One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-11 12:41:24

Tarr
Banned

Twin Eves don't speak the same language btw.

As the title says if you play any sort of twins+ to try to start a village quickly you'll be glad to know twins/trip/quad eves don't speak the same language.

Bravo on the dumpster fire update.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-05-11 12:44:24

karltown_veteran

Re: Twin Eves don't speak the same language btw.

Jason's trying his best. Personally I think it will be cool to try and play diplomatic charades with someone you can't understand.
Also, most twins do voiceover or talk on discord, so it's not that big of a deal and can hopefully be fixed soon.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2019-05-11 12:44:50

Spoonwood

Too bad you can't twin Eve with Jason and curse him immediately after she names herself for Jason making this update.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-05-11 12:44:53

FeignedSanity

I personally enjoy that change. Besides, you'll probably be in discord with your twin anyway.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#5 2019-05-11 12:46:44

Spoonwood

karltown_veteran wrote:

Jason's trying his best.

Nope, I'm not buying it.  Jason has done nothing about the lineage ban in spite of people informing him that it would persuaded people to play more for their families.  Also, it requires a bucket of water to make a sword, something that only griefers will do.  He knows that water makes for a serious issues.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2019-05-11 12:50:52

Tarr
Banned

karltown_veteran wrote:

Jason's trying his best. Personally I think it will be cool to try and play diplomatic charades with someone you can't understand.
Also, most twins do voiceover or talk on discord, so it's not that big of a deal and can hopefully be fixed soon.

Yes, but issues like this were brought up before the update went live to make sure stuff like this could be fixed. What is the point of making twin Eves the same model if they don't share language? You might as well make twin/trip/quads all different models of Eves to show that they're specifically not related or something to push the point.

I'm sure it would be annoying trying to make a glance and ask someone for something to get a big pile of gibberish fly out of their mouth because whoops you asked the wrong person in the village. It makes sense to have that sort of thing when you can very easily spot an outsider "I can't speak to the ginger baker so I'll ask the white one" but when everyone is the same tone, same model it doesn't make sense at all to have this in the game.

I am all for giving Jason the benefit of the doubt but he's either purposely reintroduced butter knife weapons or released the same exact bug for a third time which I think warrants a bit of ire. Last week he made sure to ask "hey this all look good?" and we made sure to get fixes on the stuff before patch while this week he slaps in another bugged weapon (the last four weapons have been bugged BTW.) without making sure it actually works.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-05-11 12:51:45

karltown_veteran

Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Jason's trying his best.

Nope, I'm not buying it.  Jason has done nothing about the lineage ban in spite of people informing him that it would persuaded people to play more for their families.  Also, it requires a bucket of water to make a sword, something that only griefers will do.  He knows that water makes for a serious issues.

The lineage ban: Jason may not want the game to go in the direction most players want it to go. That's ok.

As for the water, we will probably learn to deal with the new water sources soon and then this sword will be useful.
I don't think war is griefing. It's just an unfamiliar concept. We've only had this update for less than 24 hours so how about y'all play it a few times and see how it goes?

Maybe Jason wants towns to wipe each other out. After all, the end of this game is supposed to be a major apocalypse where we destroy ourselves.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#8 2019-05-11 12:57:31

karltown_veteran

Tarr wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Yes, but issues like this were brought up before the update went live to make sure stuff like this could be fixed. What is the point of making twin Eves the same model if they don't share language? You might as well make twin/trip/quads all different models of Eves to show that they're specifically not related or something to push the point.

I'm sure it would be annoying trying to make a glance and ask someone for something to get a big pile of gibberish fly out of their mouth because whoops you asked the wrong person in the village. It makes sense to have that sort of thing when you can very easily spot an outsider "I can't speak to the ginger baker so I'll ask the white one" but when everyone is the same tone, same model it doesn't make sense at all to have this in the game.

I am all for giving Jason the benefit of the doubt but he's either purposely reintroduced butter knife weapons or released the same exact bug for a third time which I think warrants a bit of ire. Last week he made sure to ask "hey this all look good?" and we made sure to get fixes on the stuff before patch while this week he slaps in another bugged weapon (the last four weapons have been bugged BTW.) without making sure it actually works.

I don't think he intentionally made twin Eves speak different languages if that's what you mean.

There's a bug in the sword?

If everyone is the same model, you just learn their names. You have to do that if you want to find out what happened to them on the family tree, anyway. Plus, other towns come from other eves so the models will probably be slightly different.

Gibberish will be fun and exciting for a certain percent of players, for the players that don't like it it won't be too life changing since usually towns don't meet each other. Also I think he's trying to make sure towns aren't too friendly towards each other? Maybe he wants people to stay in their towns and not mix with other towns? Lots of misunderstandings that lead to war? I don't really know where he's going with the update, but that's the sort of thing that happened in real life.

#9 2019-05-11 13:07:46

Tarr
Banned

karltown_veteran wrote:

I don't think he intentionally made twin Eves speak different languages if that's what you mean.

If everyone is the same model, you just learn their names. You have to do that if you want to find out what happened to them on the family tree, anyway. Plus, other towns come from other eves so the models will probably be slightly different.

Gibberish will be fun and exciting for a certain percent of players, for the players that don't like it it won't be too life changing since usually towns don't meet each other. Also I think he's trying to make sure towns aren't too friendly towards each other? Maybe he wants people to stay in their towns and not mix with other towns? Lots of misunderstandings that lead to war? I don't really know where he's going with the update, but that's the sort of thing that happened in real life.

Yes, swords are bugged to allow you to drop them and eat, run at full speed while stabbing people, and clicking people repeatedly stacks up the wound timer to kill them even faster. This is the third time this exact bug has appeared which is why I'm not being the least bit lenient on the fact it exists. This could have easily been prevented because as soon as he posted swords to the github onetech showed it was missing the transition to stop this bug from being exploited. This is one of those things where if Jason had said "well lets make sure this works." it could have been prevented.

I really don't mind gibberish between people who look different since it's easy to tell who won't understand you and makes for a neat (yet gimmicky) game mechanic. The issue I'm having is that unless you are hovering over everyone in the village you won't know if they'll understand you. He explicitly went out of the way to make sure you would know if someone in your village could understand you (he made everyone stay the same skin tone in a lineage) so if you seen an outsider you would know it from first glance. Making Eves be twins (same model) but not giving access to the same language means that everyone looks the same without you knowing if people actually understand you. This was something that had ALSO been brought up earlier in the week but was either ignored or not worth looking into.

The different language stuff is fine but twin+ eves shouldn't be the same model if they're not going to speak the same thing. We have four different skin ranges and can play up to quad eves so put two and two together. Make each Eve a different model to show that they aren't related or make the twins actually speak the same language. Adding in random nonsense like this doesn't add to the game just makes it more annoying for no reason.

TL:DR; Jason released another bugged weapon, Eves shouldn't be the same model in twins+ or should just speak the same language.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-05-11 14:06:58

karltown_veteran

Tarr wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Yes, swords are bugged to allow you to drop them and eat, run at full speed while stabbing people, and clicking people repeatedly stacks up the wound timer to kill them even faster. This is the third time this exact bug has appeared which is why I'm not being the least bit lenient on the fact it exists. This could have easily been prevented because as soon as he posted swords to the github onetech showed it was missing the transition to stop this bug from being exploited. This is one of those things where if Jason had said "well lets make sure this works." it could have been prevented.

I really don't mind gibberish between people who look different since it's easy to tell who won't understand you and makes for a neat (yet gimmicky) game mechanic. The issue I'm having is that unless you are hovering over everyone in the village you won't know if they'll understand you. He explicitly went out of the way to make sure you would know if someone in your village could understand you (he made everyone stay the same skin tone in a lineage) so if you seen an outsider you would know it from first glance. Making Eves be twins (same model) but not giving access to the same language means that everyone looks the same without you knowing if people actually understand you. This was something that had ALSO been brought up earlier in the week but was either ignored or not worth looking into.

The different language stuff is fine but twin+ eves shouldn't be the same model if they're not going to speak the same thing. We have four different skin ranges and can play up to quad eves so put two and two together. Make each Eve a different model to show that they aren't related or make the twins actually speak the same language. Adding in random nonsense like this doesn't add to the game just makes it more annoying for no reason.

TL:DR; Jason released another bugged weapon, Eves shouldn't be the same model in twins+ or should just speak the same language.

I don't think it's a bug. Pretty sure he wants swords to be overpowered because it should be easy to wage war on people not in your family. I don't think many people will use swords after they've tried them out a bit, though, because it would be much better to trade with the other town. And you could always use property fences to protect against attacks.

#11 2019-05-11 14:40:35

WalrusesConquer

In twin eves it was really interesting and funny since mainly the dependants are confused - not the eves

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#12 2019-05-11 14:41:09

FeignedSanity

Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Jason's trying his best.

"Oh, Jason isn't just mindlessly bending to the will of a vocal minority telling him how his game should be made/how I think his game should be made, therefore he isn't really trying". I mean, you've said a lot of stupid shit, but this one I actually feel obligated to comment on. Really not a good look.

#13 2019-05-11 14:56:02

spurofthemoment

"In twin eves it was really interesting and funny since mainly the dependants are confused - not the eves" (Sorry I'm editing the post and don't know how to quote from here)

That's the main issue I have with the language update...language isn't inherited, but learned. Kids who grow up in the presence of two languages should be bilingual, not confused. That's probably ridiculously hard to code in though, so I'll forgive it.

To the people who don't like the update:

This is the point where I think it's becoming obvious that Jason has some sort of creative vision for the game that doesn't line up with some of the more vocal players' opinions. Personally, I've always thought killing is a super interesting part of the game because it messes up the status quo and allows for some cool rp, although I'm afraid to kill anyone myself because I don't want to end up in Donkey Town. Then again, I'm a theater nerd who's always been a fan of stuff like Hamlet and Macbeth, so of course I'm gonna like war and murderers as part of a survival game. Clearly, though, there are a lot of people who want to use it as sort of a building sandbox, which is great and all, but I'm not sure if that's where Jason wants to go with it.

The fact that there even ARE griefers who kill people for "rp shit" like making dresses as I saw someone say on another thread shows that some people really just want to build as much as efficiently as possible, which is great, but...I don't think that's where the game is going. This is a RP game at its heart, and I honestly think Jason wants that RP to include war and murder.

And as far as wasting resources goes...isn't the concept of this game to see how many generations it will take us to get to our current level of technology? Do you know how many resources we've wasted irl to get where we are today? How many people we've killed? How much we've destroyed? It's not pretty, but if we're gonna get in-game to where we are irl, we're gonna have to waste a crap ton of resources. That's just how it goes.

Then again, what the fans think is a crucial aspect of the game's success, so if most people are against it then Jason will have to figure something else out. Like FeignedSanity said, I think it's just a vocal minority who really hate it, but I could be wrong.

A poll would honestly be nice...that's a good way to get a lot of opinions at once.

And maybe there could be some sort of sandbox server where murder and war is impossible for those who just want to build.

Last edited by spurofthemoment (2019-05-11 15:01:30)

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#14 2019-05-11 15:05:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, this is a huge change to the game, so there are clearly some holes.  They will be fixed over time.  Some will be fixed today.

In terms of "trying my best," I probably put in 11 hours of non-stop programming for three days in a row to make all the code changes that were necessary to make this update happen.

#15 2019-05-11 15:09:34

FeignedSanity

I know you probably get this a lot, but I figured now might be a good time to say that I personally appreciate all the work you put into this game. It's clear to people, that aren't blinded by ignorance, that you really care about this a lot and work very hard on it.

#16 2019-05-11 16:04:14

RedComb

FeignedSanity wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

"Oh, Jason isn't just mindlessly bending to the will of a vocal minority telling him how his game should be made/how I think his game should be made, therefore he isn't really trying". I mean, you've said a lot of stupid shit, but this one I actually feel obligated to comment on. Really not a good look.

Throwing quotation marks around your own version of what somebody said is literally putting words into another person's mouth. That is really not a good look.

Also, characterizing critics as people who are "blinded by ignorance" (and setting yourself apart from them) is questionable.

Genuine criticism is vitally important to a dev improving both themselves and their game.

What's more, downplaying the concerns of others by telling a dev that they are great only drowns out what might be really useful feedback.

See: On getting criticism (Raph Koster)

(FYI: Raph Koster was the lead designer on the grand daddy of all MMORPG's, Ultima Online, as well as Star War Galaxies, pre-NGE)

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-11 16:04:56)

#17 2019-05-11 16:27:14

FeignedSanity

@ Redcomb

Hmmmm, for someone seemingly against "putting words into another person's mouth", you seem very keen to do it.

I never said he was great, just that he puts a lot of work into the game, which is evident.

Yes, genuine criticism is important. I never said it wasn't. But do you really consider "you're not really trying" to be genuine criticism? Because I don't. It was also just flat out false.

It's obvious that I was paraphrasing, which is why I also put the original quote. Are you not supposed to put quotation makes if you're paraphrasing. I admit that this could very well be ignorance about punctuation on my part, so feel free to tell me what punctuation I should've used instead. Do you believe that paraphrasing is not a good look? Genuinely curious, because I suppose you could make an argument for it.

As far as being blinded by ignorance; I believe that, yes, anyone who could make a statement like that would have to be blinded by something, I just figured ignorance would be the most likely. I do believe that for people that are not blinded by ignorance (as the hypothetical I originally stated it as) would be able to clearly see that he is trying. That much is fucking obvious. He is "trying" every week. He is doing stuff every week. Even if he's making mistakes, you can't claim he isn't trying.

Edit: maybe it's not clear that he cares a lot about it, but that's the impression. It has to be important for some reason and that appears to be the most likely.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-11 16:30:45)

#18 2019-05-11 16:37:51

spurofthemoment

@Redcomb, I really like the take on criticism you posted. Definitely something I'll keep in mind for my own work. I think the issue people are having with each other is that criticism from both sides (by which I mean criticism of the game and criticism of the criticism, if that makes sense) is usually really strongly worded, if not in the original complaint then in the replies that follow it. It's hard to make an individual voice heard among so many people, but strong language and biting sarcasm doesn't help, especially when everyone's doing it so it doesn't set anyone apart. This isn't to single anyone out...I've seen people of all opinions on this site (and on the Internet at large) go at each other's throats and it really isn't constructive in the long run.

Like it says in the article you posted, all criticism is good criticism, but it's important to remember that for anyone who creates anything, even the nicest criticism can sting, especially if the creator is new to sharing their work. (Speaking from personal experience.) Although it's certainly on the creator to grow a thicker skin, people with criticism actually help themselves by remaining professional with their language and phrasing, because most of the time it makes the creator more open to hear the complaint. This is done without compromising any part of the criticism, of course! However, I do think there's lots of more effective ways to make a point than using strong language, sarcasm, and mockery; three inherently alienating techniques that can turn the listener against the speaker before they even get a chance to process what's been said.

Then again, some people just wanna watch the world burn and start fights on purpose. Which...you can't do anything about that. But, people who stay professional are easily distinguishable from trolls, which helps people decide who to take seriously and who to disregard.

Anyway, that's my TED talk no one asked for...lol. Hopefully this all gets resolved soon, as much as it can be.

Last edited by spurofthemoment (2019-05-11 16:39:25)

My name's Ash. And yes, I want to be the very best, like no one ever was.

And no, I've never played Pokemon. It just...kinda happened that way.

#19 2019-05-11 16:41:42

FeignedSanity

Yes, everyone can agree that criticism is invaluable. But just saying that someone isn't trying because they're not doing exactly what you want them to do is just being a dick head. You can say that their labor probably wont provide fruit. You can even say that they are working against themselves. But you can't say someone isn't working, or trying, unless there is a lack of effort.

#20 2019-05-11 17:06:34

RedComb

@ FeignedSanity

Fair point about the putting words into your mouth. When I read what you said to Spoonwood, and then your post to the dev, it just struck me as cheerleading. I can see you were just praising his work ethic though (in response to what spoonwood said). I'm honestly salty about the update, having only recently bought the game and feeling misled, so I'm not thinking clearly tbh.

With that said, using quotation marks indicates you are relaying the message exactly as it was said or written. You don't paraphrase something and then throw quotes around it. The correct way to paraphrase is to come out and say something like so, in other words, you are saying xyz.... (and then writing what you think they meant). That way, it is very clear you are offering up an interpretation of what they said.

When you throw quotes around what you think they were saying, it comes across like you are willfully misrepresenting what somebody said to make them look bad, at least to somebody who understands that quotes must be exact.

For example, political candidate says "I do not support a tax increase to pay teachers more. We just can't afford it right now." Then a newspaper prints that quote, but underneath it puts in quotes "I hate children and want them to be stupid." The paper could certainly feature an editorial about why the candidate's response means he doesn't care about kids or their education, but even then, it wouldn't include a fake quote which implies he or she said something they never said.

Doing it that way just seems like you are creating a strawman to knock down.

Anyway, I need to step away... Like I said, I admit I shouldn't read that much into this because I am pretty upset by this update and feel misled. Based on things I've seen in posts here, it seems people feel those who want this game to be a "sandbox building" type game are in a misguided minority, so when you said "vocal minority," it just pissed me off because I wasn't exactly sure who that was directed it.

I think my criticism is valid, even if I'm just a new player and the dev has some awesome creative vision and there are many people who love that he is following his vision and won't kowtow to the criticism. I see you meant something more specific in response to somebody, though. So, please disregard.

Just not happy that what is found on the Steam Store page and in various YT videos doesn't seem to highlight a vision that includes war swords and the racial/language/xenophobic b.s.

I wouldn't have bought this game if I realized it was going to be based on conflict, griefing, and building walls to keep out strangers. Some of my first impressions of this game were being born into a village where everybody was black and players shouting "BLACK MASTER RACE" and people saying the N word.

Seeing this kind of crap when I'm trying to chill out is soooo fun. Hard to care more about my lineage or any of that stuff when I don't even feel like playing anymore.

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-11 17:12:58)

#21 2019-05-11 17:32:10

RedComb

spurofthemoment wrote:

This is the point where I think it's becoming obvious that Jason has some sort of creative vision for the game that doesn't line up with some of the more vocal players' opinions. Personally, I've always thought killing is a super interesting part of the game because it messes up the status quo and allows for some cool rp, although I'm afraid to kill anyone myself because I don't want to end up in Donkey Town. Then again, I'm a theater nerd who's always been a fan of stuff like Hamlet and Macbeth, so of course I'm gonna like war and murderers as part of a survival game. Clearly, though, there are a lot of people who want to use it as sort of a building sandbox, which is great and all, but I'm not sure if that's where Jason wants to go with it.

The fact that there even ARE griefers who kill people for "rp shit" like making dresses as I saw someone say on another thread shows that some people really just want to build as much as efficiently as possible, which is great, but...I don't think that's where the game is going. This is a RP game at its heart, and I honestly think Jason wants that RP to include war and murder.

Then again, what the fans think is a crucial aspect of the game's success, so if most people are against it then Jason will have to figure something else out. Like FeignedSanity said, I think it's just a vocal minority who really hate it, but I could be wrong.

I just want to quote something from that blog post I linked to earlier that I hope the dev will consider.

It addresses what you are saying about his creative vision and the problems if it conflicts with what some players want, especially a lot of players.

Emphasis added by me:

You often have to choose between your ideals and your message.

One of the commonest pieces of feedback I get is that I am choosing some philosophical ideal over the player’s experience. It might be getting wedded to an aesthetic or visual I love that is just confusing the issue. It might be sticking with PvP for too long in order to serve an ideal of virtual citizenship, not paying attention to how many players are being chased out of the game.

The irony here, of course, is that if I can’t make the player’s experience positive enough, my ideal is failing to reach them anyway. And what good is it then?

It doesn’t mean I have to give up on the philosophical ideal. But it does mean that there are many many ways to compromise, and not all of them leave you compromised. In fact, being uncompromising may be the least successful way to achieve your artistic goal.

Last edited by RedComb (2019-05-11 17:37:09)

#22 2019-05-11 17:40:53

FeignedSanity

@redcomb

I get that, and I genuinely feel for you. I've had my own moments of "feeling mislead" with this game, and it really sucks. I think this game is marketed as a "paid alpha", which implies that the game is, very much, subject to change. Maybe more emphasis should be made on this point.

Thank you for the clarification on quotation marks. I will work on adding more clarification when paraphrasing to prevent future misunderstandings. Are you saying that no punctuation goes around the paraphrasing at all? I feel like that's not right.

Example: So, in other words, you're saying this guy doesn't care because he's not doing what I want?
Example: So, in other words, you're saying "this guy doesn't care because he's not doing what I want?"

The first one doesn't really have the right feel. Makes it kind of difficult to see where the paraphrasing begins. When you've had your respite, I would appreciate a little more clarity on what you mean.

I appreciate the apology (if it was an apology), and I understand where you're coming from. I've done my fair share of saying stuff when not thinking clearly. I don't hold it against you, it happens to the best of us.

And this update is kind of par for the course. The game is drifting too much in one direction, so he does something that pushes it in the other. When you could murder people one after the other (no murder cooldown or bleeding out state), he added it to even things out. When people do nothing but share everything all the time, he adds fences. I guess it's a matter of balance. At least that's my interpretation of his actions.

Source here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riqu2eszsIg (at 2:27)

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-05-11 17:43:30)

#23 2019-05-11 17:42:41

Spoonwood

karltown_veteran wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Jason's trying his best.

The lineage ban: Jason may not want the game to go in the direction most players want it to go. That's ok.

No, it is NOT o.k.  It is Jason refusing to be consistent with him saying that he wants people to play for their lineages.  Ending the lineage ban would make it so that more people would want to play for their lineages.  In that way Jason isn't trying to encourage people to play for their lineages.

karltown_veteran wrote:

As for the water, we will probably learn to deal with the new water sources soon and then this sword will be useful.
I don't think war is griefing. It's just an unfamiliar concept. We've only had this update for less than 24 hours so how about y'all play it a few times and see how it goes?

Doomed ideas come as doomed to fail, and 'seeing how it goes' just comes as a waste of time.  It's fairly simple.  1. People warring are NOT increasing the food supply in diversity or making temperature better for people.  So, warring people come as less likely to have children.  And 2. Families simply can't afford more causalities.  Why do lineages die out?  Often because the women or girls get murdered.  With war that's even more likely to happen.  With women going out to war on other families, which will at least get attempted more often now, that means more fertile females dying out dooming more lineages.  This isn't difficult to see in advance.  Jason apparently doesn't want to write code that encourages people to play for their lineages.

karltown_veteran wrote:

Maybe Jason wants towns to wipe each other out. After all, the end of this game is supposed to be a major apocalypse where we destroy ourselves.

So both families die?  Oh... that is NOT people playing for their lineages.

Danish Clinch.

#24 2019-05-11 17:48:16

Spoonwood

FeignedSanity wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

Jason's trying his best.

Jason comes as the person who has said that he wants people to play for their lineages.  Do I need to dig up quotes for you?  It's on record on the forums.  Here you go:

JasonRohrer wrote:

As I've said many times, I want your decisions in the game to matter, at all levels.  I want running a successful village to be hard, and I want you to care enough to get good at handling that challenge.  I want town leadership to be necessary, because the challenge is so difficult, and I want disagreements and politics to unfold around that leadership.  I want the survival of your family to really matter to you.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6087

If you think that this update is consistent with people playing for their families, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Danish Clinch.

#25 2019-05-11 17:54:24

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, this is a huge change to the game, so there are clearly some holes.  They will be fixed over time.  Some will be fixed today.

Nope.  You won't fix the main hole, swords themselves.  You simply won't remove swords or nerf them sufficiently to discourage war.  And since you won't do that, you won't implement changes that encourage people to play for their lineages.  See that post above from the person who mentions MacBeth and Hamlet who likes murder?  That isn't someone who will feel inclined to play for his/her lineage.  Families simply come as too small in this game to absorb population losses.

jasonrohrer wrote:

In terms of "trying my best," I probably put in 11 hours of non-stop programming for three days in a row to make all the code changes that were necessary to make this update happen.

So what?  That doesn't mean you've thought one bit about how such changes will encourage or discourage people to play for their lineage's survival.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer