One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-28 12:15:02

paulof

Please, read my suggestion.

I would like to say i've seen too much hate in the game, i've been killed because i did a devious face as baby, wtf. People are so afraid about griefers that they are killing everyone, doing exactly what griefers want, eves are being killed like sheeps. We have two choices, TRY to live in multicultural society as we once had, accepting our different languages, trying to learn with each other... or make swords and kill ourselves. Usually people choose the easiest decision taken by fear, and the ones turning this game in a bloody pool are ourselves.

Here is what i suggest

I've seen people talking about making prisons and people being killed unjustly, what if we could use the nets to arrest people? Once you throw the net on someone he or she wouldn't move, wouldn't starve and wouldn't have children, that could stop griefers and wouldn't allow them to simply die and grief another town and could stop people from being killed unjustly, since you are traped you can be judged. So you might say "but griefers could use the nets too", yeah, but that wouldn't kill you and someone from the village could simply free you. Or you might say "well, another griefer could simply free the traped griefer", yes, thats right, but being a student of risk management i can say it is impossible to completely eliminate risks, but it's possible to soften them. I think it's a fair solution and easier than make prisons.

#2 2019-05-28 12:35:31

RodneyC86

Re: Please, read my suggestion.

paulof wrote:

I would like to say i've seen too much hate in the game, i've been killed because i did a devious face as baby, wtf. People are so afraid about griefers that they are killing everyone, doing exactly what griefers want, eves are being killed like sheeps. We have two choices, TRY to live in multicultural society as we once had, accepting our different languages, trying to learn with each other... or make swords and kill ourselves. Usually people choose the easiest decision taken by fear, and the ones turning this game in a bloody pool are ourselves.

Here is what i suggest

I've seen people talking about making prisons and people being killed unjustly, what if we could use the nets to arrest people? Once you throw the net on someone he or she wouldn't move, wouldn't starve and wouldn't have children, that could stop griefers and wouldn't allow them to simply die and grief another town and could stop people from being killed unjustly, since you are traped you can be judged. So you might say "but griefers could use the nets too", yeah, but that wouldn't kill you and someone from the village could simply free you. Or you might say "well, another griefer could simply free the traped griefer", yes, thats right, but being a student of risk management i can say it is impossible to completely eliminate risks, but it's possible to soften them. I think it's a fair solution and easier than make prisons.

I suggested something similar in the form of shackles and was shot down from all sides, safe one or two persons.

How is a non-lethal sword more toxic than an actual lethal sword?

#3 2019-05-28 13:28:42

Booklat1

RodneyC86 wrote:
paulof wrote:

Here is what i suggest

I suggested something similar in the form of shackles and was shot down from all sides, safe one or two persons.

because this isnt real life, death = respawn

I'd rather die than get stuck with a bunch of noobs and nets.

You guys have been playing for a short while so pretty please, do as Jason should and start paying attention to when the community says something will turn terrible.

We knew cooldownless swords were insanity, fences useless and we also know locking down people makes them feel terrible.  They'll stay sometimes for the hope of being released, but griefers have 0 need to wait, they'll die if not fed and respawn. If a mechanic made to punish griefers hits normal players its not working so well.

#4 2019-05-28 13:42:27

RodneyC86

Booklat1 wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
paulof wrote:

Here is what i suggest

You guys have been playing for a short while so pretty please, do as Jason should and start paying attention to when the community says something will turn terrible.

We knew cooldownless swords were insanity, fences useless and we also know locking down people makes them feel terrible.  They'll stay sometimes for the hope of being released, but griefers have 0 need to wait, they'll die if not fed and respawn. If a mechanic made to punish griefers hits normal players its not working so well.

In my version, this lockdown, only takes away ability to use swords, bows and knives and only that! That's all! Otherwise you still can do most things, anything really except potential stabbing of innocents. A griefer would probably suicide immediately after they are caught cause they can't do their ultimate favourite thing. Sure they can still grief material but at least they are more visible with shackles on

Edit: Then again, shackle wars might ensue, but then again only griefers would pull that kind of stunt

Edit 2: Since I'm getting backlash again, this will be the last time I speak of this.  I still yearn for a more moderate in between rather than just Kill or Friend

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-28 14:35:07)

#5 2019-05-28 15:10:18

paulof

Booklat1 wrote:

i disagree with you, every weapon against griefers can be used against good players, unless we had GMs, but i don't think that's the purpose of the game.

You would be stuck only if the entire village wants you to be. And as i said, it is impossible to completely eliminate risks.

And even if griefers are willing to wait an entire life to griefer again (as i said they wouldn't starve while traped) the violence in the game would reduce for the time they were traped.

And im not new in the game, but started using the forum recently. Don't underestimate the new players, they may have really good ideas.

Last edited by paulof (2019-05-28 15:12:53)

#6 2019-05-28 15:27:12

RodneyC86

paulof wrote:
Booklat1 wrote:

i disagree with you, every weapon against griefers can be used against good players, unless we had GMs, but i don't think that's the purpose of the game.

You would be stuck only if the entire village wants you to be. And as i said, it is impossible to completely eliminate risks.

And even if griefers are willing to wait an entire life to griefer again (as i said they wouldn't starve while traped) the violence in the game would reduce for the time they were traped.

And im not new in the game, but started using the forum recently. Don't underestimate the new players, they may have really good ideas.

Honestly I think that’s too much of an effect, imagine if you are out on an errand and an eve manage to net you down. And the village is so far no one can rescue you.i agree this will stop griefers some bit but I think if even one innocent player has to go through pretty much but only stare at a screen with your character trapped is too much.

#7 2019-05-28 15:43:55

paulof

RodneyC86 wrote:

Honestly I think that’s too much of an effect, imagine if you are out on an errand and an eve manage to net you down. And the village is so far no one can rescue you.i agree this will stop griefers some bit but I think if even one innocent player has to go through pretty much but only stare at a screen with your character trapped is too much.

Ok, I agree innocent players would go through this and it would be really frustrating, but I truly believe the advantages would outweigh the disadvantages. But yeah, I can't prove unless we test in game. Besides your idea is good too, If people were interested we could find a better solution.

#8 2019-05-28 16:55:43

DestinyCall

I would like to see a non-lethal weapon/tool added to the game give more options for dealing the problems beyond out-right killing.    Batons that stun or slow people, like the snowball, for example.   

But whatever non-lethal weapons get added will need to be very carefully balanced and play-tested to minimize abuse and unintended consequences.     If someone can imprison you without allowing you to die, that can be abused by griefers to ruin someone else's game just as easily as it can be used by villagers to ruin the fun of a griefer.

RodneyC86 wrote:

To be fair, you proposed slavery.    Did you expect people to be happy?

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-05-28 16:57:05)

#9 2019-05-28 16:56:43

OminousBladeBlank

I think it would work with the nets, but there will always be ways for griefers to abuse anti-griefing mechanics. For instance, griefers can stack up significant curse counts on INNOs if the yare grouped up, or there is an inter-family war across multiple towns.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#10 2019-05-28 17:56:38

SpiritBomb32

I think that one of the hardest way of developing new things to combat griefers is how the griefers would use that on others.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#11 2019-05-28 18:05:54

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I would like to see a non-lethal weapon/tool added to the game give more options for dealing the problems beyond out-right killing.    Batons that stun or slow people, like the snowball, for example.   

But whatever non-lethal weapons get added will need to be very carefully balanced and play-tested to minimize abuse and unintended consequences.     If someone can imprison you without allowing you to die, that can be abused by griefers to ruin someone else's game just as easily as it can be used by villagers to ruin the fun of a griefer.

RodneyC86 wrote:

To be fair, you proposed slavery.    Did you expect people to be happy?

I like your line of thinking Destiny.  Maybe a long shaft could knock a weapon out of someone's hand, but it only works on a weapon, it won't work on a hoe for example.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2019-05-28 18:08:40

paulof

SpiritBomb32 wrote:

I think that one of the hardest way of developing new things to combat griefers is how the griefers would use that on others.

Exactly, that's the main question. I think we could improve my net idea in that way. Besides i think players should fear something. Fear of death in the game its nothing, you die and starts over. What makes us follow the rules is the fear. What if you couldnt move for the rest of your life? thats what i purposed with the net

#13 2019-05-28 18:13:50

paulof

Spoonwood wrote:

I like your line of thinking Destiny.  Maybe a long shaft could knock a weapon out of someone's hand, but it only works on a weapon, it won't work on a hoe for example.

That's really good too, but you would have to be fast and grab the weapon first from the ground to stop the fight.

Edit: Besides, if you try to kill the griefer he could do the same with the long shaft, and i think the fight would last more than we wish. I don't know man, its almost impossble to think about something griefers couldn't use against good players.

Last edited by paulof (2019-05-28 18:17:36)

#14 2019-05-29 03:35:40

RodneyC86

paulof wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

That's really good too, but you would have to be fast and grab the weapon first from the ground to stop the fight.

Edit: Besides, if you try to kill the griefer he could do the same with the long shaft, and i think the fight would last more than we wish. I don't know man, its almost impossble to think about something griefers couldn't use against good players.

Going by how internet and cyber security has developed over the years , if someone wants to screw with you, they will, no matter how tight you make the defense. Doesn't mean we don't keep trying, but we need to be careful something we add doesn't easily become another griefer weapon

I still think some way to disarm someone for a good period is one good way, perhaps I shouldn't suggest something that has slavery connotations. Again, apologies to anyone offended here earlier, it was off base

Something that prevents use of kill command in someone would be nice since let's face it, only griefers would need to use that in any regularity. Guards and civilians would probably use it once or twice max unless they somehow, somewaygit caught up in a griefer horde ( correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe griefers comes in huge groups yet)

Now after being disarmed , (permanent or not, I don't know how it should be, I think community should give idea here)
Any innocent player accidentally disarmed likely will not feel too bad? They still can do what they typically do, even use knife for non kill purpose. They just can't help defend a town anymore

#15 2019-05-29 04:25:27

futurebird

paulof wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

This. If you are a pacifist you aren't going to win in an arms race. LOL. Constructive players will never be as skilled in using these tools as griefers who see them as toys. I don't think adding more ways to harm players is the way forward. It will just be used to set up "funny" slave camps and god knows what else.

Constructive players need constructive tools: watch towers, better tool storage (would help with theft!), a less griefer friendly curse system, and most of all constructive players win by just outnumbering the chaos agents. I was just in a town that was a looted mess. Not all of the issues were due to griefing but in one generation we transformed the place, brought it back to life. Found the hidden tools, organized the bakery, make food, stacked up wood and got things humming.

As long as we outnumber the griefers by a large margin they are really ineffective.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#16 2019-05-29 10:19:35

Mushroom

How about we make handcuffs out of steel? This won't allow wild eves randomly catch players that are outside the village. Still, quite accesable and affordable way for small villages/towns.
I know that you could just catch a normal person and ruin innocent person's game, but actually, I think that with the handcuffs/nets we should establish some sort of a trial mechanic. Maybe not a game mechanic, but rather a way of dealing with griefers by words. Maybe add a judge's hat or something. If there is no proof, the person is set free - the villagers should agree on that. I think that major griefings would be reduced by this, as catching the wild eve that slaughters everyone in the middle of the village doesn't really need any proof to make her a prisoner. Of course you could catch another player, but without any fair trial nobody will really trust the kidnaper and would just free them. If there is a person whom everybody knows that they were griefing, then that won't be an issue to just lock them down. Also, if somebody locks you outside the village, then you can just starve and this works just as being killed now, only takes a bit more time. There might be however, a very dedicated griefer who's goal is to make you suffer as long as possible and comes back to feed you, but I don't think that it will be major issue or if it will happen at all.

We could work out something like "F for food" but with trials - common way to deal with a problem, that's easy to use. We should get a tool for disarming and trapping players to get to that. It is already known, and was mentioned in this thread a couple times - we can't solve the griefing problem, we can only soften it, so there will be victims of every anti-grief mechanic. We just have to count advantages and disadvantages and decide if it's worth it. For me the nets/handcuffs are worth a try.

Last edited by Mushroom (2019-05-29 10:21:24)

Dickbutt

#17 2019-05-29 14:46:50

Bob 101

Booklat1 wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
paulof wrote:

Here is what i suggest

That's exactly the point, Death isn't an actual punishment.

#18 2019-05-29 16:04:34

Booklat1

paulof wrote:

Don't underestimate the new players, they may have really good ideas.

ever heard of lurk moar?

I'm not underestimating you ffs but after months seeing these threads here, and how broken stuff that comes from it can be, im fairly certain we get to advice caution.

Its never fun when jason adds a broken feature that takes a month to fix and become only kinda less broken. Its not even his fault, mostly this stuff is hard to balance and implement and easy af to implement.

which was my main point that you skipped over. Its not about something being exploitable, all is exploitable, the issue is locking players is an exploit that only harms good players. Griefers quit when they cant kill a line and good players stay because they want to help. See how degenerate this is?

Last edited by Booklat1 (2019-05-29 16:04:56)

#19 2019-06-12 11:02:56

CatX

Handcuffs could work something like this:

When you place handcuffs on another person, you're left with the key.
You cannot drop the key for a while, so you can't eat. Also, you're slowed down the same way as if you killed someone.

The handcuffed person keeps their speed, and can run back to the forge where someone can use a hammer to free them.

That gives the 'constable' a chance to explain what happened. Ultimately a third party then becomes the judge of who to believe. The potential griefer has been captured in a non-lethal way, and the village has a little more time to decide together whether to kill said person if they believe the constable.

To prevent one person from imprisoning a whole city this way, they could simply be unable to capture anyone else until the first prisoner is freed.

#20 2019-06-13 21:24:09

TofuInjection

The problem as far as I see it, is that it's all a waste of time.

If I stun and imprison a griefer, the griefer will alt-f4 and get into a new game.  Same as if I had killed them, except way more steps for me.

The above idea with the handcuffs is intriguing, but with a similar problem;  Basically it is a system where griefers are given a chance to explain themselves, but people playing properly are inconvenienced.  A griefer will just use the knife.  A proper player will use the handcuffs and bleed time out of their life trying to explain themselves.

#21 2019-06-13 22:25:36

paulof

TofuInjection wrote:

If I stun and imprison a griefer, the griefer will alt-f4 and get into a new game.  Same as if I had killed them

Well, you don't actually die if you leave the game, unless they have changed how it works, but what happens is that your character keeps there til he starves, but if the prisoner wouldn't starve like an effect of being traped he would have to wait until death of old age to begin another life.

Board footer