One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-05 08:31:07

Valareos

Discussion: Family Specific objects

People are talking about wanting trade, of making outsiders more reasonable to a town, even of varying the landscape of what can or can not be built.

What about: Family Specific recipies?

Here me out... what if, when an eve is created, they assigned a random "Style".  When you are born to someone, you inherit their style (similar to Jason's gene idea).

A person with a specific style trait creates items in that style where available. Clothing and buildings come to mind.

Once an item with a specific style is made, it is tradable as normal.

And each style has one item that no other style has, that offers some sort of bonus.  How about a styled well with a smaller chance of going dry?  Or the ability to build a greenhouse that can grow crops without soil?

All style specific buildings of course should be able to break and require someone with that "style" to repair

What would this do?

1. Towns will have different looks.
2. Towns where multiple families have lived would begin to take on a hybrid look as things are built
3. Trading between families becomes a thing.
4. Someone from a different family now has a purpose

To be clear, I am not suggesting this as something that should be done asap, but open for discussion to see what others think.

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#2 2019-06-05 10:05:34

Erudaru

Re: Discussion: Family Specific objects

I love diversity but what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

#3 2019-06-05 10:27:01

Valareos

Actually, I saw it as more of a multiple birds with one stone.

There are people that complain that

1: No reason to trade between families
2: outsiders to a town are usually killed, there is no reason to diversify in a town
3: all towns look the same
4: No reason to go beyond the village you born to

I figured that family based styles may be a good idea to address all of that in one fell swoop

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#4 2019-06-05 10:58:29

Hstrike

Erudaru wrote:

I love diversity but what exactly is the problem you are trying to solve?

It would solve the issue that families lack traditions. This lack of traditions is problematic, because tradition breeds culture. Culture breeds differences and is therefore part of the equation as to why villages don't trade nor wage war upon each other.

Family-specific objects, perhaps statues, could give a new meaning and significance to towns, and foster a sense of community. Why? Because they are rare. Specific. And ultimately, scarce.

In Chapter 7 of Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, which deals with scarcity and is widely available online, Robert Cialdini highlights that:

When our freedom to have something is limited, the item becomes less available, and we experience an increased desire for it. However, we rarely recognize that psychological reactance has caused us to want the item more; all we know is that we want it. Still, we need to make sense of our desire for the item, so we begin to assign it positive qualities to justify the desire.

That is the incentive that the forum has been looking for in the past few days. Rare, unique goods will bring out the most creative and most egoistic nature within us - ultimately creating deeper bonds within families.

Board footer