One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-04 05:31:13

Valareos

Suggestion: Method for Rebirth to your Descendants

in regards to thread https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5806, I would humbly suggest the following:

Players are automatically born back into a family line if the following holds
1. An Ancestor Grave for your deceased character exists (Should be a traceable variable in the family tree)
2. A member of your family group is at child bearing age
3. Said family is within a certain range of the marked grave (like 1 km or something)

An Ancestor Grave can be made from a Marked Grave, perhaps with a rose wreath that has to be created from Red, white, pink, and blue roses, something like the following:

Red Rose + Pink Rose = Red and Pink Bouquet
White Rose + Blue Rose = White and Blue Bouquet
Red and Pink Bouquet + White and Blue Bouquet = Rose Bouquet
Rose Bouquet + Garland = Rose Wreath
Rose Wreath + Marked Grave = Wreathed Marked Grave
Wreathed Marked Grave + 16 hours = Ancestor Grave
Ancestor Grave + 24 Hours = Ancient Ancestor Grave

This would mean that for a player to be able to be guaranteed a rebirth into that village, those that come after have to mark it as an ancestor grave, and you can only be reborn into it 16 hours after the grave is marked. It also means that nearly 1000 years have passed since you last were in that village.  There is only a 24 hour window to be reborn, and once you are reborn into it, the Ancestor Grave becomes an Ancient Ancestor Grave which no longer meets the criteria.

What this will mean is people who have done good work for the village may have the village marking them to come back.  It also ensures that only family lines who have made it to 16 generations past yours will qualify, making the individual more interested in the survival of their offspring.

I already know our past lives are tracked in the family tree, as I can click on family tree from the game and only see my past lives.  A simple tag in the family tree will be all thats needed instead of a engine rework. 

1. Default variable rebirth = N
2, When Ancestor Stone built, corresponding character's rebirth variable set to Y
3. When Ancestor Stone destroyed, changes to Ancient Ancestor Stone, or family tree dies, set rebirth variable to N

Then, rebirth possibility is a lookup of all characters with the corresponding email with variable set to Y

Thank you for listening to my suggestion.

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#2 2019-06-04 06:06:15

lychee

Re: Suggestion: Method for Rebirth to your Descendants

I'm fairly fond of this general idea (and the other variants that have been proposed in the past). xD

--------

((Don't read beyond this point if you have better things to do)):

I've always been sort of intrigued by the premise of what if the objective of OHOL was the complete opposite of the way Jason designed it. Like: the *only* way to play the game is to be reborn as your own grandchild++. If you failed to have any descendants, there'd be no way you could spawn into the multiplayer server until after some time period reset (in the mean time, you'd have to kill time on a local singleplayer server or a "chill donkeytown" server, maybe with a better "campaign" and some "AI"), after which point you'd never ever see that old family/town again.

It wouldn't be like "Minecraft" (as Jason often says he'd like to avoid) because having a living chain of descendants is pretty hard (in OHOL, lots of family branches die out all the time) and takes a lot of time/energy to raise a kid. In all likelihood, your chain will die out sooner or later.

Instead, there would be a powerful motivation to ensure that your kid(s) do well. You would *want* to teach your kids everything, from avoiding mosquitos or standing on items during a bear attack, how to run a diesel pump, or how to make pads. You'd *want* to help see your son get married, you'd be happy to see grandchildren, and you'd *want* to leave some kind of inheritance/property to your kids and grandkids.

You'd probably want your own kids to do better than your cousin's kids.

If a town is going up in flames, you might put your own family ahead of the rest of the town. Maybe you'll take a wagon and jump ship before it's too late, and look for greener pastures along with your kids. It'd just be you, your spouse (same objective/goals as you), and your children in a household.

It'd be a different feeling to the game, I wonder?

Board footer