#2 2019-05-29 12:18:46

Potjeh

Re: STOTRAGE UPDATE

plox

#3 2019-05-29 12:33:11

Don Holm

plox
The game is super annoying with all the items scattered around, please storage!

#4 2019-05-29 12:40:45

RodneyC86

i hate to  jump on this stupid leetspeak bandwagons, but i'm frustrated enough to participate in this travesty

so more storage plox

#5 2019-05-29 12:41:32

futurebird

plox

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-05-29 12:49:35

sigmen4020

Plox for storgae

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-05-29 12:49:55)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2019-05-29 13:50:36

lychee

The is misspelling of STOTRAGE a meme? Am I that culturally inept? XD

plox for me then?

#8 2019-05-29 13:52:35

hash928

plox

#9 2019-05-29 14:03:50

Bob 101

Ploxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#10 2019-05-29 14:13:37

Friendly Isopod

Plox. I don't know what that means, but I'll say it for storage.

#11 2019-05-29 14:46:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You can currently store 12 small items per tile, or four large items.  And many other items that are used in bulk are stackable.

Because of the way that the engine and the database works, more dense storage than that is pretty taxing.  Remember, when we fetch a map chunk for someone, we need to tell them about everything that is stored in each tile.  The chunk sent is currently 32x30 tiles, or 960 pieces of info if there are no containers there (even if there are multi-item stacks, those are just one object ID).  The current biggest container is a box with four baskets, housing 12 items, or 17 pieces of info for that tile.  If the whole chunk was filled that way, we'd have 16,320 pieces of information to fetch and send for a map chunk.

Anyway, it's clear that storing 50 or 100 items in a given tile is not going to happen.

Now, obviously, other games allow you to store 100s or even 1000s of items in a container.  They do this by not making the items visible until you open the container, and giving you a separate interface to browse the container.  This game has a different philosophy:  everything visible and concrete, all the time.  No inventory.  No separate screens.  No "crafting bench" that you pull up to make something.  You craft on the ground, and everyone around you can watch what you're doing.

I've heard complaints about storage for a long time, of course.

On the other hand, I've lived many lives in villages where there were very few storage boxes.  These are not hard to make.  I spent my most recent life making some, and getting all the junk up off the ground and organized.

That said, I may be missing something.

Is the main complaint that there are simply some things that can't be stored, at all?  Or some things that would be nice to stack, that don't stack?

I see this, about making more stacks:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/269

I created this issue about the storage issue specifically.  Please help to fill it in:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/319

#12 2019-05-29 14:54:37

Potjeh

The problem with boxes is that they're hard to access, because there's no room for dropping the baskets due to all the clutter. That, and baskets being too resource intensive combined with them decaying makes sure they're always in short supply. A shelf that stores nine items and doesn't decay would be vastly superior to a box of baskets even though that stores twelve items.

Now, the baskets might not seem that expensive given that two straw isn't hard to grow, but the problem is that you're creating two tiles of grain clutter in the process, and when you add the third tile you need for the basket itself you're basically just spinning in place if you try to reduce clutter by making straw baskets. This can be solved by making grain stackable, preferably within a storage item like a crock pot or a cloth bag, and by giving us a decent sink for grain. How about making pigs eat grain instead of corn, and adding recipes that make pigs actually useful?

#13 2019-05-29 14:58:55

FeignedSanity

jasonrohrer wrote:

That said, I may be missing something.

Is the main complaint that there are simply some things that can't be stored, at all?  Or some things that would be nice to stack, that don't stack?

I see this, about making more stacks:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/269

I created this issue about the storage issue specifically.  Please help to fill it in:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues/319

My biggest problem is that baskets explode when inside chests. The chest is wonderful, amazing, fantastic, but if you put a basket in there, it becomes a time bomb (like baskets). This is part of the "seemingly ignored" suggestion I was talking about in the other thread.

Suggestion I was referring to: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6547

Other than that, rope is an expensive commodity, and buckets are very valuable. Hard to use such an expensive resource on a lot of boxes when buckets are so valuable.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-29 15:16:57)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#14 2019-05-29 15:01:26

FeignedSanity

Potjeh wrote:

Now, the baskets might not seem that expensive given that two straw isn't hard to grow, but the problem is that you're creating two tiles of grain clutter in the process, and when you add the third tile you need for the basket itself you're basically just spinning in place if you try to reduce clutter by making straw baskets. This can be solved by making grain stackable, preferably within a storage item like a crock pot or a cloth bag, and by giving us a decent sink for grain. How about making pigs eat grain instead of corn, and adding recipes that make pigs actually useful?

Personally, I've always hated the argument about stuff like "grain clutter". Mash that shit in a bowl, add some water, and cook it. It's basically free food. You don't need a sink for grain, people need to eat it lol.

#15 2019-05-29 15:04:16

Booklat1

There are 3 reasons we want more storage tbh

1 baskets decay (they should, but longer-lasting options are wanted)
2 we want diverse storage, barrels for food, wardrobes for clothing, dining tables so noobs can know what is food, sacks to store/carry grain
3  yeah, there is inconsistency in what can be stored

plz, check this reddit thread compilation I made https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6082
Most ideas are for novelty, useful storage, rather than bulk storage

#16 2019-05-29 15:04:22

Potjeh

There's not enough people on the server to eat all the bread it'd take to remove the grain clutter from making sufficient baskets for one small family.

#17 2019-05-29 15:04:50

RodneyC86

Potjeh wrote:

The problem with boxes is that they're hard to access, because there's no room for dropping the baskets due to all the clutter. That, and baskets being too resource intensive combined with them decaying makes sure they're always in short supply. A shelf that stores nine items and doesn't decay would be vastly superior to a box of baskets even though that stores twelve items.

I second this, baskets becomes so scarce by the 20+ generation everytime. Then I want to make some, then im staring at an ocean of wheat seeds and I just go screw that. If I make a lot of baskets it can also look like I'm griefing the farm area.

We can turn the flour to bread but that is also a problem since you can't stack bread, suddenly the room is full of sliced bread. Bleh.

Make the crock pot able to contain 10 flour , like a bucket equivalent but flour , this will make using baskets beyond the 20 th generation more sustainable

PS: Also can we turn pork into bacon?

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-29 15:08:39)

#18 2019-05-29 15:07:42

FeignedSanity

Potjeh wrote:

There's not enough people on the server to eat all the bread it'd take to remove the grain clutter from making sufficient baskets for one small family.

This is just factually incorrect. Besides, you can eat up bread surprisingly fast.

#19 2019-05-29 15:09:37

Potjeh

Have you ever actually tried? Totally impossible. You'll be lucky to get like ten baskets made in a lifetime if you take care of the grain, and ten baskets is a drop in the ocean when it comes to actual needs of a village.

#20 2019-05-29 15:09:59

FeignedSanity

Booklat1 wrote:

baskets decay (they should, but longer-lasting options are wanted)

I disagree that baskets should decay. I think they should break if you're using them (taking stuff out, putting it back in), and remain (like chests) if you're not.

Full details posted here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6547

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-29 15:12:43)

#21 2019-05-29 15:12:08

FeignedSanity

Potjeh wrote:

Have you ever actually tried? Totally impossible. You'll be lucky to get like ten baskets made in a lifetime if you take care of the grain, and ten baskets is a drop in the ocean when it comes to actual needs of a village.

I have actually, have you? Any time I see grain piles I turn that stuff straight into bread. It gets eaten up really quickly. Now the problem comes when people have way too much food (which happens fairly often). When you got three crock pots of stew and 24 pies, sometimes people neglect eating the bread. That's the only time it lasts, from personal experience.

#22 2019-05-29 15:14:04

RodneyC86

FeignedSanity wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

This is just factually incorrect. Besides, you can eat up bread surprisingly fast.

I dont think making 8 breads every time I need to make a boxful or cartfuk of baskets is a good tradeoff , people need the plates for pies for one thing, a vastly superior food.

And I don't need a resident bread muncher to clear the plates. His job is to be naked just outside the kitchen to continuously much down on bread. Totally weird shit

PS: an alternative to making flour stack would be actually to make sliced bread packable. It looks odd and this will undermine the point of pies

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-29 15:17:15)

#23 2019-05-29 15:21:46

futurebird

Wouldn't storage that works for only certain items be less taxing?

Let us put 6 bowls of flour in a crock pot.
Let us stack poop
Let us put more types of bowls in carts and baskets. I've had a github issue about this forever, there are all kinds of items that won't go in carts and boxes that should.
Let us put rubber tires on horse carts and store 6 items
Let us simply stack seeds on the ground.
Let us stack corn like carrots before it's shucked
Let us stack 4 squash in a neat pile
Let us put things like carnitas in to trash pits to empty the bowl
Let us put salt in a crock pot, say 6 bowls of salt so you could streamline production.
Let us make a crock of vinegar, with several bowls of vinegar
give us an upgraded version of the basket that lasts longer
let us put shelves on walls, even if they only hold 4 items like boxes this would make houses much more enjoyable.

Things like this would really help.

It'd be great to spend time making a few crocks of flour for the bakery and then the baker could just scoop out what she needs. It'd work like water buckets.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-29 15:24:38)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#24 2019-05-29 15:24:24

FeignedSanity

RodneyC86 wrote:

I dont think making 8 breads every time I need to make a boxful or cartfuk of baskets is a good tradeoff , people need the plates for pies for one thing, a vastly superior food.

And I don't need a resident bread muncher to clear the plates. His job is to be naked just outside the kitchen to continuously much down on bread. Totally weird shit

Why not? Just make more plates if you're in such low supply. Baskets last for 10 hours. The bread you would make from those baskets wouldn't last nearly as long, I promise you. I don't get why it'd be a bad trade off. If your goal is to only make more baskets, then the bread is basically free food at that point. Why complain about free food? Because it takes up plates? That's a silly reason IMO.

Also, you don't need a "resident bread muncher" any more than you need a resident berry muncher. You just eat it. Bread is usually the first thing I always eat and it usually disappears pretty quickly; and I certainly don't dedicate my life to just sitting outside the bakery munching bread all day, I assure you.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-29 15:27:01)

#25 2019-05-29 15:26:31

RodneyC86

futurebird wrote:

Wouldn't storage that works for only certain items be less taxing?

Let us put 6 bowls of flour in a crock pot.
Let us stack poop
Let us put more types of bowls in carts and baskets. I've had a github issue about this forever, there are all kinds of items that won't go in carts and boxes that should.
Let us put rubber tires on horse carts and store 6 items
Let us simply stack seeds on the ground.
Let us stack corn like carrots before it's shucked
Let us stack 4 squash in a neat pile
Let us put things like carnitas in to trash pits to empty the bowl
Let us put salt in a crock pot, say 6 bowls of salt so you could streamline production.
Let us make a crock of vinegar, with several bowls of vinegar

Things like this would really help.

It'd be great to spend time making a few crocks of flour for the bakery and then the baker could just scoop out what she needs. It'd work like water buckets.

Yeah man, what if there is a new category of item Jason? Call them tiny items, any items in this category are automatically stackable up to 6 on any square.

I hate being blocked by the odd gooseberry seed, rose hip or bone needle, it is bigger infuriating when you are one pip to starving. I keep thinking how am I killed by being blocked by something the size of a toenail? Granted 6 toenails is still small but it will be more visible

Board footer