maybe my memory is just foggy. I do remember sitting in the final tutorial area determined to master the basics of smithing and chop/uproot the yew tree. A lot of the little free time that I had alongside my college course was put into the game simply because I enjoyed the difficulty of it, and the daunting new things that awaited me in the tech tree.

This isn’t a gripe about the lack of content, as I understand that games in development have their rough patches, and it’s down to a supportive community to help get through it. This is a gripe about what the game’s community itself has become and the causes of that, and why I no longer find enjoyment in playing.

I got back into it at around the temperature update, maybe a few weeks before, I’m not too sure. From then on it was actually enjoyable seeing how the game progressed and the transition from desert-border cities to swamp and grassland cities. Then warswords and the infamous Eve-spawning updates happened and everything took a drastic turn.

After the spawning algorithms were patched, the Eve griefing was fixed, but swords remained deadly and near un-counterable. I’ve observed that when a long-lasting family line ends, it’s usually because a single or a pair of twins/triplets/quadruplets decide that it would be fun to just bring down generations of hard work, because they can. And in all honesty, I don’t blame them because it’s so easy to do.

But when everyone is focused on killing and stabbing and reeee join the mob mentality, everyone else is shanking so why not me, it just pushes me further and further away from enjoying the game. During my lives in the most recent big cities I’ve enjoyed experimental community projects, like making jobs boards and schools (second was with a twin, didn’t complete it but it was still hella fun, thanks @Oreo in the discord!), and I wanted to eventually get round to making a yum station with signs for storing all different foods.

However, because the game is taking a direction towards condoning player conflict and simple, mindless violence, instead of encouraging actual cooperation, I think I’m gonna leave this game for a bit. Maybe I’ll check back in a couple of months or so, who knows.

I’ll miss my noses I guess.

EDIT: I do realise that there are some gems of people in the community and you make the game a much better place. However unfortunately, the couple of intense-smelling shits drowns out the decent flowers.

EDIT 2: I actually forgot you could play alone - I’ll probably chill on the low population servers instead.

EDIT 3: Yeah no, I’m done for now. Won’t specify why.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-07-08 02:56:08)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2019-07-07 06:57:59

testo

Re: Losing faith

schmloo wrote:

When I first bought the game several months back, I loved the concept. The promise of a continually-advancing civilisation with constant updates was the main draw-in for me. I don’t remember being taught much in-game, but it was a while ago so maybe my memory is just foggy. I do remember sitting in the final tutorial area determined to master the basics of smithing and chop/uproot the yew tree. A lot of the little free time that I had alongside my college course was put into the game simply because I enjoyed the difficulty of it, and the daunting new things that awaited me in the tech tree.

This isn’t a gripe about the lack of content, as I understand that games in development have their rough patches, and it’s down to a supportive community to help get through it. This is a gripe about what the game’s community itself has become and the causes of that, and why I no longer find enjoyment in playing.

I got back into it at around the temperature update, maybe a few weeks before, I’m not too sure. From then on it was actually enjoyable seeing how the game progressed and the transition from desert-border cities to swamp and grassland cities. Then warswords and the infamous Eve-spawning updates happened and everything took a drastic turn.

After the spawning algorithms were patched, the Eve griefing was fixed, but swords remained deadly and near un-counterable. I’ve observed that when a long-lasting family line ends, it’s usually because a single or a pair of twins/triplets/quadruplets decide that it would be fun to just bring down generations of hard work, because they can. And in all honesty, I don’t blame them because it’s so easy to do.

But when everyone is focused on killing and stabbing and reeee join the mob mentality, everyone else is shanking so why not me, it just pushes me further and further away from enjoying the game. During my lives in the most recent big cities I’ve enjoyed experimental community projects, like making jobs boards and schools (second was with a twin, didn’t complete it but it was still hella fun, thanks @Oreo in the discord!), and I wanted to eventually get round to making a yum station with signs for storing all different foods.

However, because the game is taking a direction towards condoning player conflict and simple, mindless violence, instead of encouraging actual cooperation, I think I’m gonna leave this game for a bit. Maybe I’ll check back in a couple of months or so, who knows.

I’ll miss my noses I guess.

EDIT: I do realise that there are some gems of people in the community and you make the game a much better place. However unfortunately, the couple of intense-smelling shits drowns out the decent flowers.

I agree with you and I support your message. I barely played a few hours this week.

The thing is: The developer finds nice to have griefers and killers around. He finds cool to have items like the sword and mechanics that promote war like language and family curse system. I personally dislike how griefers have been addressed as a common role in the game instead of a pathology.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-07-07 08:03:41

WalrusesConquer

Griefers are not a separate entity, they are players. When everything is done someone will always do bad things to make themselves have an enjoyable experience, someone will always fill that role.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#4 2019-07-07 08:12:56

MultiLife

As I once said; let wolves play with sheep and see how long it takes until the sheep are gone. If left unchecked, the game dies as the peaceful majority leaves. Newbies are met with douches and turned away instantly. There is no point playing a game that leaves you frustrated and sad; you should feel happy or fulfilled after a game. It’s entertainment after all.
When fulfillment leans on a very shaky success condition, that is easy to thwart completely by anyone, it’s a sign of a problem.

Family cursing annoys me so much. Can’t we just report players like in other games? Stream sniping was never complained about, right? It was such a hasty implementation.
I usually play few lives per week, sometimes dropping out for weeks. I definitely don’t play after updates because I know there will be issues. Swords and Eve spawns sounded like hell... I still dislike war swords, because they are just magic genocide swords, a weapon tweaked to be special to try and enforce conflict between families; in the process becoming griefers’ favorite tool, paired with blooming racism. Which in turn breaks my immersion, makes me disappointed by this behavior and then sours my gameplay.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-07-07 08:14:00)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#5 2019-07-07 09:53:08

HumboldtStoneHoe

your fault for using skewers instead, nerd

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#6 2019-07-07 11:41:49

Ilka

I wonder when it will get to Jadson that he has a problem?
From what I see, the number of players has decreased by about 1/4. Now griefers rule the game and are completely unpunished. In the continuous killings and chaos, n are added new players who can not do anything. Old players go away or play less and less.
Because the war is cool? Interesting for whom?
Not everything can be crammed into the game. Currently, war is a destructive and unpunished murdering of players by griefers.
Private property? Why do I need two hats if I can only one wear?
Players rejected private property. Unfortunately, they did not handle with swords.
Some things will not work. And some can kill the whole game. I wonder if Jason will have the courage to ask players if they want swords of war?

#7 2019-07-07 12:06:11

HumboldtStoneHoe

You know I was browsing the subreddit and one of the posts was about putting baby in carts and I remember it was decently written, underneath I saw Jason had typed something and it was something like this:
"Intentional game design, you're supposed to decide between the baby or the cart wink" not his exact wording but something like that, and that's when I lost a ton of faith in the game and it stuck with me. He values a real maker aesthetic yet wants to make our lives harder, seriously you can just put a baby in a cart in real life.

yep it's stone hoe time

#8 2019-07-07 12:23:00

HumboldtStoneHoe

yep it's stone hoe time

#9 2019-07-07 12:46:12

Grim_Arbiter

I gotta disagree about a couple things here.

While killing has gone up and certain mindsets have changed, the number one killer of family lines has and always will be a lack of females.

You started playing after we were all on one server, and I promise that was one of the most game changing updates we ever had and the game changed dramatically overnight.

You mentioned the temperature update, and I was actually contemplating quitting over that update because how much changed.

My point with both of those changes is that the game shifts drastically with things, and at first they tend to not make sense or be lost in meaning. I was thinking about quitting over the temperature update because I saw it as punishing and didn't understand the push toward clothing, and then a week later he released the fancy clothing and everything seemed to fall into place. Now dyeing and making clothing is one of my favorite things in this game and idk how I ever played without it before.

So while the the war sword update and language barrier might seem like punishment or not make sense, I still hold optimism because of how my mind has been swayed before.

It is a issue with developing a community game with a set goal in mind, but working on it incrementally. When notch was still in control of minecraft is a good example. It wasn't a game changer every update, but when it happened there were fights about the direction the game was taking with the updates. Unfortunately the actual vision of that game will be forever unknown because of being sold off.

While Jason may be dead set or stubborn on things, he's never going to bend backwards for someone, or sell out. That is a hard thing to find in any artistic medium these days.

I personally will keep playing even though there are rough patches. I will keep playing regardless of the playerbase and who is or isn't playing.

TLDR

Some of us like this ride, both the ups and downs, and are gonna stay on until the end.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2019-07-07 14:51:16

AdelaSkarupa

I was in the middle of a desert looking for Alum on my horse with cart when a baby pooped up. I didn't just lose a cart, I lost a horse too. I don't care if we have to do some complicated craft to make a car seat, I want babies in carts. And I want multiple passengers in cars. They fit four items. What if a person counted instead of an item? That would make cars less pointless.

As for swords, I think of swords were removed, people would just raid with knives. Especially now that they could load up a couple of free-handed medics. Sometimes the world isn't the problem, it's the people.

And I'm with Grim. I'm sticking around.

#11 2019-07-07 15:24:00

RedComb

Ilka wrote:

I wonder if Jason will have the courage to ask players if they want swords of war?

Yeah, if only he had some way to do this...!

Like a polling feature that he could use for something like this instead of making a one off poll to prove naysayers wrong about a single update....

And if only he wrote the polls correctly and measured the preference of players on a 1-5 scale and not by very specific responses that fit his narrative....

And if only he took the results for what they were, the opinions of those who happened to be polled during a specific time frame and not a perfect representation of what all players think, especially players who had quit playing because of the feature he's asking about.....

Etc.

Wouldn't that be something!?

#12 2019-07-07 15:42:35

BladeWoods

The most recent update allows us to carry sterile pads around in a apron. This might help quite a bit with countering killers.

#13 2019-07-07 17:34:58

Finbar659

BladeWoods wrote:

The most recent update allows us to carry sterile pads around in a apron. This might help quite a bit with countering killers.

I thought it was a good idea myself but I have noticed some new members decides to wear the apron containing sterile pads that was left on the ground unaware bout the sterlie pads which cause us to panic a lot when someone was stabbed as the new member was unsure how to use it

#14 2019-07-07 17:57:16

Morti

Making games that challenge players is difficult.
Making players challenge players is easy.

Just look at the most watched games on Twitch.

qwACigJ.jpg

The vast majority of them are basically Windows 95 screensavers with guns.

maxresdefault.jpg

Pew Pew

#15 2019-07-07 19:39:38

Spoonwood

Genetic score discourages killing in the game for its own sake.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2019-07-07 20:19:07

Ilka

AdelaSkarupa
We have asked Jason many times for baby carriers or prams. He always answered us something like- "motherhood should be difficult".
I do not know how long you play but before the introduction of swords, there was no such carnage as now. If griefer appeared, everyone wanted to remove, no matter what family he was from. So different families lived together in harmony. If the griefer killed several people, he received some curses and was quickly sent to the Donkey Town.
Now you can not live in a peace with strangers because sooner or later a griefer will be born and a slaughter will begin. So it is not even worth trying to live together and it is wise to kill every stranger.
We play as griefers imposed us.
Swords are not only magic (they only kill strangers) but people from another family can not curse the killer. This gives him an unjustified advantage.

RedComb
I would really like Jason to ask about it. For now, the players vote not playing the game.

Morti
Is not about the challenge. The challenge was to change the temperature. This is about changing the rules of the game. It was supposed to be a game about building civilization and parenting.
Now, the basic principle of the game is - beware, because everyone can kill you. If someone is strangers, watch out 10 times more. Sad.

#17 2019-07-07 20:50:49

RedComb

Ilka wrote:

Morti
Is not about the challenge. The challenge was to change the temperature. This is about changing the rules of the game. It was supposed to be a game about building civilization and parenting.
Now, the basic principle of the game is - beware, because everyone can kill you. If someone is strangers, watch out 10 times more. Sad.

But haven't you heard? The murder rate is only 5%... Jason will point to numbers like that over and over again to dismiss people's complaints about the amount of murders.

FYI, the murder rate this past Sunday (a peak day) was 5%.

Out of 6261 deaths in the game on Sunday, 330 of them were murders,

To put that in perspective, 1060 people died of old age (which is pretty hard to do), which is more than 3x the number of people who were murdered that day.

95% of people in the game died peacefully on Sunday.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/zb011/recommended/595690/

It's too bad he doesn't consider that the current murder rates in the real world is measured in the number of intentional murders per 100,000.

By region, the Americas leads with 16.3 murders per 100,000 people. In comparison, OHOL's murder rate would be 5,000 murders per 100,000 lives (300 times more than the 16.3 per 100,000 people number)

By country, El Salvador has the highest number of murders per 100,000 people (82.84). OHOL's murder rate of "only" 5% is SIXTY TIMES more than the most murder-plagued country on earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c … icide_rate

But, yeah... it's only 5%, so quit your whining. It's not like 5% would be insanely high in real life or anything. Nope. Totally normal for 5,000 of every 100,000 lives to end in murder.

And yes, I realize this is comparing a game to real life, but I just want Jason to consider that maybe 5% is still pretty traumatic to people who might think OHOL is simulating civilization, which is one of the answers some people give to complaints about the warsword, btw. ("stop complaining about the warsword and murder, this game is a simulation of civilization" etc)

Last edited by RedComb (2019-07-07 20:52:29)

#18 2019-07-07 21:12:28

Tarr
Banned

I mean the game has definitely taken a nose dive since the addition of swords and fences. We got forced bad mechanics to try to make other shitty mechanics more palatable to the players.

Players won't use fences because they're annoying to get around or use in general? Better make a magic weapon that can repeatedly stab someone to death within four seconds of picking it up. 

Scarcity of resources too harsh when putting players so close to each other? Well we don't want to spread them out so lets just wipe the map every eight or so hours for unseen areas.

One person abuses a system that had been mostly working fine since its implementation? Well we can't fine tune it so promise to give tools to combat the issue; "forget" and proceed to ask about just removing the system instead of fixing it again.

I miss being able to work with other families without having to worry about the one person with ill intentions ruining multicultural towns. I miss being able to trust Jason and not fearing Jason is purposely fucking up an update to push some agenda. I miss OHOL. I haven't seriously played since the whole genocide thing as the direction the game took after it has been terrible.

fug it’s Tarr.

#19 2019-07-07 22:15:08

AdelaSkarupa

RedComb wrote:

By region, the Americas leads with 16.3 murders per 100,000 people. In comparison, OHOL's murder rate would be 5,000 murders per 100,000 lives (300 times more than the 16.3 per 100,000 people number)

You can't compare in-game murders to real-life murder rates. You would have to compare them to rates in similar games. Are you as responsible with your money in games as you are in real life? How many people have you stabbed in real life compared to in games? Life in-game will never have the same value as a real life. So this is not a legitimate comparison.

#20 2019-07-08 03:17:09

Morti

Tarr wrote:

I miss being able to work with other families without having to worry about the one person with ill intentions ruining multicultural towns. I miss being able to trust Jason and not fearing Jason is purposely fucking up an update to push some agenda. I miss OHOL. I haven't seriously played since the whole genocide thing as the direction the game took after it has been terrible.

This is when our patience, compassion and ingenuity, are needed most.
Let's pretend this is the Dark Age of One Life, we need a Renaissance; we need the Enlightenment.
We need artists, naturalists and philosophers, to bring the dawn.

Much as I hate dawn in real life, the reason I love the night is because of the stars in the sky.
My imagination will never be sated with thoughts of all the worlds out there.
Right now, there is wind, blowing on countless worlds.
Right now, there there are waves, crashing on countless shores.
Every star in the sky, is surrounded by bodies of debris, left over after their formation.
Giant planets, shrouded by atmospheres of hydrogen and helium, 10,000 km thick.
Planets so big, their moons might be the size of Jupiter.
Little planets, smaller than the moon, but so dense they have the gravity to hold liquid water, and gaseous oxygen, on their surface.

Right now, comets are being pulled into Arcturus. They are warming up and geysers of CO2, H2O and CH4 are spraying out so far, that the trails they leave behind, can be seen millions of kilometers away.

The whole universe is alive right now, and you can see so much more of it at night, than you can in the day. But it's only possible to see because of one star; our star. When the Earth rotates to face the Sun, we come alive. Life, needs that warmth. We need the light. It has been an essential ingredient, in what we are, from the beginning. We need it. As much as a newborn needs their mother, we need it. As much as a parent needs a child, we need it.

Jason makes the dusk, in his way, so we can bring the dawn, in ours.

Much as it worries me that so many 'game' developers are obsessed with this; creating situations for people to murder each other, or, to murder other life forms, be they monsters, plants or animals, completely missing out on what life went through for billions of years before it began cannibalizing itself, I get why they do it. Many of them, probably don't even get why they do it. It's no more a thought to them than the beating of their hearts.

I like Jason- well, I like One Hour One Life, because it reminds me of that heart. It's nice to be reminded of the pulsing of the human heart, and what keeps us going. It's especially nice, to hear it in someone else.

We need good people right now Tarr.

All of you are needed right now.

#21 2019-07-08 03:42:14

testo

AdelaSkarupa wrote:
RedComb wrote:

You can't compare in-game murders to real-life murder rates. You would have to compare them to rates in similar games. Are you as responsible with your money in games as you are in real life? How many people have you stabbed in real life compared to in games? Life in-game will never have the same value as a real life. So this is not a legitimate comparison.

You can´t compare in-game murders to real-life murders in a game that simulates civilization?

Well, it seems to be very important to compare

Pine panel production
Milkweed
Language
Climate and habitability

Hell I could go on for a few minutes here.

That being said, the comparison is flawled for a different reason. I´m using this data https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_ … ted_States
So if 4.5 is the actual number per 100.000 living people in a YEAR then in a lifespan of 80 years (a full life) you get 360 murders.

Note the difference, because murder rate in real life comes as number of murders per 100.000 people a year not as number of murders per complete life.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#22 2019-07-08 04:21:10

AdelaSkarupa

testo wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:
RedComb wrote:

You can´t compare in-game murders to real-life murders in a game that simulates civilization?

Pine panel production
Milkweed
Language
Climate and habitability

That being said, the comparison is flawled for a different reason. I´m using this data https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_ … ted_States
So if 4.5 is the actual number per 100.000 living people in a YEAR then in a lifespan of 80 years (a full life) you get 360 murders.

Note the difference, because murder rate in real life comes as number of murders per 100.000 people a year not as number of murders per complete life.

You can't compare because the people committing countless murders in this game would never murder someone in real life. Killing someone in a game will never feel the same as killing them in the real world. There's no hesitation because of the value of life, no PTSD. It's just a click and they'll be back later. So, if you're going to do a statistical analysis and figure out whether the murders in the game are excessive, then you would need to compare it to games of the same genre. And I'd say you'll probably think of few. And if you want to compare it to the real world, then you need to allow for some multiple based on how much more likely a person is to kill in a game than in real life. And I'd say that multiple is pretty high.

#23 2019-07-08 05:02:42

testo

AdelaSkarupa wrote:
testo wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:

Pine panel production
Milkweed
Language
Climate and habitability

You can't compare because the people committing countless murders in this game would never murder someone in real life.

Why would they never murder IRL but they would in a civilization game. Maybe there is something that real civilization has that the game lacks...

- Jack Ass

#24 2019-07-08 05:26:13

RodneyC86

testo wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:
testo wrote:

Pine panel production
Milkweed
Language
Climate and habitability

You can't compare because the people committing countless murders in this game would never murder someone in real life.

Why would they never murder IRL but they would in a civilization game. Maybe there is something that real civilization has that the game lacks...

Well for one thing, you would likely end up in jail or you will have to be on the run if you murdered someone. Also, reincarnation is proven in game. In real life .. hmm now that I think about it , if we somehow found out and prove reincarnation is actually a thing.... It's a scary thought

#25 2019-07-08 06:38:17

AdelaSkarupa

testo wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:
testo wrote:

Pine panel production
Milkweed
Language
Climate and habitability

The fact that you are even struggling with this concept disturbs me. So let me break it down for you...

Game: Cartoon people with no pain, no value, and they keep coming back.
Real life: A real person with one life to live; Someone's mom, sister, father, brother, etc.

In summary, THIS IS A GAME!

Board footer