One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-12-20 02:09:33

testo

Re: I think the new map is too easy (too full of resources)

Spoonwood wrote:
jcwilk wrote:

Stop doing this

Start being more reflective and consider more possibilities.

mission accomplished, god this is ollj best moments troll level <3

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#27 2019-12-20 03:10:50

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Jason from 7 months ago has a point.   We don't deserve nice things.   We need more scarcity.    Fewer option.  More invisible fences.   

If the last seven months have taught me anything, it is that I have the most fun when I completely run out of valid options and have plenty of time to just sit down in the middle of a dying berry patch and really think about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Why do we drill for oil?   Why do we gather iron?  Why do we make compost?   Why do we catch sheep?   Why do we feed sky babies?  Why does any of this matter if nothing will remain in a few hours or a few days?   

What is "realplay"?   What is "real" if life itself is just a game? If real life is a game, are we the players or the ones getting played?

Deep thoughts ... deep berry-munching thoughts.

I thought your first two paragraphs were sarcastic at first, but then you started asking questions which some might view as profound.  Particularly the last two.  So, can you clarify your tone in the first and second paragraphs?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#28 2019-12-20 03:44:59

DestinyCall

I will tell you my secret, Spoon.

I am ALWAYS sarcastic.   The only thing that really changes is the intensity level of my perpetual snarkiness.

#29 2019-12-20 03:48:04

Toxolotl

DestinyCall wrote:

I will tell you my secret, Spoon.

I am ALWAYS sarcastic.   The only thing that really changes is the intensity level of my perpetual snarkiness.

Why you're my favorite destiny, sorry spoon.

#30 2019-12-20 04:15:55

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

I am ALWAYS sarcastic.

Oh come on!  You have to know that if that's true, then you were serious and not sarcastic when you wrote that sentence.  But then the statement is false.  And thus since you're not always sarcastic, I haven't gotten any more information about whether or not you were sarcastic in the comment I referred to.

Alright, you got me laughing.  Perhaps you avoided my question, because you're undecided on what you wrote above.

Danish Clinch.

#31 2019-12-20 04:55:35

DestinyCall

This statement is a lie.  :-)

But speaking more seriously, my previous post was highly sarcastic.  I do not think it is fun to run out of options and I do not think greater scarcity leads to more engaging or interesting gameplay. 

In fact, I would prefer to see OHOL's ecology reworked to be 100% sustainable, if resources are managed carefully by each generation.   I would like for it to be possible for a single town to continue to develop indefinitely by properly managing the production and consumption of critical resources.  And for the surrounding world to recover and renew itself over time, so we don't leave behind dead spaces everywhere we go, like ravenous locusts.

I'd like to see new resources become available over time, and other kinds of mines beyond iron and oil.   Copper, tin, and bronze in the pre-iron age ... silver, platinum, uranium ... the options are endless.  New crafting stations, like iron ovens and furnaces, furniture for inside houses, more animals, both wild and domestic, more uses for our current animals - leather, beef, lard, bacon, etc.   More plants.   More tools.   More materials.   More vehicles.   More building materials.  More biomes.   Weather and seasons.   Oceans.  Rivers.

I'd like to see a lot of things.   Too many things.  I want to see ALL the things, man.

What I don't want is more restrictions, artificial barriers, and pointless scarcity to drive up the general grindiness of a game that already has enough grind, thank you very much.

Or maybe I'm still being sarcastic ... you can never be entirely sure with me.

#32 2019-12-20 05:00:04

Toxolotl

Destiny call is jason confirmed

#33 2019-12-20 05:18:25

Spoonwood

I agree Destiny.

Danish Clinch.

#34 2019-12-20 06:47:11

jcwilk

DestinyCall wrote:

Jason from 7 months ago has a point.   We don't deserve nice things.   We need more scarcity.    Fewer option.  More invisible fences.   

If the last seven months have taught me anything, it is that I have the most fun when I completely run out of valid options and have plenty of time to just sit down in the middle of a dying berry patch and really think about the meaning of life, the universe, and everything.

Why do we drill for oil?   Why do we gather iron?  Why do we make compost?   Why do we catch sheep?   Why do we feed sky babies?  Why does any of this matter if nothing will remain in a few hours or a few days?   

What is "realplay"?   What is "real" if life itself is just a game? If real life is a game, are we the players or the ones getting played?

Deep thoughts ... deep berry-munching thoughts.

Made my night. SPRING BREAK!!!!

#35 2019-12-20 07:58:20

Punkypal

DestinyCall wrote:

In fact, I would prefer to see OHOL's ecology reworked to be 100% sustainable, if resources are managed carefully by each generation.

I would settle for resources running out at about the same time. As it currently is, you run out of water. That's it. Everything else there is always plenty of. Things that require water, not so much.

And that's inherently stupid. The one resource that's 100% renewable in the world is not at all in the game. Oh, what an empty goose pond gets back like a couple bowls of water every 24 hours or something like that? I know it says on the wiki that it gets back water faster than that, but I think that's out of date info because I'll run by a town that's been dead for 24 hours and ponds all around it are still at super low level. So yea, not renewable. That's a joke.

Can we build groundwater reclamation ponds? Aqueducts? Irrigation ditches? Anything? Nope. Any town more than 24 hours old is constantly teetering on the edge of ruin over water supply. No ocean, no rivers, no streams, no lakes, no rain. We are all living in a desert wasteland world. Water is the only resource in ONE HOUR, ONE DROUGHT

----------

Still, noting is trolling us quite like horses "escaping" after like only five seconds, and then running spastically all over so far that it take 3-4 tries to catch it again. Seriously. I've found towns with the newest corpse being almost 2k years old and sheep that broke loose are still hanging out all within 20 spaces of the pen. Lose a horse and don't grab it instantly and within 30 seconds it can be so far away you'll never find it again even with a zoom mod backed out to max.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-24 23:24:08)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#36 2019-12-20 08:50:14

DestinyCall

Yeah, ideally I would like to see various resources that become accessible and important as you advance up the tech tree.  And more resources that can be accessed through tiered structures that work similar to the water tech tree - the earlier stages hit an "exhausted" point that requires additional tech to re-open access and continue to gain valuable resources.

For example, there could be stone quarries to harvest flat rocks for roads.   Other metals and mineral resources that can be mined, beyond iron, like copper, tin, titanium, rare gems, etc.  Mining could also give other resources, like round or sharp stones and boulders.   Different stages of mine - shallow surface mining with pickaxe only.  Deeper mining with stanchion kit.   Even deeper mining using steam power, like newcomen pump.   Then diesel power for even deeper access to the earth's riches. 

There could be stages of tech, unlocking new equipment that allows you to tap into new raw resources and reach different materials that further allow you to advance up the tech tree.     It wouldn't just all revolve around iron and water.   In fact, most villages should solve their water problems relatively early, because it is such a critical resource.   You shouldn't run out of water unless you are really lagging behind in other areas.    And advanced town should face a very different set of challenges from a tiny camp.  It shouldn't feel like you are still living in the stone age, cooking your meat over an open fire and bashing stuff with rocks.

#37 2019-12-20 09:12:21

StrongForce

All who dislike spoonwood's necros report him please.
This is seeding falls information and attention grabbing.

Baby dance!!

#38 2019-12-20 09:21:22

DestinyCall

StrongForce wrote:

The best way to beat a necromancer is to equip a lot of magic-resistance armor and attack using using mana-draining weapons, if you have them.   Also, try not to let his skeletal hordes surround you.  They have strength in numbers, but you should have the speed advantage on open ground.   Fire attacks are usually pretty effective against the undead.

Good luck and god speed.

#39 2019-12-20 09:44:43

Spoonwood

StrongForce wrote:

Did you study the pictures and come to any conclusion about what which system you would think better?  Look if you read the original post, it sounds like Jason wasn't sure about changing things.  My re-read was that he was looking for feedback back then, and there were very few people who said anything either way.  I really don't get that, because if you study the pictures things look drastically different in my opinion.

Honestly, what is the problem with trying to actually evaluate the different systems?  Why don't you deal with anyone's assertions?

DestinyCall and Punkypal had some interesting comments.

Why the hell do you want to shut down discussion?  Are you afraid of other people expressing their opinions or something?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-20 09:47:08)

Danish Clinch.

#40 2019-12-20 12:38:25

StrongForce

I'm just here so see what Jason does right now and Mabye help him out with some ideas.

If you have nothing better to do than read old shit do whatever but making the whole forum check if it's one of your necros is a dick move
just because you think digging up every comment jason ever made and may have changed his opinion on is not productive at all.

Now every forum member has to do check the post first just because you think your opinion is more important than annoying and wasting time off everyone
You are just egocentric
Post like every normal member with your own name
So the players who don't value your opinion don't get it shoved in their faces every time we open a post who has jason as author.

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-12-20 12:43:12)

Baby dance!!

#41 2019-12-20 13:50:49

Spoonwood

StrongForce wrote:

I'm just here so see what Jason does right now and Mabye help him out with some ideas.

Well, I don't think you're helping.  If you're not willing to actually think about things and how they should be and voice your opinion, especially when you disagree, what good is that to happen?  Jason doesn't need 'yes' people who won't say anything critical.  He also doesn't need people who won't give him feedback when he asked for it.  Again, check the original post.  Jason says 'I think' several times, which indicates uncertainty.

If you won't think about different possibilities, I also don't see how that will help.

Seriously, why won't you express your opinion?

Which set up do you think would be better and why?

StrongForce wrote:

If you have nothing better to do than read old shit do whatever but making the whole forum check if it's one of your necros is a dick move

I'm not able to make the forums check anything.  They choose to read or not read something.  For example, you're the one choosing not to study those images in the original post.

There is little productive in your last comment.  It doesn't involve you considering anything with respect to the original post at all.  It's just an attempt by you to shut down discucssion.  You simply do NOT get more productive things done that way.  You get more productive things done by expanding the discussion.

StrongForce wrote:

Now every forum member has to do check the post first just because you think your opinion is more important than annoying and wasting time off everyone
You are just egocentric

If I were egocentric I would just be stating my opinion.  I asked why you wouldn't study the images above.  I had hoped that you might express your opinion on this matter, specifically which map generation algorithm you think would be better, and again I'm asking for your opinion on it now.

StrongForce wrote:

Post like every normal member with your own name
So the players who don't value your opinion don't get it shoved in their faces every time we open a post who has jason as author.

Hey, you don't want people to be egocentric, that includes yourself, so you need to actually hear other people's opinions frequently.  I stated mine.  The world would be better if it were this world type: https://i.imgur.com/K5s8cda.jpg  Again, what the heck is yours?  And if you want to help Jason out, seriously state your opinion and try to get others to do the same, and not try to shut down discussion.  When discussions get shut down arbitrarily they are closed discussions.  And a closed discussion is a fast path to a closed mind.

Again, what is your opinion?

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-20 14:04:29)

Danish Clinch.

#42 2019-12-20 15:29:33

StrongForce

It's not for you to decide this topic is what Jason needs to look at. This topic is not an issue(good as is) in my opinion. that's why it's annoying you necro. you make it seam as if jason actually cares about the topic at the moment but its just you.

If Jason posts in this forum he is actively asking for feedback so I have to look at it since he posted it.
You missuse his name to mask your bad reputation

Baby dance!!

#43 2019-12-20 15:58:28

Spoonwood

StrongForce wrote:

It's not for you to decide this topic is what Jason needs to look at.

Oh, but I am one person who bought the game.  It is for me to decide whether in my opinion it would be good for Jason to look at something.  And other people's opinions matter also. 

I still haven't heard your opinion on this matter, other than that you think that no opinion can be relevant, since as you say "this topic is not an issue".  Did you even study the pictures?  Did you consider the possibilities?  Did you consider how settlements might be affected were the larger resource system come into existence?

Danish Clinch.

#44 2019-12-20 16:23:23

StrongForce

FFS
I'm tired of talking to a brick wall

Necros are bad that's why they are called like this

I'll keep reporting necros and ignore you.
If you feel you have won the discussion now do whatever

Baby dance!!

#45 2019-12-20 16:35:19

Spoonwood

StrongForce wrote:

Necros are bad that's why they are called like this

You haven't stated any reason why necros are bad in general.  I don't think they are, and I think you have rushed to a baseless conclusion.

History books exist for a reason.  It's not just to chronicle things.  It's also so that different perspectives can get understood.  Necros help people to think about different perspectives, or at least can help people to consider different perspectives when handled well.  Necros can help people get people away from stagnation in their thinking.  Sometimes, past ideas have been better than current ideas.  Sometimes also old systems had better qualities.

And if you really think otherwise, you might want to learn something about Copernicus.  After all, he revived an old idea.

And I'll keep on believing that you're a censorious sort who doesn't want people to think.  That you want to shut down valid discussion.  And that you want closed mindedness, instead of people thinking.  After all, you're the one trying have more limits on the freedom of speech.

But hey, you might change someday.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-20 16:38:07)

Danish Clinch.

#46 2020-10-20 15:32:32

Spoonwood

I have to wonder how the September sale would have went if Jason had gone with the map production scheme from the second image: https://imgur.com/K5s8cda instead of the first image: https://imgur.com/ZWt4IXb

Danish Clinch.

#47 2022-04-20 20:06:21

Spoonwood

I think it's even clearer that the current system is inferior to the system with the short object bug fixed.  In other words, the one with more burdock, berry bushes, milkweed, and rabbits.  For more than just the pictures above, there's a link in this video of how things looked that week (though with a different biome layout): https://www.twitch.tv/lowimpact_/video/425012426.  You can see rabbits waking up in the video, which shows how many more rabbits that map had, and suggests how much more resources it had overall.

Danish Clinch.

#48 2022-04-21 00:02:09

fug

The issue is definitely not that there are too few resources, it's that you need to get a bunch of veterans running around to solve a problem that is impossible to explain or for a new player to solve themselves. The magic barrier systems don't make sense as is, and only serve as a means to stop veteran players from getting things done sooner. At no point can I or anyone else by themselves fix the water issues that pop up in town.

This leads to people dying off at newcomen pump stage if veterans aren't running around in circles making a bunch of rubber.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#49 2022-04-21 01:03:53

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

The issue is definitely not that there are too few resources ...

Well, greater density of milkweed on the map would mean that veterans could make ropes from the wild faster for buckets.  Same goes for rabbits, though not as pronounced I think.  It would be less time walking around.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2022-04-21 01:04:21)

Danish Clinch.

#50 2022-04-21 01:17:10

fug

But the bottleneck isn't buckets or rabbits, or anything that would be effected by having more spawns.

The current bottleneck is whether or not people are willing to run around and collect rubber supplies. It feels like the same small group of players are coordinating so the rest of us can spend out time teaching new players how to do stuff.

The issue is right now none of us can teach how to fix this issue because you can't just walk a new player to a different town, then to a second different town to show how rubber is made. It's an issue that can only be solved by people coordinating outside the game which is in my opinion a design flaw. No one is trading, they're just having their friends be born a different color and giving the items needed to each family so the game is playable. That's a problem in my opinion.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer