One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-17 22:51:14

catbert7

Tutorial vid: How to start farms completely on your own; hard mode!

I've seen a couple tutorial videos of this sort but I notice that they all seem to start off with a crazy lucky spawn point that is brimming with milkweed, berries, and everything a person could want. My experience has been... VERY different from that tongue Everytime I have spawned as an Eve it has been in lands almost completely devoid of milkweed, due to previous players stripping it bare. If you want to know how to survive in this sort of environment, on your own and without using any other player's work as a crutch, this video will show you how. I consider this approach to be a fun challenge, as well as a helpful lesson.

Tutorial: From Nothing to Farms!
Or you can navigate to it through my YouTube channel: catbert7's Gaming Highlights

Hope it helps anyone who's struggling to make it in the wilds wink

Last edited by catbert7 (2018-03-24 03:18:24)

#2 2018-03-18 20:03:19

catbert7

Re: Tutorial vid: How to start farms completely on your own; hard mode!

Do note that the next priority after getting a farm running should probably be to get a milkweed farm running. This would follow the same process (get seeds from milkweed, plant in tilled row, water). I'd go for at least 12 rows but the more the merrier. After that, you'll probably be low on soil so you should look into composting (use bowl on full berry bush, add carrot to bowl, mash with sharp stone, pour onto reed bundle, water). Then make clothes, starting with a backpack. Follow with planting some wheat to prepare for pie-making.

You'd have to be very lucky in your starting location to get most of this done on your own but, even if you're not, you can pass these priorities on to your kid(s) wink

#3 2018-03-24 03:22:22

catbert7

I'm curious, does anyone else enjoy starting from scratch (for the challenge of seeing how far you can get through self-sufficiency) while also feeling slightly guilty for playing this clearly cooperative-oriented game in solo mode? tongue

#4 2018-03-24 05:53:30

Thorware

catbert7 wrote:

I'm curious, does anyone else enjoy starting from scratch (for the challenge of seeing how far you can get through self-sufficiency) while also feeling slightly guilty for playing this clearly cooperative-oriented game in solo mode? tongue

I do this once in awhile for fun and don't feel guilty in the slightest. You are not harming anyone, you are only stunting your own effectiveness by not leveraging the resources already built by other players or the power of cooperation. You can run off in any direction at any time and reinvent the wheel. Maybe the far-flung seeds you plant will become a more promising development than the resource-starved and noob-ruined common areas anyway.

In fact, the game seems meant to support exactly this. It's much easier for a lone person to get effective work done than to coordinate since there is a single goal, single plan, and no miscommunication. It's also easier for a lone person to establish a village/farm from scratch, especially with a limited berry supply. Try playing as Eve in the wilderness once while raising several kids, and again letting every kid die, and see which ends up more long-term productive for the area.

Board footer