One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-26 14:52:41

paulof

Let's talk about communication and human relations

I've been trying to write something about this topic because I think it would be great to have new mechanisms to improve human relations and communication.

First of all, books. People always talk about it and I agree, it's kind of frustrating to explore the lands, or to live a great life and can't register much of that or can't teach something to the next generations like locations, translations, etc, while papers are used only as notes and it's really hard to write a long text and keep it organized for a long time.

Next idea. What if we could build a mural or something to post notes with rules, laws, things to do or to finish (like quests for other players), statements, etc. Usually papers are a mess and after a while people actually don't care about what is written. I think if we had murals people would care more about what is written in there. Besides I've seen people letting notes asking someone to finish something, soon the paper is lost and nobody actually finishs the stuff.

Leadership. What if we had mechanisms to really implement leadership. I mean, we have Kings and queens in the villages, but usually people don't care if you have a crown and it's calling everyone a peasant, it's not legitm, there is no mechanism to make it legitm and make it work as it should be. In the end everyone has a crown and everyone is a royal and being a king loose it's meaning. Leadership could even improve relations between towns and make trades a real thing in the game.

Well, these are some ideas I have, but I think we could discuss more about how to improve human relations and communication in the game. Tell something if you are interested in the topic.

Last edited by paulof (2019-05-26 15:04:48)

#2 2019-05-26 15:07:58

lychee

Re: Let's talk about communication and human relations

I am interested too!

Music/art/ritual tech plays a big role in history, and they are strongly underreppresented in the current game. It would be cool if there were reasons or incentives to do these things. A few ideas have been tossed --

A) Fertility rituals (make an altar for a small fertility boost)

B) Songs can be used to transfer knowledge/teaching

C) Stone engravings/chisels are a more lasting form of recording something

#3 2019-05-26 15:17:41

futurebird

I've been pushing for books for a long time...
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ore_books/

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-05-26 15:26:24

paulof

lychee wrote:

I am interested too!

Music/art/ritual tech plays a big role in history, and they are strongly underreppresented in the current game. It would be cool if there were reasons or incentives to do these things. A few ideas have been tossed --

A) Fertility rituals (make an altar for a small fertility boost)

B) Songs can be used to transfer knowledge/teaching

C) Stone engravings/chisels are a more lasting form of recording something

Yeah, msucial instruments would be great and write songs about history and wars and heros would be really nice. Think about arriving in a city and listen to a bard singing and playing. I would enjoy.

#5 2019-05-26 15:27:56

paulof

futurebird wrote:

I've been pushing for books for a long time...
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ore_books/

Yeah, Ive seen you talking about books and I support that. I would write lots of books.

#6 2019-05-26 16:01:57

Keyin

I agree. So much information is lost between generations. Much more than in real life because even if you dedicate the time to teach something to all the kids at the fire, 9/10 times they aren't going to tell the next generation after you're gone. Allowing more information to be stored more compactly and in books would be nice.

Making the binding for the book could be expensive too, in Minecraft leather is required and it is usually fairly expensive on servers...
Something similar could be done, so when you do find a book you think "wow, this must have been important to whoever made this if they went through the effort to make a book"

Also, a decaying system would be nice too... bookworms and such used to be a common problem. Having stages of decay to indicate notes and books age would allow notes to be more easily distinguished, right now there's usually just a bunch of papers scattered on the ground because people wanted to use the basket they were in. Also, if a book/note is getting close to fully decayed, you might have a librarian type player rushing to get a new book made so that they can ensure the next generation has access to the information.

As another note, I think \.. when you're off hunting rabbits for five minutes, if you're in a big town many people have been born and many people have died. It is hard to establish who is in charge and who is doing what... because that is constantly changing.

Lets say you are the king and everyone has agreed to your rule. You go off to do a kingly thing like negotiate with the neighboring town. So, by the time you get there and come back it has been a few minutes. In the time from planning the trip, going on the trip, and coming back from the trip, there have already been new players born into your town. They are already old enough to go do their own thing. There mother has neglected to tell them about the laws/customs/ the king is in charge... next thing you know there's a bunch of kids running around doing whatever oblivious to your authority.

And then theres the question of enforcing your authority... currently in game the only way to enforce your authority is
1)threat of death
2)trapping people in somewhere with locked door/property gates

The first one, if the person is also armed they are equally capable of killing the authority figure(assuming old enough to hold weapons, and low ping/equal combat skill) they can easily choose not to listen, and most people view their life as throw-away anyway, not every life is precious...more entertaining to resist the authority figure than to just follow their orders, etc.

the second one can be difficult to pull off, and if your trapping them in town... you need to get into town too. If you trap them in a small room.. well they aren't going to be useful in there. And if you let them out, there's a good chance they'll kill you as soon as you turn your back on them.

So, to make it easier to hold authority... I think that there should be a grappling/restraining mechanic in the game. This...you could use shift+right click with empty hand to attempt to restrain someone... and if they're too strong for you they could resist and break free(like if an old man tried to restrain a twenty something man) or maybe even the grapple fails completely(seven year old tries to restrain an adult). In a grapple where both people are equal strength, I think defender should win and break free(cannot determine if surprised by grapple or not).

I think this would definitely help with authority because right now, a fifteen year old girl with no name can just run in and start stabbing people. And I, a twenty something man am unable to try to grapple her and get the knife out of her hand... I am unable to restrain her... the only way I can stop her from killing is to grab a weapon and kill her. This makes it impossible for a society to form that doesn't use the death penalty... maybe I would like to grapple her, take her weapon away/knock it out of her hands, and use an item similar to handcuffs to stop her from holding things, and a way to guide her walking/drag her(kind of like when mom holds you) lock her up in a cell, slip food though occasionally.

I think a system like that would be nice... allow a group of people to dog-pile on an invader in absence of a a weapon.
Or in the absence of a grappling system..a weapon that would work similar to snowball, but it reduces their speed to 0 and doesn't wound them.

But yeah, I know the point of this topic is about establishing better communication and relationships... but the main point of the second suggestion is that you cannot have authority over something without power over it. Right now, a king may have authority over his kingdom, but he has very little power over it, because the only way to stop someone from doing something is to kill them. And there isn't much stopping them from killing you? All it takes is a teen with a knife to run up to you to end your rule.. the grappling system would allow a non-lethal method of enforcement, and provide people a better chance of surviving a knife attack.

Ideally I think grappling should take age and sex into account. This would give males more of a role... right now they are the same as a sterile female. In nature, the male role is protector>provider>reproduction. They do not have reproduction, and in the game the only sexual dimorphism aside from ability to feed and birth babies is cosmetic. I think that they should have an advantage in a grapple over females, and maybe as a counter-measure to 'balance' them, their hunger bar could deplete faster to represent men's higher metabolism to maintain muscle.

For age, I think the age with the best performance should be somewhere around twenty eight... this is near the peak for pro-wrestlers, as far as I can tell from a quick google search... decline from the peak should be slower than accent, so 29  is stronger than 27, 30 stronger than 26 but weaker than 29, etc. 28 yr old male always wins, except against someone with a weapon or another 28 yr old male.

But yeah, there can be no social order if the only way to assert power is to kill. And books are cool... especially old books written years ago by your ancestors, that is showing signs of age.

Last edited by Keyin (2019-05-26 16:11:59)

#7 2019-05-26 16:29:21

paulof

Keyin wrote:

But yeah, I know the point of this topic is about establishing better communication and relationships... but the main point of the second suggestion is that you cannot have authority over something without power over it. Right now, a king may have authority over his kingdom, but he has very little power over it, because the only way to stop someone from doing something is to kill them. And there isn't much stopping them from killing you? All it takes is a teen with a knife to run up to you to end your rule.. the grappling system would allow a non-lethal method of enforcement, and provide people a better chance of surviving a knife attack.

Actually what you've said it's exactly what I was looking for, I totally agree we need a system that allows authority, that's a really good point, I support you.

Board footer