One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-25 07:41:46

FeignedSanity
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2018-04-03
Posts: 456

Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

Since my storage/backpack idea seemingly got entirely ignored, I figured I'd go with something else that bothers me.

With ponds now being an early game resource that's meant to run out, forcing you to upgrade water tech, would it be possible to remove them after they're dried? Like, what purpose are they serving where they shouldn't be allowed to be removed? It takes two hours for a single water. That's not worth keeping around. I'd rather be able to use that space, if I need it.


Assume you're right, but don't assume you can't be wrong.

Offline

#2 2019-05-25 08:27:06

mrbah
Member
Registered: 2019-01-15
Posts: 75

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

would removing them have potential benefits?
like digging for ressources in them?
Otherwise, free water is free water.

Offline

#3 2019-05-25 08:38:58

FeignedSanity
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2018-04-03
Posts: 456

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

mrbah wrote:

would removing them have potential benefits?
like digging for ressources in them?
Otherwise, free water is free water.

I suppose it could. You could get a clay, or something out of it. But I'm not saying that they should just vanish once they're dry, just to at least have the ability to remove them. A single unit of water over the course of two hours is not without value; but I don't believe it would be as valuable as potential real estate.


Assume you're right, but don't assume you can't be wrong.

Offline

#4 2019-05-25 10:00:41

Keyin
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2019-05-09
Posts: 76

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

But muh bi-hourly bowl of water! It is what I use to kickstart abandoned towns... dont have the kerosine to use their pumps but the ponds have refilled. This would be almost as bad as when it became possible to remove wild berry bushes.

... seriously though, to the ppl who remove wild berry bushes...just build somewhere else or take them into account when building instead of digging them up.

Free food is free food. Free water is free water. Stop building in the swamp

Offline

#5 2019-05-25 10:11:16

FeignedSanity
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2018-04-03
Posts: 456

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

Keyin wrote:

But muh bi-hourly bowl of water! It is what I use to kickstart abandoned towns... dont have the kerosine to use their pumps but the ponds have refilled. This would be almost as bad as when it became possible to remove wild berry bushes.

... seriously though, to the ppl who remove wild berry bushes...just build somewhere else or take them into account when building instead of digging them up.

Free food is free food. Free water is free water. Stop building in the swamp

I think being able to remove wild berry bushes is a great thing, and the same concept would apply here. While I respect your right to your opinion, I disagree on all accounts.


Although, if Jason were to refuse the removal of dry ponds, I'd be in favor of removing the ability to dig up wild berry bushes. Just for the sake of consistency.


Assume you're right, but don't assume you can't be wrong.

Offline

#6 2019-05-25 10:36:01

Keyin
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2019-05-09
Posts: 76

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

can you explain why you disagree on being able to remove wild berry bushes?

Offline

#7 2019-05-25 11:56:06

Cookie
Member
Registered: 2019-05-16
Posts: 31

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

This might be stupid, but what if digging up a dry pond gave us something we could add to another pond (dry or not) to speed up water regeneration in said pond? So we would end up with one or two ponds that generate water much faster?

Offline

#8 2019-05-25 15:37:57

Psykout
Member
Registered: 2018-11-14
Posts: 304

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

I agree, the real estate thing is annoying. One thing I do like about dry ponds, its like a cistern for bowls of water. If you ever have been trying to run a pump and all the buckets are partial buckets, being able to empty one by dumping it into a pond is nice, but that is extremely low on the totem pole in my book.

Offline

#9 2019-05-25 15:52:01

mrbah
Member
Registered: 2019-01-15
Posts: 75

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

what about being able to repopulate a full pond with a goose too? that way it becomes a strategic thought, do I want the space now, or do i want the village to have more feathers for arrows later?

Offline

#10 2019-05-25 17:55:15

Jk Howling
Member
From: Washington State
Registered: 2018-06-16
Posts: 385

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

Psykout wrote:

I agree, the real estate thing is annoying. One thing I do like about dry ponds, its like a cistern for bowls of water. If you ever have been trying to run a pump and all the buckets are partial buckets, being able to empty one by dumping it into a pond is nice, but that is extremely low on the totem pole in my book.

Wrong. Please don't waste water by putting it back into ponds, as you can and actually often will lose water doing this. It's not a static storage item like buckets. It's RNG based.

Every time you take water out of a pond, there's a 20% chance for it to go down a use, with a total of 5 uses- similar to tools. The last use if 100% chance to drain it. You definitely DO NOT want to be putting buckets of water into a pond because of the very real chance that you won't get it back. The only time you're guaranteed to get it back is if you put a single bowl of water into an empty pond.


You'll find me as Eve Wolfe when possible.

My name themes are often: Flowers [Aster, Posy, Lily, Zinnia, etc.], Greek Gods [Zeus, Apollo, Hermes, Poseidon, etc.], Wild Animals [Hawke, Wolfe, Bear, Lionel, Foxx, Raven, Fawn, etc], and Harry Potter characters [Beatrix, Sirius, Newt, Severus, Luna, etc.]

Offline

#11 2019-05-25 18:21:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator
Registered: 2017-02-13
Posts: 2,256

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

Yeah, will do this.  Can someone make an issue about it here, if it's not there already:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues

Also, I'm not intentionally ignoring anyone.  There's a mountain of information to comb through, though, and it's very hard for me to keep up.

And hiring someone to comb through it wouldn't help, by the way, because if I'm the one doing the work anyway, the bottleneck is still there, and they would have to present the best ideas to me, and that would take time, and how would they decide what's best?  And hiring another person to help with the actual work is probably an even less practical idea.

In other words, this stuff takes time.  It just does.  I will get through all of it eventually!

Offline

#12 2019-05-25 18:26:30

FeignedSanity
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2018-04-03
Posts: 456

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

Keyin wrote:

can you explain why you disagree on being able to remove wild berry bushes?

Pretty much the same reason as with ponds. While there is value in having a free gooseberry every ten minutes, I don't believe it outweighs the benefit of potential real estate. Especially with buildings being much more useful now. A situation where "Man, this is the perfect spot for the nursery, but there's these indestructible berry bushes in the way" is frustrating. Same goes for a forge or bakery. Space is one of the most valuable resources in this game, IMO.

Besides, it's not even a guaranteed berry every ten minutes. It's actually less than that, because the timer resets every time a berry gets picked.

Cookie wrote:

This might be stupid, but what if digging up a dry pond gave us something we could add to another pond (dry or not) to speed up water regeneration in said pond? So we would end up with one or two ponds that generate water much faster?

I feel like that kind of works against the concept of early game water running out to force upgrading water lol.

mrbah wrote:

what about being able to repopulate a full pond with a goose too? that way it becomes a strategic thought, do I want the space now, or do i want the village to have more feathers for arrows later?

I don't really feel like there'd be a reason to do this. Besides, flint (the other ingredient required to make arrows) is non renewable. So you'd be competing against that aspect. Also, feathers are easy to get. You'd just travel to an untouched swamp and poke a few geese. You only have to wait 30 seconds for new feathers. Just make sure to turn them into fletchings so they don't despawn.

Jk Howling wrote:
Psykout wrote:

I agree, the real estate thing is annoying. One thing I do like about dry ponds, its like a cistern for bowls of water. If you ever have been trying to run a pump and all the buckets are partial buckets, being able to empty one by dumping it into a pond is nice, but that is extremely low on the totem pole in my book.

Wrong. Please don't waste water by putting it back into ponds, as you can and actually often will lose water doing this. It's not a static storage item like buckets. It's RNG based.

Every time you take water out of a pond, there's a 20% chance for it to go down a use, with a total of 5 uses- similar to tools. The last use if 100% chance to drain it. You definitely DO NOT want to be putting buckets of water into a pond because of the very real chance that you won't get it back. The only time you're guaranteed to get it back is if you put a single bowl of water into an empty pond.

Thank you for taking the time to point this out so I didn't have to.


Assume you're right, but don't assume you can't be wrong.

Offline

#13 2019-05-25 18:30:19

FeignedSanity
SELECT group FROM users WHERE user_id = MISSINGNO.
Registered: 2018-04-03
Posts: 456

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah, will do this.  Can someone make an issue about it here, if it's not there already:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues

Also, I'm not intentionally ignoring anyone.  There's a mountain of information to comb through, though, and it's very hard for me to keep up.

And hiring someone to comb through it wouldn't help, by the way, because if I'm the one doing the work anyway, the bottleneck is still there, and they would have to present the best ideas to me, and that would take time, and how would they decide what's best?  And hiring another person to help with the actual work is probably an even less practical idea.

In other words, this stuff takes time.  It just does.  I will get through all of it eventually!

Wow great! I'll make one now, if there isn't already one.

I get the whole doing it all yourself. I just strategically waited for you to actually be on before bumping the issue to the top, and it still didn't get a response. So the probably of it just being missed seemed small. Which is why I put "seemingly". Hopefully I get an answer to it one of these days. I'll just bump it again for good measure >:]

Again, I appreciate all the work you do and thank you for the great game you've made!

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-25 18:35:16)


Assume you're right, but don't assume you can't be wrong.

Offline

#14 2019-05-26 00:30:33

Psykout
Member
Registered: 2018-11-14
Posts: 304

Re: Hey Jason, will you make it possible to remove dry ponds?

Jk Howling wrote:
Psykout wrote:

I agree, the real estate thing is annoying. One thing I do like about dry ponds, its like a cistern for bowls of water. If you ever have been trying to run a pump and all the buckets are partial buckets, being able to empty one by dumping it into a pond is nice, but that is extremely low on the totem pole in my book.

Wrong. Please don't waste water by putting it back into ponds, as you can and actually often will lose water doing this. It's not a static storage item like buckets. It's RNG based.

Every time you take water out of a pond, there's a 20% chance for it to go down a use, with a total of 5 uses- similar to tools. The last use if 100% chance to drain it. You definitely DO NOT want to be putting buckets of water into a pond because of the very real chance that you won't get it back. The only time you're guaranteed to get it back is if you put a single bowl of water into an empty pond.


Oops forgot about this, not a common practice, only in those frustrating moments when someone takes the bucket I was just using to run the pump and move to the cistern, and taking bowls out with little ways to get a full or empty bucket. Been a couple times that I was sitting there with 2-3 partial buckets and getting an empty one to take on the last bucket from the pump to dry it turned out to be a hassle. PSA leave an empty bucket near the pump so it can be used to run the pump and fill cisterns...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB