One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-02 13:19:22

futurebird

People keep feeding me and ruining my yum chain.

I really like the fitness update and I've been having fun with it, but I think that some players are going around feeding people more often now. Has anyone else noticed this?

It could also be that there is a lot less trolling now so people who have a need to troll are reverting to older ways to be annoying.

3 lives in a row I had my chain broken...

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-07-02 13:31:55

FulmenTheFinn

Re: People keep feeding me and ruining my yum chain.

After having dozens of great yum chains being forcibly ruined through force-feeding, I've learned to be very careful about standing next to people with food in their hands. That being said, I've not noticed an increase in force-feeding. Just the same old.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#3 2019-07-02 14:01:38

RodneyC86

Hmmm I had an aunt that was knifed by my mom after she allegedly fed my mom and broke her chain. I knifed my mom, I thought breaking a yum chain shouldn't be a death sentence and really, it's easy to make that mistake on a crowded area.

Do guys think feeding should also be a shift right click command?

#4 2019-07-02 15:07:13

happynova

RodneyC86 wrote:

Do guys think feeding should also be a shift right click command?

Anybody can do it once, by accident or out of ignorance or in a misguided attempt to be helpful, especially people who are new-ish.  But if you ask them to stop and they keep doing it, then they're just trolling.  I may or may not stab them myself, but I won't shed any tears if someone else does, for sure.

#5 2019-07-02 22:11:30

ollj

Has anyone else noticed this?
no not at all.

sure, when your yum chain reaches 15, you get milldly paranoid near crowds, because force feeding happens there more likely, not necessarily intentionally.
then again, high yums are more solidary lifestile in the town outskirts anyways, hunting and preparing the rarer yums mostly by yourself, far from any distracting or interfering crowd, that messes with your fire or ingredients.
i often wanted to feed starving babies, or myself, and misklicked anyone nerarby to a foece feed, followed by saying "oops"

to get high yums, you must learn to evade crowds, espeially fires and berry farm areas.
make secondary or tertiary fires where they are useful.
you may need to make small firres for some less comon food items anyways., so just spread out the fire, and by thatm decrease crowd density.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-02 22:13:19)

#6 2019-07-02 23:33:29

milkweed
Website

I have been force-fed and my chain has been broken.
I was also fed when I was walking.(luckily the food I ate was yum.) It's not easy to avoid forever-feeding.
It doesn't make sense to go far away to keep high chain. Having high chain is not my Goal. It is just one of the ways to survive.
I want to live as usual with high chain. I think it's too easy to force-feed others.

Last edited by milkweed (2019-07-03 03:54:43)

My mod ( based on Awbz's mod ) - https://github.com/MilkweedOHOL/OneLifeClient
I’m not a native speaker of English.
Sorry for my incomplete English.

#7 2019-07-03 12:33:24

Thaulos

Force feeding some dude next to you is a great way to get rid of that extra berry you picked when you spam eating berries. Or that last piece of pie when you need the plate for something else.

Finding empty tiles to drop that berry is hard nowadays with all the ancient clutter laying around.

Lukily I pretty mich stopped yumming now that having more children makes it very hard to maintain your score high because there won't be clothing for a ton of babies, might as well invest heavily in only a couple of them.

#8 2019-07-03 21:58:46

Bob 101

Hence why i don't yum unless theirs not enough babies.

It can be more efficient for awhile, But you still need to eat and each time it's harder. You have extra time but you probably spend it trying to cook new foods for yourself.

I'm more open to it as a male if the town already had variety. As female it's counterproductive because you need to make new food and raise extra babies.

It's a good way to get back at rude people quietly. Not that you are rude.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-03 22:05:47)

#9 2019-07-05 14:07:43

FulmenTheFinn

Bob 101 wrote:

As female it's counterproductive because you need to make new food and raise extra babies.

Bigger workforce and more food = counterproductive? Gee, what planet do you live on?

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#10 2019-07-05 14:35:39

RodneyC86

FulmenTheFinn wrote:
Bob 101 wrote:

As female it's counterproductive because you need to make new food and raise extra babies.

Bigger workforce and more food = counterproductive? Gee, what planet do you live on?

Believe it or not, I think actually as female in a new family (gen 2) it can be detrimental to have a population explosion early on when the first plot of gooseberries and carrots just started to mature.

#11 2019-07-05 15:17:25

schmloo

ollj wrote:

make secondary or tertiary fires where they are useful.
you may need to make small firres for some less comon food items anyways., so just spread out the fire, and by thatm decrease crowd density.

Don’t create more than one fire. Doing so doubles or triples the rate that you burn through firewood supplies, and forces you to chop more trees far out. Don’t forget that future generations need that firewood too.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#12 2019-07-06 05:15:51

FulmenTheFinn

RodneyC86 wrote:
FulmenTheFinn wrote:
Bob 101 wrote:

Believe it or not, I think actually as female in a new family (gen 2) it can be detrimental to have a population explosion early on when the first plot of gooseberries and carrots just started to mature.

The farm should mostly be done within gen 1, if not entirely. With a few kids helping, you should be wholly capable of getting sheep as well, before dying as Eve.

Anyway, we're talking about yum chaining here, i.e. not Eve camps, where most of the time you can't yum very high.

In a town with at least a completed farm and an oven, there's really no excuse not to yum chain. And if everybody in the town did it, you'd probably almost halve your collective food consumption, leaving much more time to pursue other things than e.g. constantly maintaining the berry farm.

#13 2019-07-06 05:22:44

RodneyC86

FulmenTheFinn wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
FulmenTheFinn wrote:

The farm should mostly be done within gen 1, if not entirely. With a few kids helping, you should be wholly capable of getting sheep as well, before dying as Eve.

Anyway, we're talking about yum chaining here, i.e. not Eve camps, where most of the time you can't yum very high.

In a town with at least a completed farm and an oven, there's really no excuse not to yum chain. And if everybody in the town did it, you'd probably almost halve your collective food consumption, leaving much more time to pursue other things than e.g. constantly maintaining the berry farm.

When I said gen 2 , I meant being born as gen 2 when your mom probably just started making her first fir. means your life will probably involve starting up said berry farm. Which is of course within the Eve's life span. Expect the first half of your gen 2 life to be making the first farm.

I'm not opposed to yumming, even in an eve camp chains of 6 or 7 should be easy. But I think chasing beyond that instead of getting a farm and at least a loincloth for everyone is not going to help especially if the eve decides to get 8 babies. Wild foods will deplete very very quickly

I think Tarr once said gen 2 is the best time to be born as male for the village survivability as a whole

#14 2019-07-06 06:26:09

AdelaSkarupa

I get it that a yum chain makes you more productive and is to be sought after. But the chain will always break sometime and I think people shouldn't be petty about the mistakes of inexperienced players. I don't even see how breaking someones chain on purpose is that big of an offense. Just start chaining again. I think a high yum chain, for some, is more about bragging rights than the actual practical value.

#15 2019-07-06 07:44:50

Ruben

futurebird wrote:

3 lives in a row I had my chain broken...

There is a saying in ohol that if you force feed someone often enough, they will leave a piece of high quality foie gras when reaching age 60.

Jokes aside, it really did occur to me more often than before, but I just can't link it to any form of griefing.

#16 2023-02-15 00:13:38

LiberatedAmon

AdelaSkarupa wrote:

I get it that a yum chain makes you more productive and is to be sought after. But the chain will always break sometime and I think people shouldn't be petty about the mistakes of inexperienced players. I don't even see how breaking someones chain on purpose is that big of an offense. Just start chaining again. I think a high yum chain, for some, is more about bragging rights than the actual practical value.

I didn't realize till reading this, that there were people so concerned about their personal food philosophy that they would murder some one for feeding them. That's some very petty behavior indeed. I feed others to free up dishes, or to get the last turkey leg cleared up, for the full set of bones. Feeding your family is supposed to be one of the best things you can do for each other. The idea that a survival themed game would have a mechanic that causes people to kill their own mother, for feeding them, sheds light on a big problem in that mechanic. To me, yum is like points in an old video game. It's just for showing off and is not necessary for actually winning the game.

#17 2023-02-15 13:25:26

QuirkySmirkyIan

In 2019 the yum system worked differently... If you are 1 MEH food your entire yum chain would be broken including getting force fed...

Open gate now. Need truck to be more efficient!

#18 2023-02-18 18:04:53

Marquis

LiberatedAmon wrote:

… people so concerned about their personal food philosophy…

Consider this. In OHOL you don’t have any possessions. What is yours is your time and what you choose to do with that time. Imagine someone has 15 minutes left and they’ve been working on yum their whole life so they can mine a lot, or chop a lot of trees, or travel a long distance without carrying food, or something. Now imagine they are about to do their last eating of tiny foods to boost their yum to the max, when someone force feeds them a berry carrot rabbit pie. It fills up their food bar and their plans are ruined.

Now, I’m not one to take revenge over this, personally. And, like QuirkySmirkyIan said, the calculus is different these days. But if someone keeps telling people to not feed them and people don’t listen, how can they get their point across?

Board footer