One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-06 23:29:52

SpiritBomb32

Specialization and engine making

Usually when I play the game, I often switch jobs or tasks without sticking to one goal for the later half of my life. By specialization, I mean for someone to stick to one thing like gathering stones for a building, flat stones for a future road, or gathering logs to create wood floors. Then someone spends some time using those products. Someone gathers the material and someone else makes goods.i'd imagine that this would have an impact on society and traveling. I remember in one of my lives after the change was made that allowed you to put cut stones in carts. I wanted to build that life and someone else helped me, we both helped fill a screen with cut stones in little than 15 minutes.
Have you ever made an engine from the iron bars to functioning diesel engine? If you had the mindset of being a smith and the materials then probably, but the most I've made was the 8 or so cylinders and even then it took two times starting the newcomen. Wouldn't be eaiser to set up 4 of them each with the different add-on?
Imagine a game where you rent a car and drive down a road to another town.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#2 2019-07-06 23:36:51

AdelaSkarupa

Re: Specialization and engine making

It doesn't take long to switch attachments. Why build four newcomens?

#3 2019-07-06 23:37:40

RodneyC86

AdelaSkarupa wrote:

It doesn't take long to switch attachments. Why build four newcomens?

Surprising number of people doesn't know this, heck I didn't know till two weeks ago

#4 2019-07-06 23:39:20

Tarr
Banned

It's definitely not faster to just set up four newcomen towers with each individual attachment. You should be making things in batches according to what is needed.

First batch is newcomen hammer and it can take two to three firings depending on how efficient and if you have help. This step requires 12 steel bars to do.
One large pulley
One small pulley
Ten pistons.

Next batch of stuff is newcomen roller. This should honestly only take you one firing and with the left over hot kiln should make the fuel tank needed.
Make five steel rods
Make the fuel tank at the forge with the extra time left over.

Next is our newcomen bore. This is a very easy step just remember not to mess it up.
Bore two of your pistons
Bore three of the five rods.

Lastly is the lathe part of the thing. This is where it's very easy to fuck it up. Go slow if you are unsure it will take about two firings solo to do this even at the fastest.
Bore the two pistons you lathed.
Lathe six pistons twice each.
Lathe the other two pistons one each.
Lathe two of the three steel pipes
Lathe one steel rod once.
Lathe one steel rod twice.

Put third pipe into fuel tank then assemble all the items.

Takes about 30 minutes to do this solo from start to finish when forging bars.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-07-07 06:36:17

testo

As Tarr put it it is useless to have more than one Newcomen at the moment (and realisticly that is not going to change ever). Basically you are wasting 3 iron for each newcomen core plus 2 iron for each attachment, all gone into a garbage can. (Not even thinking about the rubber tires or extra klins you would need).

Now lets look at what you want (specialization for mass engine production). You will see that real specialization could come from people coordination jobs instead of several different machines with different people working.

Each full engine can be done in 2 hammer, 1 roller, 1 bore, 2 lathe uses. That is 20 seconds each firing round. Times six thats two minutes of real newcomen fire. Just take my word (or Tarrs for that matter) that it can not be done in less uses. Also take for true that one person working alone would take at the very least 25 minutes to complete it from 17 steel and 1 iron. (I´m assuming all the attachments are ready to use).

So, the part that takes most of the time is actually preparing to fire (you need a lot of free tiles nearby to drop the hot items from the hammer and roller). With good 4 people coordination, the full engine could be done in less than 5 minutes from steel. That would require: 1/2 operators (someone that only fires the newcomen and makes the parts). 1 1 feeder/gatherer (someone restocking the steel in the same tile for the operators and gathers the parts in containers after they cool) and 1 refiller (someone that inmedialy refills the charcoal and water for the newcomen/klin and also set up attachments).

In closing:

We are looking at a F1 pit stop type of specialization, because of the simplicity and reduced time for each task and the coordination needed instead of a chinese production line specialization.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-07-07 08:24:10

MultiLife

Omg, record a video if you guys ever group up to make the engine in 5mins. Then play Benny Hills song in the backgroud.

Also thank you Tarr for the instructions, got a screenshot of them to keep with me when I land in a town without an engine again.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2019-07-07 19:42:44

Spoonwood

Do oil and make a kerosone tank before doing a diesel engine.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-07-07 20:43:09

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:

Agreed! I see quite a few places get a diesel well before even putting a pipe in a tarry spot. Would be nice if people figured out that a diesel well is useless without kerosene.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#9 2019-07-07 20:46:41

Tarr
Banned

sigmen4020 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Agreed! I see quite a few places get a diesel well before even putting a pipe in a tarry spot. Would be nice if people figured out that a diesel well is useless without kerosene.

I think it's because one is actually fun to make (diesel engine) and the other is the game showing off it's tedium (oil grind.)

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-07-07 22:16:59

AdelaSkarupa

Tarr wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I think it's because one is actually fun to make (diesel engine) and the other is the game showing off it's tedium (oil grind.)

I actually enjoy the oil grind. It's laborious but not super complicated, and it brings something very necessary to the town. Just a rewarding little quest.

#11 2019-07-08 02:04:19

SpiritBomb32

Testo, you would need a few friends or just god teir communication.I think that is a huge part of making the game from survival to society. I think that's why murder chains happen, the real story gets drowned by the other comments. I think that making a government will be very hard to do without UI, given that rules even if everyone understands in the first place, will be gone by the next generation. Rip sorry if I ramble

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#12 2019-07-08 04:38:02

testo

SpiritBomb32 wrote:

Testo, you would need a few friends or just god teir communication.I think that is a huge part of making the game from survival to society. I think that's why murder chains happen, the real story gets drowned by the other comments. I think that making a government will be very hard to do without UI, given that rules even if everyone understands in the first place, will be gone by the next generation. Rip sorry if I ramble

I think just normal organization for the engine is enough. Obvioulsy a previous plan and setup, maybe some practice. But not that much really. What you really need is people that understand each step, a.k.a. people that can make the engine alone. I´m pretty confident in my analysis, maybe it is not 5 minutes, maybe it´s 7 idk. But I can guarantee it can be done in less than 10 minutes (from steel though). The point is, newcomen specialization is suboptimal compared to task specialization (And also newcomen specialization requires some level of coordination too).

The only part where newcomen specialization (each newcomen with a different attachment) is faster is in the tool change. Maybe if you had infinite resources and a factory level of continuous  production (and this is a BIG maybe). Like having 10 newcomen engines working non stop (remember each tool has a different ratio of use). But that would mean 10 people making engines (so you would need at least 20 people looking for iron to make it continuous. And at least 20 people making steel/ charcoal at the same time (wich is by far more time consuming). And 20 people feeding kindiling for charcoal. And 10 people feeding those 4 levels. That is 80 people working for an hour. And you would make like 2 engines every minute. Wich would make 120 engines in an hour. For a 600 max people server. So you would have an engine for each person in 6 hours and then some....

~rambling.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2019-07-08 04:44:15

RodneyC86

testo wrote:
SpiritBomb32 wrote:

I think just normal organization for the engine is enough. Obvioulsy a previous plan and setup, maybe some practice. But not that much really. What you really need is people that understand each step, a.k.a. people that can make the engine alone. I´m pretty confident in my analysis, maybe it is not 5 minutes, maybe it´s 7 idk. But I can guarantee it can be done in less than 10 minutes (from steel though). The point is, newcomen specialization is suboptimal compared to task specialization (And also newcomen specialization requires some level of coordination too).

The only part where newcomen specialization (each newcomen with a different attachment) is faster is in the tool change. Maybe if you had infinite resources and a factory level of continuous  production (and this is a BIG maybe). Like having 10 newcomen engines working non stop (remember each tool has a different ratio of use). But that would mean 10 people making engines (so you would need at least 20 people looking for iron to make it continuous. And at least 20 people making steel/ charcoal at the same time (wich is by far more time consuming). And 20 people feeding kindiling for charcoal. And 10 people feeding those 4 levels. That is 80 people working for an hour. And you would make like 2 engines every minute. Wich would make 120 engines in an hour. For a 600 max people server. So you would have an engine for each person in 6 hours and then some....

~rambling.

Slow down, we won't get a Model T equivalent in OHOL in a looooong time at this rate.

You know, I would venture to think if new item and tech content keeps getting pumped consistently murders will settle themselves without tinkering with curse, swords, wars and whatnot.

#14 2019-07-08 04:53:52

testo

RodneyC86 wrote:
testo wrote:
SpiritBomb32 wrote:

~rambling.

Slow down, we won't get a Model T equivalent in OHOL in a looooong time at this rate.

You know, I would venture to think if new item and tech content keeps getting pumped consistently murders will settle themselves without tinkering with curse, swords, wars and whatnot.

Yes, I believe boredom is by far the biggest murder and griefing cause. Wich in turn is hard to address with the present repetitive gameplay.

- Jack Ass

Board footer