One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-28 15:34:49

Amon

Re: irrelevant updates/content being made new/better

Twisted wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

The thing is, I've made those pine panels in real life, and it's a ton of work.

There's an aspect of this game that is a "real maker aesthetic," and I've kept that going for most things.

I feel you, and I think that's a really cool part of the game (it's the main thing that drew me to the game initially, actually), but what I bothers me a bit is the difference between various items in the same subset. When it comes to wall you have the pine walls which do have this real maker aesthetic, but then you also have adobe and stone which are extremely simplified, stone walls especially - you don't even need mortar for those.

I'm probably in the minority here (when it comes to players), but I'd prefer making buildings much more crucial while at the same time making adobe/stone walls harder to build.

I also think four rope per pine panel is potentially fine - the real problem, in my mind, is that rope is far too difficult to get in this game. I'd prefer making rope easier to get (something other than milkweed) and rebalancing stuff like carts and boxes (you mentioned nails a few days ago).

IT would be realyl nice if we had to chisel blocks individually from the rock pile and then add mortar, add block, add mortar add block, it could be a team effort.
but then buildings should be suuuuuper amazing and be tied to say. Organization like advanced storage units can only count indoors.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#27 2019-05-28 15:38:41

RodneyC86

Guppy wrote:
Psykout wrote:
Guppy wrote:

I dont think  that the limit for building should be resources.
It should be time. Stones, branches, clay, whatever you use for your house, arent hard to find  IRL.
But it takes alot of work refining those resources before you can build a house out of them.

Now, a craft timer was the first thing to come to mind, but that just sounds horrible for OHOL.

What about, instead, it takes more steps  to build walls. Like green beans.
You dont just harvest them and put them into a crock pot.
YOu wait for them to dry, harvest them, clean them, soak them, etc.
It makes the whole process slower, but not boring.
Making stew would be boring if you just yoink 3 things off a bush and throw them in together, Maybe we should take this concept and apply it to other things that are "too easy" atm, instead of adding more resources needed to do them

I think it would be even worse that as a productive player, that knows how to build, you will have even more trouble completing it. The good ones would just stop building all together because it takes way too much time to complete.

If things change with building, would you rather have to go look for more and rare resources or do this?

Only if buildings would be actually worth it ofc

Thing is though adobe isn’t rare. Well maybe as game goes along? I think main issue with buildings is that it gets messy very fast. Check out the stakes idea someone else came up with. We are already doing this with property fences so why not with stakes?

#28 2019-05-28 15:39:32

Psykout

Guppy wrote:
Psykout wrote:
Guppy wrote:

I dont think  that the limit for building should be resources.
It should be time. Stones, branches, clay, whatever you use for your house, arent hard to find  IRL.
But it takes alot of work refining those resources before you can build a house out of them.

Now, a craft timer was the first thing to come to mind, but that just sounds horrible for OHOL.

What about, instead, it takes more steps  to build walls. Like green beans.
You dont just harvest them and put them into a crock pot.
YOu wait for them to dry, harvest them, clean them, soak them, etc.
It makes the whole process slower, but not boring.
Making stew would be boring if you just yoink 3 things off a bush and throw them in together, Maybe we should take this concept and apply it to other things that are "too easy" atm, instead of adding more resources needed to do them

I think it would be even worse that as a productive player, that knows how to build, you will have even more trouble completing it. The good ones would just stop building all together because it takes way too much time to complete.

If things change with building, would you rather have to go look for more and rare resources or do this?

Only if buildings would be actually worth it ofc

I think the idea of making stakes for building walls and floors work like property fences is a better solution, lay down the plan for the whole building, collect resources while they are being approved, add them after that. Wouldn't change how we build currently, as you usually spend time out collecting building materials. But it would give people a chance to see whats going on and interact with the builder about it. Obviously using wood for walls is way obsolete, but stone and adobe isn't that bad right now considering it allows you to paint them - so it makes sense they are little harder to put together. Stone is cheap but can only look one kind of way, although the ancient thing not being removable is meh.

#29 2019-05-28 15:41:01

OminousBladeBlank

SavageOgre wrote:

Has anybody EVER seen a wooden house in game? I know I haven't, only in the tutorial, If Jason would make them super cheap to build, like stacking wooden planks together and using something to bind them, or doing the same with logs, then I would be fine with the non ideal insulation if they were actually cheap to build. all people use is adobe/stone walls, and I would argue that a stone wall should be harder to construct than a wooden one, but its 10x and fast/cheap to make stone buildings than wood.

how about making the walls only require the same recipe, but only a single rope to create, and you come out with 3 or 4 walls, and down the road you can put a piece of adobe on it to create an adobe wall (wattle and daub)

I make this post because we all know there have been some failed updates, the dog update, and the cart update come to mind, and last week Jason attempted to make the cart a more viable tool by making it cheaper, and yesterday I saw the first track kits in a town I have seen in months.

Jason you should keep trying to do this, while innovating on your game, revisit the dogs/ maybe allow breeding of dogs breeds that would work as hunting dogs (get them on a leash and they will near instantly pull rabbits out of holes, making it much quicker and efficient then using snares), allow people to name dogs so they become more personal to the village, and do something about the pitbulls too because they are really nothing but a source of grief.

but back to the wooden house thing, I would love to see more villages making more buildings, and you can hopefully understand how completely unviable to milkweed cost of making a wooden house is right now, so why don't you revisit it? I'm sure we would all appreciate it.

I like what you are saying. Pitbulls in particular, and the dog problems, strike close to home. as DaTruF showed us, pitbulls are a tool for griefing. I'd like to see them used as wardogs, or offensive tools. But as it stands, its so challenging to breed one that it can only really be done over a long period of time, making the transferral of a pup to an enemy while unleashing the carnage nearly impossible, leading to it truly only being a tool against the town you breed it in. Mostly a griefing tool, but i like the idea of a war dog that you could bring on a raid. As it stands, this is not really that doable.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#30 2019-05-28 15:46:37

OminousBladeBlank

Amon wrote:
Twisted wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

The thing is, I've made those pine panels in real life, and it's a ton of work.

There's an aspect of this game that is a "real maker aesthetic," and I've kept that going for most things.

I feel you, and I think that's a really cool part of the game (it's the main thing that drew me to the game initially, actually), but what I bothers me a bit is the difference between various items in the same subset. When it comes to wall you have the pine walls which do have this real maker aesthetic, but then you also have adobe and stone which are extremely simplified, stone walls especially - you don't even need mortar for those.

I'm probably in the minority here (when it comes to players), but I'd prefer making buildings much more crucial while at the same time making adobe/stone walls harder to build.

I also think four rope per pine panel is potentially fine - the real problem, in my mind, is that rope is far too difficult to get in this game. I'd prefer making rope easier to get (something other than milkweed) and rebalancing stuff like carts and boxes (you mentioned nails a few days ago).

IT would be realyl nice if we had to chisel blocks individually from the rock pile and then add mortar, add block, add mortar add block, it could be a team effort.
but then buildings should be suuuuuper amazing and be tied to say. Organization like advanced storage units can only count indoors.

Why not just cut the rope cost in half? Why are we pulling multiple stocks for strings? Why doesn't the milkweed just give you a string when you pick it if it's fruiting, and then only give you one stalk if it's not fruiting. Then It'll be easier to play the game. Think about how much food you can get with 8 soil. Now think about how 8 soil only gets you two ropes... With this tweak, you could get four ropes from it if you pull all the milkweed when it fruits. Then tech will be more accessible. Bad? Maybe. I doubt it though. Just less busy work, and more ropes.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#31 2019-05-28 16:21:12

Twisted

Amon wrote:

I love this.

Board footer