a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-13 16:34:37

Vexenie

More advanced injury and disease system

Right now, we have only fatal wounds, where we need first aid to save somebody
and the snake venom will need an antidote to save someone
and arrow heads need actual primitive surgery to remove it

What if we had non-serious and serious wounds?

non-serious would be:
Nose bleed (one nostril)
sprained ankle (shown by limping, slower movement)
Cracked bone (a limb in a bent position, either slower movement or can't pick up certain items)
and such

serious would be:
Broken nose (both nostrils bleed)
Fractured bone (no movement or slowed movement because of pain)
lost limb (WTF AM I THINKING!?)
and such

For different injuries you'll need different remedies, either painkiller or a splint or in body surgery
I know this would make thing more complicated, but you'll at least live after a non-serious injury without any medicine, except serious ones

Diseases should be added to make players more care about hygiene, either building or them selves

After a while, diseases could appear, which would make a players life miserable, either by pooping (More dung smile ) or by pain (painkiller)
Some diseases appear because of certain action or thing

Food poisoning could be caught by eating rotten food or eating wrong food, like mushrooms or raw eggs (if you wanna)

The point of this topic is to express my opinion on how to improve the medicine in ohol, compared to the now primitive medicine
Submit your own ideas, if I left out any or you just want to add smile

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2020-05-16 17:10:24

Spoonwood

Re: More advanced injury and disease system

Mining never leads to injury or death.

Imagine a story like this:

You're about 4 years old.  You're looking around town.  You see your grandfather for the first time.  He's limping.  Putting together a farming tool.  You ask him "GRAN" "WHY" "YOU" "LIMP?"  He responds: "SON" "I WAS MINING" "ROCK FELL" "HURT MY LEG" "YOU HAVE IRON FOR HO NOW" "WAS YOUR GRANDMA'S FIRST HO"  He puts the hoe down at your feet and continues. "I WAS LUCKY" "MY FRIEND" "HIS HEAD" "GOT CRUSHED"

Having one's head getting crushed sounds like a raw deal, right?  But if players could reincarnate after experiencing death to a work-related accident, I think the increased story potential ends up well worth it.  The game also takes place in the future.  An impared leg could get replaced by a prosthetic limb.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-16 17:12:15)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2020-05-16 17:12:09

Grim_Arbiter

Funny enough, I know Jason has seriously considered something along those lines..

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2020-05-16 17:16:16

Spoonwood

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Funny enough, I know Jason has seriously considered something along those lines..

I don't think so.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The idea is to keep the number of core systems in the game extremely limited, and to build as much as possible using just those systems.

Right now, there are two core systems:

1.  Food

2.  Temperature.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=5304&p=3

Jason is also sticking to the boring idea of everytime players logging in, they can't get born in the same spot.  And the boring and samey ideas of players being babies some 99% of the time.

Danish Clinch.

#5 2020-05-16 17:32:37

Grim_Arbiter

Spoonwood wrote:

Mining never leads to injury or death.

Imagine a story like this:

You're about 4 years old.  You're looking around town.  You see your grandfather for the first time.  He's limping.  Putting together a farming tool.  You ask him "GRAN" "WHY" "YOU" "LIMP?"  He responds: "SON" "I WAS MINING" "ROCK FELL" "HURT MY LEG" "YOU HAVE IRON FOR HO NOW" "WAS YOUR GRANDMA'S FIRST HO"  He puts the hoe down at your feet and continues. "I WAS LUCKY" "MY FRIEND" "HIS HEAD" "GOT CRUSHED"

"My father worked the mines, until the day it took his life. Stole him from his only son, and it stole him from his wife..And I swore upon his grave: Someday, I would make things right..So I learned how to bend steel, I learned how to make it move..And I watched as it withstood all the hell we put men through..With hands of iron..There's not a task we couldn't do"

This will be the eventual reason for the atomic powered robot spoon. They will be made for good and abused for evil just like every other tool ever.

Spoonwood wrote:

I don't think so.

Around the time when tool slots were first implemented. I remember him thinking about the possibilities of what could happen if you didn't know your tool and.. hurt yourself.. In a pretty comical way.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2020-05-16 17:39:08

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

The idea is to keep the number of core systems in the game extremely limited, and to build as much as possible using just those systems.

Right now, there are two core systems:

1.  Food

2.  Temperature.

lol had an idea about linking the wound system with the food system:

- allow more hits which cumulative reduce speed X 0.8 each

- each wound needs separate healing

- instead of a fixed time to die, increase food need +100% for each wound. if he starved to death the death says killed by...

- after two years heal one wound if still alive even if no healing pad was used (healing pads can still be used like now)

Yea would be nice to have also more different kind of injuries, just was thinking, that connecting wounds with food use would be quite easy to implement and would give some extra time to heal the person.

#7 2020-05-16 19:13:24

antking:]#

we defiantly need more types of injuries, as so far any injury you get will kill you

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#8 2020-05-16 19:28:45

tocal

Vexenie wrote:

Yellow fever isn't necessarily a fatal wound. I'm pretty sure if you take all your clothes off and go to cold biome you'll probably be cured before you starve. Also if you have enormous yum chain and food bar you can also survive a long time, possibly outlasting the disease.

#9 2020-05-16 19:30:27

DestinyCall

antking:]# wrote:

we defiantly need more types of injuries, as so far any injury you get will kill you

Replace mortal wound system with permanent injury system.   Injuries could work like yellow fever.   You might die if no one helps, but if you had a full hunger bar, there is a chance to recover by waiting long enough.    Proper medical treatment allows full recovery.   However, untreated wounds leave behind permanent damage.  After surviving a near fatal wound, you will have a noticeable limp that slows your movement or your arms are too weak to lift heavy items (big boulder, engine, etc), or your hunger bar is shorter because of a bad gut wound.

Multiple disabilities stack up to a max of three, then any further untreated injuries are always fatal.

#10 2020-05-16 19:31:18

voy178

tocal wrote:
Vexenie wrote:

Yellow fever isn't necessarily a fatal wound. I'm pretty sure if you take all your clothes off and go to cold biome you'll probably be cured before you starve. Also if you have enormous yum chain and food bar you can also survive a long time, possibly outlasting the disease.

Yellow fever is incapacitating. You can't remove your clothes if you so wanted to.

#11 2020-05-16 19:35:50

DestinyCall

voy178 wrote:

Yellow fever is incapacitating. You can't remove your clothes if you so wanted to.

That's why you should always run through jungles buck naked.

For safety.

#12 2020-05-16 19:57:34

Arcurus

DestinyCall wrote:
voy178 wrote:

That's why you should always run through jungles buck naked.

For safety.

by the way, is there a way to get rid of moskitos? Are the jungle people at least more immune to moskitos?

#13 2020-05-16 20:07:20

Grim_Arbiter

Arcurus wrote:

by the way, is there a way to get rid of moskitos? Are the jungle people at least more immune to moskitos?

Nah man. Only trap them like we did back in the day.

I've said it too many times now, but them skeeters were the biggest griefers we ever probably ever had.. My god it was terrible.

--Grim

#14 2020-05-17 20:50:58

Melea

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I've said it too many times now, but them skeeters were the biggest griefers we ever probably ever had.. My god it was terrible.

At least now they stay in the dang jungles!

#15 2020-05-17 21:00:29

Spoonwood

Melea wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

At least now they stay in the dang jungles!

Before they would only change biomes when the biome reset.  I don't think biomes reset at all anymore.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-05-17 21:00:43)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer