One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-05 11:38:55

Spoonwood

Re: Problem with Funcles, Duncles, and Frothers

Jason, as you've said, the core idea is that players will care for their offspring.  But, male players can't have offspring.  Caring for offspring can't get fulfilled in the first place without offspring.  Men in the game don't have to worry about the core idea at all.  So people expecting men having a reproductive function in the game *to produce* children would be completely reasonable.  But, I think the whole lineage thing difficult to work out conceptually, given that such motivates players to parent.

There's a simpler alternative, which I remember a (former?) Twitch streamer by the name of timmehexas mentioning people wanting, but I don't recall seeing on the forums.  Just end men.  Make all players female.

But, I'm not so sure that works out if war became viable in the game (it's better than the current system though with respect to war).

Consequently, I think you're going to have to figure this one out.  I think you'll also need to detail the problems, because I think there's more problems than just funcles and frothers (this is a problem with *naming* in a trivial sense.. it's not that big) here, and the other responses here don't seem to realize the complexities that would arise with males having function with respect to reproduction.  This isn't an easy one.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#27 2019-06-05 11:40:52

MistressZues

when the kids from flowers in the attic were growing up did they know their dad was really their great uncle?? no! in game we dont need funcle frothers and other such nonsense the child will only see that person as father they wont know if it was their mothers brother uncle or cousin or even a non-related with the same last name that looked like the family. the father script would take over any other third cousin twice removed bs. we are not asking for men to be the only way the women concieve at all. we are asking make it an option to add a father. if the father dies the woman still has kids. if the women never chooses a father she still has kids. Just want fun way for men to carry on the line. ALSO TWO SHEEP SKINS PLUS THREAD AND NEEDLE=BABY SLING!!! lol ??? Or something!

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#28 2020-03-24 22:02:50

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

People have been clamoring for fatherhood for a long time.  But as you've seen, the only elder men around are your uncles.

One big problem:  in an isolated village, where do these fathers come from?  Won't they all be funcles?  Or even worse (or better??), frothers?

The problem of titles can get solved simply, but terms like 'uncle' and 'brother' disappearing as soon as marriage occurs.  The male just becomes 'husband of X' where X is the name of his wife.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, Futurebird talked about migrating between villages to find marriage partners... but what if this doesn't happen?

The lineage could get reborn via players having the ability to reincarnate in the same spot with selected reincarnation putting players back onto the same family tree.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Or even if it will happen eventually, how do you bootstrap before that?

Adams pop out of nowhere as Eves.  And the longstanding frequency of players getting born as children gets classified as the problem that it has always been.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Players are waiting to join the game, and pregnancy just has to happen no matter what.

Players waiting can be an Eve or an Adam.  Pregnancy is not a human inevitability after all.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, even stranger than the funcle is the "double brother."  If you and your brother have the same father and mother, you are full brothers.  If you have different fathers and the same mother, you are half brothers.

But what if you are your brother's father?

My guess that when a male has reproduced a male offspring with his own offspring, the father just gets recognized as the father.

jasonrohrer wrote:

You must be more than full brothers a that point, right?  Maybe double brothers?  Or one-and-a-half brothers?

No father and son, and everything else doesn't matter as much.  And if you think that's wrong, you might want to check how the states work with respect to child support.  I don't think there's an exception for a man having to pay child support like "well, the child is my brother too."  At the very least, there have existed cases where the law is clear that the man became a father because of a female rapist, yet the man still has to pay child support, so I think that such a complaint like the above wouldn't work in court.

Danish Clinch.

#29 2020-03-25 01:11:15

Morti

#30 2020-03-25 01:23:46

antking:]#

I think that marriage could be viable in the current meta, as it is required to find another family, to survive, and what if when you marry someone, your home is changed, to where you married the person

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#31 2020-03-25 08:11:56

Roosty knife

Alabama am i right folks?

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#32 2020-03-25 14:01:41

Roosty knife

GP_RBvKZ2Oo.jpg

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#33 2020-03-25 14:40:35

Spoonwood

Girl didn't have a father.

Danish Clinch.

#34 2020-03-25 15:23:37

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Girl didn't have a father.

She would if we could marry our sisters.  Which is literally the subject of this thread you necroed.

Pay attention, Spoonwood.   You are losing track of your own arguements.

#35 2020-03-25 16:33:08

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

She would if we could marry our sisters.  Which is literally the subject of this thread you necroed.

The girl could have been the second player on the server.  So, you can't conclude her having a father as necessary.  Fatherhood, even under mating mechanics, doesn't have to mean that every child has a father.  I think antking above was trying to suggest one possible system... *perhaps* something like this:

1. Children get born to women without fatherhood for a while.

2. Once a lineage has reached a certain number of generations or has some level of water technology, babies no longer get born without females having a male partner.

Danish Clinch.

#36 2020-03-25 16:47:46

fug

Just because y'all hoes don't know who your baby daddy is doesn't mean we all don't.

pEXdQ3w.png

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#37 2020-03-25 16:52:44

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

The girl could have been the second player on the server.  So, you can't conclude her having a father as necessary.

She has a father, Spoon.  There's a picture of her father right there. 

Are you blind?

#38 2020-03-25 17:02:55

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Just because y'all hoes don't know who your baby daddy is doesn't mean we all don't.

http://i.imgur.com/pEXdQ3w.png

I did laugh seeing this.  Thanks fug.

Danish Clinch.

#39 2020-03-25 17:08:24

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

The girl could have been the second player on the server.  So, you can't conclude her having a father as necessary.

Are you blind?

A few weeks ago I came across Tarr talking about some bug where a child had a father.  It wasn't this one, but Tarr does comment here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 066#p37066

Alright it's this one: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3749

Fug was joking, but even if taken seriously, that still doesn't support Roosty's claimed father.

Danish Clinch.

#40 2020-03-25 17:23:29

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/pEXdQ3w.png

I found that family tree (after searching for Ree Ree), and Ree Ree didn't have a mom also.

Danish Clinch.

#41 2020-03-25 17:26:29

pein

chimera ants don't need fathers

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#42 2020-03-25 17:30:31

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Are you blind?

A few weeks ago I came across Tarr talking about some bug where a child had a father.  It wasn't this one, but Tarr does comment here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 066#p37066

Alright it's this one: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3749

Fug was joking, but even if taken seriously, that still doesn't support Roosty's claimed father.

I wasn't taking about Fug's picture.   You are getting distracted by unrelated posts.   

I was talking about Roosty's picture.    It clearly shows the girl's father and brother.    How can you claim she doesn't have a father when her father is right there?    That makes no sense.

#43 2020-03-25 18:48:05

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I was talking about Roosty's picture.    It clearly shows the girl's father and brother.    How can you claim she doesn't have a father when her father is right there?    That makes no sense.

No, it doesn't show the man as her father clearly.  That man is some incel or, I suppose, a MGHOW.... naw I'll go with incel for him.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-25 18:49:11)

Danish Clinch.

#44 2020-03-25 19:01:54

The_Anabaptist

Adding Adam will definitely encourage trade.

I can't wait to lock him inside a property fence and have women give me things for the privilege of a few seconds with him.

/s

The_Anabaptist

#45 2020-03-25 19:44:12

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

No, it doesn't show the man as her father clearly.  That man is some incel or, I suppose, a MGHOW.... naw I'll go with incel for him.

He isn't an incel.  He fathered a beautiful girl.   Such a rude thing to say about someone you barely know.

#46 2020-03-25 20:02:52

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

He isn't an incel.  He fathered a beautiful girl.   Such a rude thing to say about someone you barely know.

He's an involuntary celibate.  He's an incel.  I don't see anything rough or unfinished here, since that character didn't father children in the game.

Lying about him fathering a girl is different.

Danish Clinch.

#47 2020-03-25 20:28:28

Roosty knife

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

He's an involuntary celibate.  He's an incel.  I don't see anything rough or unfinished here, since that character didn't father children in the game.

i was joking you know that? Don't take all stuff so seriously

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#48 2020-03-25 20:41:22

Spoonwood

Roosty knife wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Thank you for being clear that you were joking.

Danish Clinch.

#49 2020-03-25 20:58:51

Roosty knife

Spoonwood wrote:
Roosty knife wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Don't be so sarcastic, please.

Makin' Bacon Burritos.

#50 2020-03-25 21:24:23

Spoonwood

Roosty knife wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Don't be so sarcastic, please.

I wasn't speaking sarcastically.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer