One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-06 05:48:36

Dantox

What do you think will become "that next step" for civilizations?

As how i see the game, i see 4 stages

Eve camp for the first generations to settle

Iron setltement once iron tools are starting to be built and newcomen tower is done

Post-newcomen town Water pump is working, farms are built and the town is preparing for the transition to diesel engine

Post-dieselwaterpump for towns that already have infinity water and is actively working to survive the most.

Some people would add the radio or the plane to be some events that are worthy mentioning, but as i see them they are not really important for the development of a town and is mostly toys that were meant to be played with since after the diesel water pump there is not much to do besides farming or cooking pies.

Once these fix updates are over and jason starts thinking on new ideas for content, what do you think he could add that would be worthy to call "the next step" for a civilization?

make bread, no war

#2 2019-07-06 05:52:55

HumboldtStoneHoe

Re: What do you think will become "that next step" for civilizations?

Dantox wrote:

As how i see the game, i see 4 stages

Eve camp for the first generations to settle

Iron setltement once iron tools are starting to be built and newcomen tower is done

Post-newcomen town Water pump is working, farms are built and the town is preparing for the transition to diesel engine

Post-dieselwaterpump for towns that already have infinity water and is actively working to survive the most.

Some people would add the radio or the plane to be some events that are worthy mentioning, but as i see them they are not really important for the development of a town and is mostly toys that were meant to be played with since after the diesel water pump there is not much to do besides farming or cooking pies.

Once these fix updates are over and jason starts thinking on new ideas for content, what do you think he could add that would be worthy to call "the next step" for a civilization?

Architecture and housing for everyone, yes

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#3 2019-07-06 06:09:20

AdelaSkarupa

I think the problem is that most view this as a survival game (which it is) but it's meant to be more of a civilization game. It's about people and interactions. I hope the future will involve items that are more of an artistic or cultural expression.

However, I have to say the one thing I hope for: space race.

#4 2019-07-06 07:07:07

ollj

The next tech level is when a city has build a snake pit and a purbull pit, to sacrifice all the twin babies in.

#5 2019-07-06 07:08:11

AdelaSkarupa

Ollj, why don't you go play a combat game? We don't want to play with you.

#6 2019-07-06 07:08:52

HumboldtStoneHoe

ollj wrote:

The next tech level is when a city has build a snake pit and a purbull pit, to sacrifice all the twin babies in.

I like how you're trying to get infamous for being the "TWIN DESTROYER 9000" so cool and interesting.

yep it's stone hoe time

#7 2019-07-06 07:38:37

Ruben

Dantox wrote:

Next step *was* combining towns with via streets.
But this step is nearly impossible to achieve since we cant /DIE our way into the same village again.

I think it would require some form of cartography now.

#8 2019-07-06 07:40:28

Grim_Arbiter

ollj wrote:

We already had a town with a pet snake. His name was fred and he only bit a few people tongue

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#9 2019-07-06 13:11:32

WomanWizard

The next logical step would be improvements to farming. Why are we still doing everything with clay bowls and hoes when we have much better tech at our fingertips?

#10 2019-07-06 13:21:05

HumboldtStoneHoe

WomanWizard wrote:

The next logical step would be improvements to farming. Why are we still doing everything with clay bowls and hoes when we have much better tech at our fingertips?

Jason's real maker aesthetic

yep it's stone hoe time

#11 2019-07-06 14:06:33

schmloo

Water is the biggest contributing factor to what a town can and will build, so it’s safe to say that “eras” of a civilisation are defined by their pump tech; you’ll rarely see trees being planted until diesel pump tech as it’s far less demanding and super maple forests are a luxury. The next step for civilisation is widening the tech tree in those respective eras - Silos at dry well tech, palm tree farming at diesel, etc.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#12 2019-07-06 17:55:20

AdelaSkarupa

schmloo wrote:

Water is the biggest contributing factor to what a town can and will build, so it’s safe to say that “eras” of a civilisation are defined by their pump tech; you’ll rarely see trees being planted until diesel pump tech as it’s far less demanding and super maple forests are a luxury. The next step for civilisation is widening the tech tree in those respective eras - Silos at dry well tech, palm tree farming at diesel, etc.

Perhaps irrigation systems with sprinklers? Run them to the middle of a crop and water several things at once? Sprinklers are wasteful in real life though and probably would be in game too. But I would love to see the ability to pump water to another location rather than running back and forth to fill cisterns.

#13 2019-07-06 19:05:50

Tarr
Banned

I would assume the next real levels of tech would be quality of life things instead of just toys you can't actually use on the main server.

Watering cans
Lighters
Storage UPGRADES

For new fun updates I'd like to see for late game.

New building materials
More building paints
Cheaper building paints
New road materials
More animal husbandry (rabbits, horses, snakes, bears?!)

After diesel the game should be about actually building civilization.

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2019-07-06 19:22:57

RodneyC86

A rope making machine - yes even if it requires diesel - a way to mass produce ropes will definitely usher in a new era of many fold increase in construction and infrastructures

Ropes are needed for storage, gates, doors, carts( carts are important for hauling construction material, letting many people own one easily will come a long way), buckets ( to mass produce paint), so getting ropes easily will be another good step up.

#15 2019-07-07 17:38:31

Morti

#16 2019-07-07 18:01:21

Potjeh

Hopefully iron mine upgrades analogous to well upgrades.

#17 2019-07-08 02:06:23

Bob 101

Hard to tell really. You mean the next step the community wants or what Jason wants?

#18 2019-07-08 03:53:14

Peaches

The arts, of course.
Once you hit the stage where there's no more advancement and water is no longer an issue, I'd like to see the option for paintings and sculptures.

I can imagine a canvas/paintbrush item that randomly generates some color splotches in the shade of your paint, that can be displayed on walls. A sculpting chisel to build large statues of people (I imagine statues being made in three parts that all look the same when apart, but form 1/3 of a person when stacked). Stone altars... jewelry making... and bound books!

People on the forum would complain about "useless updates," as they do for anything fun, but it would give the game some proper culture.

But I'd also like to see hemp added, something that either grows quickly or makes stacks of ropes rather than requiring four plants just to make one.

Last edited by Peaches (2019-07-08 03:54:27)

The Frank to your Cleopatra

Board footer