One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-27 05:45:22

Karrots

Life was always valued in OHOL

Before the precious life update, babies mass-suicided and life was something to throw away when your spawn was perfect. But in my opinion, that made life more important before the update. After a long streak of /die in a dying village, to have a female child is a blessing. That child's life will be valued far more than others because they are the village's only hope. For her to die would be devastating, because it signifies the end of the family line. Thus the game and players on their own terms have added some sort of emotional connection to the fictional life of a character they plan to play for around 40 mins, without any extra prompting.

Even so, in other situations I always found my life valuable. There are no usernames to friend and add in OHOL. If you run into a player who you end up talking to and forming a connection with, dying means never talking to them again (unless you both can connect on the forums or disc, which isn't guaranteed). So after spending a whole hour clothing, mentoring, and chatting with my in-game child, who may be lost forever, I feel kind of frustrated. I have regrets. "Maybe if I could build one more well, maybe if I could find the rumored east town, maybe if I could have given my child a backpack."

But why do I care? It's just a game, and yet I formed a bond with the people I played with. I want them to survive, to finish their gaming experience positively. I want my family line and that hour of work not to go to waste. I want the garden I improved to be enjoyed by someone else. And just like that, it's easy to form and emotional connection with places, people, and actions in the game. And THAT'S what makes living the life so valuable.

Life was always precious. It just needs to be appreciated.

#2 2019-06-27 06:47:25

PXshadow

Re: Life was always valued in OHOL

Wow that's quite compelling I agree. On another note with regards to baby suicides, It truly gave a historical sense of death in the early years of life for primitive societies. I think a good change would be possibly to expand on the potential of death early on, and thereby mix in baby suicides with actual death as to make it not so black and white of a baby choosing to die. As a philosophical hypothetical imagine a baby in real life could choose to press a button in their heads to die within a year, no one would ever know, as you have no memories as a baby that early on. Much in the same way a baby in One life, there is a disconnect between action states and outcomes, I would like for that to be expanded on, as I can see the frustration of knowing a baby chose to kill him/her self rather than be with me. With this change now it's an unknown and as such less aggravating from a player perspective.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#3 2019-06-27 14:09:11

JonySky
Website

You mean when your mother throws you in a bonfire and disappears forever?
or when you die of old after being a great member of the family and throw your bones in the first garbage dump they find, so you do not "bother"?
or when they abandon you in the middle of nowhere?
or when they throw you a bear / wolf?
or when you look at your brother / grandmother / uncle with indifference, as if he were a stranger but passing by there?

OHOL does not have any family links, there are no mechanics for this
The role is only in our way of playing ... in our heads ...

we are only independent players with individual projects that rarely allow us to interact and collaborate with other players / relatives

The suicides of babies before the update were exaggerated ... and the use was totally contrary to a game of survival in family

before the update, although I was the last girl in the family, they kept throwing me to a bonfire without saying a word ...

Last edited by JonySky (2019-06-27 14:16:30)

#4 2019-06-27 14:52:36

ollj

I more likely /die as boy than girl.
I like revitalizing struggling towns, but thats simpler as girl.

---

once my mom as bringing home a basket, i was born and greeted with "you are worth more than that iron" "you are worth" was a neat name

---

I sometimes catch a horse around age 11, because horse hunting and jum hunting go well together around gen 5, but sometimes an unlucky baby gets born too soon while still bring a horse home up to threehundred far, and i name my baby "youre notahorse".
This usually ends in baby suicide, but some babies may just make it home with me.

---

I have given birth to babies, while hunting bears near base for furs and safety, a common gen3 issue, and i often hunt two bears at once, only to sfe some time. Such babies are named "youre fine", and they get sooo scared. cmon its just two bears right next to you at age 0. i kill them while feeding you, just watch me. oh fun times.

---

I have dropped off babies in the bonfire, unlikely to return in time to feed them, iff its worth the risk. and that is often the case as far as i could tell.

---

I have knifed my own daughters and twins to death en masse, but thats just some rare whack roleplay scenarios, usually within an utterly hopeless area, not for farming endstones, just being a suicidal cult for a while.
this only makes sense in hopeless areas, it safes time not trying anything there, and making that choice for others.

---

if i hear a bell, and im an eve, or born to an eve that died early or has no skills tor locale to achieve much, i go for the bell, 2k far on foot, while roughly at age 18.
the is a decent chance to find good stuff on the way, other (young) eves (this is always akward fun), knifes, cloth, carts, ruins. but even if not, its worth a try, on foot.
BUT babies just slow down the travel too much, and they most likely waste half of a minute of your time till they suicide.
This means, i let my first 4 babies starve, after naming them "you are doomed", but I bring with me the baby that gets born within 500 distance to a bell. This happens roughly at age 33.

if i find a good base spot on my way, that behavior gets aborted, in favor of establishing something immobile, even if that only gets me a needle and thread.
no need to let babies die near a good spot.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-27 15:15:08)

Board footer