One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-02 02:11:41

BerrypickerAF

Down to three families

There are 3 towns to cycle through right now, all of them have topped out on the tech tree, two have lost their name and lineage. They are gigantic and full of clutter. People brag about how they did this or that a few lives before. People now grief just so they can escape these gigantic trash dumps.

Is this what you wanted, Jason?

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-06-02 02:19:25)

#2 2019-06-02 02:14:25

futurebird

Re: Down to three families

When a family "tops out" the tech tree should they just die out?

Is there a cistern by every oil pump?
Is it full?
Is there enough wood by the fire?
Is there ice cream?
Photos?
Are the buildings all complete?
Are the farms optimized?

If it's a mess there is plenty to do. Help clean it up.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-06-02 02:18:33

Keyin

There should be 6-7 lines right now based on server populations. Town I was just in had to kill a couple of eve's because we're right on the border of creating a 7th line. remember that the vast majority of the fertile women will be in those three lines.

The other 3-4 may have 0-1 fertile females left, so your odds of being born to them are really slim and you may need to cycle through the main families with /die a few times before getting into an eve camp.

#4 2019-06-02 02:44:32

dankm00dy

futurebird wrote:

Is it full?
Is there ice cream?
Photos?
Are the farms optimized?

Sorry to say but many people (including myself) are likely to never enjoy late game. Maybe if I felt like late game technology was actually worth the time and effort (planes, cars, photos, radios, etc.), this could change. Instead, if you really care about the longevity of your town, these things can be detrimental to build (this is a major issue IMO). Cars and planes require SOOO much iron and can easily be lost or griefed...I'll take a few extra horses instead. Even baking diverse foods is a waste of time most of the time because of how few people build a yum bonus. You're better of just making pies so your nooby females don't accidentally starve since they can't recognize what is edible.

My impact also feels very little in these advanced civilizations. Of course there are things that I know I can do to help, but most of the time the town is not going to die out if I don't (even if I were to actively try to ruin it). In an early game civilization, I can often 'carry' and try to make an Eve's day. Even if I feel like taking it easy, I know I am always make a difference in an early civilization. It's also really rewarding when I see these civilizations are still around a day later. I honestly don't even follow the lineage of advanced civilizations because they already have gotten there. What does it matter if it goes another 10 or 20 generations?

When I bought this game, part of the appeal was that I could choose my life
with /DIE. Now though it feels like late-game is being forced on me and, to be honest, I have just not been playing much because of it.

For the record, I have been generally happy with the changes to the game the last 8 months or so since I've been playing. Not this change though (at least in its current state). If playing early game becomes a rarity, I will quit the game because I just don't think advanced civilizations are fun.

Last edited by dankm00dy (2019-06-02 03:03:00)

#5 2019-06-02 03:23:23

RodneyC86

dankm00dy wrote:
futurebird wrote:

Is it full?
Is there ice cream?
Photos?
Are the farms optimized?

Sorry to say but many people (including myself) are likely to never enjoy late game. Maybe if I felt like late game technology was actually worth the time and effort (planes, cars, photos, radios, etc.), this could change. Instead, if you really care about the longevity of your town, these things can be detrimental to build (this is a major issue IMO). Cars and planes require SOOO much iron and can easily be lost or griefed...I'll take a few extra horses instead. Even baking diverse foods is a waste of time most of the time because of how few people build a yum bonus. You're better of just making pies so your nooby females don't accidentally starve since they can't recognize what is edible.

My impact also feels very little in these advanced civilizations. Of course there are things that I know I can do to help, but most of the time the town is not going to die out if I don't (even if I were to actively try to ruin it). In an early game civilization, I can often 'carry' and try to make an Eve's day. Even if I feel like taking it easy, I know I am always make a difference in an early civilization. It's also really rewarding when I see these civilizations are still around a day later. I honestly don't even follow the lineage of advanced civilizations because they already have gotten there. What does it matter if it goes another 10 or 20 generations?

When I bought this game, part of the appeal was that I could choose my life
with /DIE. Now though it feels like late-game is being forced on me and, to be honest, I have just not been playing much because of it.

For the record, I have been generally happy with the changes to the game the last 8 months or so since I've been playing. Not this change though (at least in its current state). If playing early game becomes a rarity, I will quit the game because I just don't think advanced civilizations are fun.

Advanced towns feel eerily like modern day cities. More people are getting depressed because each individual matters less and less as population goes up.

Only reason why stabfests don't happen in reality is because consequences and you don't respawn if you die in real life

PS: someone once told me in game, the hardest part of the game is in fact the part where the town has fully advanced, finding meaning in the one hour life. So far everyone fails miserably

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-02 03:33:16)

#6 2019-06-02 03:30:26

futurebird

IDK. I've seen a lot of big towns die. The fire goes out, there are no carrots so no soil the berries die, keeping a town going is just as hard in the late game as in the early game, but most people just don't see it that way... which is why most towns die ... they may be discovered by and Eve and revived ... but to me the real challenge is to have one unbroken line. To do enough in my life that even if the next two generations do nothing one more serious person can bring it back.

I don't build cars or planes I often do the same tasks I do in the early game:

-gather wood
-gather kindling
-make kerosine
-keep the berries alive
-plant crops
-make pies
-make soup

It always feels super urgent to me since I know that people aren't really watching... I was in 4 late stage towns today NONE of them had more than 2 pieces of firewood near the fire. In one the fire went out even though I brought wood.

So I feel like I need to watch everything. The fire, the compost, get the trash out and the wood in.

When you clean a town just a little people suddenly start working. The secret is to not be too worried about taking something "useful" out of town. If it was there when you were a baby and it's still there when you are 25 no one is using it. Dump it.
KszY5v2.jpg
I used to not take items like balls of clay or adobe out of town, but now I do. The space matters more than the off chance that someone might make a bowl or wall. Also: tomatoes are griefing. LOL-- anyway just look at how much space this clutter was taking up. I took the items six at a time and brought back wood each time. It's a good system to get a town de-clogged.

I moved all of this stuff in my last life and people went from chatting at the fire to smithing and baking.

IDK if it was taking the clutter away but I've seen it work that way a few times. It's like magic.

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-06-02 04:15:38

Spoonwood

I remember LostScholar, someone who started the now wiped server12 project, once saying that there is a lot to do in this game.  And there is nothing to do in this game after that.  At least that's the basic idea.  I think Tarr thinks the same way, and my experience in low population play kind of comes as the same.  TONS to do at the beginning, and then, unless you're more creative and inventive than me or like to do basic maintained, there doesn't feel like there's much to do.

RodneyC86 wrote:

PS: someone once told me in game, the hardest part of the game is in fact the part where the town has fully advanced, finding meaning in the one hour life. So far everyone fails miserably

I've seen a few people do very creative designs on the pre-wipe server12 that leads me to think otherwise.  But, griefing was pretty much non-existent, so I might oversimplify.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-06-02 04:27:17

dankm00dy

I see your point futurebird, but, honestly, these things aren't enough for me. I've done just about everything in the game at one point or another outside of making cars, planes, radios, and a few of the more complicated food items. I have murdered griefers (probably the worst part about advanced civilizations). I would even say I have in fact saved a few advanced cities. These things just don't give me the same satisfaction as early civilizations though. The only reason I ever stay in a city anymore is to practice high tech smithing but even this is often just a headache because of all the people and clutter.

I enjoy early game because it's fun to start from scratch. I enjoy the pressure of survival because if I die, especially as a girl, I know my family could very well die out (much less likely in a city). I like that I will still starve at times if I get careless (never happens in a city). I LOVE that there are rarely griefers in early civs. I like that going out and finding iron is actually dangerous and even getting a few ore can make the difference in whether your civilization survives. I like that I need to make priority choices that really matter (i.e. Do I have time to make a backpack before I look for iron? Should I expand the farm or try to make clothing? Do I gather bananas when I forsee a food shortage or do I have time to rush out a pot of stew).

This urgency just isn't there for me in cities. We need more changes like the Natural Spring update.  That actually motivated me to learn how to smith an oil rig because I was in some villages where I was the only one who had a clue how to even start it (and the deep well was dry). I had always seen as a luxury item before the update but now it is required just like pottery, tools, and sheep pens.  I think there needs to be more "technological check points" like these, although I am not particularly sure what the changes would be. I'll have to think about it.

Last edited by dankm00dy (2019-06-02 04:38:38)

#9 2019-06-02 04:27:23

Spoonwood

Apparently futurebird doesn't appreciate beans in terms of bean burritos, bean tacos, stew, or other uses I've forgotten.

Getting rid of worms by fishing doesn't take much time in my experience once you have the pole and hook, which I'm not sure is there or not.

I see niter.  Did the town have a radio?  Have you made a radio futurebird?  You really think that's clutter lying around town?  I'll remind you that need the radios to talk to anyone outside of your lineage.  You're going to need like half a dozen niter or something, and it's not easy to see in a desert exactly (and someone was probably in a hot desert while looking for it).  You don't want to just process the niter right away either.  As soon as you put niter into a clay bowl, the clay bowl is done in terms of doing anything else than eventually becoming a daniel cell, and can't get turned into an empty clay bowl anymore (unless you do a camera thing I think), so processing niter right away isn't smart.  Not finding enough niter can hold a radio maker back, and a radio maker needs niter, malachite, calamite, glasswort, lots of kindling, paper, alum, and I think some other things I don't recall offhand.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-06-02 04:34:30

TheNoddude

In the same time, these three families declared war on each other, started to build defenses and sending soldiers to raid and kill, the car family sent a messenger to my town and made the babies translate. The Yun family had an actual monarchy that seemed to work for a while, with knights of the round table carrying out her orders. The towns that are up now are quite organized for being as big as they are. Roads are being built but towns are a bit too far from each other I think. The Yuns did manage to create one big city with small towns connected to it, that was cool!

I'm starting to see a lot of interesting things happen. More scenarios (as jason is on about) are starting to form.

#11 2019-06-02 05:48:49

RodneyC86

Spoonwood wrote:

Apparently futurebird doesn't appreciate beans in terms of bean burritos, bean tacos, stew, or other uses I've forgotten.

Getting rid of worms by fishing doesn't take much time in my experience once you have the pole and hook, which I'm not sure is there or not.

I see niter.  Did the town have a radio?  Have you made a radio futurebird?  You really think that's clutter lying around town?  I'll remind you that need the radios to talk to anyone outside of your lineage.  You're going to need like half a dozen niter or something, and it's not easy to see in a desert exactly (and someone was probably in a hot desert while looking for it).  You don't want to just process the niter right away either.  As soon as you put niter into a clay bowl, the clay bowl is done in terms of doing anything else than eventually becoming a daniel cell, and can't get turned into an empty clay bowl anymore (unless you do a camera thing I think), so processing niter right away isn't smart.  Not finding enough niter can hold a radio maker back, and a radio maker needs niter, malachite, calamite, glasswort, lots of kindling, paper, alum, and I think some other things I don't recall offhand.

Yeah I would have saved the beans in a bowl
I have never attempted a radio, it's daunting and I can see why many would see them as clutter if they don't know how to make one.

#12 2019-06-02 05:52:08

RodneyC86

Spoonwood wrote:

I remember LostScholar, someone who started the now wiped server12 project, once saying that there is a lot to do in this game.  And there is nothing to do in this game after that.  At least that's the basic idea.  I think Tarr thinks the same way, and my experience in low population play kind of comes as the same.  TONS to do at the beginning, and then, unless you're more creative and inventive than me or like to do basic maintained, there doesn't feel like there's much to do.

RodneyC86 wrote:

I've seen a few people do very creative designs on the pre-wipe server12 that leads me to think otherwise.  But, griefing was pretty much non-existent, so I might oversimplify.

So why have people turned degenerate of late?

I've been on the one city server once. Just to check it out, it was AWESOME, that server hasn't wiped in months I think

maybe the constant server wipe on BS2 has disillusioned players?

#13 2019-06-02 05:55:04

Dodge

It's way to easy to progress in tech, there is no challenge to get to higher tech, all you need is the materials.

If everyone can make a cart, the value of that cart is down to it's materials and trade becomes unviable.

So late game happens very fast and most objects have little value.

#14 2019-06-02 14:00:56

Spoonwood

RodneyC86 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

RodneyC86 wrote:

So why have people turned degenerate of late?

I've been on the one city server once. Just to check it out, it was AWESOME, that server hasn't wiped in months I think

maybe the constant server wipe on BS2 has disillusioned players?

Xenophobia and griefer Eves have soured a lot of people on BS2 I think.  If you're asking me my opinion about people since the latest update, I don't have enough feedback from other people (I haven't played on bs2 since swords came into existence... I have played elsewhere).  I have seen in the discord though people saying things like BerryPicker before he made this post.  Others have said it made for a good update (and it got said in such a way that it seemed like they were saying so after playing).

Danish Clinch.

#15 2019-06-02 14:51:20

futurebird

RodneyC86 wrote:

I have never attempted a radio, it's daunting and I can see why many would see them as clutter if they don't know how to make one.

I have made a radio and the town had a receiver and transmitter. If someone wanted to make another they can hunt for them.

I put the beans in a bowl at first, but later, like 8 years later I found a little girl emptying the bowl because she needed it for berries (there were plenty of bowls in the town, but I guess she didn't see them.) So I just took them out of town.

At this point I'm like "use it or it goes in the trash" *every* item in the game is useful in some way if you let that bother you you will never clear enough space for the town to get running again. Look at how many tiles *in the center of town* were filled with junk no one was using!

Also if trash areas just out of town become common you'll know to look for any little junky item you need out there before going on a journey for resources.

I once died because I had a rose seed in my hand and couldn't put it down without picking something else up. Clutter is deadly.

---
omnem cibum costis

#16 2019-06-02 14:54:59

RodneyC86

futurebird wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

I have made a radio and the town had a receiver and transmitter. If someone wanted to make another they can hunt for them.

I put the beans in a bowl at first, but later, like 8 years later I found a little girl emptying the bowl because she needed it for berries (there were plenty of bowls in the town, but I guess she didn't see them.) So I just took them out of town.

At this point I'm like "use it or it goes in the trash" *every* item in the game is useful in some way if you let that bother you you will never clear enough space for the town to get running again. Look at how many tiles *in the center of town* were filled with junk no one was using!

Also if trash areas just out of town become common you'll know to look for any little junky item you need out there before going on a journey for resources.

I once died because I had a rose seed in my hand and couldn't put it down without picking something else up. Clutter is deadly.

Lol, I totally feel you on the dying due to clutter. I got killed by a bone needle once because I couldn't see it until its too late and I did not eat in time.

Now IRL, I get even more triggered when I see a litterbug, I yell internally everytime I see the car in front of me doing it (Our countryfolk have shitty attitudes with littering)

Board footer