One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-22 05:55:35

Go! Bwah!

Mod enclosed: hunger increases by actions rather than time

Hey!  So I got to thinking about what would make a super chill server, and I realized that if hunger went off of actions rather than time, you could just hang around and talk if you wanted to without worrying (until you hit sixty, of course).  I got it working and really like it.

I don't want to run a custom server myself right now, but if anybody is interested, here's the patch to server.cpp:

https://pastebin.com/gnStqEjU

Some notes:

* it really makes hunger increase by actions as well as by time, so to use as envisioned, edit minFoodDecrementSeconds.ini and maxFoodDecrementSeconds.ini and set those to 10000 or something
* examples of "actions": pulling a berry off a bush, pulling a branch off a tree, converting wild tules into a tule bundle, pulling a tule bundle off of harvested wild tules, crafting two tule bundles into a basket
* examples of non-actions: eating a berry, dropping/picking up a pulled branch, putting a sharp stone in a basket
* the number of actions it takes to increase hunger is heat-based, so there's still a motivation to create clothing smile
* however, there's no longer a need to set babies by the fire and feed them (assuming you turned off time-based hunger); they can check out the camp freely smile smile smile
* the number of actions it takes to increase hunger ranges between 1.0 and 4.0 by default, but you can create new settings files to override this: minFoodDecrementActions.ini and maxFoodDecrementActions.ini
*** setting minFoodDecrementActions < 1.0 probably has an effect of setting it equal to 1.0.  To fix this would require more invasive changes to the existing code
* I've only tested it on a private server with one player and haven't advanced "civilization" very far, so there could easily be bugs

If anybody actually uses this on a custom server, let me know.  I think it would be more fun and less frantic.

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-03-22 05:59:11)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#2 2018-03-22 15:11:37

Babsy

Re: Mod enclosed: hunger increases by actions rather than time

Sounds great. Maybe contact one of the private server hosts to see if they like to test it out smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=689

Board footer