One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-03 22:12:27

Bob 101

Will we get content soon?

I don't use discord so I don't know what Jason's doing.

But i do know it's been many weeks since any actual content. Loom clothes was the last tech advance i can remember. Even that was coming out of content drought.

Civilization hasn't come that far since early days. Sure, combustion engines but what we do with it?

We still just light things with a massive wooden shaft.

When can we have Jason's modern home office in game.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-03 22:31:25)

#2 2019-07-04 00:38:25

testo

Re: Will we get content soon?

Jason has stated there´s no new content coming. He is working with the basic gameplay.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-07-04 00:55:50

Tarr
Banned

As stated he's messing with basic gamplay stuff at the moment. If you want content YaH has that and if you want weird gimmicks ohol has that.

I'm sure we'll get new content eventually but you've played long enough to know how these content droughts go.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-07-04 01:22:02

Spoonwood

Actually, slot boxes were the last building change.

No, it's not wheat in a barrel, which I've heard that You Are Hope has.

The numbers for June were pretty bad in terms of decline on Steam: https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All

I guess that's not that surprising since the war sword downgrade happened in mid May and marked a definite departure, nay *contradiction*, with a game about parenting and civilization building (and NO, war swords never actually led to more civilization building in OHOL... and they are completely inconsistent with playing for genetic score... causalities of war will hurt your genetic score).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-07-04 02:49:37

AdelaSkarupa

Spoonwood wrote:

causalities of war will hurt your genetic score).

It is consistent. That gives you the genetic incentive to win the war.

#6 2019-07-04 02:59:53

Spoonwood

AdelaSkarupa wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Nope.  Casualties of war will happen, and that's worse than not fighting the war at all for both sides, sine that will happen.  You have a casualty of war, and that decreases your genetic score, even if you personally live.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-07-04 03:12:31)

Danish Clinch.

#7 2019-07-04 03:03:18

Léonard

AdelaSkarupa wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

That's fine and all until you realize that, oh gee I don't know, maybe you don't start a war in the first place and avoid any casualty at all?

#8 2019-07-04 03:07:19

HumboldtStoneHoe

jason is thick

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#9 2019-07-04 04:03:36

RodneyC86

Léonard wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

That's fine and all until you realize that, oh gee I don't know, maybe you don't start a war in the first place and avoid any casualty at all?

Thing is with war, and with decent people , hopefully most of us - it comes looking for you, not the other way around.

It's fine to be a peacenik but thinking that wars (war may not even necessarily come on the form of killing, resource wars is a thing too) can be stopped with words alone is wishful thinking.

But I do think we don't need more ways to kill each other, the community is small and quite fractured now, we don't need more stress on this front, at least not yet. The war sword update is ill-timed.

#10 2019-07-04 04:47:42

Spoonwood

RodneyC86 wrote:
Léonard wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:

Thing is with war, and with decent people , hopefully most of us - it comes looking for you, not the other way around.

It's fine to be a peacenik but thinking that wars (war may not even necessarily come on the form of killing, resource wars is a thing too) can be stopped with words alone is wishful thinking.

But I do think we don't need more ways to kill each other, the community is small and quite fractured now, we don't need more stress on this front, at least not yet. The war sword update is ill-timed.

Sure, war might come in spite of the genetic score system clearly implying it as not worthwhile.  However, it still holds, that waging a war offensively isn't going to help out your score.  It's better to kill anyone trying to kill you or your family, but if they're not trying to, then it's counter-productive.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-07-04 04:47:54)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-07-04 05:06:16

Léonard

RodneyC86 wrote:

resource wars is a thing too

Actually, you made me reconsider.
Spoon's original point was that if you want to care about your score, then at no point will starting a war be preferable due to casualties (which would render war useless).

But since it's your family that matters, could it be possible that the war casualties pay off better than the deaths caused by an eventual resource crisis due to the stress caused by multiple families living together?

Do lineages survive long enough for such a thing to realistically happen?
Does the genetic scoring system even allow for it? Does it care about lineage depth at all?

And to be honest, even if so, even if that did create a legitimate non-roleplaying reason for war, I still don't really like it.
I mean, it's better off for people to start wars because they can have extra pips of foods while old? Why not just yum instead...

And besides, why yet another emphasis on war?.. Shouldn't trade be the better option? I mean look at the modern world..

#12 2019-07-04 05:17:10

Tarr
Banned

Léonard wrote:

Do lineages survive long enough for such a thing to realistically happen?

Nope. I don't think places even last enough for any sort of resource to become stressed to the point that fighting would ever be better than just working together. Hell, even when places lasted for WEEKS we didn't see families kill off all the resources in the surrounding area. The only time resources have ever gotten scarce (and I mean actually scarce) is something like back in the day where people would cut all the trees down when you couldn't regrow them.

Léonard wrote:

Does the genetic scoring system even allow for it? Does it care about lineage depth at all?

I mean score system is literal memes but it definitely doesn't care about lineage depth. It only cares about people born during your time alive for its scoring and what not.

Léonard wrote:

And to be honest, even if so, even if that did create a legitimate non-roleplaying reason for war, I still don't really like it.
I mean, it's better off for people to start wars because they can have extra pips of foods while old? Why not just yum instead...

And besides, why yet another emphasis on war?.. Shouldn't trade be the better option? I mean look at the modern world..

War is only a thing now because otherwise late game villages would just turn on their own people. Instead of griefing it's "roleplaying". There's never a real reason to commit war except for arr-pee related reasons.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-07-04 05:20:28

RodneyC86

If only everyone is more reasonable, but as we can see even in forums, not everyone is.

The modern world has little overt traditional wars because modern wars are economical and cyber in nature. The Internet is a powerful thing.

Also, it doesn't help that trading is a pain.
If we are to introduce a currency that doesn't involve needing to have a tangible 'physical' item like the other items, I think it can come a long way to help trade develop - but Jason doesn't want any such items.
That's one problem, and who controls the mint? How is currency made? What if a griefer hyperinflated a currency?

#14 2019-07-04 05:25:31

RodneyC86

Also I agree with Tarr, the war rumbles and shittalking starts during a Town booming age with mountains of pies and everyone well clothed. They are certainly not happening out of desperation . There's easily enough resource to support even a 30 member town if my intuition is right and resource wars shouldn't legitly happen until we have 100plus towns , which certainly won't happen in the current game state

Can we have a way to trial war crimes? Lol

Add:
I disagree though that the genetic score doesn't help lineage depth. At least we might have created a subset of players who indeed care and use it a gauge to their game ( like yours truly) , and will try to provide for the town for at least further two to three generations by making sure everyone is clothed and food storage abundant. If every 2 generations have such players there is a much better chance for a longer lineage. I would wager Win and Dominik made it to 100 plus generations is in small part due to the new mechanics

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-07-04 06:12:45)

#15 2019-07-04 05:53:36

Dodge

Any amount of content will not make trading a thing, same for wars with an actual reason.

If everyone can make everything then there is no reason to trade and if there is plenty of ressources in an infinite world that keeps resetting then there is no reasons for war.

It's good that Jason focuses on solving the deeper issues in the game, depending on what he does it could make the game really interesting especially late game which is currently very boring.

#16 2019-07-04 06:02:32

RodneyC86

Dodge wrote:

Any amount of content will not make trading a thing, same for wars with an actual reason.

If everyone can make everything then there is no reason to trade and if there is plenty of ressources in an infinite world that keeps resetting then there is no reasons for war.

It's good that Jason focuses on solving the deeper issues in the game, depending on what he does it could make the game really interesting especially late game which is currently very boring.

As he once put it, he is dealing with a rug that won't stay down. He hits a bulge on the rug, he gets another one.

If we make it crafting harder such that not everyone can make everything - might encourage trade but the learning curve might get steeper, that will make getting new player base even harder , which this game sorely needs

If we make it too easy, no trade will happen , like now - which I could argue isn't actually too easy - it's just that 90 percent of current players are veterans. Newbies will ask for stuff made in their favour, guaranteed

If we make the world more finite, more justified wars will happen, but we already see a good chunk of the players here are absolutely against any concept of war , though IMO war sword or no it will still happen if desperate enough, humans are ingenious - I think thief on chariots will become a thing - zoom in to iron pile while no one is watching, load em up and zip away

Currently, world is infinite and we have boredom wars

I think solving this is basically solving the Theory of Everything .

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-07-04 06:03:04)

#17 2019-07-04 06:25:04

Dodge

RodneyC86 wrote:

As he once put it, he is dealing with a rug that won't stay down. He hits a bulge on the rug, he gets another one.

If we make it crafting harder such that not everyone can make everything - might encourage trade but the learning curve might get steeper, that will make getting new player base even harder , which this game sorely needs

If we make it too easy, no trade will happen , like now - which I could argue isn't actually too easy - it's just that 90 percent of current players are veterans. Newbies will ask for stuff made in their favour, guaranteed

If we make the world more finite, more justified wars will happen, but we already see a good chunk of the players here are absolutely against any concept of war , though IMO war sword or no it will still happen if desperate enough, humans are ingenious - I think thief on chariots will become a thing - zoom in to iron pile while no one is watching, load em up and zip away

Or the crafting mechanic could be easier but at the same time more limited.

It makes no sense that a farmer can at the same time be smith, engineer, cook, tailor etc.

In real life these skills are learned in a lifetime and take practice to get right but you cant do everything, if your parents are farmer then you learn it at a young age then you decide what you want to do in life, but you will have already better knowledge of farming.

There is a reason we have specializations in real life and that's one of the reasons we trade.

It's not about some players being against war, this game simulates civilisations, war is part of human civilisation history, why did they happen?

Most of the time because of ressources or territory which equals ressources, so if they are infinite no war will happen, also having every village built being culled over and over again is not interesting, it's like a forced wipe every 2-3 days.

There is no long term goal or consequences in the game atm it's just a perpetual reset with no way to prevent it.

#18 2019-07-04 06:41:09

RodneyC86

That's why I really don't mind war swords as a concept. It's just ill- timed, and I had mixed feelings about culling the map so I didn't say much about it but this is what I feared.

If you ask me, I think OHOL should have a significantly smaller map which actually circumnavigates, with a world that gets more harsh to live in with time - like a dying planet. It will definitely be brutal though - ala Mad Max and borderlands. Very gritty - but who said being in a difficult place makes parenting unimportant and not the focus? If anything, it's more treasured, precious , and the feels

Resets will then have to happen though, but doing it in a scheduled way makes it too deterministic. Using apocalypse monuments is well ... Makes it look like griefers are ridiculously powerful.

Global warming maybe? As less trees cover the map, the world gets warmer - tundra becomes grassland - grassland becomes plains, plains become deserts , and deserts actually develop absolutely hostile death valleys that will melt your feet off. Anyone who plays civilization knows what I'm talking about. Once it comes a point where no one dies in elderly age in past say maybe ,6 hours (indicating the world is too harsh now for anyone to have a full life in) - an apocalypse will happen

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-07-04 06:41:46)

#19 2019-07-04 06:54:36

Dodge

RodneyC86 wrote:

That's why I really don't mind war swords as a concept. It's just ill- timed, and I had mixed feelings about culling the map so I didn't say much about it but this is what I feared.

If you ask me, I think OHOL should have a significantly smaller map which actually circumnavigates, with a world that gets more harsh to live in with time - like a dying planet. It will definitely be brutal though - ala Mad Max and borderlands. Very gritty - but who said being in a difficult place makes parenting unimportant and not the focus? If anything, it's more treasured, precious , and the feels

Resets will then have to happen though, but doing it in a scheduled way makes it too deterministic. Using apocalypse monuments is well ... Makes it look like griefers are ridiculously powerful.

Global warming maybe? As less trees cover the map, the world gets warmer - tundra becomes grassland - grassland becomes plains, plains become deserts , and deserts actually develop absolutely hostile death valleys that will melt your feet off. Anyone who plays civilization knows what I'm talking about. Once it comes a point where no one dies in elderly age in past say maybe ,6 hours (indicating the world is too harsh now for anyone to have a full life in) - an apocalypse will happen

I think so too, smaller map but no culling so everything you build stays, then ressource get more scarce eventually and survival become harder and if you couple that with specializations that make you more efficient at crafting in your specialty.

It makes late game much more interesting since if you want to survive you have to be smart and organize a system of trading between the different professions, and if you dont trade and do everything yourself you waste a lot more ressources and end up making it impossible for future generations.

At which point the apocalypse is the only solution, game over.

Restart from the beginning.

But yeah obviously apocalypse would need to be harder to make, like different families cooperating and a stronger feeling that the apocalypse is near, right now it's only a sound, no blood raining from the sky, no earth shaking or swarm of locusts tongue

#20 2019-07-04 06:57:56

AdelaSkarupa

How many resources can you really run out of? When you run our of soil, you compost. When you run out of water, you make a diesel pump. Need wood? Plant an orchard. Need food? Farm and raise animals. The only truly finite resource I can think of is iron. So the emerging problem is that the only thing that really needs to be traded for is iron. But if the people who have the iron are also renewing their resources, what could you possibly offer? I suppose the only thing you could offer is something advanced like a diesel engine. Spend more iron, save the time. But it all goes back to this one resource. Iron is the oil of OHOL.

Edit: I suppose there are other things that are irritating and time consuming to make too, like buckets of rubber.

Last edited by AdelaSkarupa (2019-07-04 07:02:07)

#21 2019-07-04 07:08:05

Dodge

AdelaSkarupa wrote:

How many resources can you really run out of? When you run our of soil, you compost. When you run out of water, you make a diesel pump. Need wood? Plant an orchard. Need food? Farm and raise animals. The only truly finite resource I can think of is iron. So the emerging problem is that the only thing that really needs to be traded for is iron. But if the people who have the iron are also renewing their resources, what could you possibly offer? I suppose the only thing you could offer is something advanced like a diesel engine. Spend more iron, save the time. But it all goes back to this one resource. Iron is the oil of OHOL.

Knowledge is a ressource too, just not atm.

If only the farmer can make compost and farm crops, then the cook can run out of food to make and if he cant make food the smith will starve which makes it impossible for the farmer to grow crops without tools.

So even if iron is the only ressource that really runs out in the world other ressources can run out too from an individual perspective.

#22 2019-07-04 07:43:12

AdelaSkarupa

Dodge wrote:

If only the farmer can make compost and farm crops, then the cook can run out of food to make and if he cant make food the smith will starve which makes it impossible for the farmer to grow crops without tools.

The only ways to limit what an individual can accomplish is to make the task much more difficult and time consuming, or to introduce a skill system. I don't think anyone will get behind either one, so you will always see multitasking among the experienced players.

So if you're experienced, you are rich. If you're new, you're poor. The poor have nothing to offer the rich, so trade just doesn't happen there.

#23 2019-07-04 07:53:16

Dodge

AdelaSkarupa wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The only ways to limit what an individual can accomplish is to make the task much more difficult and time consuming, or to introduce a skill system. I don't think anyone will get behind either one, so you will always see multitasking among the experienced players.

So if you're experienced, you are rich. If you're new, you're poor. The poor have nothing to offer the rich, so trade just doesn't happen there.

Why would a skill system be bad?

That's what we have in real life, we study, practice and get better.

And if our parents are good at something that skill is passed down to future generations.

Plus it goes perfectly with the game, at first plenty of ressources but basic skill and generations later much less ressources but higher skill so less waste if you play smart.

Eventually the farmer will trade with baker for pies to give to smith in exchange of tools.

Tailor and shepard will work together and maybe we will have farming lands and industrial zones to make production more efficient.

Individual houses and land for every sub family with small workshops, stores etc.

#24 2019-07-04 07:53:56

testo

Dodge wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

It makes no sense that a farmer can at the same time be smith, engineer, cook, tailor etc.

In real life these skills are learned in a lifetime and take practice to get right but you cant do everything, if your parents are farmer then you learn it at a young age then you decide what you want to do in life, but you will have already better knowledge of farming.

There is a reason we have specializations in real life and that's one of the reasons we trade.

It's not about some players being against war, this game simulates civilisations, war is part of human civilisation history, why did they happen?

Most of the time because of ressources or territory which equals ressources, so if they are infinite no war will happen, also having every village built being culled over and over again is not interesting, it's like a forced wipe every 2-3 days.

There is no long term goal or consequences in the game atm it's just a perpetual reset with no way to prevent it.

Give this man a cookie, he is holding the right tree. The game crafting mechanic is flawled, hence, tech design is not a thing but a short linear progression.

What if you actually had to master making certain tools (like make a full set of steel tools or make a number of them) to unlock the ability to craft a Newcomen Core. Holy molly, then it is actually quite important who gets to make those extra shovel and axe.

What about a restriction to harvest to those that actually planted a similar seed... Hey! farming not so cheap anymore is it?

What if you had to learn how to use a bow and arrow on a human by first humting every other animal. Hey, war archers become a real job now... (Also prevents griefing since you need to kill a seal, rabbit, mouflon, wolf, bison, turkey and bear just to start using the bow on people). 

I doesn´t make any sense that a 4 year old jumps out of fire, picks a bowl of berries and starts crafting an engine. None.

However, all this model requires smart design on the crafting and tech tree. As it stands in the game, crafting is limited exclusively by resources, wich is a ridiculous way to model civilization.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#25 2019-07-04 08:04:03

RodneyC86

testo wrote:
Dodge wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

Give this man a cookie, he is holding the right tree. The game crafting mechanic is flawled, hence, tech design is not a thing but a short linear progression.

What if you actually had to master making certain tools (like make a full set of steel tools or make a number of them) to unlock the ability to craft a Newcomen Core. Holy molly, then it is actually quite important who gets to make those extra shovel and axe.

What about a restriction to harvest to those that actually planted a similar seed... Hey! farming not so cheap anymore is it?

What if you had to learn how to use a bow and arrow on a human by first humting every other animal. Hey, war archers become a real job now... (Also prevents griefing since you need to kill a seal, rabbit, mouflon, wolf, bison, turkey and bear just to start using the bow on people). 

I doesn´t make any sense that a 4 year old jumps out of fire, picks a bowl of berries and starts crafting an engine. None.

However, all this model requires smart design on the crafting and tech tree. As it stands in the game, crafting is limited exclusively by resources, wich is a ridiculous way to model civilization.

There's the issue of redundancy though. Griefing becomes a bigger issue if every member is vital to survival. Killing any member will be a major blow to a small village. And with current combat mechanics of attacker ALWAYS winning, even if it's an 8 year old Vs a 30 year old man with prime strength, griefing will be magnified i'm afraid

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-07-04 08:04:53)

Board footer