One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-05-26 15:02:24

Spoonwood

Re: Other games solve a lot of these long-term problems with regular wipes

jasonrohrer wrote:

Also, it dramatically undercuts "each life is different" and undercuts cooperation with strangers to achieve long-term, trans-gen goals.

NO, it does NOT do that.  And I speak from experience.  I've Eve-chained a bunch and that has NOT undercut cooperation.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I.e., work on your own multi-hour solo project.  That's what the deathbed speech is about.  Hoping that your grandkids will keep working on your project after you're gone.  That's pretty damn special, and totally unique to this game.  I agree it engenders a feeling of nihilism and pointlessness... but that's also part of the point!  You can't take it with you.  You're one small part in a huge story that involves lots of other people.  You can't control anything from beyond the grave.

This is what makes each story memorable.... it has an END, and it ends before you want it to, and there is no CONTINUE button.

Stop doing what you did here Jason.  Again, someone explained their preference.  You went on about your intentions.  When someone states their preference, they want it considered so that the game gets changed.  They do NOT want a lecture about how you have envisioned the game without any sort of focus group or other means to gauge what people will like.  Also, lots of things can be unique, but rather poor in many respects.  I guess as an example, John Cage has a famous piece of art called 4'33".  But, it's not something that radio stations will air every day for good reason. 

Furthermore, and more importantly, most people don't like nihilism and pointlessness and they have more or less told you that.  If you think that part of the game consists of part of what attracts people to OHOL, you just don't understand what has made your game attractive to people.

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, yeah, I'd be pretty hesitant to undercut the entire artistic point of the game.

Again, that isn't what makes the game attractive to people.  So, such a 'point' ends up rather meaningless.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'd be much more likely to offer cash prizes for the most great-great-grand-kids or something completely gamey and ridiculous, because at least it wouldn't undercut the feeling of a life.

No, others do NOT feel how you do with respect to their OHOL lives.  People probably wouldn't describe what you've described as 'the entire artistic point' as art, or at least not as good art.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#52 2019-05-26 15:22:30

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Last I checked there were like 900 Eves per day (even before the come together update).  Gonna find a way to get it down to like 20 per day or something like that.  Maybe 3 per day, even.

It's extremely doubtful that even somewhat close to the majority of players want this.  Heck, it's more likely that you're the only person who wants LESS control for players in the way that you propose.  Are you trying to alienate people from OHOL Jason?  Do you want people NOT to have an interest in OHOL any longer?  I've mentioned before that I use to suicide to Eve sometimes.  Eve Milk did that.  So did Eve Jo.  So has Eve Tree.  There exist plenty of other people who have done that also and do or have liked to play as Eve... especially a Eve who wasn't near a city.  I'm re-posting JK Howling's comment from another thread here also for emphasis:

Jk Howling wrote:

If you're determined to quite literally never, EVER let players be able to eve, despite it being a popular playstyle that many people enjoy, then you need to give us the fucking ability to properly branch off of a family. We need more space.

I like being eve because it's a challenge, moreso than sitting in a functioning village adding to the already-large food stores and munching on pies. I like being able to start from scratch, build the first kiln, plant the first berries, and being completely on my own, with only my children to continue my legacy. I like seeing the foundations of something great, and coming on later to find that my family is still going! That the tiny eve camp bloomed into a city!

You just don't get the same effect anymore. Having to run for half my fertility just to find wild lands again is not enjoyable. Getting stuck with a surname that means nothing to me is not enjoyable. Being forced into already settled lands no matter how I spawn in, is not enjoyable.

Things stagnated very quickly. I'm already burnt out on being forced together in one small area when the map has easily the space and resources for hundreds, if not thousands, of settlements. I'm tired of seeing a town everywhere I look on bs2. I'm tired of being forced to play with strangers that just end up slaughtering my family a generation later.

Give us options that aren't /die /die /die.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#53 2019-05-26 15:27:13

kittykatthegreat

I agree, before the spring update eve lives were my favorite. Taking that away is going to kill it even more for me.

#54 2019-05-26 16:36:07

Psykout

I am also very sad to see fresh start camps leave the game, only to get replaced by reviving old towns, watching any other eve that strolls by wanting to do the same get slaughtered because paranoid players and lack of communication. Getting anywhere near the old feeling as JK stated takes you wasting half your fertility, thus leaving your children with an even harder game to play than before. You have so much less time to do anything, I don't want to run and run and run, just so I can make a few bowls and plates before getting old, hoping my kids make something of the pile of dung I attempted to hand them. Branching off is lackluster as well because there are ruins everywhere, iron dried up to lost civilizations. People used to accept the challenges of spawning in an eve camp and sometimes stay, now you are guaranteed to lose 90% of your kids because too many want the hard stuff done for them by someone else, and its very easy to attain that compared to before.

It is never a good idea to hack away an entire stage of the game, it only damages things. Perhaps in the far future, when tech has risen considerably, but not yet. Limiting Eve's down to a handful will only exacerbate the feeling that we are just living and dying over and over around the same walls.

I don't know exactly how to fix this without rolling back an update which is also not something that should be done. There are radical ways to approach it, but that also leaves a lot of room for concern.

I think the island idea, or oceans makes the most sense. Impassable terrain that needs higher level of tech to break through, a port/ship, a diesel powered drill to open up tunnels through mountain passes. Give Eve's a small chunk of map space, 400x400. If one of the towns in that slice matures and lives, techs out of there, the rest of the server can access them. Rather than having this gigantic proc genned map that NOBODY sees, the giant map is a quilt of player efforts. Something that has the chance of maintaining the feeling of sharing the world, and the feeling you can make something out of nothing.

#55 2019-05-26 17:25:36

The_Anabaptist

Why not add "natural disasters" that trigger when certain map elements fall below a certain threshold?

An earthquake when certain rocks and ores need a large scale respawn.
A thunderstorm when certain trees and plants need a large scale respawn.

Basically, a global audio cue that its happening and poof, more resources!  Better than a server reset, if I had to choose between the two.

The_Anabaptist

#56 2019-05-26 20:03:19

hmrka

Hey jason if you wanna wipe the server weekly why not make total lifetime curse scores decay... Sure, It doesn't do anything because I don't get cursed at all now, but I don't want to feel like im unable to kill quad griefers because they may curse me.

Please, just make them either decay slowly or somehow time played would change the time you spent in dt. So that someone with 300 hours and 100 total curses is treated more harsh than someone with 1000 hours and the same amount of total curses. I'm sure if my time played would be taken into consideration I would need atleast 5-6 curses to get sent into DT, not 3.

It is off-topic, but I don't want to spam this forum with the same threads once every two weeks so I am asking here.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#57 2019-05-27 02:13:10

desertsyd

jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, if an area hasn't been seen by human eyes in 24 hours or something, the human-touched tiles there start going back to their natural state

wait, I thought this was implemented?? or a similar process.
did it get stopped at some stage?

#58 2019-05-27 02:26:54

wondible

desertsyd wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, if an area hasn't been seen by human eyes in 24 hours or something, the human-touched tiles there start going back to their natural state

wait, I thought this was implemented?? or a similar process.
did it get stopped at some stage?

I think it's wiped after a week. This would be a per-tile chance to reset after a shorter period, so things would appear to slowly decay and get reclaimed.

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

Board footer