One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-02 09:17:37

Vexenie

Cotton plant and use

EZH0bf1.png

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2019-07-02 09:21:38

AdelaSkarupa

Re: Cotton plant and use

Drop spindles and baskets are pretty cheap to make. I think if this were implemented as you outlined, it would discourage raising sheep. Of course, you would still need them for mutton but some might just go without.

#3 2019-07-02 09:31:26

Vexenie

AdelaSkarupa wrote:

Drop spindles and baskets are pretty cheap to make. I think if this were implemented as you outlined, it would discourage raising sheep. Of course, you would still need them for mutton but some might just go without.

what if you need a special machine to make cotton into yarn and doesn't hold as much warmth as wool

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#4 2019-07-02 10:04:37

AdelaSkarupa

Maybe if you needed fiber combs and spinning wheels. If a spinning wheel required metal tools to make, then it could work, as it would come into play around the same time as sheep. I think most people don't even understand the warmth aspect of their clothing. They just wear what they think looks nice.

That being said there are other things in the game that do similar things, like making baskets from wheat or reeds. The main considerations are byproducts, ease of development, and cost. So I guess it could work. Less costly to develop (considering the berries and carrots it takes to feed sheep) but not as much payoff (no mutton, need more units of cotton than wool).

#5 2019-07-02 10:47:53

Morti

XKHElrc.png

You just want a bigger basket!
6 in a portable container so cheap, just breaks the whole economy of containment and transportation.
The strength of the container is not a factor, nor is the density, or weight, of the objects that go into them.

Sure, maybe if the large basket could only be used for cotton, then that'd be a waste of reeds for every other use and arguments could be made on whether reeds (or straw) should be used for multipurpose baskets, or, baskets for cotton.

There are just not enough crossing branches on the way up to the canopy of the tech tree, in general.

Or, should I say, I wish there were more, and just leave it at that.

The needle and thread is a good example of the way things should, IMO, be. You can either get there via milkweed, or, via wool.
There is no distinction between a needle and thread made of wool or plant fiber, though maybe there should be, but the function is similar. The function is exactly the same, and thus, the items are exactly the same.

As Adela pointed out, the basket itself is another.

I am in favor of more things being added to the game, so long as it doesn't get easier, just more complex. With a greater variety of trees at all stages of growth, in the tech forest. With a thick soup of vines, hugging all the trees together.

#6 2019-07-02 11:09:21

AdelaSkarupa

I was thinking along similar lines. It should be an alternative, not an easier replacement. It's like the property fences. They are cheaper but still require you to be at the point of making metal tools (a knife). They also have a trade-off in maintenance. So there has to be some trade-off that would make you sometimes choose cotton and sometimes wool.

Remember too that in order for the clothes to have different warmth stats, Jason would have to create a whole new line of clothing. Better to just make it a different - but involved - process to make the same clothes.

#7 2019-07-02 11:17:20

Morti

Morti wrote:

Sure, maybe if the large basket could only be used for cotton,

and maybe feathers...

WVJAChq.png

#8 2019-07-02 14:34:08

ollj

but you need to make whips for your slave children in your private property fences, too.

Board footer