One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-06-24 20:50:00

ollj

Re: Annoyances with One Hour One Life

the main pont here is, swapping tools less often saves time, due to longer intervals, and less zigzagging.

long straight lines of stakes have you klick the same spot on your screen (after the 5th stake, while zoomed in fery close) and this is just very fast tool use.
the above is less relevant with the most recent update, where stakes now need less klicks for a road, but its still true, many stakes are useful many times.

no morty, your method is the common but slow version of building a road, because it is a slower rythm. even with 2 players, where tools are not dropped, its still slower (per person) than just placing a lot of stakes first (multiples of 4 ideally). yours not the slowest, but clearly slower, than just placing many stakes first, something bettween 8 and 40 stakes.
its cute to place stones atop of the place where you want to build a road, but also much slower doing so. it shows intent a bit earlier, and thats the useful thing here, conflict evasion, but thats about it. its slower.
stakes are easily transported and made, even before age 12.
stakes are quickly transported between any ends of the road network.
with a common cart, you just right klick 8 times and swap 4 stones with 4 stakes, and move the stakes in the cart, usually over a road that you just made longer. this is just way faster, mostly because it swaps tools a lot less often.

theres simple orders of operations first.
excess stakes end up as kindling.
many stakes sure only make sense if theres enough branches for them and other branch items, which is easily scoutable and knowable.
i only do ling stake lines if:
- theres enogh wild berries nearby (hunger just wastes time) (roadbuilding usually is a low-jum-score thing, you rarely reach 6 jums. even with fast carts)
- theres enough branches far away from the base (those are my stakes first, base conflict evading)
- theres flat stones in biomes nearby (no sense in planning a long road, when getting stones for them takes too long)
- theres something worthwhile to connect a road to. (not making a road for a roads sake)

taking stones from a forge can saves time for everyone, iff the road is near the forge, and if and only if the forge temporarily lacks iron AND steleel or any need to forge anthing (all tools exist at least twice), and if you can quickly refill the stones to the forge after having taken them. (which many people by then easily notice, i bring stones to the road, u use stones aloing the road, this may be stones from anywhere, including forge, papermakers, and cooks, only while they are inactive, for whatever reason.

this was the sutuation wherever i did use flat stones from the forge, to make a road or paper.
but you're on dumb ego trips right now, calling me a troll. thats cute dumb.

i dont need your disapproval or approval, because i sometimes do awesome/original/novel things ingame, far from trolli, grief, or being ewastefull within the game, then reveal my identity, and the reply is generally just "wooha".

--

i have the same problem with cutting a lot of trees, or making a lot of kindling. so many murders for daring to try to swap tools less often and gender is irrelevant, they are just on a dumb power trip, as soon as they have aweapon, they want to dominate.

i love when i get to use more than one saw oon more than one buttlog at once, my record is 5 saws on five buttlogs, and one mallet.
i love when i manage to bond with another player bnefore age three, and get the two of us to cooperate in making planks or building a road.

if you see who babies say "ja" a lot (or any two letter key phrase with the purpose to bave a bond and to find the other person), one of them is likely me, the other one i sure hope to be a stereamer, [james bond] was once his avatar.
i dare to test this, its roughly a one (to three) in hundred chance, that people anonymously anr dandomly meet agaiin days later, and the [birthday paradoox] is not to be undertestimated here, and so far it worked once more; i met [james bond] (or at least someone else who knew the spiel) again, and he had a tragic death.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-24 21:14:18)

#52 2019-06-25 15:36:56

sigmen4020

Well good luck being rightfully killed for stealing flat rocks from the smith and making an unreasonable amount of stakes. (8 to 40 are you serious?)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#53 2019-06-25 17:34:00

Spoonwood

I've built probably significantly long roads (some of which still) exist connecting towns on a low population server.  No, something like a half a dozen or more stakes isn't the way to go.  One or a small few stakes suffices.

Like the road building change has been cool, but it only does so much to improve road building time.  The main hang-up with road building lies in getting the flatties into what will become the road, which takes a while since it's an abysmally low 4 or 6 flatties maximum that fit in a cart (or horsecart).  It's really a grind even with a horsecart, because not enough flatties fit at once.  Stakes?  But you have to get more maple branches, hack them up, and transport them.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer