One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-04 17:53:47

futurebird

Problem: overwhelmed in the late game with things that need to be done

I know a lot of people say "there's nothing to doooo" in the late game (after the engine) but I often feel like there are just too many choices and I don't know which one to do. I see so many items and I think:
-that cistern should be full
-that pump should be run
-there needs to be more stacks of firewood
-we need more rabbits for clothing
-we need to bake all that meat
-those empty stew pots need to be filled with stew
-those rose seeds and roses need to be carted out of town they are taking up too much space on the ground/
-I need to bring logs to complete that floor
-I need stone for that wall
-I need to..

Too much choice can be bad. In the early game you don't have ton of choices. It's clear what you need to do. But later there are so many things to do it feels like everything is falling apart.

I had a really great game recently where I just made charcoal and farmed milkweed. Part of what made that late-game experience good was by the time I died I'd made a whole lot of charcoal and a LOT of milkweed and I knew that someone would see it and use it and that gives you a good feeling.

But to do it I went to the edge of town by the oil well, just having more space made things a lot better. Working in a cluttered smith or bakery presents you with all these objects and every one is a distraction and question:
-should I plant that rose seed?
-should I make chips for that salsa?
-should I make paper for that camera?

It can be paralyzing.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-06-04 18:16:38)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-06-04 18:03:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Problem: overwhelmed in the late game with things that need to be done

Yes, I feel that too every time I'm born into a town.

I'm not sure that there will ever be a solution to this.  It's a pretty natural late-stage civilization problem, and causes a great deal of anxiety in real life.  FOMO (fear of missing out), overload of choices, etc.

And unfortunately, as the late game continues to blow up (if I ever reach 10K things), the problem will only get worse, in general.

But more specifically, there's an issue where the challenge isn't well-defined late game.  Iron slowly runs out, but after you have a diesel water pump, water is sustainable forever.  I think that iron is running out too slowly for that to provide a sense of challenge.

Board footer